ADVERTISEMENT

Could Pitt host a softball regional?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
If we win the ACCT, my very uneducated guess is we'd be a 6/7 seed. Does the committee give regionals to northern teams in situations like this like they sometimes do for baseball?

There is no such thing as a 6/7 seed. The top 16 teams are seeded 1-16. Then the next 16 teams are two seeds, the next 16 are three seeds and the last 16 are four seeds. The twos, threes and fours are matched up with the ones, with geography a consideration as to who goes where. There is a 0.0% chance that Pitt would be a top 16 national seed and get to play at home. There is almost no chance at all that Pitt would even be in line for a two seed if they get into the tournament. Your guess that we'd be the equivalent of a 6/7 seed in the basketball tournament is, indeed, very uneducated.

I mean even winning tomorrow might not be enough to get us in, and yet you think we might have a chance to be seeded high enough to get a home regional? Yikes!

If you want a basketball comparison, if we get in we are going to be like a team that plays in the first four or one of the last teams that get in while avoiding the first four.

There is no such thing as a 6/7 seed. The top 16 teams are seeded 1-16. Then the next 16 teams are two seeds, the next 16 are three seeds and the last 16 are four seeds. The twos, threes and fours are matched up with the ones, with geography a consideration as to who goes where. There is a 0.0% chance that Pitt would be a top 16 national seed and get to play at home. There is almost no chance at all that Pitt would even be in line for a two seed if they get into the tournament. Your guess that we'd be the equivalent of a 6/7 seed in the basketball tournament is, indeed, very uneducated.

I mean even winning tomorrow might not be enough to get us in, and yet you think we might have a chance to be seeded high enough to get a home regional? Yikes!

If you want a basketball comparison, if we get in we are going to be like a team that plays in the first four or one of the last teams that get in while avoiding the first four.

What I am saying is that baseball absolutely gives regionals to Northern teams even if they are not a Top 16 national seed. Do they do that in softball? And if so, could Pitt host?

You are right about not having seeds worse than 4. I forgot that. So, if we win the ACCT, we'd be a 3 seed at worse and possibly a 2 seed. Could we get a 2 seed and if so, could we host over a 1 seed?

So, in short, could the #32 team host as a 2 seed?

What I am saying is that baseball absolutely gives regionals to Northern teams even if they are not a Top 16 national seed. Do they do that in softball? And if so, could Pitt host?

You are right about not having seeds worse than 4. I forgot that. So, if we win the ACCT, we'd be a 3 seed at worse and possibly a 2 seed. Could we get a 2 seed and if so, could we host over a 1 seed?

No chance. You have to be a top 16 team to host a site.

Baseball does not. Baseball is the same as softball. The top 16 teams get a regional and are bracketed with 1 playing 4 and 2 playing 3 in each of those regionals. Then the winners of each of those regionals go to the super regionals and the host is the higher seeded team of the 2 teams in each of the remaining 8 games.

Baseball does not. Baseball is the same as softball. The top 16 teams get a regional and are bracketed with 1 playing 4 and 2 playing 3 in each of those regionals. Then the winners of each of those regionals go to the super regionals and the host is the higher seeded team of the 2 teams in each of the remaining 8 games.

It is a fact that the baseball committee can award a regional to a non-1 seed if it plays in an area that has weather disadvantages. I don't know about softball.

What I am saying is that baseball absolutely gives regionals to Northern teams even if they are not a Top 16 national seed.

They most certainly do not do that. They never have. They have attempted to manipulate the rankings when northern teams have been kind of close to the top 16, but that has never really worked out.

The one and only way that a non-top 16 seed hosts a regional is if a top 16 school declines to host for whatever reason.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
ADVERTISEMENT