ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Allar PSU

No take backs on Christian Velleuuuuu (as Duzz calls him)

They may wish Vellueeeee never left. Drew Allar is not an RPO QB. He is not a statue but he also is not suited to get those 3rd downs with his feet

Still confused….🤔

Yeah. I’m not sure how anybody could say, “that’s not an RPO” QB.

There are QBs that struggle with the mental side of whether to handle off and pull it.

But you don’t know that until they really start playing the game.

There’s not a QB that physically his game just isn’t RPO. Most every QB can come to the line and count the numbers in the box. Most every QB can read a single defender.

They might not get the read right *every* time. But they aren’t going to get it wrong every time either. And the throws themselves usually aren’t complicated when you get the read right.

Yeah. I’m not sure how anybody could say, “that’s not an RPO” QB.

There are QBs that struggle with the mental side of whether to handle off and pull it.

But you don’t know that until they really start playing the game.

There’s not a QB that physically his game just isn’t RPO. Most every QB can come to the line and count the numbers in the box. Most every QB can read a single defender.

They might not get the read right *every* time. But they aren’t going to get it wrong every time either. And the throws themselves usually aren’t complicated when you get the read right.

I think you're generally right but you do need to be quick and accurate to be an RPO QB. A good one, anyway. Someone like Carson Wentz really doesn't have the release or the accuracy to be a good RPO. He's going to throw too many incompletions or be inaccurate too often so the WR can't make a good gain with YAC.

The RPO often works bc there are more guys who can throw a great 3 yard slant than a 30 yard out. Carson Wentz got draft #2 because he can do the latter.

I didn’t think Slovis was bad at RPO.
Guys with completion percentages in the 50's are bad RPO guys...The "P" here should be short near gimme completed passes at least 7 out of 10 times so if you are not solidly in the 60's overall you are f'ing up...also QBs when both break down should be able to run. Sothis chimed in at an FDR-like -68 yards rushing last year. Patti was +72 in one game. Capish?

Guys with completion percentages in the 50's are bad RPO guys...The "P" here should be short near gimme completed passes at least 7 out of 10 times so if you are not solidly in the 60's overall you are f'ing up...also QBs when both break down should be able to run. Sothis chimed in at an FDR-like -68 yards rushing last year. Patti was +72 in one game. Capish?

Not really.

Why would an RPO breakdown?

It’s either:

1. Pre-snap count the numbers in the box and do A or B.

That play isn’t going to “breakdown.” It might not work. But it’s not going to require a QB run.

2. Read a single defender post snap and hand off or throw into the space the defender no longer occupies.

That play ain’t going to “breakdown.” It might not work. But it’s not going to require a QB run.

FCJ’s offense didn’t have a ton of RPO.

But Harrell did at USC. And Slovis was one of the most accurate passers within 10 yards in all of college football while at USC. He did just fine running RPO.

Not really.

Why would an RPO breakdown?

It’s either:

1. Pre-snap count the numbers in the box and do A or B.

That play isn’t going to “breakdown.” It might not work. But it’s not going to require a QB run.

2. Read a single defender post snap and hand off or throw into the space the defender no longer occupies.

That play ain’t going to “breakdown.” It might not work. But it’s not going to require a QB run.

FCJ’s offense didn’t have a ton of RPO.

But Harrell did at USC. And Slovis was one of the most accurate passers within 10 yards in all of college football while at USC. He did just fine running RPO.
was ... powerful word...as in Pitt was wrong to pick this stiff up..

1a. It might not work often means a QB made the wrong read...ie, what not good RPO QB's do with regularity. Thus my percentage analogy. Every play may require a QB run...No college QB should have negative yards for a season...

was ... powerful word...as in Pitt was wrong to pick this stiff up..

1a. It might not work often means a QB made the wrong read...ie, what not good RPO QB's do with regularity. Thus my percentage analogy. Every play may require a QB run...No college QB should have negative yards for a season...

Sure. But there’s nothing unique about an RPO that requires a QB run.

In fact it’s the opposite. Because the RPO happens so quickly, either before the snap or immediately after the snap, it probably requires a running QB less than any other play.

When I say the RPO might not work, I mean the QB made the wrong read and handed the ball to the RB and the play goes nowhere. Or he should have handed it to the RB because the OLB didn’t bite down on the illusion of the handoff, and so now you’ve thrown it into occupied space.

Those plays either work or they don’t. But either way the ball is out of the QBs hands within seconds. So his ability to run is a non-factor on those plays.

Last edited:
I rewatched the 2022 BYB the other day. Slovis had a number of runs where he made the first down and kept drives alive in that game. He also made some very nice throws.
That hit and aftermath from the Tennessee game may have affected him the rest of the season. Maybe portions of his brain stopped working, or he got scared. But he was a different QB in the WVU game.

Penn State fans seem to be expecting Allar to be elite. We'll see how he looks this season.

I rewatched the 2022 BYB the other day. Slovis had a number of runs where he made the first down and kept drives alive in that game. He also made some very nice throws.
That hit and aftermath from the Tennessee game may have affected him the rest of the season. Maybe portions of his brain stopped working, or he got scared. But he was a different QB in the WVU game.

He seemed to get worse as the season went on. Getting hit was part of it, but I blame Cignetti most of all. He should have been pulled. This team would have done at least as well with Patti at QB.

It will be interesting to see how Slovis performs at BYU. He can thrown the ball, but they will need to simplify the decision making for him.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Who is Allar? Is he another irrelevant PissU player that shouldn't even be playing football if he's at PissU? And why are we discussing some irrelevant program like PissU?

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
I think you're generally right but you do need to be quick and accurate to be an RPO QB. A good one, anyway. Someone like Carson Wentz really doesn't have the release or the accuracy to be a good RPO. He's going to throw too many incompletions or be inaccurate too often so the WR can't make a good gain with YAC.

The RPO often works bc there are more guys who can throw a great 3 yard slant than a 30 yard out. Carson Wentz got draft #2 because he can do the latter.
I've seen him play in person in HS. Allar is outstanding in the situation that you describe. Quick release, cannon arm and very accurate. He has some issues when he has to read a defense and scan through his progressions. That is what I observed seeing him play in HS. Fortunately for him, 80% of the time his first option was open. Unfortunately for him, I doubt JimmyFranks is going to teach him how to read defenses and go through his progressions.

I've seen him play in person in HS. Allar is outstanding in the situation that you describe. Quick release, cannon arm and very accurate. He has some issues when he has to read a defense and scan through his progressions. That is what I observed seeing him play in HS. Fortunately for him, 80% of the time his first option was open. Unfortunately for him, I doubt JimmyFranks is going to teach him how to read defenses and go through his progressions.

PSU doesn’t have a heavy “progression” based offense.

It’s real heavy on RPO. Maybe as heavy an RPO package as anybody. Which can have its good and bad. But not a ton of professions for the QB to go through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT