ADVERTISEMENT

Does Capel learn his lesson and strengthen the OOC schedule

It does something that no game against Jacksonville or Purdue Fort Wayne ever does. It gets people in this town talking about Pitt basketball, even if just for a couple of days.
If Dambtot leaves and Duquesne turns into a Quad 4 opponent which they probably will, then it does nothing. They’ve had 8 winning seasons over the last 30 years and Dambrot has been their best HC by far.

If we are going to play the what if game, then WV and Missouri should have been Quad 1/2 Games. Those 2 had a bigger impact than not playing Duquesne.
WVU would have been if Huggins didn't leave and then there's a good chance we lose that game. How's that for a what if? We scheduled 7 cupcakes out of 10 possible games (in season tournament only counts as one for scheduling purposes) and people are complaining about us being left out.

Guess what you are going to hear next Sunday. We look at who they played, Where they played and if they won. There's a reason SOS is on the team sheets the tournament committee uses. And sorry guys. The ACC doesn't help us. The league is struggling so Pitt administration can't count on ACC wins meaning something like the majority of Big 12 or Big East games.

Sorry. Something screwy happened. Not Joe's response. My response:
Fairfield would still be a Q4 game barely but still and most likely will always be. Playing those schools make some sense but not seven of 11. The 11 should be the in season tournament - 2 games. Two home and homes - WVU and another P6 school - criminal no Big East team is on the schedule - 5. ACC Big 10 challenge is 6 and Duquesne neutral is 7. That's what a tournament team plays.

Yeah, that was weird.

I'm not saying that playing someone like Fairfield helps your quads, but playing the 100th or 120th or 150th team is a lot better for your strength of schedule than playing 300 or 320 or 350 is.

And here's another reality check. Pitt isn't attractive to the in season tournaments. We don't travel and haven't been ranked at the end of the year in how long? Plus, for now, only one team from each conference can go to Hawaii or Battle for Atlantis type tournaments. And honestly with our recent record where would you rank us for desirability among the other ACC schools. Same problem we have in football and thus we are selected over for a lot of the bowls.

Yeah, that was weird.

I'm not saying that playing someone like Fairfield helps your quads, but playing the 100th or 120th or 150th team is a lot better for your strength of schedule than playing 300 or 320 or 350 is.
I am agreeing with you but you take a chance those schools will be above the 160 NET and still a Q4. Better for SOS but still a Q4 win.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
And here's another reality check. Pitt isn't attractive to the in season tournaments. We don't travel and haven't been ranked at the end of the year in how long? Plus, for now, only one team from each conference can go to Hawaii or Battle for Atlantis type tournaments. And honestly with our recent record where would you rank us for desirability among the other ACC schools. Same problem we have in football and thus we are selected over for a lot of the bowls.
Troll alert!!!! Get lost and quit being your miserable self. U only show up to down success.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Bowl games are decided upon conference tie ins. Comprehend?? U really have added so much insight since 2014. Congrats 👏 👏 👏

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Troll alert!!!! Get lost and quit being your miserable self. U only show up to down success.
It's a reality check. What did I say that was wrong. Do I have to go over and pull quotes from the football complaining about being passed over and ending up in El Paso? We had the preseason NIT recently. But what else? Love the Greenbrier tournament but that's new and we're probably in due to location (WVU and Penn State already have commitments to 2027.).

Truth is we are on the outside looking in. Poor scheduling, bad luck (Missouri and WVU tanking) and ACC middling along is the reason.

WVU would have been if Huggins didn't leave and then there's a good chance we lose that game. How's that for a what if? We scheduled 7 cupcakes out of 10 possible games (in season tournament only counts as one for scheduling purposes) and people are complaining about us being left out.

Guess what you are going to hear next Sunday. We look at who they played, Where they played and if they won. There's a reason SOS is on the team sheets the tournament committee uses. And sorry guys. The ACC doesn't help us. The league is struggling so Pitt administration can't count on ACC wins meaning something like the majority of Big 12 or Big East games.
You might swallow Huggins, but the players on the court were the difference. Pitt wins.

Why does SOS only apply to Pitt in this argument? Northwestern is a shoe in, but their SOS sucks and they lost to Chicago St.

The ACC is better than the MWC and it isn’t even close. Nobody in the MWC comes even close to UNC and Duke. Clemson and VT went a combined 3-0 against their 2nd best teams. Why are they locked into 6 bids?

Reactions: gary2 and pierre93
You might swallow Huggins, but the players on the court were the difference. Pitt wins.

Why does SOS only apply to Pitt in this argument? Northwestern is a shoe in, but their SOS sucks and they lost to Chicago St.

The ACC is better than the MWC and it isn’t even close. Why are they locked into 6 bids?
Please don't confuse him with facts. A diehard Pitt fan would say I hope next Sunday our name gets called for the tourney. Some just don't want to admit we have a good team. Very sad individuals indeed. H2P!!!

Reactions: gary2

The ACC is better than the MWC and it isn’t even close. Nobody in the MWC comes even close to UNC and Duke. Clemson and VT went a combined 3-0 against their 2nd best teams. Why are they locked into 6 bids?
A few others on here swallow the drunkin fool as well. Water seeks its own level. I think they're in Columbus lol 😆

Reduce the number of home gimmies and add more neutral games

Pitt needs to limit its OOC home games. They arent helpful and they dont sell tickets. Need to be more creative like

Pitt vs St. Bonaventure in Erie

Play a cupcake in Johnstown as part of a doubleheader vs UPJ

Go on the road at YSU, Akron, Kent, or Cleveland St.

Go on the road at Duq or RMU

Pitt needs to limit its OOC home games. They arent helpful and they dont sell tickets. Need to be more creative like

Pitt vs St. Bonaventure in Erie

Play a cupcake in Johnstown as part of a doubleheader vs UPJ

Go on the road at YSU, Akron, Kent, or Cleveland St.

Go on the road at Duq or RMU
U need to watch more wvcc games.

Really seems to be the biggest thing holding us back. Think I saw we have the 340th ranked OOC schedule this year.

Think it’s time to realize that playing these horrible programs as a.sirt if quasi pre season warm up is frowned upon by the committee.
yep, he should have kept up with Huggy's drinking schedule...

20 ACC games. Two games as part of Preseason NIT (Greenbrier will be the same next year). One ACC/SEC challenge. 1 H&H with WVU. That leaves 7 games. We will always have a creampuff the Saturday after finals. Few top 8 conference teams will want to travel that date as well. Down to six. So these are the six games that might keep us out of the tournament? Swapping in Duquesne and playing an A-10/MAC team on the road is going to change it from 344 to 150?

I would change a couple of things...I would find an A-10 type team....GW, Hofstra, in a metro area and play them on the road the game before Christmas. Doesn't the team go home for Christmas? No students and maybe a couple of thousand fans at that home game. Play a road game with good airport connections so the team can head home after. The week before T-giving...play two MAC games...one on the road, one at home. Winnable ones.
I doubt this changes much but it would help. Pitt is reaping the perfect storm, so to speak. Double dip on Louisville, WVU being bad, Mizzou tanking the SEC sked (supposed to be at least on the bubble this year).

How about playing a Big 5 team at the Palestra or the Wells Fargo Center one year and a decent NYC area team (St John's Hofstra or Seton Hall) at MSG, Brooklyn or North Jersey the other year? I think you add in the neutral game with Duquense every year and we would be fine.I would sacrifice two poorly attended Q4 games at the Pete any day for something like that. Especially since I'm a Philly area alumnus and we don't get the road games coming here like we used to in the old Big East

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
20 ACC games. Two games as part of Preseason NIT (Greenbrier will be the same next year). One ACC/SEC challenge. 1 H&H with WVU. That leaves 7 games. We will always have a creampuff the Saturday after finals. Few top 8 conference teams will want to travel that date as well. Down to six. So these are the six games that might keep us out of the tournament? Swapping in Duquesne and playing an A-10/MAC team on the road is going to change it from 344 to 150?

I would change a couple of things...I would find an A-10 type team....GW, Hofstra, in a metro area and play them on the road the game before Christmas. Doesn't the team go home for Christmas? No students and maybe a couple of thousand fans at that home game. Play a road game with good airport connections so the team can head home after. The week before T-giving...play two MAC games...one on the road, one at home. Winnable ones.
I doubt this changes much but it would help. Pitt is reaping the perfect storm, so to speak. Double dip on Louisville, WVU being bad, Mizzou tanking the SEC sked (supposed to be at least on the bubble this year).

Pitt should schedule very winnable road games in areas where there is a large alumni base

2 for 1 vs Temple, Drexel, St. Joe's, LaSalle, Penn, Drexel

2 for 1 vs George Washington, George Mason, Towson, UMBC

2 for 1 vs YSU, Cleveland St, Akron, Kent. May want to stay away from Akron/Kent. Might lose on the road

2 for 1 vs Princeton, Monmouth

2 for 1 vs Fordham, Iona, Hofstra, Stony Brook

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT