ADVERTISEMENT

Disney-owned channels (ie ESPN) may get pulled from YTTV Friday

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Might have to go back to Comcast. I'd really hate to though. YouTube TV is the better product regardless of price. If they don't reach an agreement by Friday, its bye bye ESPN but they will decrease the price by $15/month.

Got to hand it to ESPN, they aren't messing around with this carriage agreement. If you want one channel, you have to take them all.

Omg if you go back to comcast you better change your screen name and go into hiding lol

Might have to go back to Comcast. I'd really hate to though. YouTube TV is the better product regardless of price. If they don't reach an agreement by Friday, its bye bye ESPN but they will decrease the price by $15/month.

Got to hand it to ESPN, they aren't messing around with this carriage agreement. If you want one channel, you have to take them all.
‘Got to hand it to ESPN’……what are they doing so special other than following the same ole cable tv practice…..bundle a bunch of channels together, many the customer may not want, just to be able to charge more for the few channels they do want.

Look on the bright side. At least this isn’t happening until after FB season is over. Everyone says they don’t care to watch Pitt MBB any longer anyway.

Also, what big difference do you see between YoutubeTV and comcast/cable? I’ve had YouTube TV for a while now. Not much difference. Biggest benefit for me is just it’s mobility. Have it in Ohio and then it goes with us to FL when we head to our place down there for winter. Easily switch your location and you have the local channels in that area.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
‘Got to hand it to ESPN’……what are they doing so special other than following the same ole cable tv practice…..bundle a bunch of channels together, many the customer may not want, just to be able to charge more for the few channels they do want.

Look on the bright side. At least this isn’t happening until after FB season is over. Everyone says they don’t care to watch Pitt MBB any longer anyway.

Also, what big difference do you see between YoutubeTV and comcast/cable? I’ve had YouTube TV for a while now. Not much difference. Biggest benefit for me is just it’s mobility. Have it in Ohio and then it goes with us to FL when we head to our place down there for winter. Easily switch your location and you have the local channels in that area.

The unlimited DVR is a huge benefit. I probably have 50,000 games from many different sports leagues plus your regular movie and tv show content. I don't watch hardly any of those games but if I want to, its nice to know I can.

Other than that, you're right, there isnt much difference. YTTV is a little cheaper and you can custom make your channel lineup. I'd be surprised if they didn't reach an agreement by Friday. This is probably just YTTV's way of blaming Disney when they have to increase their price $5-$10/month.

Reactions: Pittnerski
The unlimited DVR is a huge benefit. I probably have 50,000 games from many different sports leagues plus your regular movie and tv show content. I don't watch hardly any of those games but if I want to, its nice to know I can.

Other than that, you're right, there isnt much difference. YTTV is a little cheaper and you can custom make your channel lineup. I'd be surprised if they didn't reach an agreement by Friday. This is probably just YTTV's way of blaming Disney when they have to increase their price $5-$10/month.
You beat me to it. I was going to edit my reply to note that recording options are way better with YouTube TV. So easy, I just say Pitt MBB, Pitt FB, Pens, Steelers, PGA Golf, etc and it automatically records any of their broadcast events on any channel. Don’t have to specifically set recording of each individual event. And smart enough to know if the event is running over its allotted time!

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
You beat me to it. I was going to edit my reply to note that recording options are way better with YouTube TV. So easy, I just say Pitt MBB, Pitt FB, Pens, Steelers, PGA Golf, etc and it automatically records any of their broadcast events on any channel. Don’t have to specifically set recording of each individual event. And smart enough to know if the event is running over its allotted time!

I think Comcast allows you to record all games of a team automatically but it takes up a ton of space on your DVR. But what I do is just set an entire league to record.

FuboTV is great. It has NBATV, NHLnet, MLB &NFL. Also, ACCN, BIG TEN, PAC12 and SEC nets. All ESPN's and Fox Sports. Only thing they don't currently have are the Turner Networks.

Seems silly for anyone to go back to cable, when there are so many other streaming options.

I may give FUBO a try if YTTV doesn't work it out.

On the bright side, I'm glad this is happening at the end of college football season. Probably wouldn't miss ESPN as much.

Interesting as we have Hulu and are getting a $5 per month increase to $69.99 but now it will include Disney + and ESPN+. These were a package for $14.99 before. Thinking not many people get the package so the figured out a way to get some money out of it.

I stayed with Comcast throughout, and didn't miss a single Pitt game that I wanted to watch.

How? Streams of uncertain legality. Now, as of 12/23, I will no longer have a moral dilemma.

I stayed with Comcast throughout, and didn't miss a single Pitt game that I wanted to watch.

How? Streams of uncertain legality. Now, as of 12/23, I will no longer have a moral dilemma.

Comcast thanks you for your loyalty. You must be an enormous Pirates/Pens fan because there was no other reason to keep Comcast when they didn't have ACCN

Comcast thanks you for your loyalty. You must be an enormous Pirates/Pens fan because there was no other reason to keep Comcast when they didn't have ACCN
I am an enormous Pens fan.

I also love the high speed internet package I have with comcast bundle.

That high speed internet allowed me to watch the ACCN on the SOUL (streams of uncertain legality).

Reactions: USN_Panther
I got that email from YTTV yesterday as well. They also said on their site that we could get the Disney bundle separately for $13.99 and save a buck after they reduce their price by $15 without ESPN, etc. does anyone have experience with the Disney bundle. I usually just watch the ESPN channels including ACC, etc.

I got that email from YTTV yesterday as well. They also said on their site that we could get the Disney bundle separately for $13.99 and save a buck after they reduce their price by $15 without ESPN, etc. does anyone have experience with the Disney bundle. I usually just watch the ESPN channels including ACC, etc.

That's misleading because ESPN+ only broadcasts the events that aren't on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACCN, etc. Inotherwords, its for the less popular events and the niche sports.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
That is not true. Check the TV listing for ESPN+.

Out of Market NHL games make it worth the subscription on its own. Over 1,000 NHL games.

Last edited:
That is not true. Check the TV listing for ESPN+.

Out of Market NHL games make it worth the subscription on its own. Over 1,000 NHL games.

Again, niche sports that are not televised on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACCN.

I would agree that if you are a huge NHL fan, La Liga Fan, English 2nd Division fan, Cricket fan, or mid-major NCAA sports fan, ESPN+ is great. But you cant get the mainstream stuff on the ESPN networks.

Don't forget BIG12, AAC games. MLS games, An MLB Game every day. I would rather not watch the main ESPN channels that show mostly SEC sports.

Don't forget BIG12, AAC games. MLS games, An MLB Game every day. I would rather not watch the main ESPN channels that show mostly SEC sports.

Again, niche sports. We are talking about Big 12 and American Athletic games which aren't good enough for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.

Listen, if you dont need access to the following, ESPN+ is good for you

MNF
ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Pac 12, the better Big 12 games
NBA including playoffs and finals
NHL Playoffs including SC Finals
MLS Playoffs and 1-2 games per week
Bowl games
etc

All the mainstream stuff is still not available on ESPN+

Comcast is raising their prices on pretty much everything on Monday including $3.00 on regional sports fee.

I wonder if ESPN will still allow us to use the ESPN app with our YTTV login credentials as a gesture in the mean while.

ESPN channels are on Sling and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than YTTV. Not nearly as many other channels but I only have it for ESPN.

Sling doesn't carry the local channels which is a huge problem during football season.

I drop YTTV every February after the Super Bowl and don't pick it up until August anyway but they really have to stop with the surprises.

The disney bundle is great....it gives you ESPN, Disney, and Hulu. I am not a fan of the House of the mouse but Disney program offers some great content. Hulu is just very convenient and the ESPN on the Disney bundle is WAY, WAY, more than what you would get with a normal ESPN cable package.

Again, niche sports. We are talking about Big 12 and American Athletic games which aren't good enough for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.

Listen, if you dont need access to the following, ESPN+ is good for you

MNF
ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Pac 12, the better Big 12 games
NBA including playoffs and finals
NHL Playoffs including SC Finals
MLS Playoffs and 1-2 games per week
Bowl games
etc

All the mainstream stuff is still not available on ESPN+
I never said regular ESPN was not necessary. You said ESPN+ has nothing worth watching and I clearly showed you that is does.

The disney bundle is great....it gives you ESPN, Disney, and Hulu. I am not a fan of the House of the mouse but Disney program offers some great content. Hulu is just very convenient and the ESPN on the Disney bundle is WAY, WAY, more than what you would get with a normal ESPN cable package.

It gives you ESPN+, not ESPN. Massive difference.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I never said regular ESPN was not necessary. You said ESPN+ has nothing worth watching and I clearly showed you that is does.

OK, so I take it you do not watch ACC sports (including most every Pitt game), NHL Playoffs, NBA, Monday Night Football + 1 NFL Playoff game, MLB Playoffs, and the best college games from the other leagues?

You cant watch Pitt with ESPN+ only so I'm not sure how you think its so great. Out of market hockey, sure, but how many Calgary vs Arizona games do you need?

I have All ESPN channels and ESPN+, I watch all the sports you mention. I do not live in Pittsburgh any longer, ESPN+ has all the Pens games. That makes ESPN+ priceless to me. I also can watch RMU games that are mostly on ESPN+. Those are not on regular ESPN. A Lot of Duquesne games are also on ESPN+. If you want to see all Pittsburgh sports ESPN+ is a must.

Reactions: jivecat
I have All ESPN channels and ESPN+, I watch all the sports you mention. I do not live in Pittsburgh any longer, ESPN+ has all the Pens games. That makes ESPN+ priceless to me. I also can watch RMU games that are mostly on ESPN+. Those are not on regular ESPN. A Lot of Duquesne games are also on ESPN+. If you want to see all Pittsburgh sports ESPN+ is a must.

Well, sure if you already are paying for the ESPN channels through cable/satellite/streaming provider, then ESPN+ is a nice addition. I'm trying to point out that a sports fan cannot JUST have ESPN+ without the mainstream ESPN content because all the "good stuff" isnt on ESPN+

Depends on what someone defines as the "good stuff". It is not the same for everybody.

The mainstream stuff on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACCN, SECN. There isnt a true sports fan alive who would be satisfied with the niche stuff on ESPN+ and can do without the mainstream stuff.

Sling doesn't carry the local channels which is a huge problem during football season.

I drop YTTV every February after the Super Bowl and don't pick it up until August anyway but they really have to stop with the surprises.

I have an HD antenna for that. Granted that isn't an option if you live far out somewhere.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT