ADVERTISEMENT

Duzz a MSU coaching candidate

Well regardless of who has more inherent advantages, we can still be those schools. It's only been in the last five years or so that we distinctly passed GT as a football program in the time I've been following college football.

At the end of the day, I don't see Narduzzi as any better or worse than Fuente, Hafley, Collins, etc. He's kind of in the the "Average Joe but he's our Average Joe" category. Those guys may catch breaks and stick around for a while of they may get fired after a handful of years. But I don't want to start over in the portal era. You'll lose half your roster, and once you're down there is no guarantee you'll get back up off the mat for a long time.

So what if we lose half our roster? That could be a good thing. Guys like Bartholomew are transferring anyway. Who on this roster is better than any random dude in the portal we can get.

Start with proven good coaches. Meyer and Peterson. When you consider that there are billions at stake and that it could help get into one of the big two conferences, then it sholdn't be a tough decision for Pitt.
If Urban Meyer wanted to come back to college coaching, he could have literally any job he wants. Pretty sure Pitt and a big bag of money wouldn't even get a sniff from him.

Saban retiring at Bama on the other hand might get Urban interested in jumping back in.....

Last edited:
If Urban Meyer wanted to come back to college coaching, he could have literally any job he wants. Pretty sure Pitt and a bog bag of money wouldn't even get a sniff from him.

Saban retiring at Bama on the other hand......

Could he, though?

If Urban Meyer wanted to come back to college coaching, he could have literally any job he wants. Pretty sure Pitt and a bog bag of money wouldn't even get a sniff from him.

Saban retiring at Bama on the other hand......

Even if he offered to coach Pitt for a bargain price, he would be viewed as too dirty by the Pitt admih

Start with proven good coaches. Meyer and Peterson. When you consider that there are billions at stake and that it could help get into one of the big two conferences, then it sholdn't be a tough decision for Pitt.
Not sure if you are joking with Meyer and Peterson but any established HC that Pitt would pursue would come with a list of demands on assistant coach salary pool, recruiting budget, and probably a few other things I am not sure Pitt would have the money for or the willingness to pay for.

People discussing Saban and Meyer as reasonable options tells me all I need to see about this entire discussion…lol
Nobody was suggesting Saban but even saying Urb is like when people were throwing around Greg Marshall and Brad Stevens to coach the hoop team.

Totally delusional.

People discussing Saban and Meyer as reasonable options tells me all I need to see about this entire discussion…lol
For clarification, my mention of Saban was intended to mean that that’s the type of job that might get Meyer to jump back in the game. I can see how that wasn’t clear from the way I stated it.

Only a blithering moron would ever think Saban would EVER coach Pitt. There are some blithering morons on this board, I’m not one of them.

If that ball is thrown inside it brings the safety (who was headed that way) into play.

If the ball was thrown to the inside ON TIME he'd have been in the end zone dancing before the safety would have any chance to get into the play.

We have become so used to late, poorly thrown balls these last couple years that maybe it's hard to remember what a well thrown, on time ball looks like.

Not sure if you are joking with Meyer and Peterson but any established HC that Pitt would pursue would come with a list of demands on assistant coach salary pool, recruiting budget, and probably a few other things I am not sure Pitt would have the money for or the willingness to pay for.

I said START with them. And yes, offer them the budget they would need. Pitt is going to be at a big disadvantage for a bunch of years to the tune of hundreds of millions until the ACC tv deal ends. And that's the best case scenario. Worst case is complete conference implosion and even less revenue. Pitt needs to invest to have a great team. Get into the playoffs. And then become a more attractive option to the BIG or SEC. If we do nothing (which is what Pitt will do) then it's the end of the football program being the cash generator for the other sports. Might as well become the University of Chicago if that's the case.

I’d feel bad for my Marshall buddy if we ended up poaching him, but he checks off quite a few boxes:

• Prior head coaching experience with a solid record, including a 3-0 start this season
• Multiple assistant coaching stops at P5 schools, including under Saban at Alabama (would have good connections for a coaching staff)
• Was an elite recruiter as a P5 assistant (seven 5* commitments, plus others such as Saquon Barkley)

Plus, he’s only 40 years old. I wouldn’t mind that at all.
I would like a head coach who likes offense, isn't best friends with terrible OCs, gets along with a talented OC who might decide to stay. Narduzzi is a jerk. Don't let the door hit his big butt on the way out. Wanting him to stay is a Yinzer thing. Afraid of change. Just afraid.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I said START with them. And yes, offer them the budget they would need. Pitt is going to be at a big disadvantage for a bunch of years to the tune of hundreds of millions until the ACC tv deal ends. And that's the best case scenario. Worst case is complete conference implosion and even less revenue. Pitt needs to invest to have a great team. Get into the playoffs. And then become a more attractive option to the BIG or SEC. If we do nothing (which is what Pitt will do) then it's the end of the football program being the cash generator for the other sports. Might as well become the University of Chicago if that's the case.
Pitt needed to be investing long before now if they wanted a make sure they could get into the Big Ten (which isn't happening) or the SEC. Unfortunately winning games has very little to do with expansion and all that matters is how much revenue you can generate for the conference which is why even if Pitt was making the playoff they would not get into the Big Ten.

No matter what happens in conference expansion there will be a 3rd conference and it will get between 30-40 million a year like the Big 12 is getting now, ESPN and Fox will need inventory to fill up the week.

Pitt needed to be investing long before now if they wanted a make sure they could get into the Big Ten (which isn't happening) or the SEC. Unfortunately winning games has very little to do with expansion and all that matters is how much revenue you can generate for the conference which is why even if Pitt was making the playoff they would not get into the Big Ten.

No matter what happens in conference expansion there will be a 3rd conference and it will get between 30-40 million a year like the Big 12 is getting now, ESPN and Fox will need inventory to fill up the week.

Third conference will get tens of millions less per year. Maybe even less than half. That's a LOT of money to be leaving in the table.

And I agree. The dipshits at Pitt chose not to invest in football in the past and it will cost them the big leagues for all college sports in about ten years. They should at least try in football, because without being in the big two, improving all the others venues won't make a difference. Pitt's other sports programs will ALL be outspent and won't be able to compete. It's going to be minor leagues NCAA rec sports, with new facilities.

Don’t think this will happen due to the crappy start of the season but could duzz use this to leverage more money or years to his contract? If so it may sour the relationship with heather anyway. Any chance both heather and duzz leave in next 12 months and we are back again to total rebuild?

Third conference will get tens of millions less per year. Maybe even less than half. That's a LOT of money to be leaving in the table.

And I agree. The dipshits at Pitt chose not to invest in football in the past and it will cost them the big leagues for all college sports in about ten years. They should at least try in football, because without being in the big two, improving all the others venues won't make a difference. Pitt's other sports programs will ALL be outspent and won't be able to compete. It's going to be minor leagues NCAA rec sports, with new facilities.
I think Pitt’s secret hope is that the big football programs will split completely off, but leave the current conference structure more or less intact for other sports. Pitt can easily drop football, a sport the school has never felt good about, and still play “big time” basketball and (most importantly) the favored “Olympic” sports against schools that are acceptably well known. Pitt isn’t going to accept its crown jewel Volleyball and soccer teams playing the likes of Slippery Rock and Bethany.

I’m not sure they get the financial challenge that will be faced playing big name schools with more money to spend on sports, especially those that have backing of revenue-rich football; maybe they think the government will mandate the rich schools to pay “equity penalties” to the likes of Pitt (if this sounds like the Pittsburgh Pirates model for wresting money from the richer MLB teams, you have been paying attention).

The thread on “apathy” and “disappointment” should be merged with this one because a lot of this goes hand in hand with why many of us are despondent. Hell maybe the team was depressed with all the relentless Conference schism sh1t this summer as well

As I said, Pitt should contact the SEC and ask "what do you want?" Do whatever the SEC tells you. New stadium? 20K SEC visitor seats at Acrisure (maybe even in prime sections)? No TV revenue? Whatever. You ask them what they want and you do it.

As I said, Pitt should contact the SEC and ask "what do you want?" Do whatever the SEC tells you. New stadium? 20K SEC visitor seats at Acrisure (maybe even in prime sections)? No TV revenue? Whatever. You ask them what they want and you do it.
They probably also need one of both UNC/NC State and VT/UVA to agree to make it happen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT