ADVERTISEMENT

Yet Another OT Music Thread ... Best/Favorite Albums of the Millennium

My Kid gives me regular updates on the Kendrick / Drake beef, and told me that song broke every streaming record for a Rap song.
His concert in LA last week where he played in like 6 or 7 straight songs is ultimate hype move.

I really don't listen to full albums anymore. Don't buy or download. But listen to Satellite radio. Groups that I like that have come out the last 20 some years.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Courtney Barnett
Kurt Vile
the Decemberists
Cold War Kids
LCD Soundsystem

Some others just not coming to me at the moment
Yeah exactly. I’m probably an out of touch old guy now. Last album I remember buying and listening to from beginning to end was 24 years ago. All That You Can’t Leave Behind by U2. Which actually might be a good one for the list.

Ironic since U2 partnered with Apple to usher in this new era in music listening.

I agree. I thought Josh did a great job in the interim. The basement session they did with Josh and the percussionist (don't know his name) is phenomenal.
Yeah, I am a big Jane's fan and as much as I like Frusciente, was excited to see what Navarro was going to bring. Klinghoffer was certainly not bad, but Frusciente reallly became as much of what the Chili Peppers were as Flea. Seeing him back with the group all felt right with the world.

With Rage/Audioslave, I mean Chris Cornell is a rock god. But he never could capture the spirit and message that Zach de le Rocha did.

Maynard is Tool. Perfect Circle, but as much as the entire band is off the charts great, Maynard and his idiosyncrasies just make that band that it can't exist with another lead.

Yeah exactly. I’m probably an out of touch old guy now. Last album I remember buying and listening to from beginning to end was 24 years ago. All That You Can’t Leave Behind by U2. Which actually might be a good one for the list.

Ironic since U2 partnered with Apple to usher in this new era in music listening.
It's ironic since I have said from 1979 to say 2001, U2 was my all time favorite group and no one is close. I mean they were the one group that took "alternative" into the mainstream. Their live performances from then, no one was better. Then they got boring. Old. And the dumping of the album onto IPhones pissed more people off than it sold them on U2. Really a bad decision. But U2 feels like it is victim that most groups hit around 20-25 years when they were huge...................no one wants to hear their new music. They become a defacto cover band of their own music. Which is a decent topic for another thread don't want to overrun DT's here.

What your favourite band says about you
Green Day- You skateboard and you have a lot of stickers.
Tool- You play bass,or have a bass in your house,and you drink wine.
Avenged Sevenfold- You wear monster tank tops and aviator jackets.
Metallica- You play guitar but you're not very good at it.
Megadeth- You play guitar and you're very good at it.
Kiss- You're a parent.
Radiohead-You have depression.
Puddle of Mudd- You don't exist
Nirvana- You love Kurt Cobain and hate Courtney Love.
Hole- Get out of this group right now.
Linkin Park- Who hurt you? Are you okay? I want to give you a hug right now. I'm sorry for your loss.
Joy Division- Again I ask, Who hurt you?
Soundgarden- Again,I'm sorry for your loss.
Audioslave- Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss
Queens of the Stone Age- You have a drug problem.
My Chemical Romance- You love the G note.
Katy Perry-You don't know what notes are.
Blink-182- You need to grow up
Oasis- You dislike 50% of your own fanbase because their not Team Liam or Team Noel,whichever one your on.
Frank Zappa-You have a weird sense of humor but a good taste in music.
Bloodhound Gang- You have a bad sense of humor and a really bad taste in music.
Limp Bizkit- You lost your aux cord priveliges a long time ago.
Fall Out Boy-You miss the times when they were an emo band.
Panic At The Disco-You miss the times when they were a band.
Marilyn Manson -You have a few screws loose in your head.
Korn - You have a lot of screws loose in your head.
The White Stripes- You think bass is an overrated instrument.
Royal Blood - You think guitar is an overrated instrument.
Muse- You love conspiracy theories and aliens.
Pearl Jam- You don't know what he's saying at all, do you?
Sublime- You love smoking a joint.
Weezer- You're a virgin.
Maroon 5-Name another member besides Adam Levine. Go on. I'll wait
Motley Crue- Please take a shower.
The Strokes- No one likes you. And that's okay,because you're better than them.

Kiss- You're a parent.
Linkin Park- Who hurt you? Are you okay? I want to give you a hug right now. I'm sorry for your loss.
Oasis- You dislike 50% of your own fanbase because their not Team Liam or Team Noel,whichever one your on.
Weezer- You're a virgin.
No skateboarders listen to Green Day since Kerplunk. Pennywise is skate music

Katy Perry has a helluva voice , not my cup of tea musically -but it’s silly to dismiss her talent

Alright. Been thinking about this all weekend. I can't bring myself to put them in order right now

Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Kanye West, College Dropout
Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly
Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP
Dave Matthews Band, Busted Stuff
Gary Clark Jr, This Land
Theo Katzman, Heartbreak Hits
Chick Corea Elektric Band, To The Stars
Hiromi Uehara, Time Control
Hiromi Uehara, Spark
Tool, Lateralus
Coheed and Cambria, in Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Snarky Puppy, We Like It Here
Snarky Puppy, Empire Central
My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges
Dangermuffin, Heritage
POLYPLUS, Good Luck Sound Tracks
Phish, Farmhouse
Dream Theater, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Cake, Comfort Eagle
Tenacious D, Tenacious D
System of a Down, Toxicity
Jay-Z & Kanye West, Watch the Throne
Tool, 10,000 Days
Gary Clark Jr, JPEG Raw

Reactions: OH Pete
Here are a few bands/artists I've had on rotation in recent months that I never really appreciated during the heights of their careers -

1. REM
2. Depeche Mode
3. Bowie

It's tougher for some of us old farts to keep up with music. Fortunately, along with Sirius and the Internet, I've got an almost 19 year old kid with musical knowledge and taste that never ceases to amaze me. They are always introducing me to new things while I fill them in on some old things. Through it all, I managed to keep up OK I guess. We also get into plenty of debates about the best albums which was the inspiration for this thread.

Since this millennium is almost 25 years old, I thought it would be fun to put together a top 25 in that time frame. The list I've put below is somewhere between my favorite 25 albums (beginning to end) along with a touch of consideration of which have proven to be most acclaimed.

I hope others will join in with their own lists of 25, 20 or even just a few, using whatever top album criteria you wish. It certainly allows us to share with other some ideas of good new things to listen to. A little later, I'll post my kid's lists. They are offering two lists -- an overall list and another of one of just hip hop since they suggested that my list does not include enough (and I confess that generally I don't love hip hop a great deal personally).

And I also encourage fellow posters to offer their own lists if for no other reason other than to offer titles esoteric or obscure enough to irritate @ChiefJusticeMarshall .

First, some of those I considered, but didn't make the cut:
xx – The XX, Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple, Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend, For Emma, Forever Ago – Bon Iver, Speakerbox / The Love Below – Outkast, Melodrama – Lorde, Teen Dream – Beach House, Future Nostalgia -- Dua Lipa, Teens of Denial – Car Seat Headrest, 808’s & Heartbreak – Kayne West, m b v – My Bloody Valentine, Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit – Courtney Barnett, Blue Rev – Alvvays. Run the Jewels 2 -- Run the Jewels, and Collapse Into Now – R.E.M. because every list I make has to include R.E.M.

From there ...

25. Demon Days – Gorillaz
24. The Glow Pt. 2 – The Microphones
23. The Money Store – Death Grips
22. E•MO•TION – Carly Rae Jepsen
21. Turn on the Bright Lights – Interpol
20. Vulnicura – Bjork
19. Punisher – Phoebe Bridgers
18. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea – PJ Harvey
17. Hail to the Thief – Radiohead
16. Random Access Memory – Daft Punk
15. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot – Wilco
14. Illinoise - Sufian Stevens
13. Art Angels - Grimes
12. Elephant – The White Stripes
11. High Violet – The National
10. Norman ****ing Rockwell – Lana Del Rey
9. Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves
8. Is This It? - The Strokes
7. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Phoenix
6. Oh, Inverted World – The Shins
5. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
4. Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective
3. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – Kanye West
2. Kid A – Radiohead
1. To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
It's crazy how much our tastes overlap. You're definitely close to the person I am most aligned with musically that I have never met. I've had 4 favorite bands and 3 of them are on here: Radiohead, Wilco, and the National. I met the National on the street in Richmond in 2013 and it was a highlight of my life. I've seen them at least 3 times, Wilco twice (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born).

It's hard to explain how cool the Strokes were 2001-2003. Literally the coolest band on the planet.

I'm probably take out Carly Rae, Bjork (she was always a bit too weird for me even though I like avant garde quite a bit), and Grimes.

I don't think that you can have a best of 2000s list without Arcade Fire. And maybe Sam's Town by the Killers.

I'd also add some of my personal taste and advocate for Boys and Girls in America - the Hold Steady; and also '59 Sound by the Gaslight Anthem. Two of the best bands to ever capture the highs and lows of love and life into 40 minutes of alt/pop-rock.

Maybe swap Random Access Memories with Discovery? Both great choices.

Crazy how incredible peak Kanye was because you could legitimately put 3-4 of his albums on there. He was always a loon but it's a shame he leaned into "I am so much smarter than everyone else I can figure out a way to successfully articulate anti-Semitism." Really tough also to leave out Jay-Z who could be on here twice.

Honorable mention: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - the Flaming Lips; Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell; Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun; Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago; probably a few from Coldplay (Viva la Vida?); Ryan Adams (even tho he's a scumbag) - Gold.

But yeah, great list.

Kiss- You're a parent.
Weezer- You're a virgin.
Ok. Who here LOVES Weezer?

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Kiss- You're a parent.
Weezer- You're a virgin.
Childhood buddy of mine is the drummer for Tool. Or maybe it’s Korn. I can’t imagine how anyone can listen to that stuff let alone sit in a studio and play that stuff every day.

Blue Album is awesome.
Childhood buddy of mine is the drummer for Tool. Or maybe it’s Korn. I can’t imagine how anyone can listen to that stuff let alone sit in a studio and play that stuff every day.
That's a really big difference. One is an all time great whose band makes awesome music. The other is super replaceable and plays for a band that makes forgettable music, lol.

It's crazy how much our tastes overlap. You're definitely close to the person I am most aligned with musically that I have never met. I've had 4 favorite bands and 3 of them are on here: Radiohead, Wilco, and the National. I met the National on the street in Richmond in 2013 and it was a highlight of my life. I've seen them at least 3 times, Wilco twice (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born).

It's hard to explain how cool the Strokes were 2001-2003. Literally the coolest band on the planet.

I'm probably take out Carly Rae, Bjork (she was always a bit too weird for me even though I like avant garde quite a bit), and Grimes.

I don't think that you can have a best of 2000s list without Arcade Fire. And maybe Sam's Town by the Killers.

I'd also add some of my personal taste and advocate for Boys and Girls in America - the Hold Steady; and also '59 Sound by the Gaslight Anthem. Two of the best bands to ever capture the highs and lows of love and life into 40 minutes of alt/pop-rock.

Maybe swap Random Access Memories with Discovery? Both great choices.

Crazy how incredible peak Kanye was because you could legitimately put 3-4 of his albums on there. He was always a loon but it's a shame he leaned into "I am so much smarter than everyone else I can figure out a way to successfully articulate anti-Semitism." Really tough also to leave out Jay-Z who could be on here twice.

Honorable mention: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - the Flaming Lips; Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell; Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun; Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago; probably a few from Coldplay (Viva la Vida?); Ryan Adams (even tho he's a scumbag) - Gold.

But yeah, great list.
All good ideas. I'll recognize that Arcade Fire should OBJECTIVELY be on this list. They just aren't my personal favorite -- I like but don't love them (although Ready to Start is one of my very favorite songs).

Same with the Blueprint.

I think most would swap Random Access Memories with Discovery. But I simply do not like Discovery as much as others (it's fine).

I should have a Rush of Blood too, at least on me honorable mention.

There are only like 2 weezer songs I can stand (“say it ain’t so” and “buddy holly “)

I put them , Alice In Chains , and Soundgarden in the same bucket since Lithium on Sirius made me dislike them by way over playing them .

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Blue Album is awesome.

That's a really big difference. One is an all time great whose band makes awesome music. The other is super replaceable and plays for a band that makes forgettable music, lol.
Different taste .
I can like both - but truthfully I liked earlier tool more , the Opiate EP is something I can still listen to dozens of times without getting sick of .

Same way the first 3 Korn albums totally rock - and their live show at Woodstock 99 was killer .

There are only like 2 weezer songs I can stand (“say it ain’t so” and “buddy holly “)

I put them , Alice In Chains , and Soundgarden in the same bucket since Lithium on Sirius made me dislike them by way over playing them .
Omg. Something you and I agree on! That’s exactly why I have removed everything grunge from my existence…oversaturation!! I wasn’t crazy about it even in the 90’s though but I did at least listen and buy the records.

That’s why I don’t listen to Lithium much. When I am in the mood for the 90’s alternative genre, I go to pandora and listen to “90’s alternative radio”. If you do that and hit thumbs down every time a Seattle band comes on, within a day the channel will be customized into a very enjoyable listening experience.

Wow a couple people hating on soundgarden. I am leaving this place before I say something i will regret forever...😅

Omg. Something you and I agree on! That’s exactly why I have removed everything grunge from my existence…oversaturation!! I wasn’t crazy about it even in the 90’s though but I did at least listen and buy the records.

That’s why I don’t listen to Lithium much. When I am in the mood for the 90’s alternative genre, I go to pandora and listen to “90’s alternative radio”. If you do that and hit thumbs down every time a Seattle band comes on, within a day the channel will be customized into a very enjoyable listening experience.

The 90s had a multitude of really strong sub-genres going for it. Of course, I consider "the 90s" to have ended around 1997 or so.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Wow a couple people hating on soundgarden. I am leaving this place before I say something i will regret forever...😅

They're one of those 90s/grunge bands who had a few songs I liked but never felt passionate enough to really delve into.

Stone Temple Pilots and Alice in Chains were my main two 90s bands. It's embarrassing to admit now, but I thought Bush had some really solid output with their first two albums. Nirvana... eh, I had some albums but wasn't all-consumed.

Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins... all part of the list of heavyweight bands of that era that I just didn't care for or was indifferent toward.

The 90s had a multitude of really strong sub-genres going for it. Of course, I consider "the 90s" to have ended around 1997 or so.
Don’t recall if you’re local, but There’s a local Pittsburgh band called the Clintones that does all the covers from that era. Occasionally I’ll try to find where they are playing locally and will try to get out and see them.

Luzier is the drummer for Korn. He joined Korn late around 2009-10. He replaced Silveria.

I can't listen to Korn beyond a song or 2 every few months lol.

Tool on the other hand is more like prog-symphony.

Danny Carey is the drummer for Tool. He's amazing. He also looks like the ultimate dad who works in Lowe's. He's 6'5"

danny-carey-celebrities-arrive-at-the-staples-centre-to-watch-the-DHN6T5.jpg

I've always thought Tool was grossly overrated in the same way that Loveless album from My Bloody Valentine is overrated. No matter how many times people tell me something is great, I am hearing it with my own two ears and completely disagreeing.

Not that Tool doesn't have anything I like. They definitely do. I think I started to really hate them when Schism was played on the radio every five minutes for about a year. I just don't get the infatuation with that song.

I went through a Korn phase, for sure. The lyrics are downright embarrassing, and I don't know if they have ever written a song that doesn't rhyme "pain" and "insane." But I thought (at the time) that their sound was unique and their songs were a lot catchier than Tool's.

Korn, White/Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Limp Bizkit, Static X, Deftones, Slipknot, etc.... yep, definitely went through that stage for a hot minute. I'll still listen to it every now and then, only because my tolerance to it has been grandfathered in.

I liked the Blue Album when it came out. Other then that, it's blah to me.
I like some songs from Soundgarden but I don't really care for their albums as a whole. I absolutely despise Black Hole Sun. I have no idea why it received the acclaim it did. I like "Outshined" "Rusty Cage" "Fell on Black Days".

Different taste .
I can like both - but truthfully I liked earlier tool more , the Opiate EP is something I can still listen to dozens of times without getting sick of .

Same way the first 3 Korn albums totally rock - and their live show at Woodstock 99 was killer .
I feel like @ChiefJusticeMarshall made a post about this once (the dropoff for bands after album 3), but it's shocking how many bands and artists I thought about for this list where I felt their early stuff was SO much better than their latter stuff.

Early Tool is awesome. I think a little more traditional in their approach. Lateralus is their peak. A good blend of rock and weird sh#t. I like 10,000 Days too, but Fear Innoculum was terrible. They got too weird, IMO.

I feel like @ChiefJusticeMarshall made a post about this once (the dropoff for bands after album 3), but it's shocking how many bands and artists I thought about for this list where I felt their early stuff was SO much better than their latter stuff.

Early Tool is awesome. I think a little more traditional in their approach. Lateralus is their peak. A good blend of rock and weird sh#t. I like 10,000 Days too, but Fear Innoculum was terrible. They got too weird, IMO.

A lot of albums definitely lose the edge. I don't know if it's always exactly three albums, but it's certainly legit.

The Offspring was one of the bands I dug at the time. They had a self-titled album that was more underground punk-esque. Then an album called Ignition that was a little of the same but also a little more commercially appealing. Then they found the perfect balance with Smash. Then they started back down the other side of the mountain and drifted into the "way too mainstream" valley by the time they got to Americana.

I mean that's one example of many - just the first one I thought of.

A lot of bands seem to run out of melodies/ideas after the first few albums. Like they just start making generic "music du jour" rather than writing the type of songs that were quintessential to them. Or maybe they have to branch out because they've emptied the well on the type of music they were making, and they're just not good at graduating to that next level.

Reactions: Ski11585
I've always thought Tool was grossly overrated in the same way that Loveless album from My Bloody Valentine is overrated. No matter how many times people tell me something is great, I am hearing it with my own two ears and completely disagreeing.

Not that Tool doesn't have anything I like. They definitely do. I think I started to really hate them when Schism was played on the radio every five minutes for about a year. I just don't get the infatuation with that song.

I went through a Korn phase, for sure. The lyrics are downright embarrassing, and I don't know if they have ever written a song that doesn't rhyme "pain" and "insane." But I thought (at the time) that their sound was unique and their songs were a lot catchier than Tool's.

Korn, White/Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Limp Bizkit, Static X, Deftones, Slipknot, etc.... yep, definitely went through that stage for a hot minute. I'll still listen to it every now and then, only because my tolerance to it has been grandfathered in.
See though.....I don't want to be that guy. And so many music fans fall victim to this. When they like someone and then they get popular, they feel what was once "theirs" is now shared with the public and they move on. You either like their music or you don't.

And again, I have expressed this many of times, after 20-25 years, I feel most bands become defacto cover bands of themselves. In their live shows, people want to hear their hits from the past or they will be disappointed. How many Pearl Jam fans are going to show to hear the new stuff from Dark Matters vs Alive, Jeremy, etc...

Blue Album is awesome.

I liked the Blue Album when it came out. Other then that, it's blah to me.

I like some songs from Soundgarden but I don't really care for their albums as a whole. I absolutely despise Black Hole Sun. I have no idea why it received the acclaim it did. I like "Outshined" "Rusty Cage" "Fell on Black Days".
So you guys are like almost virgins or something? Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: steelcurtain55.
See though.....I don't want to be that guy. And so many music fans fall victim to this. When they like someone and then they get popular, they feel what was once "theirs" is now shared with the public and they move on. You either like their music or you don't.

And again, I have expressed this many of times, after 20-25 years, I feel most bands become defacto cover bands of themselves. In their live shows, people want to hear their hits from the past or they will be disappointed. How many Pearl Jam fans are going to show to hear the new stuff from Dark Matters vs Alive, Jeremy, etc...

I think there are the "cult" bands who have avoided becoming greatest hits acts. DMB is one of them. Pearl Jam. Springsteen. Phish. As far as I understand, those bands often play deeper cuts, could play very different setlists from night to night, play new music, etc. They all have a large contingent of hardcore fans who know the entire catalog (not saying they don't have any casual fans who want to hear the hits, also).

Most bands that are around that long - yes, they are just greatest hits acts who ended up karaokeing themselves. Have the Rolling Stones released any good music in the past 30 years? Yet they're still touring regularly.

Best Debut Rock Albums?

Me:

1. "Appetite for Destruction" - GNR
2. "Ten" - Pearl Jam
3. "Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd" - Lynard Skynard

Those 3 are iconic imo.

I mean- I don’t get tired of Nirvana or some others of that era (Pearl Jam , soul asylum , etc )
Just those 3 - was never much of a fan .
I like Chris Cornell’s acoustic stuff , though .

I liked Nirvana when they were still a band but I've grown to really like them as I got older. I listen to Bleach and Insecticide often.

Reactions: magadog
Best Debut Rock Albums?

Me:

1. "Appetite for Destruction" - GNR
2. "Ten" - Pearl Jam
3. "Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd" - Lynard Skynard

Those 3 are iconic imo.
Nine Inch Nails “pretty hate machine “
dMB “under the table and dreaming “
Smashing pumpkins “gish”
I’d add as well .

ADVERTISEMENT