ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Jones

Giants may have been able to trade their #30 pick for Rosen, and then used #6 for an actual top 10 draft pick.
Hell the Steelers should have dangled Rudolph to the Giants if they wanted a development project QB so badly. He'll never play for the Steelers now, after the BR extension. Yet many probably still see high upside for him (if not beating out Dobbs for 2nd string didn't hurt that).

Hell the Steelers should have dangled Rudolph to the Giants if they wanted a development project QB so badly. He'll never play for the Steelers now, after the BR extension. Yet many probably still see high upside for him (if not beating out Dobbs for 2nd string didn't hurt that).

Would you rather overpay for a car that you really like or settle for a mediocre car because it's a "better value"?

Remember, scouts were very divided on Rudolph. The Steelers can claim they had a first round grade on him (even though that's transparently nonsensical), but a lot of scouts graded him as a late round pick. One of the more divisive non-first round QBs I've seen in a while. Definitely not someone the Giants would trade for if they weren't interested in taking him @ 69 last year.

Redskins wanted Jones, they called the Jets to trade up, so that's why they picked him when they did. I think he's going to be a good NFL QB. Good athleticism and accurate arm and he's a smart kid that will be able to make quick decisions SO necessary in teh nfl.

I still don’t think Jones was ever a real option for the Redskins, they were always focused on Haskins. Daniel Snyder wanted him from the start, Haskins was the only player interview Snyder sat in on.

I still don’t think Jones was ever a real option for the Redskins, they were always focused on Haskins. Daniel Snyder wanted him from the start, Haskins was the only player interview Snyder sat in on.
But they say the coach and front office wanted Jones -- who knows. It would make sense, the NY times I think ran a story saying Snyder was a racist -- so drafting Haskins may have been a PR move for him. Like I said, who knows?

I guess all you Jones haters sitting at home are right and the Giants experts who make a living doing this are wrong.
The Giants should have called each of you prior to drafting the guy.

From reading the posts sounds like he'd have trouble making a college team.

Oh he already did that, did great, and now moves on to the NFL as a high draft choice.

Jones did well!
So did the Giants.

Last edited:
But they say the coach and front office wanted Jones -- who knows. It would make sense, the NY times I think ran a story saying Snyder was a racist -- so drafting Haskins may have been a PR move for him. Like I said, who knows?
Or they leaked that to bilk the giants into picking him and leaving Haskins

Two incompetent franchises battling it out

I had heard Snyder wanted Haskins but the coaches wanted Jones. The Redskins have been a s@@@show under Snyder. Even though he owns the team I think he is the last guy who's opinion you want drafting players.

Why does anyone think Haskins is any better than Jones? Switch their teams and see what would happen. Meyer hardly known for producing NFL QBs.

Reactions: FireballZ
70% completion rate, stronger arm.
Over 4-1 td to int ratio

Not sure why anyone thinks jones is better

Give me the list of QBs in Meyer's system who were good NFL QBs. Hint, it's a really, really short list. Switch their teams and watch what would happen.

Not sure what your hangup is with Jones.

Give me the list of QBs in Meyer's system who were good NFL QBs. Hint, it's a really, really short list. Switch their teams and watch what would happen.

Not sure what your hangup is with Jones.

No hang up.
I don’t care if the giants wasted a pick .
He’s just both flawed and likely near his ceiling

The guy with a more accurate and stronger arm would have been my pick.

Souf is full of good news, and morning cheer as usual.

He knows more than those who make a living doing this stuff.
The Giants think they're on to a good thing.

I'm going with the pros -The Giants.

Souf so you're cleaning out the nuclear fallout shelter today?
In your miserable world who knows right!

He does NOT have a great arm. That is one of the weaknesses everyone has said about him; he doesn't throw the deep ball with any zip because he doesn't have a very good arm.

And it is really hard to be a successful NFL quarterback if you can't throw the deep ball. Not impossible, but really difficult.

Reactions: BFo8
I guess all you Jones haters sitting at home are right and the Giants experts who make a living doing this are wrong.
The Giants should have called each of you prior to drafting the guy.

From reading the posts sounds like he'd have trouble making a college team.

Oh he already did that, did great, and now moves on to the NFL as a high draft choice.

Jones did well!
So did the Giants.

Of course the problem with this is many organizations that have proven to be more astute than the Giants didn’t even have Jones as a 1st rounder. I’m assuming those guys get paid to do their jobs as well.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Raking leaves actually

I have a rooting interest in duke and duke football in particular- and the giants plan is to wait a few years.

The discussion is on the bad decision making.

Your logical fallacies of appealing to authority I’ll simplify dismiss because-
As you like to often spout out on a variety topics - in contrast to professionals in those fields-
I’ll point out not all professionals are competent.
Check the brim of your hat for an example.

The bottom line is this - you don’t use the 6th overall pick on a player who’s going to sit for three years. And it will be even a worst pick when the Giants hire a new coach and new GM in two years and the new regime will not want anything to do with Jones.

The bottom line is this - you don’t use the 6th overall pick on a player who’s going to sit for three years. And it will be even a worst pick when the Giants hire a new coach and new GM in two years and the new regime will not want anything to do with Jones.
If Jones is the guy they think he is, then he better be starting within 2 years.

So basically NFL teams never screw up draft picks then, right? After all, they know way more about these guys then we do.
I will say you're an astute sports guy, and I'll also say otherson here give themselves to much credit and are great second guessers.
Draft picks dont work out at times for all different reasons. Draft picks work out as expected and others exceed expectations like Juju.
As one former NFL team President said the draft is a gamble, and you just have hope you end up with more hits than misses.
NFL teams have more information on players than the average message board person,they have a dedicated staff focused on recruiting,they know the team needs, so given the decision making time window I would think they're in the best position to make good picks.
Otherwise they could get rid if a few people and ask message board guys to make their picks.
I'm sticking with the pros.

Last edited:
NFL teams have more information on players than the average message board person,they have a dedicated staff focused on recruiting,they know the team needs, so given the decision making time window I would think they're in the best position to make good picks.

And yet they still do stupid stuff, every year. And I'm not talking about simple misses, I'm talking about legitimately stupid stuff, like taking a guy that no one else has in the top ten and many don't have in the top 20 at number six.

Or if you don't want to pick on the Giants, taking a guy at four that pretty much no one had in the top ten and many didn't have in the top 20. Draft picks are an asset that needs to be maximized whenever possible, and taking guys long before anyone else would take them isn't maximizing your asset, even if those guys turn into really good players.

I will say you're an astute sports guy, and I'll also say otherson here give themselves to much credit and are great second guessers.
Draft picks dont work out at times for all different reasons. Draft picks work out as expected and others exceed expectations like Juju.
As one former NFL team President said the draft is a gamble, and you just have hope you end up with more hits than misses.
Otherwise they could get rid if a few people and ask message board guys to make their picks.
I'm sticking with the pros.

You keep ignoring the fact that most of the “pros”, like the ones from the teams that have proven to be much smarter than the Giants thought it was a huge reach by them. The Giants personnel were literally the only ones that thought he should’ve gone near that high.

Souf is the worlds greatest......greatest.
He should make all the picks

You keep ignoring the fact that most of the “pros”, like the ones from the teams that have proven to be much smarter than the Giants thought it was a huge reach by them. The Giants personnel were literally the only ones that thought he should’ve gone near that high.
I understand what you posted and I wasn't addressing the other teams just the Giants.

The Giants saw something the other teams didn't see.

We'll see how it works out won't we.

They have tons of film, analytics, and they understand their needs.

I said I like the pick for lots of reasons and I think he has the potential to develop into a really good NFL QB.

If a franchise is right on guys like this it will help their future.

I'm not a Giants fan, actually I can't stand any NY or NJ anything especially sports teams.

I do like successful ACC players and I like players who come out of programs where they had to exercise their brains in addition to their bodies! The ACC has lots of programs with smart players ( Pitt, Cuse, GT, UVA, Wake, UNC) which is an intangible when attempting to rate players!

I really like to see Ivy guys or other good school guys transition to be great pro athletes!
This is college football comprised of "student athletes." It's nice to see student athletes succeed!

They also make really good announcers when they're career is finished. Some of the people the networks put behind the desk can't put two sentences together.

Last edited:
Snyder wanting Haskins means Haskins will likely be a bust.

I understand what you posted and I wasn't addressing the other teams just the Giants.

The Giants saw something the other teams didn't see.

We'll see how it works out won't we.

They have tons of film, analytics, and they understand their needs.

I said I like the pick for lots of reasons and I think he has the potential to develop into a really good NFL QB.

If a franchise is right on guys like this it will help their future.

I'm not a Giants fan, actually I can't stand any NY or NJ anything especially sports teams.

I do like successful ACC players and I like players who come out of programs where they had to exercise their brains in addition to their bodies! The ACC has lots of programs with smart players ( Pitt, Cuse, GT, UVA, Wake, UNC) which is an intangible when attempting to rate players!

I really like to see Ivy guys or other good school guys transition to be great pro athletes!
This is college football comprised of "student athletes." It's nice to see student athletes succeed!

They also make really good announcers when they're career is finished. Some of the people the networks put behind the desk can't put two sentences together.

Understood, I have nothing against him at all. Just don’t think he has the near the accuracy to make up for his lack of arm strength.

Like you said though no one knows anything for sure.

Understood, I have nothing against him at all. Just don’t think he has the near the accuracy to make up for his lack of arm strength.

Like you said though no one knows anything for sure.
This morning's news.
The Giants must see something in this guy.
Overdrafted: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
Round 1, Pick 6 - New York Giants

Here’s the thing with Daniel Jones. He’s one of those guys where if you watch him long enough, you can see what a team like the Giants likes about him. He has size and toughness. He’s more athletic than you’d expect. He throws the ball with nice touch and accuracy, especially on intermediate routes. But No. 6 overall? Picked before Dwayne Haskins? If you would have told any close follower of college football either of those things a few months ago, they would have said you were crazy. Jones could very well become an average starter, but at no point has he ever flashed the potential of second QB taken.

Giants draftees dropping like files already. Maybe that's why they drafted Jones I don't think anyones trying to kill him at this point.

Play a few bad games for the Giants and that could change fast!

Giants draftee Corey Ballentine wounded, Washburn teammate Dwane Simmons killed in shooting

Nick Bromberg
14 hrs ago

Last edited:
I don't think anybody was saying here or elsewhere that the Jones guy wasn't worthy to be picked high. But most are agreeing that there isn't much merit for that high of a pick. There a draft grade show on espn yesterday with Kiper and others and all acknowledged the appeal of the guy, but each took turns basically laying out why almost all the other top 5 QB taken including Greer essentially deserved to go before Jones.

I don't think anybody was saying here or elsewhere that the Jones guy wasn't worthy to be picked high. But most are agreeing that there isn't much merit for that high of a pick. There a draft grade show on espn yesterday with Kiper and others and all acknowledged the appeal of the guy, but each took turns basically laying out why almost all the other top 5 QB taken including Greer essentially deserved to go before Jones.

I think everyone agrees Jones was Overdrafted even the morning news had him as the first overdrafted player.

And it went on to say the Giants must see something in Jones that they need. I agree.
They have tons of film analytics, interviews, and other info so he must be what they want.

I like the pick!
But we'll see!

The Giants' problem is that they're pursuing two strategies which are opposed: win now and trust the process.

Win now evidence: 1) April 2018 - Take a RB 2 overall instead of trading down for more picks and still getting an immediate impact player like Q. Nelson or R. Smith; 2) August 2018 - extend 25 year old HoF WR; 3) April 2019 - take the player you want at 6 overall instead of trading down for more picks and still getting an impact player like J. Allen

Trust the process evidence: 1) March 2019 - trade 26 year old HoF WR for a box safety, a guard, Clemon's 3rd best DT, and a LB from TCU; 2) discuss extending 38 year old QB and sitting QB taken at 6 overall up to 3 years.

What they're doing just makes no sense. Personally, I would have taken Darnold in 2018 or traded down and gotten a ton of picks, tried to rebuild, and then draft a QB in 2019 or 2020 when you have the other pieces there but I can see how reasonable people would disagree. What you can't disagree on is that they're going in two different directions at once and neither will work out in the optimal way if they just pursued one strategy.

This discussion brings up the following question.

Who is the greatest NFL player to ever come out of Duke?

Its not much of a list......Mike Curtis comes to mind.

If Jones is lucky, he'll be Neil O'Donnell good.
Can Eli snarling "I'm the man, write it down," be far off? Then later blaming another poor passing day on the wind whipping off that big lake near the city? :D

But Super Bowl gaffes aside (probably werent his fault), that'd be nothing to sneeze at, he had a nice career.

Reactions: pittdan77
This discussion brings up the following question.

Who is the greatest NFL player to ever come out of Duke?

Its not much of a list......Mike Curtis comes to mind.

I remember Mike Curtis, but wouldn't have known he went to Duke unless I would have Googled it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT