ADVERTISEMENT

Dixon to Florida??

It looks like Donovan is probably going to be HC of the Thunder next year. Time will tell if there is any real interest in Jamie. If Dixon could land the UF gig, it would probably be in his best interest to take it. (speaking of his coaching career only, love for city & fam considerations aside) With a new AD & the program still stuck in the middle of the ACC pecking order...it doesn't take a genius to conclude he may not be very secure at Pitt. The phat contract didn't do a lot to save Pederson's arse & I don't see why Jamie would be any different.

Dixon's contract is MUCH more phat than Smiley's was. If he leaves on his own that's one thing. But firing him in the near future would probably dwarf want Smiley got.

Reactions: TD_6082
Dixon's contract is MUCH more phat than Smiley's was. If he leaves on his own that's one thing. But firing him in the near future would probably dwarf want Smiley got.

True. But a new AD & a struggling coach are a bad combination. Most ADs like to have their own guys. Pitt just hired a football coach that was handpicked by a new prez. Despite the contract, I don't feel like Jamie Dixon is very secure at Pitt unless he turns this thing around quick

True. But a new AD & a struggling coach are a bad combination. Most ADs like to have their own guys. Pitt just hired a football coach that was handpicked by a new prez. Despite the contract, I don't feel like Jamie Dixon is very secure at Pitt unless he turns this thing around quick
Dixon has nothing approaching a warm seat at the moment.

I know there are many who would jump for joy if Dixon left, but I hope everyone appreciates how late in the game it is and how screwed Pitt would be if Dixon ended up in Florida.

I know there are many who would jump for joy if Dixon left, but I hope everyone appreciates how late in the game it is and how screwed Pitt would be if Dixon ended up in Florida.

Really? What Elite recruits will we lose? We are looking at another NIT/CBI in 2015/2016 and beyond. Kids want no part of this program right now. The DIXON brand is suffering, the ACC is a recruiting power right now and we are being left behind in the dust. Look at the amount of Top 100 recruits signed in 15' in the ACC!!!!!

Pitt would be totally screwed. Its not so far removed right now though that he may listen to a phone call .
New league, new chancellor, new AD.

Oh man, I can't wait to go grab a mid-major coach, put him in a challenging situation, and not miss a beat. Onwards and upwards with the new Andy Enfield (but with no recruiting base to speak of)!

Fingers crossed Dixon leaves! The last coach from Dayton is tearing it up down at Georgia Tech. Jeff Capel was a phenomenal success in his last stops, too.

Couldn't care less how our classes look, just win on the court. Those 2009 through 2012 classes looked phenomenal on paper and were horrendous on the court. The 2010 and 2011 classes, in particular, set this program back years.

I'm also intelligent enough to know that using a small sample such as March is a really terrible way to make evaluations.

I'm more concerned about W/L record overall (and even then, it can only be painted as poor when using a 4-year period), as Ed Feng has written that , statistically, the best way to have March success is to have a really good regular season team as frequently as possible. But, that's sort of a common sense thing I suppose.

Hard to say. If Nordy & Pederson were still in charge, I'd say you are absolutely right. Its hard to say exactly how much rope he has going forward with the new leadership in charge.
Not hard to say at all.

You recognize you are making this statement in a thread rumoring Florida would be interested in him, right .

Hard to say. If Nordy & Pederson were still in charge, I'd say you are absolutely right. Its hard to say exactly how much rope he has going forward with the new leadership in charge.

Actually, I don't think it's that hard to say. Dixon's past success plus his buyout mean his seat is not the least bit warm at the moment. Two more seasons worse than this past one, however, and things will get interesting.

Actually, I don't think it's that hard to say. Dixon's past success plus his buyout mean his seat is not the least bit warm at the moment. Two more seasons worse than this past one, however, and things will get interesting.
I think the benchmark will be whether we make the NCAA Tournament or not ...... two more years without an NCAA Tournament bid and Jamie may be on a short leash ...... recruiting is essential at this point.

According to the Lair Elders, wins in November and December are all that count.... Ohh, and the Summer League Too!!!!

Dear Mr. Critic:

I'd like to offer you the challenge of citing one instance that any Lair poster, elder or otherwise, said this or anything remotely close to this.

Otherwise, I'd like to offer the suggestion that if you choose to limit yourself to snarky, low value quips on this forum, please do your best to include some semblance of accuracy.

Thank you.

Let's add better roads, state universities that aren't the most expensive in the country, brighter future and alcohol rules that have been improved since 1920...to name a few.
God knows we should definitely count "alcohol rules" toward a great way of life! (Sarcasm for you alcoholics) Dixon isn't going anywhere count on it!

Reactions: Pitt Magician
God knows we should definitely count "alcohol rules" toward a great way of life! (Sarcasm for you alcoholics) Dixon isn't going anywhere count on it!
I speak only for myself....don't presume to speak for the Almighty....but I love the story of how his son turned water into wine.....thankfully, that wedding was not held in PA>

Reactions: Big Marty1
There's a whole lot more to Michigan than Detroit or the UP. Glen Arbor/Sleeping Bear Dunes was voted the most beautiful place in America on Good Morning America. Saugatuck, where my family spends considerable time every summer, has won all kinds of national travel awards including best coastal small town in America by USA Today. Traverse City and the Leelanau Peninsula are beautiful, the food and wine scene is nationally renowned. Mario Batali and a lot of wealthy New Yorkers are buying vacation properties there. Mackinac Island is Beautiful and is one of the top tourist destinations in the country. Charelvoix and Petoskey are gorgeous. The golf is world class and we have more miles of coastline than any state but Alaska. I'd put that entire Lake Michigan coast from the Indiana line all,the way to Mackinac Island up against anything I've seen in this country outside of the Pacific Northwest and maybe Maine and Cape Cod/ Nantucket, and parts of the mid-Atlantic coastal regions as far as natural beauty goes.

Different strokes for different folks for sure, but I'd only trade living here for a few other states, very few of which are east of California, Oregon or Washington (other than Colorado).

Really? The producers of American Pie's American Reunion chose the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay, CA to depict the location for the wedding weekend that was set on the Michigan coast. If the Michigan coast line is so beautiful, why sub in Half Moon Bay and pretend it's Michigan?

I am just messing with you. That area in Michigan is certainly on my bucket list. I would have to say that Northern California is used in that movie for a reason, and that's because it's gorgeous, as is most of the California coast. As a matter of fact, to me the southern coast between Orange County and San Diego is the best thing going--by far.

Cannot see the new chancellor and AD stepping and removing the most successful coach in school history because some (not all) alumni and fans are not happy with this recent track record. If they are trying to build the entire program and perception correctly - blowing up the other revenue/public relation sport by firing the coach at this point makes little sense.

Cannot see the new chancellor and AD stepping and removing the most successful coach in school history because some (not all) alumni and fans are not happy with this recent track record. If they are trying to build the entire program and perception correctly - blowing up the other revenue/public relation sport by firing the coach at this point makes little sense.

Precisely.

Precisely.

And I'm guessing the difference between replacing him with quality if he left on his own vs if he was fired (at least right now) might not be as easy. Any coach with his body of work that gets fired without a real chance to get back on track probay wouldn't be looked upon too favorably in the coaching community. Sure someone would take the job but the type of candidates we'd all hope for might think long and hard about it. I'd bet some would pass if he was fired.

It would be nothing short of catastrophic if JD left for FL, especially at this delicate time for the program. He has had some recruiting struggles for sure the past couple of years, and I have been as critical as most of that, but he can coach, and he can get it back on track. That said, if he's gonna prove me right, he'd better get crackalackin'.

I do believe, as I predicted (and received the usual backlash for my trouble) before we ever began ACC play, that the move to the ACC has hurt the hoops program, at least short term. We had a nice niche in the BE, but of course Pitt had to get out of that league for myriad reasons. I do wish we could have landed in the B10, I have always felt strongly that that is a better fit.

Better & deeper in football? I wouldn't say that about basketball. I think the ACC is clearly tops in basketball.

Losing Jamie short term would hurt. But if he could possibly land the Florida gig, I think it could revitalize his career. As things stand right now, I would say the chances of Dixon remaining as HC at Pitt two years from now are less than 50/50. Two more years like any of the last 4 and there is no way he keeps his job.

Pitt's fans and donations do suck. They were last in the old Big East in donations -- basketball-only schools included. This during Pitt's years of setting donations records no less. The attendance for basketball lags far what one would expect given the success of the program. The atmosphere among non-students is entirely underwhelming unless a name team is playing. The Pete is vastly overrated by a fanbase that barely even follows college basketball, and largely acts as though college basketball didn't exist until about 15 years ago.

I have no agenda. People who make broad, inconsistent, inaccurate proclamations while completely ignoring the inconvenient realities that interfere with their sense of entitlement have an agenda. People who want to use every recruit, game, season, or arbitrarily chosen small sample of games as a referendum on a coach, an administration, or an arbitrarily defined "commitment to winning" have agendas.

The atmosphere at the Pete was great until Pitt started playing soporific style hoops and until the out of conference schedule went into the dumper. If Pitt played the style/ caliber of offensive we saw in the NC game, the atmosphere would be consistently great. On the other hand , I have seen Pitt play games at thePete the last 4 years in which they looked like they were playing with medicine ball-really ugly , boring BB. It's supposed to be entertaining-you know, put the ball in the basket occasionally.

Oh man, I can't wait to go grab a mid-major coach, put him in a challenging situation, and not miss a beat. Onwards and upwards with the new Andy Enfield (but with no recruiting base to speak of)!

Fingers crossed Dixon leaves! The last coach from Dayton is tearing it up down at Georgia Tech. Jeff Capel was a phenomenal success in his last stops, too.
Many names being discussed as Donovan's replacement now that he officially gone. Not one mention of Dixon. All are young, up and comers, with NCAA tournament experience. Dixon is not up and coming. He's going nowhere.

Prior to leaving Pittsburgh, I hadn't missed a game in 8 years. Even during whatever glory years people choose to anchor on when reminiscing about how wonderful things were back in the day, the Pete was always a borderline morgue for schools like even Seton Hall, Rutgers, and St. John's. That's not even the OOC. Pittsburgh just doesn't particularly like basketball, or Pitt for that matter. As recently as last year, Mark Titus marveled about the Pete's atmosphere when Cuse came in ranked #1 and he attended a game for the first time.

The issue has never been getting Pittsburghers to come out and attend an event -- regardless of the quality of Pitt's team or the perceived entertainment value that isn't particularly backed up by statistics. The issue is getting them to come out when you play even a lower-tier Conference opponent.

I'm not even particularly criticizing the season ticket holders who don't show up -- sometimes stuff happens. The main issue is that there's 0 secondary market for tickets. Aside from the diehards, Pittsburgh's never liked basketball enough to get a sizable crowd of people into the Pete for anything other than a sexy opponent.

Many names being discussed as Donovan's replacement now that he officially gone. Not one mention of Dixon. All are young, up and comers, with NCAA tournament experience. Dixon is not up and coming. He's going nowhere.

You'd hope he would have reached Mark Few status by now where he's pretty firmly entrenched, but you never know. Only place I saw him mentioned was Sporting News. Looks like it's mostly mid-major names being thrown out, which makes sense.

The atmosphere at the Pete was great until Pitt started playing soporific style hoops and until the out of conference schedule went into the dumper. If Pitt played the style/ caliber of offensive we saw in the NC game, the atmosphere would be consistently great. On the other hand , I have seen Pitt play games at thePete the last 4 years in which they looked like they were playing with medicine ball-really ugly , boring BB. It's supposed to be entertaining-you know, put the ball in the basket occasionally.

When were the glory days of out-of-conference scheduling at the Pete. I think I've been to probably 95% or so of the total games played in that building, and I'm asking this honestly, have we ever played a ranked OOC opponent at the Pete. Maybe Wisconsin one year?

In the history of that building, the only p-5 schools that I even remember hosting are Ohio St, Wisconsin, Georgia, Washington, FSU, Wisconsin, OK St. How many am I missing??

Point being, is really not hosting 1, at max, major OOC game the reason for the atmosphere decline?? That can't be it. The OOC schedule has really never been that good, especially at home.

BTW..good to see you again Del hope all is well

When were the glory days of out-of-conference scheduling at the Pete. I think I've been to probably 95% or so of the total games played in that building, and I'm asking this honestly, have we ever played a ranked OOC opponent at the Pete. Maybe Wisconsin one year?

In the history of that building, the only p-5 schools that I even remember hosting are Ohio St, Wisconsin, Georgia, Washington, FSU, Wisconsin, OK St. How many am I missing??

Point being, is really not hosting 1, at max, major OOC game the reason for the atmosphere decline?? That can't be it. The OOC schedule has really never been that good, especially at home.

BTW..good to see you again Del hope all is well

You're right, Whirly, that the OOC schedule was never "over taxing" but the fans used to be able to expect a least one good OOC game per year at the Pete-Wisconsin and Washington(they may not have been ranked) come immediately to mind.

By the way, I'm fine-thanks for asking. Busy, busy financing two college tuitions. My daughter just finished her freshman year at Pitt.

Reactions: Big Marty1
You're right, Whirly, that the OOC schedule was never "over taxing" but the fans used to be able to expect a least one good OOC game per year at the Pete-Wisconsin and Washington(they may not have been ranked) come immediately to mind.

By the way, I'm fine-thanks for asking. Busy, busy financing two college tuitions. My daughter just finished her freshman year at Pitt.

And I'm quick to agree with you, the OOC at home is a joke for enjoyment purposes. I actually think Dixon usually puts together a good schedule for tournament purposes (we usually play good teams from bad leagues which kind of rigs the RPI in a good way for us), but overall I wish he would throw fans a bone and have at least one good OOC team per year. Next year, I really hope the Big 10 game is at the Pete and not at the Consol, hopefully a marquis team too, maybe Ohio St, Michigan??

Well ... it's good to see nothing has changed during your hiatus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT