ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen should be next hire

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
If indeed Duzz is forced out or leaves, it will satisfy the online masses desire for an offensive-minded head coach with somewhat success and experience. I like Duzz and agree with posts that you can only replace him if you can be better. This is one trade I would make, particularly since it could keep Izzy, Bart, and Kenny in the mix for next year. Are we a better team if we keep duzz, but lose those players and recruits. The portal opens a whole new level of issues that will have continued ramifications for PITT. He also has past PA ties. This is who I would want, but don't want to see PITT pull another Dixon/Stallings/Wanny/Heyward fiasco.

If Josh Gattis gets Miami going in the next couple years, he checks a ton of boxes. OC at Bama and Michigan. From Durham, went to Wake. Knows the ACC. Big on Twitter at PSU (but not not a great speller).

Narduzzi has 8 more years after this one at 5-something per year. And it seems like buyouts are becoming a thing of the past: Teams are typically on the hook for the full remaining amount.

So any changes need to happen between Pat Narduzzi's ears, because he's not going to be moving any time soon. Even if this thing becomes a shit show on wheels, he's here until at least 2027.

Narduzzi has 8 more years after this one at 5-something per year. And it seems like buyouts are becoming a thing of the past: Teams are typically on the hook for the full remaining amount.

So any changes need to happen between Pat Narduzzi's ears, because he's not going to be moving any time soon.
Unfortunately this is true and he needs to tone his ego down and do what's right for our players as well fans.

So any changes need to happen between Pat Narduzzi's ears, because he's not going to be moving any time soon. Even if this thing becomes a shit show on wheels, he's here until at least 2027.
This is where Lyke comes in. I realize fully that Duz winning the conference gave him more freedom but Lyke had to be dubious of the Cig hire. Duz is more in the weeds and likely couldn’t care less at the bigger picture of college football. But Lyke, being as brilliant and persuasive as many here claim she is, needed to recognize how critical it was to capitalize or gasp, maybe even improve upon high expectations. And Cig was NOT the guy to fulfill those expectations. Some push back was needed there. She failed as much if not more than Duz and Cig here.

As far as Duz here to 2027, it is starting to be dubious that Pitt football (or BC football, or WVU football or TCU football etc) will exist in 2027. Can he coach three point shooting? Can ANYONE PLEASE coach three point shooting?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray-Ray
This is where Lyke comes in. I realize fully that Duz winning the conference gave him more freedom but Lyke had to be dubious of the Cig hire. Duz is more in the weeds and likely couldn’t care less at the bigger picture of college football. But Lyke, being as brilliant and persuasive as many here claim she is, needed to recognize how critical it was to capitalize or gasp, maybe even improve upon high expectations. And Cig was NOT the guy to fulfill those expectations. Some push back was needed there. She failed as much if not more than Duz and Cig here.
Duzz was instrumental in bringing HL here. There is the conflict of interest.

Reactions: 1Skeets
Duzz was instrumental in bringing HL here. There is the conflict of interest.
I do forget sometimes that these oily AD are spending most of their time jockeying for their next job, but she’s been way out of the public eye of late. Maybe wisely so given the horrors of the hoops and football this past month. But there should have been more than passive rubber stamping in that critical off-season. How many second, third, or fourth interviews with B1G schools has she been going on lately?

Lets say he goes

22: 6-6
23: 5-7
24: 6-6
25: 5-7

I can see a change being made after the 2025 season with 5 years left on the contract. That would be 5+ regular season losses in 9 of the last 10 years. That's bad.

Lets say he goes

22: 6-6
23: 5-7
24: 6-6
25: 5-7

I can see a change being made after the 2025 season with 5 years left on the contract. That would be 5+ regular season losses in 9 of the last 10 years. That's bad.

That's $5M/year we'd be paying Narduzzi not to coach.

Then the market rate to find a merely similar coach by then will probably be $6.5Mish/year. So if we actually wanted to get an even better tiered name, we might be looking at $7.5M/year, at least.

I don't think we're paying $13M/year for a football coach.

And it will probably be way more than that once the BIG and SEC turn the market upside-down even more with their monopoly money.

Dooz is here for the next 10 years. I suggest everybody look into getting one of these...

0b0966c0-73f6-40d8-81ae-3632ff672214.dad90050dcc6ac9145ad009909c550d5.jpeg

That's $5M/year we'd be paying Narduzzi not to coach.

Then the market rate to find a merely similar coach by then will probably be $6.5Mish/year. So if we actually wanted to get an even better tiered name, we might be looking at $7.5M/year, at least.

I don't think we're paying $13M/year for a football coach.

And it will probably be way more than that once the BIG and SEC turn the market upside-down even more with their monopoly money.
Which is why we have to hope some crappy B10 program comes after him.

Reactions: columbus mike
Between the Steelers and Pitt this year, I’ve read enough dumb hot takes to last a lifetime.

8 more years, i'm shocked. What was the reasoning. He wasn't going anywhere else.

Just because Duzz sucks this year doesn’t mean it erases last. I think those saying Lyke needs to step in and tell him he needs an offense that doesn’t predate Velcro hit the nail on the head. Narduzzi is a solid defensive coach. He needs guys who are innovative to run the offense.

There is 0% chance Narduzzi is getting fired. Last year was as good as a Pitt team can likely do in the current football climate.

Will Narduzzi keep Cignetti and some of the other offensive coaches is really the only question.

My hope is that Narduzzi brings in another pass heavy coach.
H2P

Didn't he land the 8th, 7th, and 10th ranked classes at Florida?

I don't feel like googling it, but Mullen was ridiculed widely last year after a loss (I think to Georgia) when someone asked recruiting and he gave some kind of lame answer I believe. Kirby Smart trolled him later by giving an interview saying how if you aren't in it to recruiting, you shouldn't be in this profession. Something to that effect.

I know they weren't happy about his recruiting and maybe those rankings were more of the SEC bump than actual players who would contribute.

Last edited:
Didn't he land the 8th, 7th, and 10th ranked classes at Florida?

Yeah. That doesn't mean much at Florida when there are 2 or 3 other SEC programs consistently signing better classes. Not only in terms of rankings, but the difference is obvious on the field.

I don't feel like googling it, but Mullen was ridiculed widely last year after a loss (I think to Georgia) when someone asked recruiting and he gave some kind of lame answer I believe. Kirby Smart trolled him later by giving an interview saying how if you aren't in it to recruiting, you shouldn't be in this profession. Something to that effect.

I know they weren't happy about his recruiting and maybe those rankings were more of the SEC bump than actual players who would contribute.
Well looking at his first draft class it had a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick (transfer) The rest of the players are RS juniors or younger by now.

-1st round CB to Bills Kaiir Elam
-Brought in 3nd round pick DE Jonathan Greenard after he missed the previous season with injury at Lousiville the previous year.

But yeah,. I have no idea of the quality of recruits and looking at draft picks is as far as I go into a team I don't give a shit about. But I mean he did a pretty damn good job at Mississippi State while playing in a division that had the national champion most seasons and made 3 straight NY6 bowls in his first 3 seasons at UF. So yeah I'd take him, but I don't think Pitt could get him.

There are a lot of people that cover Florida that felt Mullen didn't really want to be there and that he had become burned out on the college game. Supposedly, he worked behind the scenes to try to try to land an NFL gig, pretty much from the time he arrived in Gainesville.

Any past instances where an AD had influence on assistant coaches being hired let alone coordinator hires?

Mullen’s a stubborn asshole who people find difficult to like and who doesn’t appear to be willing to philosophically do what it takes to compete at the highest levels of the sport.

Spot on. This is exactly the description of Duz. by many.

Yeah, there's no way in hell Mullen is any more of those things than Narduzzi. He's had seasons of 10-3 and 11-2 at Florida and 9-4, 10-3, 9-4, and 9-4 at Mississippi State. Because of the competition being relative, I'm not sure those records for those teams aren't the same degree of difficulty as producing similar records at Pitt, which Narduzzi only has once.

If he sucks over the next three years - there's no way you just stick with him because of his contract. Pitt should have very good legal people who can negotiate a buyout with Narduzzi if he sucks. It's not a given that he get's all of his final years on his contract if he sucks - buyouts/negotiations happen everyday.

Yeah, there's no way in hell Mullen is any more of those things than Narduzzi. He's had seasons of 10-3 and 11-2 at Florida and 9-4, 10-3, 9-4, and 9-4 at Mississippi State. Because of the competition being relative, I'm not sure those records for those teams aren't the same degree of difficulty as producing similar records at Pitt, which Narduzzi only has once.
Yeah, no. The competition is not relative, that's one of the dumber things I've ever heard. Being an SEC West team in the 2000s not named Alabama, LSU, or Auburn is not relative to the Coastal.

Yeah, no. The competition is not relative, that's one of the dumber things I've ever heard. Being an SEC West team in the 2000s not named Alabama, LSU, or Auburn is not relative to the Coastal.

I was referring to what kind of support and financial capabilities those teams have versus what Pitt has. Florida obviously has much more support and financial flexibility than Pitt, but they also play a more difficult schedule, so the records become somewhat comparable when factoring in the fact that each team plays peer programs.

And since joined the ACC, we've won 70 games and Mississippi State has won 71, so they must be in the ballpark of comparable, as Mullen was only there for 5 of those 10 seasons.

But okay. If they're not relative then Mullen has done even more of a better job than Narduzzi, which is the point I was making in the first place. Stick around and I can probably say something even dumber, your majesty.

I was referring to what kind of support and financial capabilities those teams have versus what Pitt has. Florida obviously has much more support and financial flexibility than Pitt, but they also play a more difficult schedule, so the records become somewhat comparable when factoring in the fact that each team plays peer programs.

And since joined the ACC, we've won 70 games and Mississippi State has won 71, so they must be in the ballpark of comparable, as Mullen was only there for 5 of those 10 seasons.

But okay. If they're not relative then Mullen has done even more of a better job than Narduzzi, which is the point I was making in the first place. Stick around and I can probably say something even dumber, your majesty.
I completely agree with Mullen outperforming Narduzzi. But Mississippi State was/is a bottom feeder SEC team in recruiting and financial support playing agaionst 3-4 top 15 teams per season. The level of competitive balance, funding, institutional support, etc. is far more balance in the Coastal than the SEC West. That division produced 6 National Champions in the 9 seasons that Mullins was coaching there.

On the financial side Bama, Texas A&M, LSU, and Auburn are all likely top 10 revenue generators during Mullin's tenure, with each approaching or eclipsing $100 million in football revenue. Meanwhile, Mississippi State is probably within a few percentage points of Pitt.

Take Pitt and stick them in a conference with Clemson, a Jimbo Fisher FSU, Larry Coker's Miami, and a 55-year old Frank Beamer VT and that might be comparable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT