ADVERTISEMENT

Do all Pitt athletes get NIL $ ?

ChazzMo

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2002
Is there info available on what various team members get? Not necessarily names but just team members.

Like, I was a track guy (440/600/880) back in the day (‘71-‘75). I was on schollie. If it was today, would I be getting $ ?

Just curious how it works for minor sports.

Is there info available on what various team members get? Not necessarily names but just team members.

Like, I was a track guy (440/600/880) back in the day (‘71-‘75). I was on schollie. If it was today, would I be getting $ ?

Just curious how it works for minor sports.

On the A412 site, it lists some Olympic Sports athletes. So some do, yes but I'd guess its very little, like just a few thousand dollars and only done to check the boxes of helping ALL student-athletes. Those athletes dont genetate revenue so its unlikely they can receive very much. Maybe a few volleyball players are getting 10K or so, I dont know but even that program loses boatloads of money.

Reactions: ChazzMo
On the A412 site, it lists some Olympic Sports athletes. So some do, yes but I'd guess its very little, like just a few thousand dollars and only done to check the boxes of helping ALL student-athletes. Those athletes dont genetate revenue so its unlikely they can receive very much. Maybe a few volleyball players are getting 10K or so, I dont know but even that program loses boatloads of money.
Pretty sure the school helps them find NIL, as I know even mid major and low major Olympic athletes receive stuff. It could be a couple hundred dollars from the ice cream shop on the corner, or someone like Elena Scott at Louisville driving jeeps all over campus from the local jeep dealer and pasting pics all over social media and tagging the jeep dealer.

Reactions: ChazzMo
Pretty sure the school helps them find NIL, as I know even mid major and low major Olympic athletes receive stuff. It could be a couple hundred dollars from the ice cream shop on the corner, or someone like Elena Scott at Louisville driving jeeps all over campus from the local jeep dealer and pasting pics all over social media and tagging the jeep dealer.

Well, yea but I didnt think he was talking about that. Most athletes probably receive some small amount of what I call "real NIL." Appearing at a youth sports camp for $100, posting a pic of you at a restaurant that they pay you $100 for. This is what NIL was intended for. For companies to pay you for use of your NIL for their business purposes. But only 20% of NIL deals are these "real" NIL deals. 80% are the booster pay for plays which only football and mbb get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT