ADVERTISEMENT

Dino Tomlin

FieldHouse12

Freshman
Oct 11, 2012
Mike's kid get's an offer from Pitt.
Also has power 5 offer from Iowa State.
Obviously .

is he a good football player? i never heard about him making many plays, only time i heard about him was when he transferred after jason gildon got fired

i wonder if practicing in the same facility as his dad is an advantage or disadvantage

Does he have the same barber as the old man... something about a good look always helps a recruit.

I like it....hope he takes the offer and and is a good one.

Reactions: spoog44
Obviously a few Pittiots can’t accept that the son of the coach of the hated pro team in town could possibly be worthy of Playing for Pitt

Reactions: JoseLind13
Well, for one the kid won the "AA" 300m hurdles as a junior at the State Track and Field meet, while that does not make a DI player in and of itself it clearly shows:
1. The kid is an athlete with or without a famous old man because the clock does not care who your old man is.
2. It is the kind of things D-1 kids do.
3. The kid is a state caliber athlete in a speed event

Now add in the fact that he comes from a family where the old man has a love for the game and probably has taught that to succeed on the next level takes a huge commitment and work ethic, you just might have something, add all those ingredients and put a different name on the kid and you would still have an offer, provided the coaches get to see your ability to catch at camp, which they did.

It is hard to understand why one questions the offer.

Well, for one the kid won the "AA" 300m hurdles as a junior at the State Track and Field meet, while that does not make a DI player in and of itself it clearly shows:
1. The kid is an athlete with or without a famous old man because the clock does not care who your old man is.
2. It is the kind of things D-1 kids do.
3. The kid is a state caliber athlete in a speed event

Now add in the fact that he comes from a family where the old man has a love for the game and probably has taught that to succeed on the next level takes a huge commitment and work ethic, you just might have something, add all those ingredients and put a different name on the kid and you would still have an offer, provided the coaches get to see your ability to catch at camp, which they did.

I agree with everything except the 300 hurdles being a speed event. I've coached really good state level athletes who have dominated that event and they were barely 4.8-4.9 kids.

I've coached really good state level athletes who have dominated that event and they were barely 4.8-4.9 kids.

Fair enough but generally 400m and below are classified (and limited) by speed. Now some good 300mh and 400 kids are middle distance kids with speed , others are sprinters with strength. Tomlin ran 10.93s in the 100m at wpial championships,and 15.19s in 110mHH, he is the latter. I highly doubt he is much over 4.6 at 40 yards. Plus the kids is a junior and well may improve that 100m time.

Fair enough but generally 400m and below are classified (and limited) by speed. Now some good 300mh and 400 kids are middle distance kids with speed , others are sprinters with strength. Tomlin ran 10.93s in the 100m at wpial championships,and 15.19s in 110mHH, he is the latter. I highly doubt he is much over 4.6 at 40 yards. Plus the kids is a junior and well may improve that 100m time.

Tomlin is a cooker. I don't know why everyone is up in arms with him as a recruit. Is he the next Revis? I don't know about that. But, I do think a kid with his measurables and heart/iq will always have a chance to be a good player.

Reactions: Parkview57
This is an insane thread. Why argue with people who mostly know nothing and always say something?
True and there are a-holz here who automatically say anyone associated with the Steelers or Penn State suck, without actually judging them on their own actual merits.

The kid is not impressive at all on the football field! His technique is less than desirable. Especially for someone who’s a son of an NFL coach.

It's incredibly easy to understand why one questions the offer. 247 rates him as the 990th overall recruit in the class of 2019. He just barely made the cutoff for top 1000. Commensurate with such a poor evaluation, the rest of his offers are garbage. I'm not saying he can't succeed, but it's patently absurd to act like you don't understand where the critics are coming from. There will always be critics, and justifiably so, when a P5 school goes dumpster diving. They might find a diamond under a mound of banana peels, but it's not an effective strategy.

Reactions: pittdan77
The little bit I've seen of Tomlin on his highlight tape is fine. Maybe he's awful in other games? He might be a WR/S instead of CB - who knows. I do know he got invited to the Opening which is probably the most prestigious of the combines and he tore it up there.

Even if his offer is because of his dad, there certainly is a reason for doing it. In all of life these things happen. I would fight for opportunity for my kid. And I do.

It is interesting to see that Leslie Smith and Tomlin have very similar offers, which include Academies and Ivy League offers, two kids with intellectual talent.

He might be a 3 star in the rankings but like a commenters posted earlier, if he has heart, ill take him over a 5 star for the northeast any day. Cant teach intangibles.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
I remember the sentiments that Anthony Dorsett Junior was only looked at because of who his dad was. Junior ended up cashing a few NFL paychecks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT