ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to the Pitt game....

BIGOSUFAN

Prep
Aug 7, 2001
Greetings Pitt fans, I'm going to the Pitt-OSU game and had some questions.

1) My wife and her family are from Kittanning/Ford City and we'll be coming down 28 on Saturday morning. It's normally about 45 minutes from Armstrong County to downtown Pittsburgh. How much traffic should I expect on a gameday? I'd like to be in the stadium at 11 AM (kickoff is at noon) as I like to watch warmups.

2) Any recommendations for parking?

3) They serve beer at Pitt games like they do at Steeler games?

4) Our seats are on the 45-yard line, four rows up behind the OSU bench. I'll be decked out in OSU gear, my father-in-Law will be cheering for Pitt. How much of a razzing can I expect?

Thanks!

28 inbound can be a mess. From Ford City....leave at 9:30 to get to town and park to be in the stadium by 11.

But I would also check local news that week as there may be road closures, roadwork, etc.

I recommend coming early and parking to the east of PNC Park, if you don't mind a longer walk. Or park downtown, have breakfast, and take the subway (free). you won't be hazed too badly, that happens on Sundays. And yes, you can buy beer in the stadium.

1) My wife and her family are from Kittanning/Ford City and we'll be coming down 28 on Saturday morning. It's normally about 45 minutes from Armstrong County to downtown Pittsburgh. How much traffic should I expect on a gameday? I'd like to be in the stadium at 11 AM (kickoff is at noon) as I like to watch warmups.

4) Our seats are on the 45-yard line, four rows up behind the OSU bench. I'll be decked out in OSU gear, my father-in-Law will be cheering for Pitt. How much of a razzing can I expect?

Thanks!
sorry to hear about the 45 yard line seats as imo they are some of the worst in the house at a Pitt game. Idiots up and down the aisles during play so you have to have obstructed views looking both left and looking right. There is 45 seconds between plays and multiple tv and injury timeouts and people are up and about (and allowed to do so) during play. Sorry, had access to same seats on pitt side and it has always been a major peeve of mine.

Like most said, I'd leave around 9:30 to be safe. Honestly, I'd park downtown. It's cheaper and you can take the T which is free to the stadium. Most of the lots around the stadium are permit only you don't know the area well, it can get confusing.

They do serve beer and you'll be fine. There are always your idiot fans, everyone has them, but the majority of people will treat you great.

Have fun!

And you are hanging on the Pitt site posting about a fan from OSU..why?

Sure, we play each other in a month which is why I dropped by and another opponent asked how opposing fans are treated, I could speak from experience. Now you know Pitt fans are civil, and I know Pitt fans are civil, but the guys behind me did not get the memo!

Park downtown and take the T (since it's free as others have said) the very last stop is Heinz field so you can't miss it. Or walk across the bridges.

You can also park at Station Square and take the Gateway Clipper Boat ride to the stadium. Great way to enjoy view of city and the stadium. Easy walk to seating from where boat drops you off and then nice ride back after game.

Thanks!
Do allow yourself extra time. There's always construction somewhere along the way, and the sooner that you get your car parked, the happier you'll be.

The idea of parking in the Station Square area, then taking the ferry/shuttle across the river to the stadium is a good one; I'd advise it for anyone coming into town for the first time, if only because of the unique experience.

Once you're on the North Shore (near Heinz Field), there will be plenty to do before the game, especially if you're into the bar scene. Some people enjoy checking-out the Great Hall (inside the stadium), which has a lot of Pitt and Steelers memorabilia on display.

Last year, Heinz Field started selling beer to those who aren't in the Club seats, so you're covered.

Because Heinz Field is an NFL stadium, Pitt security has to adhere to the NFL security policies. This includes strict rules pertaining to the kinds and sizes of purses that your women-folk might have, and other rules, too. You might want to get acquainted with those ahead of time.

And yeah, don't expect too much in the way of hassling from the fans. Pitt fans are usually reasonable.

Reactions: Pitt0912
Do allow yourself extra time. There's always construction somewhere along the way, and the sooner that you get your car parked, the happier you'll be.

The idea of parking in the Station Square area, then taking the ferry/shuttle across the river to the stadium is a good one; I'd advise it for anyone coming into town for the first time, if only because of the unique experience.

Once you're on the North Shore (near Heinz Field), there will be plenty to do before the game, especially if you're into the bar scene. Some people enjoy checking-out the Great Hall (inside the stadium), which has a lot of Pitt and Steelers memorabilia on display.

Last year, Heinz Field started selling beer to those who aren't in the Club seats, so you're covered.

Because Heinz Field is an NFL stadium, Pitt security has to adhere to the NFL security policies. This includes strict rules pertaining to the kinds and sizes of purses that your women-folk might have, and other rules, too. You might want to get acquainted with those ahead of time.

And yeah, don't expect too much in the way of hassling from the fans. Pitt fans are usually reasonable.

I know Station Square well as my wedding was there. The wife and I were married at St. Mary of the Mount overlooking the city. Our wedding hotel was the Sheraton in Station Square and our reception was at the Grand Concourse.

Reactions: Pitt0912
I know Station Square well as my wedding was there. The wife and I were married at St. Mary of the Mount overlooking the city. Our wedding hotel was the Sheraton in Station Square and our reception was at the Grand Concourse.
Good. Then you know that the shuttle docks close to the Sheraton. The round-trip boat ride over is a nice experience, especially if the weather's nice. But you probably won't want to do that if you'd rather explore Pittsburgh's downtown area before/after the game.

Thanks!

Seriously, since you are coming from that area, Friday night get your in laws to take you to the Villa, right outside of Ford City. It is old school Italian-American red sauce joint right out of the 50's and 60's. Great food and portions. You will feel like it is 1964, and from some of the clientele in there, they will look like it is 1964. But seriously it is good, classic red sauce Italian food.

Seriously, since you are coming from that area, Friday night get your in laws to take you to the Villa, right outside of Ford City. It is old school Italian-American red sauce joint right out of the 50's and 60's. Great food and portions. You will feel like it is 1964, and from some of the clientele in there, they will look like it is 1964. But seriously it is good, classic red sauce Italian food.

You from the area?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT