ADVERTISEMENT

Concacaf champions-league if anyone cares

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
1st leg of the final was last night but it was a 10:30 start and too late for me to watch. Match ended in a 2-2 draw and the 2nd leg will be in Seattle. Cristian Roldan was fouled in the box in injury time and the PK was put home on the 90+9 minute.

has to be a great result for Seattle playing in Mexico,right?

Statistically, shots, shots on goal, corners, and possession were all pretty even.

MLS hasn’t won this competition in 22 years.

1st leg of the final was last night but it was a 10:30 start and too late for me to watch. Match ended in a 2-2 draw and the 2nd leg will be in Seattle. Cristian Roldan was fouled in the box in injury time and the PK was put home on the 90+9 minute.

Statistically, shots, shots on goal, corners, and possession were all pretty even.

Seattle will probably blow it and lose 3-0

I watched it. Seattle was and is the better team. Before the game, Alexi Lalas basically said Seattle is the favorite because Pumas is a mediocre Liga MX side who currently sit in 12th place. After watching the game, I'd agree. The game was pretty even but I felt Seattle was a little better. They should win next week where a Concacaf Champions League attendance record might be set

Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
Why are you guys watching MLS? I thought the quality was too poor for your tastes? :)

Just kidding, partially :) I admit I haven't watched, I'll have to check out the final game.

I remember once, I think around 2012 or so, Olympiacos beat Man U 2-0 in UEFA CL, all the damn Greeks where ecstatic, then lost 3-0 in the 2nd leg, to disappoint the fans :) at the time Man U was the best, to me at the time winning one of the games was great

Why are you guys watching MLS? I thought the quality was too poor for your tastes? :)

Just kidding, partially :) I admit I haven't watched, I'll have to check out the final game.

I remember once, I think around 2012 or so, Olympiacos beat Man U 2-0 in UEFA CL, all the damn Greeks where ecstatic, then lost 3-0 in the 2nd leg, to disappoint the fans :) at the time Man U was the best, to me at the time winning one of the games was great
I’m trying. Well kinda. I watched about 39 minutes of an MLS game a few weeks back. And then I checked the tv listings for the CCL. Being that the match start time is after bed time, I haven’t watched. But I’m pulling for Seattle of course.

Reactions: Pitt79
Just listened to the 1st hour of the Grumps. The entire hour was about Man United. Ugh. It bores me to hear 60 minute discussions about a trophyless 6th place in the table squad who has won one trophy in 8 years.

Just listened to the 1st hour of the Grumps. The entire hour was about Man United. Ugh. It bores me to hear 60 minute discussions about a trophyless 6th place in the table squad who has won one trophy in 8 years.
Is it like the way the Studio Hosts at College Gameday literally BEG Texas, FSU and Notre Dame to be relevant again? :)

I love them, the Grumps, but they are just like everyone else, pandering to what gets ratings and callers.

I love when Americans call in and you can tell they're fairly young, in their 30's or 40's and the first thing out of their sewer is "I'm a diehard, lifelong ManU, ManCity, Liverpool supporter"

A. Bullshit, most of these mumps picked a team for no other reason than they're popular and successful. No real meaning and it happdened when their friends who played told them about the team.

B. Bullshit because 15-20 years ago they had no clue about the club

C. Stop talking like a friggin Euro. I'm American. I call is soccer, we are fans, we play in stadiums. I appreciate how they refer to it as football, supporters, grounds etc...

When I finally make my pilgrimage to Craven Cottage, I will relent and speak like them or probably won't speak much at all. But until that happens, I speak American.

Stupid pulpit preach over. I really am dumber for having just posted all this non sense haha

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I love them, the Grumps, but they are just like everyone else, pandering to what gets ratings and callers.

I love when Americans call in and you can tell they're fairly young, in their 30's or 40's and the first thing out of their sewer is "I'm a diehard, lifelong ManU, ManCity, Liverpool supporter"

A. Bullshit, most of these mumps picked a team for no other reason than they're popular and successful. No real meaning and it happdened when their friends who played told them about the team.

C. Stop talking like a friggin Euro. I'm American. I call is soccer, we are fans, we play in stadiums. I appreciate how they refer to it as football, supporters, grounds etc...

When I finally make my pilgrimage to Craven Cottage, I will relent and speak like them or probably won't speak much at all. But until that happens, I speak American.

Stupid pulpit preach over. I really am dumber for having just posted all this non sense haha
I like the Football Show better than the grumps. But that’s only because I absolutely can’t stand Tom Rennie when he hosts. And when it’s Tommy Smyth and Rodney, they’re great. But Rennie isn’t grumpy, he’s just obnoxious. I just know he’s also an arrogant Brit who looks down his nose at American soccer. He’s arrogant and obnoxious. That describes those Brits in many ways.

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a

Nice! Finally someone that agrees with me on this!

FIELD not pitch
ZERO not nil
UNIFORM not kit

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a

Its why I cant just pick an EPL team like these guys who randomly pick one of the big clubs to root for. I wished I could but I have no affiliation. How does some 32 year old from Nashville say he's a diehard City fan? How? Why?

Its why I cant just pick an EPL team like these guys who randomly pick one of the big clubs to root for. I wished I could but I have no affiliation. How does some 32 year old from Nashville say he's a diehard City fan? How? Why?
I'm a Fulham fan because when they were in EPL consistently they were very American player friendly. Not a big club at all, they'd consistently finish in the middle of the standings. Even with their recent back and forth between the Championship and EPL, they still have American's playing. That is my sole reason.

I personally just like watching the EPL and with Fulham being a yo-yo club I've really come to enjoy the Championship, there is so much parody in the Championship and it's quality is light years ahead of the majority of 1st divisions in the world.

So Pro American is what led back around 2008 to become a Fulham fan.

How can anyone not love City? Pure aggression and beautiful soccer.

Here’s to you Vincent Kompany….

I'm a Fulham fan because when they were in EPL consistently they were very American player friendly. Not a big club at all, they'd consistently finish in the middle of the standings. Even with their recent back and forth between the Championship and EPL, they still have American's playing. That is my sole reason.

I personally just like watching the EPL and with Fulham being a yo-yo club I've really come to enjoy the Championship, there is so much parody in the Championship and it's quality is light years ahead of the majority of 1st divisions in the world.

So Pro American is what led back around 2008 to become a Fulham fan.
I tried that with them when they had Dempsey but I just had no emotional connection. If they lost, oh well, so what. If Pitt loses, my day is ruined.

That's why you should just root for your local team, no matter the quality or level, JUST LIKE ENGLISH PEOPLE who are fans of teams below the EPL.

I am a fan of Olympiacos in Greece, but that's because my family there had ties to the team and lived near their stadium and I've been to games.

I tried that with them when they had Dempsey but I just had no emotional connection. If they lost, oh well, so what. If Pitt loses, my day is ruined.
I can say Fulham has entered the territory of Pitt, Pirates, Steelers and Pens for me.

Easy.

They live in Nashville and not Manchester
So what. Just because you can’t understand doesn’t mean others have to be like you. I was a die hard Laker fan as a kid. My Dad was a Celtic fan. How did it happen? It happened organically. You don’t have to live in the city. For me I think it was because I saw Magic on the cover of my weekly sports illustrated and I like the uniform. And that’s exactly what happened to me with Chelsea. And then with social media, you just get emersed into that fandom.

now, I’m not crazy about many of the fans, and who knows, maybe I will lose interest in Chelsea like I did the Lakers…but I follow them now closer than I do the Steelers or Pens. It’s year round entertainment.

How can anyone not love City? Pure aggression and beautiful soccer.

Here’s to you Vincent Kompany….
Because they are owned by a country and aren’t exactly on the same playing field as everyone else outside of PSG??

for me though, City doesn’t bother me. Hell, my team was owned by a Russian oligarch. So while City spends more than everyone, my owner spent too so I’m not going to complain. But I get why others do. But I’d love to see Pep manage a club that has a budget. Me thinks he wouldn’t be the genius he is considered now. There’s 100 guys who can Manage Barcelona, Munich and City. And they’d probably have won the Champiins League already…unlike Pep at City.

but I hope Pep wins it this year.

I was a die hard Laker fan as a kid. My Dad was a Celtic fan. How did it happen? It happened organically. You don’t have to live in the city. For me I think it was because I saw Magic on the cover of my weekly sports illustrated and I like the uniform.
I was a die hard Bulls fan since when Jordan was in elementary school, I can name the 1970s starting 5, Jerry Sloan, Norm Van Lier, Bob Love, Chet Walker and Tom Boerwinkle, but you must admit that Pittsburgh not having a team had a lot to do with driving that, If the Pipers would of lasted forever and changed to black & gold unis when the Pens did, I'm 100% sure I'd be a Pipers fan, or maybe it would be Condors? As for the Bulls, after the Jordan Era it's been a big let down and I lost interest in the NBA in general, then around 2000 Pitt became pretty great and my Bulls fandom kind of died about 90%.

I think the uniforms where a big factor in liking the Bulls too, they where a contender in the 70s, but never won anything back then.

Because they are owned by a country and aren’t exactly on the same playing field as everyone else outside of PSG??

for me though, City doesn’t bother me. Hell, my team was owned by a Russian oligarch. So while City spends more than everyone, my owner spent too so I’m not going to complain. But I get why others do. But I’d love to see Pep manage a club that has a budget. Me thinks he wouldn’t be the genius he is considered now. There’s 100 guys who can Manage Barcelona, Munich and City. And they’d probably have won the Champiins League already…unlike Pep at City.

but I hope Pep wins it this year.
Of course he wouldn’t. His secret sauce is getting super talented players to work super hard. Having a legit two-deep makes this task much easier. And yes, let us hope this year is the year!

Of course he wouldn’t. His secret sauce is getting super talented players to work super hard. Having a legit two-deep makes this task much easier. And yes, let us hope this year is the year!

Well they are in the process of an epic meltdown right now.

Well they are in the process of an epic meltdown right now.
What Madrid has done is epic and historical. If they find a way to beat Liverpool, they’ll be talking about this run forever. I’m not sure they were favored in any round. And this is the team that lost to Sherriff in group play.

What Madrid has done is epic and historical. If they find a way to beat Liverpool, they’ll be talking about this run forever. I’m not sure they were favored in any round. And this is the team that lost to Sherriff in group play.

They were dead this afternoon, two down, normal time basically over, and getting clearly outplayed for almost the entire second half. And then in the space of two minutes they were tied, and you knew that City had no chance once they got to extra time.

They were dead this afternoon, two down, normal time basically over, and getting clearly outplayed for almost the entire second half. And then in the space of two minutes they were tied, and you knew that City had no chance once they got to extra time.
Similar to the PSG and Chelsea ties. They made something out of nothing at the flick of a switch. This is 3 rounds in a row.

btw. I heard Ancelotti wants to finish up at Madrid and then run a national team. The country he wants to manage? Canada. How about that one. Ancelotti in Concacaf. Lol. his wife is Canadian.

btw. I heard Ancelotti wants to finish up at Madrid and then run a national team. The country he wants to manage? Canada. How about that one. Ancelotti in Concacaf. Lol. his wife is Canadian.

Yeah, I saw that. It would be interesting to say the least.

That's why you should just root for your local team, no matter the quality or level, JUST LIKE ENGLISH PEOPLE who are fans of teams below the EPL.

I am a fan of Olympiacos in Greece, but that's because my family there had ties to the team and lived near their stadium and I've been to games.
If Pgh had an MLS team, I'd be a big-time fan. And dont ask me again why I dont support the Riverhounds. Its minor league. I go to 1 game per year for a family night out. Winning USL does nothing for me. They might as well be playing all exhibition games because their minor league has no point for me. I will root for Pitt, who I have an emotional connection to as my alma mater and who plays name brand teams. I'd rather watch teams wearing Duke and ND clothes than Loudoun United.

I still can’t believe it.

Seattle won last night. Of course Madrid Euro win was front and center on ESPN app and in its headlines, but I had to dig a bit to find the concacaf result. Glad Seattle won and they seemed to do it with ease.

interesting too that ESPN treated this as an afterthought. I heard yesterday that LigaMx has a greater US viewership than EPL.

Reactions: Pitt79
interesting too that ESPN treated this as an afterthought. I heard yesterday that LigaMx has a greater US viewership than EPL.
I think I'm not alone caring about local teams and time zones, maybe Mexicans care more about LigaMX than teams in English cities. 8pm to me, is a better time to watch a game than 8am.

I think I'm not alone caring about local teams and time zones, maybe Mexicans care more about LigaMX than teams in English cities. 8pm to me, is a better time to watch a game than 8am.
Yeah Mexicans and Mexican Americans in the USA watch the Mexican league and it pulls good ratings. That’s why you will see a merger at some point with MLS. Too many eyes and too much money to be made.

That was crazy, I actually saw that, wasn't even looking for it, turned on the TV and it just happened to be on CBS. RM was dead, then 3 straight.
Madrid, the Spanish champs, has pulled a rabbit out of their hat for 3 straight rounds. They were dominated, I mean dominated by French champs PSG and then fell asleep for a 60 second period and boom, Benzema scored 2 and Madrid wins. I saw that live and thought I witnessed history being made. It was unreal.

then in the next round, Euro and World champs chelsea had them beat until Modric made that one play that sent the match to OT and then Benzema won it.

now yesterday they did that vs the defending English champs, Man City.

it’s quite a run. Maybe at the time of the Final, Liverpool will be the new English champs and Madrid will have a chance to do it again.

those knuckleheads on the freeboard that say soccer is a snooze fest could not possibly watch these games and come away thinking soccer is a bore.

the only thing I’ll say though about the sport…in the Chelsea vs Madrid match last month, after Madrid took the lead in extra time, the ball was barely in play. They said in the extra 30 minutes, the ball was in play for about 15 minutes. Yesterday it was said to have been even worse. Having the time kept by the referee, and not having a clock that’s visible and stop every time a player stalls, is not good for the sport. They’ll never change it, but I’d guarantee you’d see less fake injuries in the closing minutes of games.

the only thing I’ll say though about the sport…in the Chelsea vs Madrid match last month, after Madrid took the lead in extra time, the ball was barely in play. They said in the extra 30 minutes, the ball was in play for about 15 minutes. Yesterday it was said to have been even worse. Having the time kept by the referee, and not having a clock that’s visible and stop every time a player stalls, is not good for the sport. They’ll never change it, but I’d guarantee you’d see less fake injuries in the closing minutes of games.
I never understood why they refuse to at least have injury time outs or after a goal, or stop the clock during a VAR? At least at those times you know nothing is happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT