ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware going FBS

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Joining CUSA, bringing it to 11 teams. The CAA would still have far too many teams at 14 for football, 13 for bball but if they decided to add more, I wonder if RMU would be in play

I remember Delaware was kicked around with the Big East back in the day. Best of luck to them, they are in an area that has some good football (South Jersey, Eastern PA, eastern MD/VA).

I'd love to catch a game some time there. Kind of a shame that they're ditching the local teams in the CAA to play New Mexico State, but that's the world we live in now I guess

Im sure they'd add a 12th team so their division won't be a whole lot different than the CAA geographically

East
Delaware
Liberty
MTSU
WKU
Kennesaw State
FIU

West
NM St
UTEP
Sam Houston State
Louisiana Tech
Jacksonville State

Reactions: imrealangry
I'd love to catch a game some time there. Kind of a shame that they're ditching the local teams in the CAA to play New Mexico State, but that's the world we live in now I guess
The CAA isn't what it used to be. Two of its original football members have dropped the sport. Two more of its original members have moved up to FBS (JMU and UMass), plus two other schools that joined the league (ODU and Georgia State) jumped up. Heck, the conference even changed its name this year from "Colonial" to "Coastal." Yes, the CAA is more regional, but I can get why Delaware did not feel a strong sense of loyalty or tradition with the conference.

The CAA isn't what it used to be. Two of its original football members have dropped the sport. Two more of its original members have moved up to FBS (JMU and UMass), plus two other schools that joined the league (ODU and Georgia State) jumped up. Heck, the conference even changed its name this year from "Colonial" to "Coastal." Yes, the CAA is more regional, but I can get why Delaware did not feel a strong sense of loyalty or tradition with the conference.

Its such a hodge-podge of so many different types of schools

3 local state schools (Towson, WM, Delaware)

2 New England schools who play every other sport in the American East (Maine, NH)

3 Big East/A10 schools (Nova, URI, Rich)

2 HBCUs (NCAT, Hamp)

2 SUNY schools (Albany, Stony Brook)

3 out-of-place private schools (Monmouth, Campbell, Elon)

5 non-football schools (NE, Drexel, UNCW, Hofstra, CC)

Joining CUSA, bringing it to 11 teams. The CAA would still have far too many teams at 14 for football, 13 for bball but if they decided to add more, I wonder if RMU would be in play
Robert Morris announced it is rejoining the Northeast Conference for football only beginning in 2024.

Temple averaged 13,445 this season.

Delaware averaged 15,564 this season.
The stats I saw showed Temple was closer to 20k where your Delaware figure was accurate. Delaware’s stadium only holds 22k. I assume that will need to be enlarged.

The stats I saw showed Temple was closer to 20k where your Delaware figure was accurate. Delaware’s stadium only holds 22k. I assume that will need to be enlarged.

I am quite sure that Temple, like most other D1 schools make up attendance numbers. For example, they listed 11,232 for a Friday night game opposite a Phillies playoff game and a Sixers exhibition game. I watched some of it and there were not more than 100 people there and that's not an exaggeration.

I am quite sure that Temple, like most other D1 schools make up attendance numbers. For example, they listed 11,232 for a Friday night game opposite a Phillies playoff game and a Sixers exhibition game. I watched some of it and there were not more than 100 people there and that's not an exaggeration.

According to Temple's website, their highest attended home game this year was UTSA but that was still under 20k (18,388 in attendance). See https://owlsports.com/sports/football/stats/2023.

Maybe Temple's following is bigger, but it doesn't seem to be by much.

With Delaware moving up to FBS, the northeast would have the making of a fun FBS conference:

1. Army
2. Buffalo
3. Delaware
4. Navy
5. Temple
6. UConn
7. UMass

A few other schools that I think could move up at some point are Stony Brook, Villanova, and Albany. URI and Maine have also floated ideas to renovate and expand their current stadiums, but I just don’t think their location does them many favors.

Reactions: jctrack
With Delaware moving up to FBS, the northeast would have the making of a fun FBS conference:

1. Army
2. Buffalo
3. Delaware
4. Navy
5. Temple
6. UConn
7. UMass

A few other schools that I think could move up at some point are Stony Brook, Villanova, and Albany. URI and Maine have also floated ideas to renovate and expand their current stadiums, but I just don’t think their location does them many favors.

The A10 should take Temple and Charlotte back and start an FBS football league

Temple
UMass
Rhode Island
Richmond
Charlotte
Memphis (convince them the A10 is better for hoops)
Delaware
UConn (football only)

Non-football
Duq
Dayton
SLU
SBU
VCU
GMU
Fordham
LaSalle
St. Joseph's
Davidson
GW
Loyola

Unfortunately no. No one likes him. Everyone just voted against Trump but that isnt going to work 2 times in a row.
FACTS, nobody ever wanted Biden to be president because they were excited about Biden, last election didn't include Biden, it was LOVE TRUMP vs HATE TRUMP.

Pretty convenient that Delaware is going to the FBS after he met with players and officials on the topic of unionization of college football athletes three weeks ago.

Biden gets Delaware football to FBS

They need a union and collective bargaining. Schools should be paying these players directly, not us fans through these bogus NIL salary pools

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT