ADVERTISEMENT

Does Capel learn his lesson and strengthen the OOC schedule

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
Really seems to be the biggest thing holding us back. Think I saw we have the 340th ranked OOC schedule this year.

Think it’s time to realize that playing these horrible programs as a.sirt if quasi pre season warm up is frowned upon by the committee.

What make me worry is that not too long ago on one of the post game shows he talked about how tough our non-conference schedule was this year and that we weren't getting enough credit for it.

Hopefully that was just something to say on the radio, rather than something he truly believes. Because if he truly believes that then nothing is likely to change.

Reactions: BFo8
We kinda had some bad luck too. WVU and Mizzou were tourney teams last year and both are down this year. Had we beaten Florida we would’ve played Baylor instead of Oregon State.
Typically, at WVU is a Quad 1 game and Missouri a Quad 2 game. That’s bad luck.

We need to add another big name Quad 1/2 opponent to the non conference and then do our best to schedule another school that will fall within Quad 2 that should be a win.

Really seems to be the biggest thing holding us back. Think I saw we have the 340th ranked OOC schedule this year.

Think it’s time to realize that playing these horrible programs as a.sirt if quasi pre season warm up is frowned upon by the committee.
Kind of hard to blame him this season. with the new backcourt, he wanted as many sure wins as possible.

Reactions: dirge999

Who knew Missouri and WVU were going to be very bad this year?

I mean he knew he was turning over most starters. Scheduling tougher was not in the best interest of the team this year. It is what it is.

Reactions: gary2
WVU and Missouri isn't his fault. But he does need to add 1 more Q1 opportunity in the non-con. Also needs to game a little more. Play a couple winnable road games. In my research, I found that Utah State got credit for a Q2 neutral site win vs San Fran in Salt Lake City. I mean its 84 miles from SLC but there is a heavy alumni base in SLC for USU so that crowd had to be 99% USU, 1% San Fran. The MWC is good at this. Pitt and the ACC need to be better.

This is more of an ACC problem than a Pitt problem. You cant be a Pitt and go through the ACC with so few Q1 opportunities. Remember in November I said that if Pitt loses at home to Clemson, they wont make the NCAA Tournament. And we may not. I knew the math. I thought we needed 3-4 Q1s and there werent enough on the schedule. The ACC needs to hire a scheduling consultant to game NET. Or just let me do it. I'd have 8 in there next year.

Last edited:
So BB is the opposite of FB when it comes to scheduling OC games?

Also, how were we to know that WV would stink so bad?

Typically, at WVU is a Quad 1 game and Missouri a Quad 2 game. That’s bad luck.

We need to add another big name Quad 1/2 opponent to the non conference and then do our best to schedule another school that will fall within Quad 2 that should be a win.
Does the Quad stuff change during the season, or is it what it was the day you played? Like if we beat Mizzou and they are expected to be good, but then suck in their conference does the Quad number drop?

Does the Quad stuff change during the season, or is it what it was the day you played? Like if we beat Mizzou and they are expected to be good, but then suck in their conference does the Quad number drop?
It changes throughout the season.

Louisville has absolutely crushed the ACC the past two years. Louisville, I mean this is friggin Louisville, has turned into DePaul. This is the equivalent of Pitt football 93-96.

Next year they are in that Greenbrier tourney with Wisky and UCF. I imagine the 4th team would be someone like Marshall. I never understood how Pitt and UK never got together for an annual OOC game with Cal's ties here.

Louisville has absolutely crushed the ACC the past two years. Louisville, I mean this is friggin Louisville, has turned into DePaul. This is the equivalent of Pitt football 93-96.

Next year they are in that Greenbrier tourney with Wisky and UCF. I imagine the 4th team would be someone like Marshall. I never understood how Pitt and UK never got together for an annual OOC game with Cal's ties here.
It’s supposed to be a bigger name school for the Greenbrier.

Don't need to make it tougher, just smarter. He needs to take a class taught by Dixon.

WVU and Missouri isn't his fault. But he does need to add 1 more Q1 opportunity in the non-con. Also needs to game a little more. Play a couple winnable road games. In my research, I found that Utah State got credit for a Q2 neutral site win vs San Fran in Salt Lake City. I mean its 84 miles from SLC but there is a heavy alumni base in SLC for USU so that crowd had to be 99% USU, 1% San Fran. The MWC is good at this. Pitt and the ACC need to be better.

This is more of an ACC problem than a Pitt problem. You cant be a Pitt and go through the ACC with so few Q1 opportunities. Remember in November I said that if Pitt loses at home to Clemson, they wont make the NCAA Tournament. And we may not. I knew the math. I thought we needed 3-4 Q1s and there werent enough on the schedule. The ACC needs to hire a scheduling consultant to game NET. Or just let me do it. I'd have 8 in there next year.
If there was only a team within 5 miles who just had 2-20 win seasons in a row. And I don't mean South Carolina State. Maybe Duquesne will have the last laugh.

Reactions: Parkview57
Kind of hard to blame him this season. with the new backcourt, he wanted as many sure wins as possible.
Sadly, he might have to find replacements this summer.

Duquesne on a neutral site would have been a Q2 game and I am sure revenues from a game at PPG Paints arena would be higher than the 7500 in the Pete we got playing IUPUFW. Even if it is not. If the difference of Pitt selling 9,000 (easily for the City Game because local college basketball fans would go) is under $25,000 it is a no brainer.

Reactions: wolf0717
Oh, And our nonconference strength of schedule may improve to the high 200s instead of the 300s. Which helps NET as well.

Don't need to make it tougher, just smarter. He needs to take a class taught by Dixon.

If you are going to play a MAAC team, don't play a bad one like Canisius, play a "good" one like Quinnipiac or Fairfield. If you are going to play a CAA team, play a "good" one like Hofstra or Wilmington instead of a bad one like NC A&T. If you are going to play a MEAC team like South Carolina State, make sure that you have someone close by who can smack you upside the head and bring you to your senses.

If you want to play one team like that, say as the opening game of the season, then sure, go ahead. But you can't play as many of them as we did and not think that your non-conference SOS isn't going to suck.

The whole system is laughable. I'm tired of hearing the same ole typical BS from some who want to discredit our 21 win season. Oh but the ACC is down blah blah blah. On to DC H2P!!!!!
And yet all but a few bracketologists have us in their brackets and barely in. So you can call the system laughable but it is the system.

The whole system is laughable. I'm tired of hearing the same ole typical BS from some who want to discredit our 21 win season. Oh but the ACC is down blah blah blah. On to DC H2P!!!!!
I think Pitt should be in. That has nothing to do with playing a neutral site game 1 mile from campus that is easily winnable to game the system. It’s just smart scheduling

Reactions: Franb
If you are going to play a MAAC team, don't play a bad one like Canisius, play a "good" one like Quinnipiac or Fairfield. If you are going to play a CAA team, play a "good" one like Hofstra or Wilmington instead of a bad one like NC A&T. If you are going to play a MEAC team like South Carolina State, make sure that you have someone close by who can smack you upside the head and bring you to your senses.

If you want to play one team like that, say as the opening game of the season, then sure, go ahead. But you can't play as many of them as we did and not think that your non-conference SOS isn't going to suck.

You cant play MEAC teams. Better to play PSAC. Need to play more D2 games like the MWC.

Reactions: buckage

Exactly. Nothing wrong with playing a horizon-type team, just needs to be the best Horizon-type team

Still Fairfield would still be a Q4 win this year. Barely but still a Q4 and most likely will always be. I understand playing these teams but not 7 of eleven your nonconference games. Should be one in season tournament (2 or 3), Two home and home - WVU and another P6 school - criminal that no Big East team is on our schedule. ACC Big 10 Challenge but if not included do another home and home with P6 school.
Still Fairfield would still be a Q4 win this year. Barely but still a Q4 and most likely will always be. I understand playing these teams but not 7 of eleven your nonconference games. Should be one in season tournament (2 or 3), Two home and home - WVU and another P6 school - criminal that no Big East team is on our schedule. ACC Big 10 Challenge but if not included do another home and home with P6 school.

Sorry. Something screwy happened. Not Joe's response. My response:
Fairfield would still be a Q4 game barely but still and most likely will always be. Playing those schools make some sense but not seven of 11. The 11 should be the in season tournament - 2 games. Two home and homes - WVU and another P6 school - criminal no Big East team is on the schedule - 5. ACC Big 10 challenge is 6 and Duquesne neutral is 7. That's what a tournament team plays.

We are 17-1 against Duquesne the last 18 times we've played them. And 27-3 in the last 30. And 36-4 in the last 40.

That includes games for the last 42 years.
And keep beating them and pick up better wins than Canisus. And even is Dambot leaves they still probably will be around 160s or maybe a young guy gets them in 90s or better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT