ADVERTISEMENT

Copa America 2024

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
USA and Panama qualified easily.

Mexico needed a very controversial 9 minutes of extra time to score in the 11th minute of extra time to win the match 2-0 and won in PKs after the Honduras GK was called for leaving his line too early on 2 saves. Good calls I guess but that stutter step approach by the shooter threw him off.

Canada blew a 3-1 lead on aggregate late in Toronto conceding 3 goals from the 63rd minute on. Series ended 4-4 with Jamaica going through on away goals.

Canada will play Trinidad and Costa Rica will play Honduras in Frisco, TX in March for the last 2 Copa America spots.

The draw will be held in December. Atlanta will host the opening match, which you'd think involve the USMNT since we are hosting. The final will be in Miami Gardens.

If they divide the teams into 4 pots, it would be (based on Oct 26 rankings)

Pot 1
🇦🇷
🇧🇷
🇺🇸
🇲🇽

Pot 2
🇺🇾
🇨🇴
🇵🇪
🇪🇨

Pot 3
🇨🇱
🇵🇦
🇻🇪
🇵🇾

Pot 4
🇯🇲
🇧🇴
Then I would throw the Can/TT and CR/Hon winners in here even though their FIFA ranking may be Pot 3 level.

Mexico needed a very controversial 9 minutes of extra time to score in the 11th minute of extra time to win the match 2-0

I was watching it, there was nothing at all controversial about there being 9 minutes of extra time. I expected there was going to be a lot, and there was.

And there was nothing controversial about playing three extra minutes of extra time. If you read the other thread where some of us were commenting during the game, I actually said that they were going to need to play at least two or three minutes more than the nine, because right at the beginning of stoppage time the Honduran goalie got bumped and stayed down on the field for probably at least three minutes. Doing anything other than playing about 12 minutes of extra time would have rewarded Honduras for their goal keeper's time wasting tactics. Kudos to the ref for not falling for it.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
USA and Panama qualified easily.

Mexico needed a very controversial 9 minutes of extra time to score in the 11th minute of extra time to win the match 2-0 and won in PKs after the Honduras GK was called for leaving his line too early on 2 saves. Good calls I guess but that stutter step approach by the shooter threw him off.

Canada blew a 3-1 lead on aggregate late in Toronto conceding 3 goals from the 63rd minute on. Series ended 4-4 with Jamaica going through on away goals.

Canada will play Trinidad and Costa Rica will play Honduras in Frisco, TX in March for the last 2 Copa America spots.

The draw will be held in December. Atlanta will host the opening match, which you'd think involve the USMNT since we are hosting. The final will be in Miami Gardens.

If they divide the teams into 4 pots, it would be (based on Oct 26 rankings)

Pot 1
🇦🇷
🇧🇷
🇺🇸
🇲🇽

Pot 2
🇺🇾
🇨🇴
🇵🇪
🇪🇨

Pot 3
🇨🇱
🇵🇦
🇻🇪
🇵🇾

Pot 4
🇯🇲
🇧🇴
Then I would throw the Can/TT and CR/Hon winners in here even though their FIFA ranking may be Pot 3 level.
Regarding Jamaica, I watched that 2nd half and glad I did. Several times per year Soccer provides a “you’ve never seen anything like it” type of match and this one qualifies. Just really entertaining end to end stuff. I know we’ve talked about this every time Jamaica plays a meaningful match against the US, but I’ll say it again…that’s a really dangerous and somewhat talented team. Plenty of big league talent there and Antonio didn’t even play in this window. The semifinal will not be easy, and I don’t think they’ll be a pushover in Copa America either.

Regarding Jamaica, I watched that 2nd half and glad I did. Several times per year Soccer provides a “you’ve never seen anything like it” type of match and this one qualifies. Just really entertaining end to end stuff. I know we’ve talked about this every time Jamaica plays a meaningful match against the US, but I’ll say it again…that’s a really dangerous and somewhat talented team. Plenty of big league talent there and Antonio didn’t even play in this window. The semifinal will not be easy, and I don’t think they’ll be a pushover in Copa America either.

We basically never beat Jamaica in tournaments so yea, it wont be easy.

June 24, 2023: US - 1, Jamaica - 1 (Gold Cup)
Nov 16, 2021: US - 1, Jamaica - 1 (Qualifier)
Oct 7, 2021: US - 2, Jamaica - 0 (Qualifier)
June 25, 2021: US - 1, Jamaica - 0 (Gold Cup)
July 3, 2019: US - 3, Jamaica - 1 (Gold Cup)
July 26, 2017: US - 2, Jamaica - 1 (Gold Cup)

The last time that Jamaica beat the US in a competitive match was on July 22, 2015, a 2-1 Jamaica win in the Gold Cup.

And the US won the three before that, so going back to 2012, more than a decade ago, in 10 competitive matches it's the US with 7 wins, Jamaica with 1 win, and 2 draws.

Jamaica has actually done better in friendlies against the US in that decade than they have in competitive matches.

June 24, 2023: US - 1, Jamaica - 1 (Gold Cup)
Nov 16, 2021: US - 1, Jamaica - 1 (Qualifier)
Oct 7, 2021: US - 2, Jamaica - 0 (Qualifier)
June 25, 2021: US - 1, Jamaica - 0 (Gold Cup)
July 3, 2019: US - 3, Jamaica - 1 (Gold Cup)
July 26, 2017: US - 2, Jamaica - 1 (Gold Cup)

The last time that Jamaica beat the US in a competitive match was on July 22, 2015, a 2-1 Jamaica win in the Gold Cup.

And the US won the three before that, so going back to 2012, more than a decade ago, in 10 competitive matches it's the US with 7 wins, Jamaica with 1 win, and 2 draws.

Jamaica has actually done better in friendlies against the US in that decade than they have in competitive matches.

So the US has only won 3 of the last 5 tournament matches. Another W

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT