ADVERTISEMENT

Do ACC dual meets matter?

levance2

All American
Aug 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Is being the conference regular season champion considered a feat? I think Pitt considered regular season and tournament championships in the EWL, right?

I was trying to find a site that lists the current ACC standings and couldn't find one.

At present, it would be a feat for a Pitt team of any persuasion to win a regular season or ACC tournament title!

They list annual standings in the ACC records book.

Perhaps the question is whether you get a trophy for a dual meet regular season championship? Probably not.

For basketball in the ACC, there is no official regular season championship. The tournament is the official championship. Still, the ACC even lists "regular season" basketball champions in its record book. Most schools count them, as far as I'm aware. However, the ACC seems a little different with awarding regular seasons than the Big East or EWL was.

This post was edited on 12/11 6:19 PM by CrazyPaco

Do they matter? Sure. They matter to the kids who train for them. They matter for the staff in internally determining its program strength against its peers (& recruiting, by extension). It matters to the Athletic Director who will use the results as one indicator that the resources put into the program are being used towards creating an athletic department of overall strength.

Is it considered a feat? Of course. I mean, I'm sure for the average, slack-jawed guy on his couch filtering through only the mainstream sports marketed to him, it won't register, but Athletic Departments are more than Men's Basketball & Football. Just as certain schools are known for reputable academic disciplines, they can also be known for particular successful athletic programs.

So, they lost the regular season to Bloomsburg (because we literally had no wrestler at 125) and won the tournament last season. The year before they beat Edinboro at home for the regular season title and then won the tournament title. They never got any tangible item the year the beat Edinboro for the regular season, but the banner at the Field House has both years entered as champions. So, they don't get anything tangible like men's basketball did in the BE, but they still get recognized for the accomplishment.Virginia Tech , as the article points out, won five straight regular season titles, but just managed to breakthrough for their first tournament title, since joining the conference.

The ACC site has women's volleyball standings, I'm sure they'll have ACC wrestling standings once the dual season revs up. So far, only UVA/VT (UVA in a mild upset) & Pitt/MD (Pitt in a thorough victory) have happened.

Wrestlers got rings from Pitt for every year they won either dual or tournament EWL championships. I'd assume Pitt will give them rings for either ACC dual or tourney championships and hang a corresponding banner in the Fitz.

I'd assume they only get an ACC trophy for tourney champs, but I could be mistaken. The BE gave trophies for both, but I don't know if the EWL gave anything for duals.

BVRETK8IgAAr3rw.jpg:large

This post was edited on 12/12 12:52 AM by CrazyPaco

To be clear, I wasn't trying to demean the hypothetical accomplishment. I just looked at the ACC website and didn't see any standings. I tried to search the web generally, and could only find listings of individual wrestlers. That was the basis of my question: Are dual meet results considered important, or are they trumped by individual rankings and tournament results?

I come from a background in swimming, which is a similar mix of team/individual, and in most cases dual meet results are considered much less important than individual results, although still notable to some degree.

I want Pitt to win anything they can, and if the team earns a ring for regular season champions, they deserve a lot of credit. (I was really trying to figure out which duals on the schedule I should make the most effort to attend, in a situation where it may influence the final regular season results.)

Originally posted by levance2:
To be clear, I wasn't trying to demean the hypothetical accomplishment. I just looked at the ACC website and didn't see any standings. I tried to search the web generally, and could only find listings of individual wrestlers. That was the basis of my question: Are dual meet results considered important, or are they trumped by individual rankings and tournament results?

I come from a background in swimming, which is a similar mix of team/individual, and in most cases dual meet results are considered much less important than individual results, although still notable to some degree.

I want Pitt to win anything they can, and if the team earns a ring for regular season champions, they deserve a lot of credit. (I was really trying to figure out which duals on the schedule I should make the most effort to attend, in a situation where it may influence the final regular season results.)
I didn't get the impression that you were.

You can think of it this way. Wrestling has a round robin of dual meets in conference. Pitt swimming & diving does not. ACC teams do not all swim each other, nor do they swim the same number of ACC teams. Heck, Boston College doesn't typically swim anyone else in the ACC. Dual meets are definitely more important in wrestling. Swimming and Diving is about building to the conference championship meet.

ACC dual meets absolutely matter, but pale in comparison to the importance of end of season events. It is a great recruiting tool to say you won the conference and obviously the kids love getting the Championship rings. But in the long run, they are not as important as the NCAA tournament and every coaching decision is made with an eye toward the end of the season.

I dont believe that there is any regular season championship trophy. Wrestling as a sport needs to upgrade the importance of dual meets and have a dual meet championship if they want to increase popularity. But the individual schools still recognize dual meet rankings and conference championships.

EWL never gave anything for regular season stuff, at least they didn't in 2011 when Pitt beat Edinboro at the Field House for the regular season title. And, as you said, the rings were from the school - which is a great gesture by them.

For the EWL tournament, they gave a plaque. The ACC appears to have a trophy for the tournament winner, which would be prettier in the trophy case.

If everyone can stay healthy, nothing I saw from the team in College Park last Friday makes me feel they can't get the trophy this year.

This post was edited on 12/12 11:48 PM by singregardless

I didn't interpret it that way - just trying to be precise in answering your question.

You're right - the ACC site doesn't have any standings and that's them dropping the ball. Only two conference matches have happened so far though - UVA/VT & Pitt/MD. UVA & Pitt are tied atop the conference until the new year when most of the in conference stuff happens. Hopefully, they have that set up in the coming weeks.

This year - I'd argue the dual meets are more important for Pitt, just because when you're entering a new conference you want that first statement to be definitive. In a vacuum, Pitt has more individual national champions than team titles, so I guess the individual results are more appealing/validating as a (potential) supporter of the program.

I'm completely ignorant of swimming & diving. However, one would think that the ACC could set up a few "quad" swim meets so that a school sees most of the other schools once during the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT