Kansas
Texas Tech

West

Utah
Colorado
BYU
Arizona
Arizona State

Play own division (4 games). Rotate with another division (5 games). 3 out of conference.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Nope. I mean, what is the point of being a member of a conference? For me, a conference gives all teams in that conference an opportunity to play each other every year. Don't even care for the current ACC set-up because of that. Conferences should have no more then 9-10 teams.

We are all going to live. Football is a privilege in this crazy game of life. We must realize there are more important things than a pigskin. Above all else, we must always screw West Virginia, so no, I will not accept this crap.

Reactions: mike 301 and 303vND
Nope. I mean, what is the point of being a member of a conference? For me, a conference gives all teams in that conference an opportunity to play each other every year. Don't even care for the current ACC set-up because of that. Conferences should have no more then 9-10 teams.
I feel as though the point of being a member of a conference in 2023 is simply for tv rights and a piece of the revenue. That’s it.

Nope. I mean, what is the point of being a member of a conference? For me, a conference gives all teams in that conference an opportunity to play each other every year. Don't even care for the current ACC set-up because of that. Conferences should have no more than 9-10 teams.
I think we’re going to get to a point where the conferences (20+ members) become more like ‘leagues’ and divisions (6-8) become more like conferences. In that case, I hope that we get into a division with traditional rivals or at least regional opponents.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
East

West Virginia
Pitt
NC State
Virginia Tech
Cincinnati

South

Miami
UCF
Houston
TCU
Baylor

Plains

Okla State
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Texas Tech

West

Utah
Colorado
BYU
Arizona
Arizona State

Play own division (4 games). Rotate with another division (5 games). 3 out of conference.
If it comes to this, I'd be surprised if Pitt and CUSE get separated.

If it comes to this, I'd be surprised if Pitt and CUSE get separated.
If the Big 12 is going to hypothetically add a few ACC leftovers, I could see them inviting Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, etc. because they seem to be putting an emphasis on basketball.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think we’re going to get to a point where the conferences (20+ members) become more like ‘leagues’ and divisions (6-8) become more like conferences. In that case, I hope that we get into a division with traditional rivals or at least regional opponents.
Personally I hate our geographical rivals. Playing WVU is fine, but playing BC, Cincinnati, and Syracuse does nothing for me.

Personally I hate our geographical rivals. Playing WVU is fine, but playing BC, Cincinnati, and Syracuse does nothing for me.
True. If there’s a super league and we’re in the “best of the rest” conference, I’d be fine with being in a division with several of our ACC rivals + WVU.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think that may eventually happen. Big 10 and SEC destroy the NCAA, everyone joins one of the giant conferences and then gets put in a regional division. It would be like starting all over.

I think that may eventually happen. Big 10 and SEC destroy the NCAA, everyone joins one of the giant conferences and then gets put in a regional division. It would be like starting all over.
I hope that’s what happens because that’s the only way all of this gets resolved. I said this on here a few days ago, but we need an actual governing body presiding all the power conference schools. If you do that and you bring all the members together to get one TV deal with equal revenue distribution, then maybe we can begin to correct some of this.

Reactions: JS School
From Paul Zeise's article this morning:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
COLLEGE PRESIDENTS AND ADMINISTRATORS HAVE OFFICIALLY LOST THEIR MINDS

West Virginia is now in a conference with Utah and Arizona but not Pitt, Penn State and Syracuse.

Penn State is now in a conference with UCLA, USC, Oregon and Washington but not Pitt, West Virginia or Syracuse.

Pitt is now in a conference — well actually by today’s standards, Pitt’s conference actually somewhat makes sense given they only have to travel to Florida to play games ...

Have no, fear, though, Pitt fans, as there are some rumors swirling that Stanford and California are coming soon to the ACC. No, seriously, we are a few strokes of the pen away from that incredible and budding Wake Forest-Cal rivalry game.

You get the idea that it has all reached an asinine level of asininity. And if there was some rhyme or reason for this latest round of conference re-alignment, I indeed can’t find it.

I am not one of these people who waxes poetic about the good old days of rivalries and “Whoa Nelly, it’s Keith Jackson” and all that nonsense. I am not.

I think that the world evolves, life changes, and what was good 30 years ago may not be good today. Would I like to see some more regional rivalry games come back? Yep, but I don’t spend a single minute obsessing about the changing world of college athletics because change is a part of life.

I don’t love the transfer portal, but I understand it and know it is necessary.

I’m all for the NIL because it means athletes get their piece of the pie without schools having to bankrupt themselves to try and achieve it. NIL is a good thing, even though it has turned into something it probably wasn’t designed to do, either.

Unintended consequences are always going to be a part of change and right now the world of college athletics is trying to handle some of the unintended consequences of NIL and the transfer portal.

Those things are OK, but this conference stuff is ridiculously stupid because the people who are supposed to be the smartest people in the room are apparently the dumbest.

Here is how simple this all could be: Take the top 80 teams, form four 20-team super conferences with two divisions each, and negotiate a TV deal that covers all 80 teams. Make sure the conferences are loosely built around previous conferences and they make some semblance of regional sense and negotiate all as one big block of teams.

And that could be accomplished if the football programs formed their own league separate from the NCAA that includes a commissioner and its own rule books.

Some might say, “That is too much like the NFL,” to which I would say, “And?”

If you have four conferences with two divisions, you could have your 12-team playoff built exactly like the NFL playoffs. The four conference champs get an automatic bye, and there are eight wild card teams. A bunch of other teams could still go to bowl games, keeping that mostly antiquated tradition alive.

The commissioner could negotiate the TV deal for the entire package, and all these teams could stay in their current conference configurations for every other sport.

Don’t tell me it can’t be done because Notre Dame has been doing this for at least 30 years.

Notre Dame’s football is independent and all the rest of its sports are in the ACC. Every other team could do the same thing, except their football would be part of this mega conference idea and not be independent. That’s just how it could happen and how it should happen.

Of course, Notre Dame would be forced to make a decision, and my guess is it would reluctantly join the mega conference deal seeing as being independent isn’t a lot of fun when there is nobody to play and you can’t get into the playoffs.

Sure, this seems far-fetched, but that’s because it is a very simple common sense solution to ensure the sport remains strong and viable. This current model is ridiculous and not sustainable because there will always be schools searching out better deals and greener pastures.

How is it a good thing if teams are changing conferences or rumoring to change conferences every year? Florida State and Clemson aren’t happy with their current deal, so the answer is to add two teams from the West Coast? Give me a break with that nonsense.

College football is killing itself for no reason. And I wouldn’t say that is because some traditional rivals have been killed, but because the current model does not make sense. It isn’t sustainable and will never be stable.

The people that run college athletics are stupid for continuing to allow these things to happen. The power teams and conferences need to all get in one room and figure out how to stop this madness. There are simple solutions, but those would require a lot less ego and a lot more common sense than most college administrators seemingly have.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This model is not sustainable in the long run...

we're there.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
From Paul Zeise's article this morning:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
COLLEGE PRESIDENTS AND ADMINISTRATORS HAVE OFFICIALLY LOST THEIR MINDS

West Virginia is now in a conference with Utah and Arizona but not Pitt, Penn State and Syracuse.

Penn State is now in a conference with UCLA, USC, Oregon and Washington but not Pitt, West Virginia or Syracuse.

Pitt is now in a conference — well actually by today’s standards, Pitt’s conference actually somewhat makes sense given they only have to travel to Florida to play games ...

Have no, fear, though, Pitt fans, as there are some rumors swirling that Stanford and California are coming soon to the ACC. No, seriously, we are a few strokes of the pen away from that incredible and budding Wake Forest-Cal rivalry game.

You get the idea that it has all reached an asinine level of asininity. And if there was some rhyme or reason for this latest round of conference re-alignment, I indeed can’t find it.

I am not one of these people who waxes poetic about the good old days of rivalries and “Whoa Nelly, it’s Keith Jackson” and all that nonsense. I am not.

I think that the world evolves, life changes, and what was good 30 years ago may not be good today. Would I like to see some more regional rivalry games come back? Yep, but I don’t spend a single minute obsessing about the changing world of college athletics because change is a part of life.

I don’t love the transfer portal, but I understand it and know it is necessary.

I’m all for the NIL because it means athletes get their piece of the pie without schools having to bankrupt themselves to try and achieve it. NIL is a good thing, even though it has turned into something it probably wasn’t designed to do, either.

Unintended consequences are always going to be a part of change and right now the world of college athletics is trying to handle some of the unintended consequences of NIL and the transfer portal.

Those things are OK, but this conference stuff is ridiculously stupid because the people who are supposed to be the smartest people in the room are apparently the dumbest.

Here is how simple this all could be: Take the top 80 teams, form four 20-team super conferences with two divisions each, and negotiate a TV deal that covers all 80 teams. Make sure the conferences are loosely built around previous conferences and they make some semblance of regional sense and negotiate all as one big block of teams.

And that could be accomplished if the football programs formed their own league separate from the NCAA that includes a commissioner and its own rule books.

Some might say, “That is too much like the NFL,” to which I would say, “And?”

If you have four conferences with two divisions, you could have your 12-team playoff built exactly like the NFL playoffs. The four conference champs get an automatic bye, and there are eight wild card teams. A bunch of other teams could still go to bowl games, keeping that mostly antiquated tradition alive.

The commissioner could negotiate the TV deal for the entire package, and all these teams could stay in their current conference configurations for every other sport.

Don’t tell me it can’t be done because Notre Dame has been doing this for at least 30 years.

Notre Dame’s football is independent and all the rest of its sports are in the ACC. Every other team could do the same thing, except their football would be part of this mega conference idea and not be independent. That’s just how it could happen and how it should happen.

Of course, Notre Dame would be forced to make a decision, and my guess is it would reluctantly join the mega conference deal seeing as being independent isn’t a lot of fun when there is nobody to play and you can’t get into the playoffs.

Sure, this seems far-fetched, but that’s because it is a very simple common sense solution to ensure the sport remains strong and viable. This current model is ridiculous and not sustainable because there will always be schools searching out better deals and greener pastures.

How is it a good thing if teams are changing conferences or rumoring to change conferences every year? Florida State and Clemson aren’t happy with their current deal, so the answer is to add two teams from the West Coast? Give me a break with that nonsense.

College football is killing itself for no reason. And I wouldn’t say that is because some traditional rivals have been killed, but because the current model does not make sense. It isn’t sustainable and will never be stable.

The people that run college athletics are stupid for continuing to allow these things to happen. The power teams and conferences need to all get in one room and figure out how to stop this madness. There are simple solutions, but those would require a lot less ego and a lot more common sense than most college administrators seemingly have.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This model is not sustainable in the long run...
"The people in charge are stupid because they are letting money make the decisions," is quite a take on things. The fact he threw out a "take the top 80 teams" and went into some far fetched scenario makes me wonder if he's posting here as SMF.

I’d rather stay in the ACC.
Even if the ACC is Temple, UCONN, Memphis, Marshall, Navy, Florida Atlantic, BC, Syracuse, WF, and Pitt?
Nobody knows how things will turn out, but staying in the ACC may end up being a worse option that the Big 12 🤷🏽‍♀️

I feel as though the point of being a member of a conference in 2023 is simply for tv rights and a piece of the revenue. That’s it.
Sadly that is what it has become. The GREED of folks like espn, the Presidents/Chancellors of the schools, the AD's of the schools and even more sadly, the players. It really does all need to be blown up and restarted again under a completely different format. How about ALL of the FBS football programs work TOGETHER to strengthen the sport and thus creating an even larger financial reward at the end of each season for each team. NCAA BB has March Madness, why can't NCAA FBS football have a similar setup?

We are all going to live. Football is a privilege in this crazy game of life. We must realize there are more important things than a pigskin. Above all else, we must always screw West Virginia, so no, I will not accept this crap.
It will be okay

And that's why I don't care about conferences. If Pitt were Independent like they were years ago, it would be fine with me. I just want to go watch a football game and enjoy the time doing it. The rest of it, conferences, NIL, revenue sharing, is just a lot of noise.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
As non blue bloods the best most can hope for at this point is just a safe landing in a super conference with a regional division. Definitely beats the alternative. Strength in numbers and no way the “power” two will be able to deny the legacy programs and millions of fans that the 3rd 20 team conference will bring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT