ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Burns, Jr vs Zach Edey

Who do you like? As much as I'm still shocked that the Wolfpack has made it this far, why not knock out the B1G and set up a Finals match vs the only other team left who's won a NC?
The pressure will be on Purdue, if that means anything.

True. Knocking out Purdue will make it either 24 or 25 years since a B1G team has won the NCAAT, despite all those bids they get each year ...
Several Big 10 teams have at least made it to a Championship game since that Sparty/Florida Championship game though.

Indiana
Michigan (2)
Michigan State
Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio State

Several Big 10 teams have at least made it to a Championship game since that Sparty/Florida Championship game though.

Indiana
Michigan (2)
Michigan State
Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Getting there and winning it are two different things. By your count they are 0-7. ACC, Big East, SEC, and Big 12 are the only conferences to win one since 2000. Must've been a lot of crying by the B1G teams ...

Reactions: 303vND and TD_6082
Barnes actually brought up a good point in the post-game presser. He talked about how long Edey is allowed to sit on the paint. I agree how they call the game will go along way to determining the winner.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Getting there and winning it are two different things. By your count they are 0-7. ACC, Big East, SEC, and Big 12 are the only conferences to win one since 2000. Must've been a lot of crying by the B1G teams ...

Very true. Only 66.67% of the way through the bracket. 3 more teams still left to be sent home in tears

What a crazy, but true, way to look at it. A team like NC State has to feel like they've been through the gauntlet multiple times by now.

Yep.

Making the Elite 8 is a really good accomplishment. But it's really only making it halfway through the bracket. (The easy half)

I guess it one of those glass half full or empty kinda deals. I say it's just a glass filled with tears of 67 teams.

Yep.

Making the Elite 8 is a really good accomplishment. But it's really only making it halfway through the bracket. (The easy half)

I guess it one of those glass half full or empty kinda deals. I say it's just a glass filled with tears of 67 teams.

Yeah, that used to be something I liked about college football. As disappointing as 2009 vs Cincy was, I still felt like we ended on a high note against UNC. Back when the bowls meant anything, that was a nice way to finish a season.

Yeah, that used to be something I liked about college football. As disappointing as 2009 vs Cincy was, I still felt like we ended on a high note against UNC. Back when the bowls meant anything, that was a nice way to finish a season.

Agree. That's something that was unique about college football. Perhaps it still is on some level. Strangely, I got a great deal of satisfaction out of the UCLA Sun Bowl win too. That's really the first time since that UNC game in Charlotte.

Love the one & done of March Madness though. It's great theater.

I think that Edy will struggle more,pushing Burns down to the basket and then pushing off with his left arm and getting separation to do his little hook

Barnes actually brought up a good point in the post-game presser. He talked about how long Edey is allowed to sit on the paint. I agree how they call the game will go along way to determining the winner.
I watched a lot of college bball this year and can't recall one lane violation call made all year. The interesting thing in this game will be to see how the coaches react cause if they start pointing it out when the opponent is doing it, will they end up getting it called on their own guy as well?

Edey never has to leave his feet to defend Burns….big advantage.
Edey should win that battle and, unlike the past years, I think Purdue has a better supporting cast. Plus, Painter is a better in-game tactician than Keats.

Edey should win that battle and, unlike the past years, I think Purdue has a better supporting cast. Plus, Painter is a better in-game tactician than Keats.
Burns is pretty slick and surprisingly quick but he ‘s not going to bully Edey and Edey’s size advantage will allow him sit back and just wait for Burns to shoot ….no need to react to head fakes. I hate every team in the Big 10 and will be pulling for NC St.

During this run by NC State I don't know if I can recall seeing Burns dunk!

The battle of the big men aside, it may come down to Loyer vs Horne and free throws. I'm hoping for a competitive game
I’d imagine it will be Braden Smith on Horne as Loyer plays off the ball. Loyer will be matched up with O’Connell. Loyer the much better shooter and overall offensive player, but O’Connell is tough and physical defensively.

As someone pointed out the way the refs call the game will be big in this one. Barring foul trouble Edey should be able to defend Burns more effectively than Burns can defend him.

Purdue has more horses and better for sure, and I think they’ll win this one comfortably, but I’d never say never with NCSU.

Purdue

I saw a meme of a camping tent in the paint with Edey's name on it. Dude lives in the paint.

This 9.5 spread is way too big. NC State has better players than Purdue outside of Edey. I realize he is the most dominant player in the country but this is a game I feel NC State could win outright. I'd pick Purdue, but not very confidently. I think NC St has a much better chance to beat Purdue than Bama has to beat UConn. Purdue is a bunch of slightly above average players plus Edey. They are susceptible.

Purdue

I saw a meme of a camping tent in the paint with Edey's name on it. Dude lives in the paint.

This 9.5 spread is way too big. NC State has better players than Purdue outside of Edey. I realize he is the most dominant player in the country but this is a game I feel NC State could win outright. I'd pick Purdue, but not very confidently. I think NC St has a much better chance to beat Purdue than Bama has to beat UConn. Purdue is a bunch of slightly above average players plus Edey. They are susceptible.
NCSU basically plays 7 guys. Of those, 3 of them are very good. They don’t shoot the ball very well as a team. Purdue has depth for days. Everyone can shoot. They just keep leaning on opponents with Edey and fresh legs until the opponents eventually give. And of course nobody has a matchup for Edey. I also think FT shooting may be a factor as Purdue goes to the line a ton.

The one guy NCSU has that I think can be a matchup problem for Purdue is Diarra. If he can help Burns defend Edey and be a rebounding force at both ends, the game could be interesting. But I just think Purdue will be too much for them. They are bound to hit the wall, and I think Purdue is that wall. I expect it to be pretty close until maybe the 10 minute mark or so. That’s about when NCSU will wear out.

I watched a lot of college bball this year and can't recall one lane violation call made all year. The interesting thing in this game will be to see how the coaches react cause if they start pointing it out when the opponent is doing it, will they end up getting it called on their own guy as well?
its good that you said "lane violation call" as opposed to "lane violation" because I have seen plenty of those...I don't get it, don't have a rule if you are not gong to enforce it...

Was thinking about this. From a pure entertainment/anticipation standpoint, is Edey v Burns the best 1 on 1 matchup in the Final Four in decades? I mean sure there have been much better players but often, the best players dont guard each other. I can't think of the last great 1 on 1 battle.

Reactions: TreesHero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT