• NBA

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • College Basketball

Votes: 56 84.8%

• Total voters

Pitt79

Board of Trustee
Oct 3, 2005
I'm just curious about this, some people on another thread where acting like I'm a unicorn of some kind for preferring watching college ball over NBA. So I was curious?

I really enjoy both.

The conference tourneys and NCAA tourney are hard top for me though unless the Celtics are legit contender. Needless to say, this year I've enjoyed the NBA more. Go C's!

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I really enjoy both.

The conference tourneys and NCAA tourney are hard top for me though unless the Celtics are legit contender. Needless to say, this year I've enjoyed the NBA more. Go C's!
I was a Chicago Bulls fan from the 70s until the end of the Jordan Era, after they became irrelevant I kind of lost interest over time, also I think the NBA style of play was better before 2000, at least IMO

Reactions: TD_6082
The NBA is unwatchable because its like watching a video game. The players are too skilled offensively and there isnt enough attention to defense. I totally realize that college players arent anywhere near as good but I enjoy the variability of a college game.

Quit the NBA at least 30 years ago. Too many teams, too long a season, too many meaningless games. Way too expensive to attend live games.

Reactions: Pittguy93
I watch tons of college hoops. I do not watch the NBA now, and haven't watched it since Jordan left. I cannot stand LeBron. Having said that, I'm sure I would watch the NBA if the city of Pittsburgh ever got a team.

Quit the NBA at least 30 years ago. Too many teams, too long a season, too many meaningless games. Way too expensive to attend live games.
If you don't mind sitting in the upper level, it's really not expensive at all. Of course the franchises nearest me are complete shit (Washington & Charlotte) so that probably has a lot to do with it.

The NBA is unwatchable because its like watching a video game. The players are too skilled offensively and there isnt enough attention to defense. I totally realize that college players arent anywhere near as good but I enjoy the variability of a college game.
Unwatchable because players are too skilled? That's a new one.

There's plenty of attention to defense. The rule changes over the last several years have made the game more offense friendly.

Reactions: alsporsche
I was a Chicago Bulls fan from the 70s until the end of the Jordan Era, after they became irrelevant I kind of lost interest over time, also I think the NBA style of play was better before 2000, at least IMO
The overall physicality and hard fouls going to the basket back then were really something.

There's plenty of attention to defense. The rule changes over the last several years have made the game more offense friendly.

The only people who think that they don't pay attention to defense in the NBA are people who don't understand the difference between bad defense and good offense. Those people tend to think that they play better defense in college than the NBA because they also don't understand the difference between bad offense and good defense.

I much prefer college basketball. My order of preference:

1. College - all Pitt games, March Madness, many other ACC conference games, select good teams from other conferences.

2. NBA Playoffs - watch only teams with select interesting players.

3. NBA regular season -- watch very few games just to see a Pitt player or how some highly touted rookie is doing.

Unwatchable because players are too skilled? That's a new one.

Yes because the "scoring rate" if that's even a term is too high. They score on basically every possession. Its too easy. Like a video game.

I like both, but Pitt and March Madness are at the top of the list. NBA Playoffs would come next, then the marquee matchups regardless of level.

I guess I’m just getting old and miserable…but I enjoyed college basketball more when I knew more of the players’ names on each team.

When I was growing up in the 80’s and 90’s, you could name all of the players on a Duke, or Carolina or UNLV or Michigan and at least 1-2 guys on the roster at tons of other schools.

Now with so many one-and-done players and transfers I just don’t have the same emotional attachment to it, even during tournament time.

The NBA is fun to watch because it’s ridiculous how talented guys are these days…but outside of the playoffs the passion isn’t really there.

So yeah, I’m in the camp of watching all Pitt games I can and then other NBA/NCAA if I’m bored.

Reactions: Pittguy93
I guess I’m just getting old and miserable…but I enjoyed college basketball more when I knew more of the players’ names on each team.

When I was growing up in the 80’s and 90’s, you could name all of the players on a Duke, or Carolina or UNLV or Michigan and at least 1-2 guys on the roster at tons of other schools.

Now with so many one-and-done players and transfers I just don’t have the same emotional attachment to it, even during tournament time.

The NBA is fun to watch because it’s ridiculous how talented guys are these days…but outside of the playoffs the passion isn’t really there.

So yeah, I’m in the camp of watching all Pitt games I can and then other NBA/NCAA if I’m bored.

College basketball is definitely less watchable now since every year, everyone has a new team and you don't know who plays for who. Still better than watching a video game though.

THIS^^^ so SMF "gets it" at least what I think when watching games. YES, I KNOW, NBA players are way more skilled, but that doesn't make the viewing experience "better" I feel like NBA games are blurred together and all very similar and like a video game because everyone is too good at shooting. Maybe if they'd get rid of the 3 point line or move it even farther back so the metrics wouldn't favor throwing up 3s as much.

Last edited:
I much prefer college basketball. My order of preference:

1. College - all Pitt games, March Madness, many other ACC conference games, select good teams from other conferences.

2. NBA Playoffs - watch only teams with select interesting players.

3. NBA regular season -- watch very few games just to see a Pitt player or how some highly touted rookie is doing.
I do like when the NBA Finals go to a Game 7, I will watch that.

Reactions: TreesHero
Yes because the "scoring rate" if that's even a term is too high. They score on basically every possession. Its too easy. Like a video game.
That's why I've mentioned strictly following all rules and actually use college rules and college refs, how about repeal the rules in the last few years that favor offense too much.

WOW the results at this point 35-6 in favor of watching college basketball. I guess on this board anyways, I'm mainstream and the NBA watchers are the unicorns :)

THIS^^^ so SMF "gets it" at least what I think when watching games. YES, I KNOW, NBA players are way more skilled, but that doesn't make the viewing experience "better" I feel like NBA games are blurred together and all very similar and like a video game because everyone is too good at shooting. Maybe if they'd get rid of the 3 point line or move it even farther back so the metrics wouldn't favor throwing up 3s as much.
You should watch college women hoops since you like fundamentals

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The NBA is like the movie ConAir. Lots of action, crashes, explosions, but at some point I want it to end or slow down.

I have to admit last week I was watching the East final, and there was this sequence where the Pacers kept on rebounding their misses, and it was like a 2 minute sequence where it was just brick after brick after brick and I was wondering if someone would pull it back out and run a set. Nope. Brick. Brick. Brick. It was like a bad 6th grade team.

Reactions: Pitt79
On a college basketball message board with no local NBA team ?
Ya don’t say
I did say 'on this board', but I really didn't even think it would be this large a margin even here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT