ADVERTISEMENT

Day after thoughts . . .

kma0043

Junior
Nov 30, 2014
Always takes a little bit to flush out emotions and think reality after a Pitt game. Here’s some thoughts:

1. This offense would be immobile without Pickett. He has flaws, but he’s been gutty and pretty good this year. In a few years we will look back at him as a decent Pitt QB in retrospect.
2. The lack of a RB and TE is glaring inside the 20. Once the field compresses close to the end zone Pitt’s deficiencies at those positions show, and it’s costing the team points and wins.
3. Pitt plays with fire frequently with teams with less talent and gets burnt. The team plays up, and down, to its competitors. There’s no consistency or discipline, and it’s hard not to point at coaching staff for those.
4. Look forward to BC. Root hard for a win and 4-1 after five games. Most rational Pitt fans would have probably thought 4-1 after five was reality, except that Louisville would be the lone loss.
5. Pitt is like a bad drug, or woman, you can’t shake. H2P!

Last edited:
Is there anyone on D line who could come in on goal line. This O line gets zero push forward.

Reactions: sonofabit
Is there anyone on D line who could come in on goal line. This O line gets zero push forward.

Auburn used a 300 pound TE out of the wildcat on 3rd and short a couple times last night with great success. Not saying it’s sustainable but it looked unstoppable when they did it.

Auburn used a 300 pound TE out of the wildcat on 3rd and short a couple times last night with great success. Not saying it’s sustainable but it looked unstoppable when they did it.
I assume Wheeler graduated last year? He was in backfield at times last year.

Always takes a little bit to flush out emotions and think reality after a Pitt game. Here’s some thoughts:

1. This offense would be immobile without Pickett. He has flaws, but he’s been gutty and pretty good this year. In a few years we will look back at him as a decent Pitt QB in retrospect.
2. The lack of a RB and TE is glaring inside the 20. Once the field compresses close to the end zone Pitt’s deficiencies at those positions show, and it’s costing the team points and wins.
3. Pitt plays with fire frequently with teams with less talent and gets burnt. The team plays up, and down, to its competitors. There’s no consistency or discipline, and it’s hard not to point at coaching staff for those.
4. Look forward to BC. Root hard for a win and 4-1 after five games. Most rational Pitt fans would have probably thought 4-1 after five was reality, except that Louisville would be the lone loss.
5. Pitt is like a bad drug, or woman, you can’t shake. H2P!
There is one problem inside the 20 yard line. It is the offensive line!! No talent here.

I cant figure out why we can't get any push with our offensive line? Is it talent, coaching, heart or a combination of all 3. Morrissey said it best; Saturday was so embarrassing for the Oline specifically. The whole time except Pickett looked rough, but for them to be bullied all game was almost traumatic. I hope none of them slept well.

There is zero sophistication in the Pitt running plays. Without superior, and I mean truly superior talent, the running scheme has no chance. What do we have 3 running plays and a jet sweep?

This OC has them playing with their hands tied behind them and a leg in a cast. No chance.

Wheeler was/is not the answer. I never saw a fullback miss so many blocks. It more or less summarizes Narduzzi. We need a big body at fullback. Hey this Wheeler kid is big, I know he never played the spot but put him in there and let's not teach him how to do it either.

agree with gary.......

How about a pulling guard or a counter.

So sick of seeing no innovation.
whipple is a miserable cuss .. he sucks.

On the one Davis run that went for four yards and a first down, I think, on the final TD drive for Pitt they pulled someone. And it looked to work. If someone recorded the game go back and look.

I will add that the 300 pound behemoth Auburn had running the wildcat played some QB in high school so taking snaps wasn’t a new thing for him,.

We don’t have talent on the OL but the play calling doesn’t help either. Every run play is between the tackles and we never have any wrinkles or imagination. Whipple has been a disappointment
With a couple of notable exceptions that don’t really apply to Pitt, if you’re not spreading the field and going tempo with a true dual threat QB, you’re playing checkers in the chess game of major college football.

When programs like Bama, LSU, UGA and Clemson start doing it, that should tell a coach something. Just not this coach I guess.

6 years with no discernible offensive identity.

Last edited:
With a couple of notable exceptions that don’t really apply to Pitt, if you’re not spreading the field and golf tempo with a true dual threat QB, you’re playing checkers in the chess game of major college football.

When programs like Bama, LSU, UGA and Clemson start doing it, that should tell a coach something. Just not this coach I guess.

6 years with no discernible offensive identity.
Agreed - He needs to hire an innovative OC, and revamp the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. They need an injection of good, young recruiters. Beatty is the one guy I’d keep.

Reactions: W1np1tt
That #29 NT for NC State really got the best of Morrissey and Kradle. And when they run those zone blocking schemes it doesn't help when you have a dancing scat back.

I clearly remember one running play that was setup perfectly. 4 LB's were dropping, they had 2 double-teams on the 3 lineman... only issue was a blitzing corner. Scatback sees the blitzing corner... panics... dances... and runs right into one of the double-teamed DL for a 6 yard loss. Holy crap... I've seen middle schoolers handle situations better than this.

Reactions: bwh05
That #29 NT for NC State really got the best of Morrissey and Kradle. And when they run those zone blocking schemes it doesn't help when you have a dancing scat back.

I clearly remember one running play that was setup perfectly. 4 LB's were dropping, they had 2 double-teams on the 3 lineman... only issue was a blitzing corner. Scatback sees the blitzing corner... panics... dances... and runs right into one of the double-teamed DL for a 6 yard loss. Holy crap... I've seen middle schoolers handle situations better than this.

I agree, the backs have to look terrible on film because they all seem to lack vision/miss cuts, especially if you're going to be a zone blocking team. We rarely cut back, which is often WIDE OPEN. All in all, the RB's and OL on this team aren't strong.

On the one Davis run that went for four yards and a first down, I think, on the final TD drive for Pitt they pulled someone. And it looked to work. If someone recorded the game go back and look.
I noticed that the first time they pulled the guard that he blew up the hole and they gained 4 yards. On the goal line, the right guard pulled to the left and then stopped in the hole like he was pass blocking. WTF was that??

Reactions: PittAU
I noticed that the first time they pulled the guard that he blew up the hole and they gained 4 yards. On the goal line, the right guard pulled to the left and then stopped in the hole like he was pass blocking. WTF was that??

I think they are so used to the zone blocking scheme and the pass blocking... they don't get physical enough - especially pulling. But it does it matter? Scat back? You might as well be playing flag football. There was one play Morrissey tackled him as he went thru the crease. He just bounced off and went down... he didn't just stumble and bumble... he flat out looked like someone just drilled him.

You want to throw to him out in the flat... where he might be able to get a guy to miss... OK. Running him between the tackles where he's as likely to get taken down by his own lineman?? Yeah... no.

I think they are so used to the zone blocking scheme and the pass blocking... they don't get physical enough - especially pulling. But it does it matter? Scat back? You might as well be playing flag football. There was one play Morrissey tackled him as he went thru the crease. He just bounced off and went down... he didn't just stumble and bumble... he flat out looked like someone just drilled him.

You want to throw to him out in the flat... where he might be able to get a guy to miss... OK. Running him between the tackles where he's as likely to get taken down by his own lineman?? Yeah... no.

He seems to tackle himself frequently by running into piles. He just doesn't have good vision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT