ADVERTISEMENT

DeCourcy Article

Bro, that's such a self defeating attitude.

Let me ask you this: is Jamie Dixon the only coach who will ever deliver basketball success at Pitt? Because that is. The theme from those who are gnashing their teeth and weeping over the memory of the now gone former coach.

Somewhat accurate and only half truthful.

But rant on so you can feel better about yourself.
Plenty aren't pining for Dixon, just knew replacing him would be difficult, and we'd likely be worse as a result.

He had a good run here and left. He's not an option

Let me ask you this: is Jamie Dixon the only coach who will ever deliver basketball success at Pitt? Because that is. The theme from those who are gnashing their teeth and weeping over the memory of the now gone former coach.

In our modern history, Dixon has had the most success, and that wasn't enough for our fans. I posted for the last 5 years that we had a much higher chance of getting someone worse than better. By definition, this was nearly going to be a certainty. And that proved to be true.

A real self defeating attitude is running off your best coach ever and hoping to get guys like Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, Gregg Marshall, Sean Miller. Pitt always goes with the much cheaper hire. Always has. The defeatist attitude is actually the one wanting to run off your best coach ever and hoping for the sky, and getting much less than you even had.

Dixon had four years to recruit a replacement at point and left nobody capable of playing the position at an ACC level, at least not now. Wilson, Milligan, Clark (injured), and Kithcart. Whiff.

How about center? We haven't had a true center since Gary McGhee. Dixon left Nix. That's worse than an F.

Shooting guard? Clark had some potential before his injury. Chris Jones can't score, period. There's nobody else. Another F.

Bench: None.

In fact, if it weren't for some lightly-recruited players from the WPIAL (Luther, Johnson, and Jeter), this team would be an unmitigated disaster.

If you wonder why Pitt "settled" for Stallings, this is it. No up-and-comer wanted to step into a major rebuilding job in the hardest conference in the country.

In our modern history, Dixon has had the most success, and that wasn't enough for our fans. I posted for the last 5 years that we had a much higher chance of getting someone worse than better. By definition, this was nearly going to be a certainty. And that proved to be true.

A real self defeating attitude is running off your best coach ever and hoping to get guys like Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, Gregg Marshall, Sean Miller. Pitt always goes with the much cheaper hire. Always has. The defeatist attitude is actually the one wanting to run off your best coach ever and hoping for the sky, and getting much less than you even had.

If wanting more than what Jamie Dixon delivered at his peak is wrong in your eyes, then shut the program down.

Sorry, the goal will always be to compete for a national championship. In an common era where Butler and George Mason and VCU have been able to do that, Pitt shouldn't shy away from that same level of success. Jamie Dixon's program was not moving in that direction. It wasn't a one year hiccup. It was a lengthy trend.

No wonder this program is never able to achieve...when so many of its own fans are too afraid of the perils of seeking success.

Drop out of D1 basketball, make it a club sport, give participation trophies to fans and players alike, and no one will ever go home disappointed.

Reactions: singregardless
If wanting more than what Jamie Dixon delivered at his peak is wrong in your eyes, then shut the program down.

Sorry, the goal will always be to compete for a national championship. In an common era where Butler and George Mason and VCU have been able to do that, Pitt shouldn't shy away from that same level of success. Jamie Dixon's program was not moving in that direction. It wasn't a one year hiccup. It was a lengthy trend.

No wonder this program is never able to achieve...when so many of its own fans are too afraid of the perils of seeking success.

Drop out of D1 basketball, make it a club sport, give participation trophies to fans and players alike, and no one will ever go home disappointed.

"Lengthy trend"? I'd hardly call 2 or 3 years a lengthy trend. But you keep on trying to convince yourself of that.

And what are your "perils of seeking success"? NCAA sanctions? Playing in the mud and slop with the "big boys"? Losing scholarships and recruiting illegally? Sorry, I don't want any of that garbage for Pitt, my alma mater. We can do better than that and still achieve success. We already did.

LOL! Facts are facts. It seems some can't deal with that.

"Lengthy trend"? I'd hardly call 2 or 3 years a lengthy trend. But you keep on trying to convince yourself of that.

And what are your "perils of seeking success"? NCAA sanctions? Playing in the mud and slop with the "big boys"? Losing scholarships and recruiting illegally? Sorry, I don't want any of that garbage for Pitt, my alma mater. We can do better than that and still achieve success. We already did.

If you think the basketball programs slide has only covered two or three years, you might want to step out of Mom's basement and breathe some fresh air.

And the fact that you can only equate attempting to compete at the highest level with "sanctions" tells me all I need to know about your spine and instestinal fortitude.

Giving Stallings, a lackluster longtime coach freshly fired from a mediocre job, a 6 year deal when nobody else was competing for his services might be the most glaring sign of how crooked that search firm/Barnes deal was.
Organizations hire people not search firms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The search firm does the legwork and presents candidates to the hiring organization. I use them all the time to hire top level managers in the US and other countries.

It's up to the hiring organization to review the candidates along with the mountains of info the search firm presents and decide on who will be hired!

If you dont like the candidates presented you tell them to get back to work or retain another search firm. In some cases organizations use two search firms and pit one against the other.

Bottom line PITT mgmt didnt do their job when hiring Stallings. All the info posted on the free board was available to Gallagher and company ( 17 medicore yrs at Vanderbilt who was about to force him out).

If Gallagher didnt take this hire seriously he deserves everything thats taking place!

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
Break out a dictionary. Facts are facts. Opinions are BS.

You're obviously not a reasonable person and don't know what facts are and what opinions are. So I'd suggest you do the same with your dictionary, if you have one. Or at least try, if you can, to do some basic research as to the circumstances of Dixon's departure. I'll give you that most is not well known publicly, but it's out there. And most of what you read here about Dixon is fallacy. That's the BS you refer to.

So you're questioning my spine and intestinal fortitude? LOL! You don't know me and have no idea who I am or what I do. It sounds to me that you jump to a lot of conclusions based on your distorted view of reality. I don't have time for that.

Well wasn't that melodramatic. If we can't become Duke, we should shut it down. Yep, those are the only choices.

George Mason, really? So by your logic, George Mason should fire every coach who can't get them to deep runs in the tourney, even if they do ok in their conference.

Pitt is not a powerhouse in sports, particularly basketball. We are probably third tier. Blue Bloods first (Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK), very strong program with some history second (SU, UConn), then we are in the next level.

We were making the tourney every year almost. You can't make a deep run if you don't get there. How deep do you think we'll get now with the new coach? The perils of success is Kevin Stallings. Congratulations on your new found success. Aim high!

Reactions: OriginalEther
If wanting more than what Jamie Dixon delivered at his peak is wrong in your eyes, then shut the program down..

What Jamie did at his peak is fine. I'd be frustrated with NCAAT flameouts but the outstanding regular seasons and deep conference tourney runs were enough for me. However, I was afraid his recruiting slipped too much so that those types of seasons were impossible.

I mean his last recruits are Kithcart and Manigault and though they are still freshmen, they look as bad as anybody he's brought in here.

Reactions: gary2
What Jamie did at his peak is fine. I'd be frustrated with NCAAT flameouts but the outstanding regular seasons and deep conference tourney runs were enough for me. However, I was afraid his recruiting slipped too much so that those types of seasons were impossible.

I mean his last recruits are Kithcart and Manigault and though they are still freshmen, they look as bad as anybody he's brought in here.

Call me silly, but I remember almost as much complaining about Dixon even before the last 5 years as there was recently.

Dixon was constantly railed on for his tournament record.

Call me silly, but I remember almost as much complaining about Dixon even before the last 5 years as there was recently.

Dixon was constantly railed on for his tournament record.

He was but there will always be criticism. Going 28-7 and losing in the R32 is enough for Pitt.

So you are having difficulty with the truth and facts?? Because DeCoursey's description of Dixon and his situation and exit are entirely accurate and truthful. That seems to be a problem for many on here.
How the hell do you know it's "entirely accurate and truthful"? How about sharing your inside source? I know how--because that's the over-simplified version you want to believe.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Article is trash. Dixon leaving isn't the problem. The terrible search and subsequent hire is the problem. This idiotic reporter wants to blame fans and the local media because a coach being paid $3m has skin that is about as thick as Donald Trump's. Sorry we didn't bow down to the king Jamie Dixon. Newsflash, Pitt wasn't getting to the final 4 with Jamie Dixon. Isnt that the point? So year 1 after dixons departure stinks. So what? Pitt will survive and will play basketball even though God's gift to the university moved on. Give the Dixon BS a rest. Pitt's bigger than Jamie Dixon. By the way Dixon is a coach who will end his coaching career without one final 4 appearance.
I believe that last sentence to be true.

AMEN BROTHER! This post should be pinned to the top. But remember this is a fan base that has many among it pining for Wannstedt and his high water mark of a 3rd place finish in a watered down Big East and a Tire Bowl victory.

Funny you were the most vocal during the Wannstedt years about chastising fans for accepting mediocrity and not thinking Pitt could be better. Now you sing a different song. I guess working for the 2nd place health system in a two-horse race will do that to you.
Football has a much better chance of being relevant due to a recruiting base and history.

Hoops , not so much. We don't have many advantages.

I didn't cry or get upset when Dixon left . I hoped we'd take a chance of someone with some upside...like we have with narduzzi in football.

Hiring stallings indicated we had no reason to hope for improvement.

Dixon is a very good coach, and despite his flaws with style and recruiting...he left very big shoes to fill.
Simple probability lead one to understand the chance of hiring someone better was slim.

Replacing wannstedt, who was average...was better odds or having a better coach hired.

Think a bell curve and where each coach is on the curve as compared to peers

And not that it matters but I had job offers from an upmc hospital as well, and don't have any particular loyalty or allegiance to ahn.
When people make bad comments about upmc I likewise think that's stupid and short sighted.

Frankly, it's just a job. And I'll leverage it for the next step... whether in pittsburgh or move back to North Carolina,where we loved it.

I wanted to manage and my wife was willing to move "home". 4 months in, I do enjoy being back as much as I miss our friends and the RTP area .

You're obviously not a reasonable person and don't know what facts are and what opinions are. So I'd suggest you do the same with your dictionary, if you have one. Or at least try, if you can, to do some basic research as to the circumstances of Dixon's departure. I'll give you that most is not well known publicly, but it's out there. And most of what you read here about Dixon is fallacy. That's the BS you refer to.

So you're questioning my spine and intestinal fortitude? LOL! You don't know me and have no idea who I am or what I do. It sounds to me that you jump to a lot of conclusions based on your distorted view of reality. I don't have time for that.

The fact that you chose to extrapolate a comment in the context of athletic competition and apply it to you personally tells me you are even more thin skinned than I could have possibly imagined.

Well wasn't that melodramatic. If we can't become Duke, we should shut it down. Yep, those are the only choices.

George Mason, really? So by your logic, George Mason should fire every coach who can't get them to deep runs in the tourney, even if they do ok in their conference.

Pitt is not a powerhouse in sports, particularly basketball. We are probably third tier. Blue Bloods first (Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK), very strong program with some history second (SU, UConn), then we are in the next level.

We were making the tourney every year almost. You can't make a deep run if you don't get there. How deep do you think we'll get now with the new coach? The perils of success is Kevin Stallings. Congratulations on your new found success. Aim high!

Your suggestion is that Pitt should never even ASPIRE to be Duke...because we are Pitt. You agree with Mike DeCoursy..."know your role Pitt." Sorry. I don't buy that crap.

And by your own assertion that Pitt is a third tier athletic program, we should just settle? That's good enough? You know...because it's Pitt? I'm sorry...you are too busy defeating yourself. Louisville's 55 extra points weren't necessary. You have already lost.

I agree that you can't make a run in the tourney without getting there. I was furious at the announcement of Stallings as coach. It was a horrible execution of the replacement of the winningest basketball coach in school history. Just as choosing Hayward as Wanny's replacement was a horrible coach replacement execution. The failure of Pitt making correct coaching hires does not refute the correct decision to make either coaching change to to aspire to be more successful. It's on the Pitt administration AND FANS/BOOSTERS to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk when it comes to executing the steps that go hand in hand with those aspirations.

I'm shocked by how many on here are afraid of failure.

Reactions: singregardless
Football has a much better chance of being relevant due to a recruiting base and history.

Hoops , not so much. We don't have many advantages.

I didn't cry or get upset when Dixon left . I hoped we'd take a chance of someone with some upside...like we have with narduzzi in football.

Hiring stallings indicated we had no reason to hope for improvement.

Dixon is a very good coach, and despite his flaws with style and recruiting...he left very big shoes to fill.
Simple probability lead one to understand the chance of hiring someone better was slim.

Replacing wannstedt, who was average...was better odds or having a better coach hired.

Think a bell curve and where each coach is on the curve as compared to peers

WVU took down a blue blood this week....And West Virginia has a better recruiting base and history in what ways? Jerry West was a long time ago....Duquesne has more history and look what it has done for them.

Reactions: Nittany1997
Your suggestion is that Pitt should never even ASPIRE to be Duke...because we are Pitt. You agree with Mike DeCoursy..."know your role Pitt." Sorry. I don't buy that crap.

I agree that you can't make a run in the tourney without getting there. I was furious at the announcement of Stallings as coach. It was a horrible execution of the replacement of the winningest basketball coach in school history. Just as choosing Hayward as Wanny's replacement was a horrible coach replacement execution. The failure of Pitt making correct coaching hires does not refute the correct decision to make either coaching change to to aspire to be more successful. It's on the Pitt administration AND FANS/BOOSTERS to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk when it comes to executing the steps that go hand in hand with those aspirations.

I'm shocked by how many on here are afraid of failure

I think too many have lived through the fiascoes over the years and are battle scarred by it. I mean who wouldn't be considering you hire Foge to replace Sherrill, Hayward to replace Wannstedt, Hackett & Majors II, and now Stallings. With all that, Tire Bowls and CBI championships start looking pretty good to the beat down Pitt fan.

WVU took down a blue blood this week....And West Virginia has a better recruiting base and history in what ways? Jerry West was a long time ago....Duquesne has more history and look what it has done for them.
They've hired a hall of fame coach who is alumni

Since when did they become a blue blood? Pitt beat Duke last year.

Single data points don't make a story .

Let's try this again...if we replaced Dixon with a hall of fame coach , we'd all be happy . Those are long odds.

... The perils of success is Kevin Stallings. Congratulations on your new found success. Aim high!

So disingenuous. No one is talking about becoming Duke. We want Pitt to be Pitt.

Aspiring for the achievements that Duke - and many others, to be clear - attain is the spirit here. Not to *be* Duke.

Additionally, I missed anyone celebrating success. The frustration over the lack of success appears to be the sole unifying force behind the thread - that you're applying sarcasm to something literally no one is promoting else says more about you that it does about the aspiration for the program I'm reading in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcoasthoops

And by your own assertion that Pitt is a third tier athletic program, we should just settle? That's good enough? You know...because it's Pitt? I'm sorry...you are too busy defeating yourself. Louisville's 55 extra points weren't necessary. You have already lost.

I'm shocked by how many on here are afraid of failure.
You will never be Bill Gates. What are you going to do now, kill yourself?

So disingenuous. No one is talking about becoming Duke. We want Pitt to be Pitt.

Aspiring for the achievements that Duke - and many others, to be clear - attain is the spirit here. Not to *be* Duke.

Additionally, I missed anyone celebrating success. The frustration over the lack of success appears to be the sole unifying force behind the thread - that you're applying sarcasm to something literally no one is promoting else says more about you that it does about the aspiration for the program I'm reading in this thread.
His response to me was he wants to aspire to become Duke-like, which of course is what my post meant, anyone taking that literally that I was suggesting we would move to N Car is an idiot.

Are you CEO of your company yet? May as well just end it now if not. Just shut it down.

His response to me was he wants to aspire to become Duke-like, which of course is what my post meant, anyone taking that literally that I was suggesting we would move to N Car is an idiot.

Are you CEO of your company yet? May as well just end it now if not. Just shut it down.

Then again, if we move the campus to NC our recruiting base will immediately improve. Make it happen Gallagher!

Not even remotely true. The only schools he brought up in his response to you were VCU, Butler, and George Mason - schools that have all attained the level of success relevant to the discussion about aspiration.

Not only does Duke-like not appear in his response you, he never even typed that once in this thread. You inferred that yourself. You don't have to be Duke to attain high levels of success.

Yet again, you're responding to things that aren't being said.

Last edited:
The fact that you chose to extrapolate a comment in the context of athletic competition and apply it to you personally tells me you are even more thin skinned than I could have possibly imagined.

You made the comment, not me. And you directed it to me. I guess it's that internet tough guy syndrome. Learn to show some respect toward others. But from your posts, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Not even remotely true. The only schools he brought up in his response to you were VCU, Butler, and George Mason - schools that have all attained the level of success relevant to the discussion about aspiration.

Not only does Duke-like not appear in his response you, he never even typed that once in this thread. You inferred that yourself. You don't have to be Duke to attain high levels of success.

Yet again, you're responding to things that aren't being said.
What level of success has George Mason attained? Are you saying that they have a better program? One deep run and otherwise obscurity is better than what we have accomplished?

You made the comment, not me. And you directed it to me. I guess it's that internet tough guy syndrome. Learn to show some respect toward others. But from your posts, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Since you are having a hard time following along, I'll help you out. The reference to being spineless and lacking guts was in context to investing in the hardwork and financial commitment necessary to achieve greatness beyond what has been enjoyed at Pitt.

But no, you immediately think that the only way one can reach greater success at Pitt than what Jamie Dixon delivered is through running afoul of NCAA regulations and drawing sanctions. Which is 100% certifiable rubbish.

You and Kiwi and others of your ilk are turning into the same Paterno-esqe sycophants that we have skewered here for years. For whatever reason, your entire value system is built upon the infallibility of a man who is gone and is never coming back.

You need to get over it. Or, may I suggest just flipping on the VCR and watching the 2009 Elite 8 game against Nova over and over and over again. Just be sure to turn it off with 5 seconds left. Because that is the high-water mark of Pitt basketball...and without Jamie Dixon we will never get there again.

Since you are having a hard time following along, I'll help you out. The reference to being spineless and lacking guts was in context to investing in the hardwork and financial commitment necessary to achieve greatness beyond what has been enjoyed at Pitt.

But no, you immediately think that the only way one can reach greater success at Pitt than what Jamie Dixon delivered is through running afoul of NCAA regulations and drawing sanctions. Which is 100% certifiable rubbish.

You and Kiwi and others of your ilk are turning into the same Paterno-esqe sycophants that we have skewered here for years. For whatever reason, your entire value system is built upon the infallibility of a man who is gone and is never coming back.

You need to get over it. Or, may I suggest just flipping on the VCR and watching the 2009 Elite 8 game against Nova over and over and over again. Just be sure to turn it off with 5 seconds left. Because that is the high-water mark of Pitt basketball...and without Jamie Dixon we will never get there again.
Yeah, like I ever said that. I say he is better than stallings, your mind translates that to he is infallible. So I suppose you think Stallings is Coach K then. See, I can make up crap too.

Last edited:
Yeah, like I ever said that. I say he is better than stallings, your mind translates that to he is infallible. So I suppose you think Stallings is Coach K then. See, I can make up crap too.

What, you aren't going to suggest I go kill myself again?

Maybe you should go back on hiatus.

What, you aren't going to suggest I go kill myself again?

Maybe you should go back on hiatus.
I never suggested that. You said if we can't be the best, we should shut it down. I just wondered if you held the same philosophy in your own life. I used a ridiculous scenario of all or nothing to try to show you how stupid your real suggestion of all or nothing was. Of course, you haven't shown to be a very strong reader, so there's that.

I think we have found some common ground though. We should go out and hire George Mason's AD. They get it.

Last edited:
Think it's time for the true colors shining through song again

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT