ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Groat got fired!

Some guys should be allowed to step down when they want. He I one of them. Poor choice by Pitt. I have less respect for Lyke than ever, and after the wrestling fiasco, I didn’t have much. For goodness sake, it’s Dick Groat. Who is Heather Lyke?
Huh?

Reactions: PittInMissouri
Some guys should be allowed to step down when they want. He I one of them. Poor choice by Pitt. I have less respect for Lyke than ever, and after the wrestling fiasco, I didn’t have much. For goodness sake, it’s Dick Groat. Who is Heather Lyke?

By the same logic, Tom Brady has earned the right to QB until he is 70 if he so chooses.

Groat has been really really bad for awhile but I have always thought, its the radio, who cares, let him go as long as he wants. On the one hand, I dont like the move by Heather, on the other hand, she is continuing to show her shrewdness.

To make matters worse, they will probably just give the job to Curtis Aiken who I dont think is very good at all. I actually prefer Groat.

Reactions: Nashville Panther

Counterpoint-
He falls, breaks a hip or has a stroke during a game-
There’s a legitimate liability issue here with an 88 year old who doesn’t travel , has had health issues- and
Frankly has only been allowed to continue this long because he’s done it so long- and for no other reason.

I listen to most games on the radio due to travel with my work. With respect to Groat’s prior work and career, the last five years of radio broadcasts have not been sharp, and at points a tough listen. Hillgrove misses some things right now as it is, which doesn’t help your color commentary. Aiken has to step in, but almost does so apologetically. By that time it seems like they are two possessions behind. No one should be surprised that Lyke would remove something that was - from her perspective- not operating at high efficiency. She wants better for Pitt athletics, and no stone remains unturned.

Ask her.

Huh?

They at least could have kept him in as a third guy out of respect for his legacy. Bush move IMO

He already is essentially the third guy. He doesn't do road trips now.

It's a move that should have been made at least three or four years ago. Groat needed someone to be his Joe Gordon and tell him when it was time to move on. He obviously didn't have that, and when you don't this is frequently where you end up.

Really hope they don’t go with hill grove and Aiken. Aiken is bad. I loved him as a player but this isn’t his calling.

Groat isn’t “bad”....he just isn’t a slick, quick witted analyst.

But I just listened to the first 10 min of this game in the car. And it will NEVER be the same without him. Having that voice rooting hard and yelling at officials is like watching games with your grandpa. He will sorely, sorely be missed even at his current abilities

Reactions: Pav9870
As was mentioned, his last 5-6 years have been getting worse, some one needed to tell him, or he should have suggested another situation.

If he's amenable to it you pick out a game next year and make it Dick Groat Day.
Actually I'd be amenable to a patch on their uniforms. He's more than a bobblehead. (And for the record I hate that it came to this, but it was a necessary move. Kind of figured it out when they took that recognition moment in the ND game.)

Congrats to Dick Groat on a great career both athletically and more importantly to Pitt as the Color commentator for Pitt basketball for 40 years. He is truly a legend.

In saying that, it was clearly time for him to step back. It is difficult to criticize him because he is such a legend but he simply couldn't do the job anymore.

And Pitt being criticized for making the move is simply asinine. Pitt has plenty to be critical of them for in recent history, this is not one of them.

Heather Lyke with a Scott Barnes-like move: Fire the legend because someone whined, and you have no sense of the past.

A really really bush move that comes off as selfish and petulant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT