ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Groat got fired!

I listened to it twice this year, I prefer that to slick, professional, PC, affirmative action ESPN Broadcast teams.

you can be a homer and still be professionally competent, they are not mutually exclusive. Cope and Fleming (in their prime) are a good example of this. Hillgrove and Groat are pretty much incompetent at this stage in their careers.

I listened to it twice this year, I prefer that to slick, professional, PC, affirmative action ESPN Broadcast teams.

Oh geez, here we go with THAT again . . .

News flash: The "Locker Room" has been reinstated. Plenty of threads there to grind that tired old axe.

What do decency and respect have to do with asking someone who isn't capable of doing the job anymore to retire? Or are there just certain people who are allowed a free pass indefinitely regardless of performance, age, health, etc?
I'll add I bet my life none of these people complaining even listen to the radio broadcasts anymore - unless they themselves are 70+ and if you actually did try to listen, it was painful. He was done, as many rational people on here have mentioned - 3 - 4 years ago. I'd argue they let him hang on for a couple years too long.

BUT - this is Pitt, and Pitt fans gonna do what they do best. Complain and bitch about something

What do decency and respect have to do with asking someone who isn't capable of doing the job anymore to retire? Or are there just certain people who are allowed a free pass indefinitely regardless of performance, age, health, etc?
Ruth Bader Ginsberg? :D

I have been reading Rivals.com for years while rarely posting messages on this board, but I have to respond to those people who are complaining about the forced retirement of Dick Groat.
They can not be serious about calling the Pitt administration heartless and classless for asking him to step down.
It would be heartless to allow Mr. Groat to continue doing something that he was obviously incapable of doing anymore.
In recent years, it had been extremely difficult to listen to him on the radio. At times, it was so bad, I felt embarrassed for the guy.
If I sounded like him on the air, I would have been fired immediately.
Just because Dick Groat is classy human being who had a legendary career as a two-sport athlete, does not entitle him to a high-profile job like this.
It was well past time for him to move on.
It was a shame that he did not realize this.
This is not Pitt's fault. I think Dick Groat should have stepped down quietly. Unfortunately he didn't.

Why? Because they fired an old dude with health problems who wasn’t capable of doing his job?

Seriously? Why?

You don't straight up fire the guy. There are ways to ease him out.

To recap-
You don’t listen to the radio broadcast but you’re giving your opinions on it.
I’ll help you dick and Billy are really bad at their jobs

There are very few college broadcast teams that are good at their jobs. That's the reason they are doing college games on the radio.

I have been reading Rivals.com for years while rarely posting messages on this board, but I have to respond to those people who are complaining about the forced retirement of Dick Groat.
They can not be serious about calling the Pitt administration heartless and classless for asking him to step down.
It would be heartless to allow Mr. Groat to continue doing something that he was obviously incapable of doing anymore.
In recent years, it had been extremely difficult to listen to him on the radio. At times, it was so bad, I felt embarrassed for the guy.
If I sounded like him on the air, I would have been fired immediately.
Just because Dick Groat is classy human being who had a legendary career as a two-sport athlete, does not entitle him to a high-profile job like this.
It was well past time for him to move on.
It was a shame that he did not realize this.
This is not Pitt's fault. I think Dick Groat should have stepped down quietly. Unfortunately he didn't.
Bingo. It's an unpopular opinion, but by hanging on so long, Dick put Pitt is a lose/lose situation. God Bless him, but as a radio announcer he stayed to the point he was horrid.
Lou Gehrig played more straight games and was the best first baseman then and now. But he knew he was hurting the team and he removed himself for the good of the team and to keep from embarrassment. ALS was undiagnosed, but he saw his performance and knew others could do it better.
Pitt has been more than gracious.

You don't straight up fire the guy. There are ways to ease him out.

There are very few college broadcast teams that are good at their jobs. That's the reason they are doing college games on the radio.
What are you smoking? Ohio State has a good crew..so too WVU. R U serious? Maybe Geneva is bad, but I listen to college games on Sirius all the time and most are very good. I listened to the NCSTATE crew call the last game against Pitt and I was stunned at how good they were.

What are you smoking? Ohio State has a good crew..so too WVU. R U serious? Maybe Geneva is bad, but I listen to college games on Sirius all the time and most are very good. I listened to the NCSTATE crew call the last game against Pitt and I was stunned at how good they were.

that nitter clown is literally the only one here with that opinion. He's also the only one with a Franklin & Stallings man crush so take it for what it is worth.

Go to the games and you won't have to listen to the radio. On the road games if you don't make the trip, listen to Sirius/XM or don't listen. I seldom listen to Hillgrove and Groat, unless it's after the game. The problem is that Pitt has no one in line to replace Hillgrove and Groat that is even close to being competent about Pitt sports, at least in hoops. I think that Pat Bostick is a good analyst for football, but that's it. On the basketball side, there's nothing. Pitt is going to have to look outside of the Pittsburgh area when Hillgrove goes to pasture.

FSU, ND, Vanderbilt, Iowa...UK is okay. Yeah, there are a handful of them that are okay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT