ADVERTISEMENT

Do you prefer Pitt wins #9 against Minn/Ind OR loses toe-to-toe with LSU/Georgia?

9th win over Minnesota/Indiana OR close valiant loss to LSU/Georgia?

• Pitt goes 9-4, no matter who we beat to get there

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • Pitt goes 8-5, but ends the year with a memorable battle against a big-name foe

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters

pittpitt

Freshman
Nov 30, 2002
Some Pitt fans are upset with the likely prospect of facing a crappy B10 team in NYC (5-7 Minnesota or 6-6 Indiana) and would rather get a better test in a no-lose situation facing a big-name opponent like LSU or Georgia. It's an either-or question, make an actual decision.

I just want to see a win. PERIOD. I also don't believe in losing for a better draft pick in the NFL, when I turn on a game, or show up at one, the only scenario I root for for my team is JUST WIN TODAY, even if losing today might be better for your future.

I feel like winning a bowl game, no matter the opponent is better for the program moving to the off season. Having said that, losing to a stronger opponent in a better quality bowl game has its merits.

Reactions: rojo36
It's not that simple.
I don't think a close win against Minnesota or (especially) Indiana does Pitt much good.

But, while a name opponent, these aren't highly ranked SEC opponents here. They were trainwrecks during large parts of the season. Moral victories probably won't apply.

So that correct answer is the 9th win, but only if Pitt wins by 5 touchdowns.

It's not that simple.
I don't think a close win against Minnesota or (especially) Indiana does Pitt much good.

But, while a name opponent, these aren't highly ranked SEC opponents here. They were trainwrecks during large parts of the season. Moral victories probably won't apply.

So that correct answer is the 9th win, but only if Pitt wins by 5 touchdowns.

It doesn't have to do Pitt much good, winning is better than losing.

Some Pitt fans are upset with the likely prospect of facing a crappy B10 team in NYC (5-7 Minnesota or 6-6 Indiana) and would rather get a better test in a no-lose situation facing a big-name opponent like LSU or Georgia. It's an either-or question, make an actual decision.

I'll join this poll when you add an obvious 3rd choice. Pitt battles Georgia/LSU and gets their 9th win in doing so.

anyone who doesn't think it's ultimately ALL about wins is not paying attention. "we lost but it was close" matters not a whit. You think WVU consoles themselves by saying "yeah but you only beat us by 4" when I remind them of 13-9?

A 9-4 record achieved by beating Duquesne by one point in the "who gives a shit bowl" is infinitely better at this stage of our resurgence than ending 8-5 with a one point loss to a strong SEC team on New Years Day.

as weird as this sounds, I'd take the close loss. I've seen us beat average teams, it's called the ACC. Would like to see us compete with an elite team. These are exhibitions anyways, mean nothing. Let's play a real good team and see how we do. I've witnessed enough mediocrity in '15. If I want to see us beat Indiana, i'll just rewatch the Syracuse or Louisville game.

I believe playing LSU or Georgia is a win win situation neither is a guarantee loss and Indiana or Minnesota not a guarantee win, we would find out mor about the Pitt football program playing LSU or Georgia if we win great start for next year, if we lose we see where we are and where we need to be

Reactions: HOF Coach
There's bowls, good bowls, and bowl wins. Good bowl wins can really matter with closing late in recruiting. MSU wasn't known for closing on higher ranked recruits until we started beating good teams in bowl games.

Hopefully Pitt gets a tougher bowl and wins it. The worst that could happen is a blowout loss (circa MSU - Alabama in the Capital One Bowl during the 2010 season).

These are exhibitions anyways, mean nothing.

So basically what you're saying is that Pitt has played nothing but exhibition games since they beat Georgia on New Year's Day 1977? because sounds like, anything that isn't for the championship, is just an exhibition game, so who cares?

So basically what you're saying is that Pitt has played nothing but exhibition games since they beat Georgia on New Year's Day 1977? because sounds like, anything that isn't for the championship, is just an exhibition game, so who cares?
I said these bowl games are glorified exhibitions. I like them, love watching them actually but they are not relevant to conference standings and basically are what they are.. It comes off as me talking bad about bowl games, which I am not. Just think of them more as an exhibition than an extension of the season, if that makes sense. Let me try it this way, the outcome wont effect my thoughts on the 2015 season.

I said these bowl games are glorified exhibitions. I like them, love watching them actually but they are not relevant to conference standings and basically are what they are.. It comes off as me talking bad about bowl games, which I am not. Just think of them more as an exhibition than an extension of the season, if that makes sense. Let me try it this way, the outcome wont effect my thoughts on the 2015 season.
But the thing is, if you don't get into your conference championship game and you don't get into the CFP, the bowl game is your championship, your post season. Sure it's no big deal, sure you'll be waving your finger yelling "YAY! We're #35!" If you win, but if you don't care if you win or lose, what's the use of playing? If it's all about "next year" bench Boyd, and get the backups some experience, since he'll probably be in the NFL next year, who cares? Right?

But the thing is, if you don't get into your conference championship game and you don't get into the CFP, the bowl game is your championship, your post season. Sure it's no big deal, sure you'll be waving your finger yelling "YAY! We're #35!" If you win, but if you don't care if you win or lose, what's the use of playing? If it's all about "next year" bench Boyd, and get the backups some experience, since he'll probably be in the NFL next year, who cares? Right?
That's a good point. Honestly, and hear me out before you kill me here, but I'd honestly rather see Ollison, Hall, and James play even if JC was healthy. And I love JC but I do think of these bowl games as almost as a start of next year, a chance for the younger guys to showcase what they have.. Case in point, Sun Bowl under Wanny. our tackle was hurt and he put in a 5th year senior over Nix (I may have my names mixed up so correct me if I am wrong). I was so PISSED. Why in the hell play a 5th year senior over a freshman who blew his redshirt.

regarding Boyd. yeah, I kind of agree with that. I want him to play though, I mean he is about 80% of our offense. But I don't want him to get 10 carries out of backfield and targeted 20 times by Nate. I'd like to see him get his but would rather see what we have with one of the younger guys.

Why do people have so little faith that Pitt could beat LSU?

This isn't Alabama. LSU has a shitty QB, so they won't be able to exploit our small corners. Pitt is generally good at stopping the run. LSU defense is not as good as in year's past either.

Have faith in the Panthers. A game against LSU generates lots of buzz. A win against LSU would catapult Pitt into the recruiting season like no recent win since 13-9.

A win is better than a loss but I'd rather take the 10% chance of beating a high profile SEC team than the 70% chance of beating a Big Ten bottom-dweller..........because, you kniw, we could lose to that team. Victory is nit guaranteed.

I can't believe after last year anyone suggests anything other than a win....or that anyone would rip the caliber of Houston...?

Just win... There are no "draft picks"... This isn't the NFL

Give me the W every single time. Moral victories are for losers.

I could care less about moral victories, I am looking at it from an entertainment value. I've seen more than enough mediocrity this year, give me an opponent with some talent, see how our boys match up.

Give me the W every single time. Moral victories are for losers.
What makes you think a game against Indiana or Minnesota is an automatic win?

What makes you think a game against LSU is an automatic loss?

Go for the gold, baby.

I don't assume that at all. Similarly, I don't presume that we would automatically lose to LSU or Georgia. I thought the original question was whether or not I preferred a win over a lower tier B1G team or a loss to a more highly regarded SEC team. Did I read that incorrectly?

Upon further review, I read the OP's Q correctly. I always prefer W's over L's. That's just kind of my thing.

Reactions: Ski11585
The specifics of this poll are pointless. Would you rather win or lose? That's all that matters. Or do you expect HCPN to go visit a recruit and tel him "hey, did you see how well we lost?"

I'm going with 9-4, even if we face a crappy team to do it, for a few reasons.

1) A bowl win is a bowl win, and as much as it would be amazing to beat a traditional SEC power down south, I'm more intrigued by a likely 9th win than a much less likely 9th win.
2) For posterity's sake, facts that don't need a lot of context to understand do really well. In a few years we'll see a 9-win season as the big uptick from numerous 6- and 7-win seasons...8 doesn't really do that. Pitt fans know we were better than ND on Nov 3, 2012, and that's super significant because the Domers went to the National Championship Game, but the amount of context it takes to explain that L in the middle of a 6-7 season doesn't resonate through time as well as the L and the 6-7 record.
3) For recruiting's sake, facts that don't need a lot of context do really well. It's much easier to sell recruits on wins than on good losses. As a former HS basketball coach who regularly had players recruited by some big and mid-major programs, I can assure you that short and sweet facts like # of wins and # of bowl wins go much further than contextually necessary moral victories.
4) Even though we don't really recruit against Minnesota or Indiana, we do recruit against the B10 quite regularly (especially nearby schools Ped State, OSU, Rutgers, Maryland, and MSU) so a win over a B10 school does carry some weight with recruits in those states. If the B10 looks bad, especially at the hands of Pitt, that helps us in recruiting.
5) Losing your last 2 games, and losing 4 of your last 6, can be deflating to some players, fans, and recruits. End with a win and a single 2-game losing streak as the worst part of the season; continue to build momentum and buzz into the offseason and next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
The specifics of this poll are pointless. Would you rather win or lose? That's all that matters. Or do you expect HCPN to go visit a recruit and tel him "hey, did you see how well we lost?"
It's not that black and white Ski. It's like the endless debate on here about OOC scheduling. Some people want 4 easy wins, some want harder schedules. If winning is all that matters, lets schedule Ysu, villanova, grambling, and Kent state every year. Why play Iowa or psu when you can play New Hampshire.

It's not that black and white Ski. It's like the endless debate on here about OOC scheduling. Some people want 4 easy wins, some want harder schedules. If winning is all that matters, lets schedule Ysu, villanova, grambling, and Kent state every year. Why play Iowa or psu when you can play New Hampshire.

Yes I'd rather win.

So this is how we start in 2016? Tough start no cupcakes here! I think we'll dominate TBA University on 9/24?????
Sep. 3
villanova1.gif
Villanova Wildcats
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA TBA ---
Saturday
Sep. 10 Penn State Nittany Lions
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA TBA ---
Saturday
Sep. 17 at Oklahoma State Cowboys
Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 24 --- TBA --- ---
Saturday
Oct. 1 Marshall Thundering Herd
Heinz Field

It's really easy, even if they lose at the last minute to LSU, for other teams to tell recruits (as pittpitt said) "hey, they lost 4 of their last 6." Nobody will remember the specifics of the bowl game. Just the result. Pitt gains nothing from a moral victory.

It's really easy, even if they lose at the last minute to LSU, for other teams to tell recruits (as pittpitt said) "hey, they lost 4 of their last 6." Nobody will remember the specifics of the bowl game. Just the result. Pitt gains nothing from a moral victory.
Do you think that beating Indiana in a bowl game is a big selling point? How bout this one. What game would a recruit rather watch on TV, Pitt vs LSU or Pitt vs Indiana? I just don't like the garbage games, that's all. Not saying Indiana is garbage, I am referring more to the FCS and MAC OOC games. I crave big time football and I see that on game days with ND, WVU, PSU, IOWA, we will see this next year with OK state, I get a very "amateurish" mid level feel from the akron games, the ysu games. Frustrated when I watch big league D1 football and then I turn on a FIU vs Pitt game and hear Hillgrove talk about students walking home from the library and stopping to watch the game.

Last edited:
Do you think that beating Indiana in a bowl game is a big selling point?

Being able to go into a recruit's home saying "We won 9 games" is a bigger selling point than "Hey, we didn't get embarrassed by LSU!"

SEC. More money, more stability.

My original question assumed college football stayed as is and your lot in life as a program was guaranteed perptually.

So given those assumptions, anyone picking less wins against better competition is an idiot. Sorry the original question I posed wasn't more specific.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT