ADVERTISEMENT

Defense-- getting better?

PittMBA

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
I know this team's defense is in a different universe than any Pitt team in recent memory (perhaps, save the CBI team); and this is not a compliment.

However, am I the only one that sees improvement? They seem to be doing a really good job with perimeter D and limiting opponent's best guards / wings from going off.

As good as Pitt has been on D the past several years, guarding the 3 point shot has been a problem even for some of our better defensive teams. This team seems to be doing a better and better job defending the 3.

I hope it's a trend, but since the Va Tech debacle, defending the 3 has been really good. They held Grant in check for like 38 minutes, Conaughton was a non factor, Cooney was very limited, L'ville didn't hit a 3 for the first time in forever (I thought the team D was really good for most of that game until the wheels came off) and Paige was held well below his averages and had little impact on the game.

I suspect Pitt is willing to give up some layups to limit open 3s.

J Rob suddenly seems to be a plus defender. Jones is getting better. This team is pretty long as well-- it's well documented that we are undersized at the 5-- but J Rob, Jones, Wright, Jeter, Artis, make for a pretty long group of guards and wings. I haven't seen teams just shooting over us.

The D getting incrementally better could go a long way toward our NCAA hopes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News