ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have too many scholarships accounted for?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Its weird now in this new era that we dont seem to have anyone transferring but that might not be a great thing. We also have 3 somewhat highly regarded players signed and that may not be a great thing. As it stands, we only have 3 scholarships to go to transfers and very very specific needs so we cant afford to miss. We need a rebounder, a shooter, and best available. The staff has to be cerberal in who they take but also have to make sure they give enough commitable offers. Its an interesting dance.

I still have my doubts that Santos is here next year. But either way, I'm not concerned about only having 3 open spots right now.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Roster by position with maximum remaining eligibility.

PG:
Dior, 4 years
Lowe, 4 years

SG:
Carrington, 4 years

Wing:
Santos, 2 years
Jeffress, 3 years
Barnes, 4 years

PF:
Hinson, 1 year
JDG, 3 years

C:
Federiko, 2 years
GDG, 3 years

a. Lets not assume all the returners are back just yet. Not saying I think one will leave, but this is the nature of CBB now.
b. Are they actually going after a rebounder or is that fan talk? They seem mostly linked to guards/wings. Get bigger at the wing and Fede develops. I'm not overly concerned about rebounding.
c. I would almost go PG, SG/Wing, SG/Wing for the three spots. Having three freshman at the guard position is a big change from the four seniors this year.

I'm hoping whoever they bring in at guard and wing can blend in with the front court.

I guess the counter argument is that we were basically playing with 9 scholarships this year... and that includes Santos and JDG, who were both low-minutes developmental guys, for the most part.

But yeah - we're losing a lot of production and replacing it with a lot of questions marks. And if we're not able to find certain pieces, then guys like Hinson also become questions marks, because their success is predicated on certain things being in place at other positions.

So last year was really a 6-man rotation of Hinson, Cummings, Elliott, Burton, Fede, Sibande for most of the year, with late contributions from twins and sporadic minutes by Santos. So really 9 scholarships for the equivalent of 7 players producing.

So far we have
Hinson
Fede
GDG

Dior should be a full contributor

One would assume JDG is better and at least a bench contributor.

Jeffress gives us 6.

A lot of questions with Santos and let’s count Lowe/CC as unknowns given they are freshman as 3 ships for 1 unit of productivity.

So we are at 9 scholarships for about 7 units of player productivity.

If they land some of the higher transfers, it immediately creates depth, which will help with the late season fatigue. But there is a balance in landing quality players who think they can start, but may be relegated to limited minutes when we already have a strong 5… I mentioned in another thread that if Jeffress and Santos are 12th/13th on depth chart, that is not a bad thing…Santos as 13 versus Fisch as 13 would be a huge upgrade for depth. They will transfer out next year if passed that far on the depth chart, but they both know the system and can still contribute in practice while the top 10 players play.

There is also a benefit of returning 7 players. We were not privy to the practices with Dior and Jeffress, but that time together will help them get off to a more cohesive start this year.

Last edited:
I hope Will can come back strong and improved, but I find him to be the unknown factor. He appears to be a terrific team player but how much can he be counted on to help on the court is certainly unknown.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Its weird now in this new era that we dont seem to have anyone transferring but that might not be a great thing. We also have 3 somewhat highly regarded players signed and that may not be a great thing. As it stands, we only have 3 scholarships to go to transfers and very very specific needs so we cant afford to miss. We need a rebounder, a shooter, and best available. The staff has to be cerberal in who they take but also have to make sure they give enough commitable offers. Its an interesting dance.

Pg- Dior, Lowe
Sg- (Girard or someone like him)
Sf- Carrington, Santos (Austin maybe)
Pf- Hinson, Jorge / Jeffress
C- Fede / Diaz Graham

RS- Barnes

If we get Girard, that takes care of the bulk of the SG spot and the backup point guard position. Girard could also play some 1 and move Dior to the 2 at times. Girard shoots 38% from 3 and made just under 100 three balls the last 2 years in a row. He stretches the defense perfectly for Dior / Lowe which is great and is the big time shooter we need.

You need another SG / Wing combo.

And I still think you need a center unless the staff trusts Jorge as the 3rd center, which after this season I do not trust that at all after watching him struggle there. If they do trust Jorge as the 3rd center moving forward, you go after the best player available. Could be an athletic shot blocking 4, could be another wing.

Something will have to give within the next year between Santos, Jeffress, and Barnes. 3 development players with some similarities and none of which I am projecting to help the offense, at least not right now. 2 of these players have confidence issues, and we will find out a lot more about Jeffress next year and what he can provide on offense if anything.

Remember you need guys to be 11, 12 and 13 on the roster.

Not everyone can be in the rotation. Between one/two of the freshman, Santos/Jeffress and the twins you are going to have about three guys who don't get consistent minutes.

Reactions: bobfree
Remember you need guys to be 11, 12 and 13 on the roster.

Not everyone can be in the rotation. Between one/two of the freshman, Santos/Jeffress and the twins you are going to have about three guys who don't get consistent minutes.

I think this is what we have to realize and what Capels challenge will be. But I think he’s learned this.

Would it be great to get Samuel, Girard, Rice, Santos leave and get the kid from temple? In theory sure….but there’s only one basketball.

Blake shoots a lot. Fede is ok not doing anything but hustling. Dior is going to want shots so are the freshmen.

We did well in 4 out 1 in. We need to replace Elliott, some experience in the back court and some toughness and roll the ball out I like our talent level.

Talent means nothing if we don't get some guys that rebound and play some D with some intensity.
The twins and Fede i hope improve from last season.

Pg- Dior, Lowe
Sg- (Girard or someone like him)
Sf- Carrington, Santos (Austin maybe)
Pf- Hinson, Jorge / Jeffress
C- Fede / Diaz Graham

RS- Barnes

If we get Girard, that takes care of the bulk of the SG spot and the backup point guard position. Girard could also play some 1 and move Dior to the 2 at times. Girard shoots 38% from 3 and made just under 100 three balls the last 2 years in a row. He stretches the defense perfectly for Dior / Lowe which is great and is the big time shooter we need.

You need another SG / Wing combo.

And I still think you need a center unless the staff trusts Jorge as the 3rd center, which after this season I do not trust that at all after watching him struggle there. If they do trust Jorge as the 3rd center moving forward, you go after the best player available. Could be an athletic shot blocking 4, could be another wing.

Something will have to give within the next year between Santos, Jeffress, and Barnes. 3 development players with some similarities and none of which I am projecting to help the offense, at least not right now. 2 of these players have confidence issues, and we will find out a lot more about Jeffress next year and what he can provide on offense if anything.

I think Hinson needs to play the 3 on offense and 4 on defense so we can have an athletic type (like a Javon Franklin) rebound and guard the 3. Need to improve rebounding and defense. Having Hinson at the 4 without another big hurts our rebounding.

Reactions: Protes
Talent means nothing if we don't get some guys that rebound and play some D with some intensity.
The twins and Fede i hope improve from last season.

San Diego State and FAU have been playing glorified rugby all the way to the final four. Obviously we've seen with MSU and ISU that you also have to be able to score, but some balance would be nice.

I think Hinson needs to play the 3 on offense and 4 on defense so we can have an athletic type (like a Javon Franklin) rebound and guard the 3. Need to improve rebounding and defense. Having Hinson at the 4 without another big hurts our rebounding.
Javon Franklin was Georgia Tech’s center. What are you talking about?

I think the biggest need by far is an experienced point guard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT