ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs UVa game for game comparison

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
As we know, Pitt had the better overall resume but UVa got in over for us for the token 5th ACC bid because they had a better OOC SOS. But, my contention is that their OOC SOS shouldn't have been a deciding factor because our ACC SOS was much more difficult to the point where our overall SOS was actually better (only by 1 spot). When teams are this close and played in the same conference with overall SOS only sepatated by 1 spot, shouldn't you go game for game? Here's what it is;

- The 2 teams played 13 of the same game with the same result with the slight exception that Pitt won in Morgantown while UVa beat WVU in Fort Myers. Also, UVa won in Tallahassee while Pitt beat FSU at The Pete. They both lost at UNC and at Wake

So, right there, we are down to a 20 game schedule to compare:

Games Pitt won that UVa could not win
@ Duke - Pitt won, UVa lost
@ NC State - Pitt won, UVa lost

Games UVa won that Pitt could not
@ Clemson
@ Miami
@ Syracuse
Florida neutral

* This category is an advantage to UVa. 4 wins to 2. However, UVa's Fla neutral win basically equates to our win @ NC State. And our win @ Duke is better than the others they have.

Comparing cupcake wins:
Pitt UVa
297 339
275 278
274 272
266 244
246 145

Unfortunately for Pitt, Oregon State is in this category when a game like that isnt supposed to be.

We are down to a 11 game schedule now so we have to compare similar wins:

Pitt UVa
43 Wake neutral --- 45 Texas A&M (home)
63 NCSU home --- 81 BC neutral

Similar losses
Pitt UVa
8 UNC neutral --- 21 Wisconsin neutral
10 Duke home --- @ 60 VT
35 Clemson home --- @ 75 Memphis
84 Syracuse home --- 63 NC State neutral
158 Missouri --- @ 124 ND

***Head to Head***
Pitt won at Virginia

I mean, come on, for resumes this close. Similar records, similar SOS, dont you look at head to head and if that isnt persuasive enough, go to NET, KenPom, and BPI where Pitt is significantly better. I still cant believe they used non-con SOS to justify it when everything else was in our favor. If the SEC gave us Texas A&M to lose to and they beat Missouri, we are in. Its all so stupid. We beat them. We deserved the 5th ACC spot.

I dont believe any intelligent human being could look at this and determine that UVa was more deserving.

As we know, Pitt had the better overall resume but UVa got in over for us for the token 5th ACC bid because they had a better OOC SOS. But, my contention is that their OOC SOS shouldn't have been a deciding factor because our ACC SOS was much more difficult to the point where our overall SOS was actually better (only by 1 spot). When teams are this close and played in the same conference with overall SOS only sepatated by 1 spot, shouldn't you go game for game? Here's what it is;

- The 2 teams played 13 of the same game with the same result with the slight exception that Pitt won in Morgantown while UVa beat WVU in Fort Myers. Also, UVa won in Tallahassee while Pitt beat FSU at The Pete. They both lost at UNC and at Wake

So, right there, we are down to a 20 game schedule to compare:

Games Pitt won that UVa could not win
@ Duke - Pitt won, UVa lost
@ NC State - Pitt won, UVa lost

Games UVa won that Pitt could not
@ Clemson
@ Miami
@ Syracuse
Florida neutral

* This category is an advantage to UVa. 4 wins to 2. However, UVa's Fla neutral win basically equates to our win @ NC State. And our win @ Duke is better than the others they have.

Comparing cupcake wins:
Pitt UVa
297 339
275 278
274 272
266 244
246 145

Unfortunately for Pitt, Oregon State is in this category when a game like that isnt supposed to be.

We are down to a 11 game schedule now so we have to compare similar wins:

Pitt UVa
43 Wake neutral --- 45 Texas A&M (home)
63 NCSU home --- 81 BC neutral

Similar losses
Pitt UVa
8 UNC neutral --- 21 Wisconsin neutral
10 Duke home --- @ 60 VT
35 Clemson home --- @ 75 Memphis
84 Syracuse home --- 63 NC State neutral
158 Missouri --- @ 124 ND

***Head to Head***
Pitt won at Virginia

I mean, come on, for resumes this close. Similar records, similar SOS, dont you look at head to head and if that isnt persuasive enough, go to NET, KenPom, and BPI where Pitt is significantly better. I still cant believe they used non-con SOS to justify it when everything else was in our favor. If the SEC gave us Texas A&M to lose to and they beat Missouri, we are in. Its all so stupid. We beat them. We deserved the 5th ACC spot.

I dont believe any intelligent human being could look at this and determine that UVa was more deserving.
When has the committee ever not used OOC SOS? Everyone knew this going in. Pitt chose to roll with that OOC abomination. FWIW, UVA also scheduled Wisconsin & Memphis.

Now do Oklahoma, Seton Hall, and Indiana State. (NET of 29). The committee has all of those teams ahead of Pitt.

When has the committee ever not used OOC SOS? Everyone knew this going in. Pitt chose to roll with that OOC abomination. FWIW, UVA also scheduled Wisconsin & Memphis.

Now do Oklahoma, Seton Hall, and Indiana State. (NET of 29). The committee has all of those teams ahead of Pitt.

How many times do I have to tell you that the overall schedules that Pitt and UVa played were nearly identical. The difference was Pitt had the much tougher ACC schedule and UVa had the much tougher non-con. And the 2 teams even played each other. There is no reason to say "Well, UVa had a tougher 11 game OOC schedule, so lets give it to them." The other 22 games that were played were much harder for Pitt and in one of those games, Pitt beat UVa. If you compare the 2 teams game for game, its a no-brainer. As for the teams ahead of Pitt, that doesnt matter, because the ACC was never just getting 26% in.

Strength of record (which of all the silly metrics is the only one that makes sense)
UVA 27
Pitt 46

What's the site foe that? I could never find it. What does the head to head metric say?

KenPom
Pitt 40
UVa 69

NET
Pitt 40
UVa 54

BPI
Pitt 33
UVa 57

Eye test:
Pitt

Its a NO BRAINER decision

Let it go, man. Let it go.

I cant. Its one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Every other head to head like Clem over NC St, the resumes otherwise werent close. For Pitt/UVa, Pitt had the better game for game resume WITHOUT even considering the head to head and then that road win has to be a massive advantage for us.

What's the site foe that? I could never find it. What does the head to head metric say?

KenPom
Pitt 40
UVa 69

NET
Pitt 40
UVa 54

BPI
Pitt 33
UVa 57

Eye test:
Pitt

Its a NO BRAINER decision
Well considering I said of all the silly metrics… head to head isn’t a silly metric.

Google.com is your friend.

I cant. Its one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Every other head to head like Clem over NC St, the resumes otherwise werent close. For Pitt/UVa, Pitt had the better game for game resume WITHOUT even considering the head to head and then that road win has to be a massive advantage for us.
1). This isn't football. Head to head is borderline meaningless.

2). It wasn't between Pitt/UVA.

3). It really doesn't matter. Neither Pitt nor Virginia have a snowball's chance of winning the tournament.

1). This isn't football. Head to head is borderline meaningless.

2). It wasn't between Pitt/UVA.

3). It really doesn't matter. Neither Pitt nor Virginia have a snowball's chance of winning the tournament.

It was between Pitt/UVa I believe.

Head to head shouldn't be meaningless if the overall schedules are almost completely identical.

"It doesn't matter because we wouldn't win a national title" is a strange statement. I think most of us are dying to see a final four in our lifetime and would be over the hill with even a return to the sweet 16. I don't expect Pitt basketball to win a NC before I depart these pastures. I want the sort of run Miami had last year.

It wasn't. Colorado State was the last team in. After CSU, it was Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Indiana State, and then Pitt.

That's what the list says. I dont think the ACC was only getting 26%. So it was Pitt or UVa. The resumes were close but with an edge to Pitt in most categories.

Reactions: gary2
"It doesn't matter because we wouldn't win a national title" is a strange statement. I think most of us are dying to see a final four in our lifetime and would be over the hill with even a return to the sweet 16. I don't expect Pitt basketball to win a NC before I depart these pastures. I want the sort of run Miami had last year.
I get that. But the reason for the tournament is to determine a champion. So looking at the big picture without any sort of fan bias, it doesn't really matter.

I heard some Pitino quotes in one of his post game radio show that changed the way I look at tourney accomplishments. He said something along the lines that if you make the Elite 8, you've only made it halfway to where you want to be. Then he added, "So now we're done with the easy half of the bracket." ...That really puts it in perspective and he's not wrong.

a champion. So looking at the big picture without any sort of fan bias, it doesn't really matter.

I heard some Pitino quotes in one of his post game radio show that changed the way I look at tourney accomplishments. He said something along the lines that if you make
I think it makes sense to have different goals for different programs with different histories and budgets. For Duquesne, they just did something very special. For Kentucky, it's a trophy or bust. Pitino has spent a lot longer coaching at the Kentuckys than the Duquenses. He didn't stick around Providence long even if he did a great job there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT