ADVERTISEMENT

Could the Loss to Miami Be For The Best For The Program?

mehinpgh

All Conference
Dec 6, 2004
Considering there will be a near-record amount of head coaching vacancies this year, could the loss to Miami be a blessing? Things were riding real high for the Pitt Program and to finish the year with three straight wins and a 9 win season for the first time in quite awhile, Coach Narduzzi could have been the hot new girl at the dance and a lot of big time programs that don't worry about money or buyouts could have asked him to slow dance. After yet another slow start in the game that we could not quite dig our way out of, we lost, and just a slight bit of the luster came off HC Duzz. The program is most certainly still trending upward, especially with the whole #412crew phenomenon in the WPIAL going on, but the loss to Miami in my opinion saved a lot angst among us Pitt fans since a lot of programs will not come calling for our coach with a hard sell...for at least another year...

Considering there will be a near-record amount of head coaching vacancies this year, could the loss to Miami be a blessing? Things were riding real high for the Pitt Program and to finish the year with three straight wins and a 9 win season for the first time in quite awhile, Coach Narduzzi could have been the hot new girl at the dance and a lot of big time programs that don't worry about money or buyouts could have asked him to slow dance. After yet another slow start in the game that we could not quite dig our way out of, we lost, and just a slight bit of the luster came off HC Duzz. The program is most certainly still trending upward, especially with the whole #412crew phenomenon in the WPIAL going on, but the loss to Miami in my opinion saved a lot angst among us Pitt fans since a lot of programs will not come calling for our coach with a hard sell...for at least another year...
Always enjoy your informative posts! I just feel that Coach Narduzzi just focuses on what he has to do at Pitt, and is something special and will be at Pitt a Long Time. A Coach that stays in the Dorms to get to know his Players won't abandon them, in my opinion. Coach Pat said he will have Pitt Win Championships and that is going to happen before he would consider leaving, Just a Hunch!

Maybe I'm being naive, but I just don't see Narduzzi leaving, even for a bigger program and more money. One of the biggest reasons he has succeeded here (besides the fact that he is a good coach) is the message he sells and delivers which is commitment to the program and to the players. If he would pull a Toad Graham he would instantly lose the credibility that he has fought hard to create. Not saying he will be with Pitt forever, but there will be good openings in the future if that is what he desires.

I don't think it would have made much of a difference one way or the other. Narduzzi didn't seem to be real high on any want list before the Miami game and Pitt was a 7 point favorite.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I just don't see Narduzzi leaving, even for a bigger program and more money. One of the biggest reasons he has succeeded here (besides the fact that he is a good coach) is the message he sells and delivers which is commitment to the program and to the players. If he would pull a Toad Graham he would instantly lose the credibility that he has fought hard to create. Not saying he will be with Pitt forever, but there will be good openings in the future if that is what he desires.

Yes. You are being naive.

:rolleyes:Ditto!:rolleyes:

Well, He doesn't seem to be. Of course that could change anytime.

I don't think credibility is an issue. Its a pretty standard thing in the profession to jump ship when a coach is presented with what to them, is perceived to be a better opportunity.

Reactions: PittMan 72

I don't think credibility is an issue. Its a pretty standard thing in the profession to jump ship when a coach is presented with what to them, is perceived to be a better opportunity.
After 1 season? Both Graham and Kiffin did it and were roundly criticized and both lost a ton of credibility.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly

So, how do you explain TCU's Patterson, Baylor's Briles, KSU Snyder, Northwestern's Fitzgerald and VT's Beamer? All had other offers in the past?

Reactions: pbrad
So, how do you explain TCU's Patterson, Baylor's Briles, KSU Snyder, Northwestern's Fitzgerald and VT's Beamer? All had other offers in the past?
Add Chip Kelly to that list also. He turned down many offers over the years only taking the NFL opening.

After 1 season? Both Graham and Kiffin did it and were roundly criticized and both lost a ton of credibility.

The media loves to hate on Kiffin anyway. And it wasn't so much Graham leaving after one year as it was the way he left. He had pretty much taken the ASU job before Pitt knew what the hell was going on. Kiffin's timing killed TN as it was almost mid-January when things went down. However, everyone in the UTAD has said Kiffin was very upfront about the process the whole time. He went from being 4th or 5th on USC's list to a job offer in a span of about 72 hours.

The media loves to hate on Kiffin anyway. And it wasn't so much Graham leaving after one year as it was the way he left. He had pretty much taken the ASU job before Pitt knew what the hell was going on. Kiffin's timing killed TN as it was almost mid-January when things went down. However, everyone in the UTAD has said Kiffin was very upfront about the process the whole time. He went from being 4th or 5th on USC's list to a job offer in a span of about 72 hours.
But yet knowing the timing and the impact it would have on a program that was handed to him less than 12 months earlier, Kiffin still took it. THAT'S why the media hates/hated on him. And we know how that all ended up for him. Graham certainly isn't producing in his 4th year at ASU either.

What offers did they have? I'm not sure if any of those guys had significantly better offers.

BTW, I'm not saying Narduzzi is leaving or should be looking to leave. However, there are ways to stay out in front of a having a coach in demand bolt for greener pastures.

What offers did they have? I'm not sure if any of those guys had significantly better offers.

BTW, I'm not saying Narduzzi is leaving or should be looking to leave. However, there are ways to stay out in front of a having a coach in demand bolt for greener pastures.
Are you insinuating that over the years those very successful coaches weren't approached? Just because you aren't aware of the specifics, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It means they shut it down. And I think YOU are being naive to think they, or their agents, haven't been approached.

But yet knowing the timing and the impact it would have on a program that was handed to him less than 12 months earlier, Kiffin still took it. THAT'S why the media hates/hated on him. And we know how that all ended up for him. Graham certainly isn't producing in his 4th year at ASU either.
Schools make those decisions all the time without worry about what effect it will have on a staff or their families. That's a two way street and everybody looks out for number one. Kiffin pretty much got taken down 3 months into the job when the NCAA put the hammer down with a loss of 30 scholarships over 3 years. He'll get another gig soon.

I don't see the appeal of Todd Graham.

Are you insinuating that over the years those very successful coaches weren't approached? Just because you aren't aware of the specifics, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It means they shut it down. And I think YOU are being naive to think they, or their agents, haven't been approached.

Approached? Sure. Actually had an offer in hand from a college football blue-blood? I'm not sure.

Several of those schools stepped up big time in terms of salary, facilities, and alumni support (i.e. liberal recruiting practices) without all of the over the top expectations. Pitt seems to be very reluctant to do that. At least that has been the case since they let Jackie walk.

Approached? Sure. Actually had an offer in hand from a college football blue-blood? I'm not sure.

Several of those schools stepped up big time in terms of salary, facilities, and alumni support (i.e. liberal recruiting practices) without all of the over the top expectations. Pitt seems to be very reluctant to do that. At least that has been the case since they let Jackie walk.
Well you know the old adage that you never give an offer until you know it will be accepted.

"TD_6082, post: 583787, member: 510"]What offers did they have? I'm not sure if any of those guys had significantly better offers.
Go educate yourself, on Google, their Names have been mentioned many times for other CFB & NFL positions over the years! Maybe this is why you did posted what you did?

Additionally, Narduzzi turned down other Offers as well while waiting on Pitt! Another fact you forgot!

"pitt-girl, post: 583793, member: 1616"]Are you insinuating that over the years those very successful coaches weren't approached?
It is clear he is not insinuating and even clearer he just did not know before he made other errors in his pots that cannot support his opinion based on faulty lack of knowledge? TD will look it up now and learn his errors?

Just because you aren't aware of the specifics, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It means they shut it down. And I think YOU are being naive to think they, or their agents, haven't been approached.
Great point TD response on this Thread has been Naive and I think he can admit that now as he has had on occasions?

I don't think my response has been naïve. Go back and read my original response. SIGNIFICANTLY better offers. The offers Narduzzi had were crap compared to Pitt. He was also one of the top paid DC's in college football at MSU.

Briles salary is in the top 10 in the nation, Patterson is 18th highest & both coaches know they have an opportunity to win a national title with their current programs, there is no reason for either to leave (and honestly there are very few programs that would be able to give them a raise) when they have everything they need in place at their current situations. On the other hand Narduzzi salary is 63rd & and he's still got a long way to go to turn Pitt into a national contender. A lot of these current positions could easily offer him a substantial raise and a program that is closer to contending on a national scale than Pitt currently is.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

I don't think my response has been naïve. Go back and read my original response. SIGNIFICANTLY better offers. The offers Narduzzi had were crap compared to Pitt. He was also one of the top paid DC's in college football at MSU.
Funny, you did not even know about the offers TCU, Baylor, etc but now knew Narduzzi's? But that's OK, you were just misinformed or did not know, and that may be worse than naive?

I guess you didn't take your smart pill today. Listen up, Narduzzi did NOT let his agent leak his name one single time in all these coaching openings. It didn't leak for a reason.

What a dumb thread.

Do you think interest in Narduzzi, or lack of it, has anything to do with the result of one game?

Silly.

The paranoia is unreal, though I get it from what we have been through over the past decade. But why worry about it? I'd like our team to be as successful as possible and let things shake out from there. I'll be interested one day when there is a credible rumor out there.

We may lose some of our coaches after a few years of success, but I'm not worried about HCPN going anywhere.

A loss is never a good thing for a program. The "big time" programs are looking for a fit. Which program needing a coach is a better fit for the Duzz than PITT.

Back to the op' s point, I still contend that the opening are either at places that wouldn't be a better job, or at a place that isn't going to go after a head coach with one year head coaching experience.

So the answer is no.

Yeah saying this one game may make a difference in a bunch of programs being interested in him is a stretch. I think the difference between 8 and 9 wins is marginal... now the difference between 8 or 9 wins and 10 wins/coastal champs if we win that UNC game and beat Miami too is pretty big.

Regardless, here's hoping Narduzzi honors his commitment. Just judging from his character, and the fact he had opportunities to take pay raises/get better coaching gigs while DC @ MSU that he passed by for the right fit here makes me feel good about his commitment. Funny though, I was at one of his weekly radio shows and he got questioned on his commitment. He said his wife would kill him. All we need to know, right...?

My main concern would be if the MSU position opened up in a few years. But let's hope that doesn't happen. If it does, and he declines, we know for sure the man is purely committed to this program.

Unless the MSU, tOSU, or ND jobs open up, we aren't losing Narduzzi.

I firmly believe those are the only three jobs he'd consider leaving for.

Pray for good health for Dantonio and Meyer, and that the Irish don't tire of asshole Kelly.

Reactions: pittmeister
"TD_6082, post: 583787, member: 510"]What offers did they have? I'm not sure if any of those guys had significantly better offers.
Go educate yourself, on Google, their Names have been mentioned many times for other CFB & NFL positions over the years! Maybe this is why you did posted what you did?

Additionally, Narduzzi turned down other Offers as well while waiting on Pitt! Another fact you forgot!

He was ready to take Colorado st before Pitt was interested. He didn't turn down many good jobs, trust me. He will be gone the minute a better job comes around and WANTS him.

He was ready to take Colorado st before Pitt was interested. He didn't turn down many good jobs, trust me. He will be gone the minute a better job comes around and WANTS him.

LOL! The panic runs deep in Happy Valley!!!! Wish, hope and pray nitter!

This is just the beginning of KARMA. What comes around goes around and you and your fellow joebots are going to get it ten fold...

Unless the MSU, tOSU, or ND jobs open up, we aren't losing Narduzzi.

I firmly believe those are the only three jobs he'd consider leaving for.

Pray for good health for Dantonio and Meyer, and that the Irish don't tire of asshole Kelly.

MSU was just a job for Narduzzi; no real connection there. Was does anyone think this is a sure thing?

Schools make those decisions all the time without worry about what effect it will have on a staff or their families. That's a two way street and everybody looks out for number one. Kiffin pretty much got taken down 3 months into the job when the NCAA put the hammer down with a loss of 30 scholarships over 3 years. He'll get another gig soon.

I don't see the appeal of Todd Graham.

Ah yes, sanctions, TD_Nitters favorite response. It always comes back to sanctions with you.

I think we are starting to see a change in the way these "perceived better jobs" are being viewed and I think Nick Saban is partly to blame. I think the blue bloods and Tier 2 level programs think they can achieve the same level success as Alabama. Coaches are taking notice of how Charlie Strong and Les Miles are being treated. I realize the best coaching prospects like to be challenged and wouldn't fear expectations but those expectations are becoming less realistic with each passing year.
I think it's important to remember that Head Coaches represent their assistants and families as well as their own interests.

Just look at our old buddy Todd Graham. A couple more 6 win seasons and he and his loyal assistants will be scrambling for work. He's used up a lot of good will and tarnished his reputation by being a job hopper.

I guess what I'm getting at is that jobs with less expectation and more support from administration are becoming more coveted. I hope Pitt can put itself in that situation and keep PN for as long as they want.

I say no. Not a good thing. If Narduzzi is the kind of person that would leave after 1 year, he isn't the kind of person I want coaching our team.

I really don't see a team that is so great Narduzzi would have to accept their offer coming after a guy who was been a head coach at the collegiate level for all of 12 games. By the time he does become a target though, when Pitt hears rumblings they have to seriously make it near impossible for him to leave.

Narduzzi likes it here I think and could very well win here just as well as anywhere else. Pitt has to do their end and fork up the cash. If they do that and he has already had success here by that point, there is no point in leaving.

You are absolutely insane if you think Pitt can not be Baylor, TCU, VT, or the other schools Cap'n mentioned. Those programs were absolute garbage before those coaches arrived. They built winners and are still there. The reason was even mentioned above... they are well compensated. If Pitt pays Narduzzi top dollar once he's proven himself, Pitt with it's history is just as good if not a better football school than TCU, Va. Tech, etc.

Reactions: WNYPanther
IMO the loss didn't really have an impact on Narduzzi at this point in his career. What Narduzzi has proven this year is that he can motivate the team (and the fans) and he can coach. What we don't know yet is can he recruit? Big time programs want both because both are necessary to win at the highest level. In 2-3 years, if the program is continuing to trend up, you can bet that the big boys will come calling.

Cruzer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT