ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Timberlake...**updated

Your problem is you are living in the past. The present Big East had 1 guy get drafted last year, went 1-4 in the NCAA tournament, and has 1 program worth a damn. Sean Miller left Xavier for a PAC 12 school because it is better. Chris Mack left for an ACC school because it is better. The Big East is a mediocre conference that is battling the AAC for the 6th best overall basketball conference. Pitt would be battling Villanova every year for the BE title if they stayed with Dixon as the HC in the current BE format. They went to the ACC and immediately dropped to 8th in the conference. You are proving my point. The ONLY program that could switch to a big time conference, and maintain their strength in basketball is Villanova. Your beloved Ed Cooley and Kevin Willard would sink like the Titantic in the ACC.

Miller and Mack didn't leave for Washington State and Clemson. They went to elite jobs. Those jobs just happened to be in the Pac-12 and ACC.

That said, Cooley and Willard have a bunch of 10-8 finishes in a conference that isn't very good. They've won 1 NCAAT game between them? Color me unimpressed. If Cooley turned down Michigan to stay at Providence that was a big mistake.

Cooley was smart enough to know he needed to stay in his lane. You are just proving my point with Pitt. We went from being one of the better programs in the Big East to a mediocre one in the ACC with the same head coach. Dixon dominated guys like Ed Cooley and Kevin Willard when he was coaching in the Big East. Pitt and Villanova would be going head to head every year if Dixon was the HC. Dixon would be a guaranteed HOF coach going against these current BE coaches.
So your argument is that we are shitty in our new conference but you don’t understand how someone could pick a winning program in another. Got it

Miller and Mack didn't leave for Washington State and Clemson. They went to elite jobs. Those jobs just happened to be in the Pac-12 and ACC.

That said, Cooley and Willard have a bunch of 10-8 finishes in a conference that isn't very good. They've won 1 NCAAT game between them? Color me unimpressed. If Cooley turned down Michigan to stay at Providence that was a big mistake.
Cooley stayed at Providence not because he wanted to stay in his lane. Because they committed more resources, including a huge pay raise to a guy in his hometown and where he’s coached his whole life. The reason it was smart was because anyone other than Howard would’ve been killed by their alums

Stop saying P5. The big east will have two programs who won 3 championships in the last decade as of next year. The big east is a power conference and until you realize that you will always be wrong. Xavier is a better program, job, etc than Pitt. Do you think Chris Mack would’ve left Xavier for Pitt? He wouldn’t have.
You also clearly don’t have a grip that Pitt is seen as a doormat. The programs were talking about going to the ncaa tournament every single year.

Xavier's Boosters man - they get shite done.

You should give up btw, doesn't matter who's right.

Big East makes most sense for a DC kid so I’m not holding my breath

How the eff does the Big East make sense for a DC kid? So he can play 1 game per year in the city? His family cant make the 2 hour drive to Charlottesville for a real college basketball environment?

The Big East is a decent league and I know kids dont care about competition levels but the ACC is way, way better. The Big East is Villanova + 8 teams who are about as good as the ACC's 7th through 13th place teams.....plus DePaul.

How the eff does the Big East make sense for a DC kid? So he can play 1 game per year in the city? His family cant make the 2 hour drive to Charlottesville for a real college basketball environment?

The Big East is a decent league and I know kids dont care about competition levels but the ACC is way, way better. The Big East is Villanova + 8 teams who are about as good as the ACC's 7th through 13th place teams.....plus DePaul.

He should go to Pitt so they can see him play at UVA once every 2 years?

the competition level is the most laughable thing I don’t know why people keep saying that. Would you rather play for a bottom 5 team in the ACC and get your ass handed to you or a team that can compete to win its league?

DC can get to many locales very easily thru different methods of transportation in the big east.

the competition level is the most laughable thing I don’t know why people keep saying that. Would you rather play for a bottom 5 team in the ACC and get your ass handed to you or a team that can compete to win its league?

DC can get to many locales very easily thru different methods of transportation in the big east.
You do realize there is more than 1 school in the ACC that is within driving distance of DC. Correct?

We are predicted to finish 10th preseason, and a good class could easily put us in contention for the NCAA the following season.

I said basketball players dont care about playing against the best competition. Football players do for whatever reason which is why the SEC and Big Ten already recruit well.

I'm not saying Timberlake should go to Pitt necessarily. Just that the "Big East makes sense for a DC kid" makes no sense at all. No recruit will base a decision off of playing 4 games 20-30 minutes away from their house versus playing 2-3 games (in Charlottesville) if he goes to Pitt. Pitt is also much closer to home than his other choices.....but I know kids don't care about that either.

I said basketball players dont care about playing against the best competition. Football players do for whatever reason which is why the SEC and Big Ten already recruit well.

I'm not saying Timberlake should go to Pitt necessarily. Just that the "Big East makes sense for a DC kid" makes no sense at all. No recruit will base a decision off of playing 4 games 20-30 minutes away from their house versus playing 2-3 games (in Charlottesville) if he goes to Pitt. Pitt is also much closer to home than his other choices.....but I know kids don't care about that either.
Seton hall is the closest of his finalists

Your problem is you are living in the past. The present Big East had 1 guy get drafted last year, went 1-4 in the NCAA tournament, and has 1 program worth a damn. Sean Miller left Xavier for a PAC 12 school because it is better. Chris Mack left for an ACC school because it is better. The Big East is a mediocre conference that is battling the AAC for the 6th best overall basketball conference. Pitt would be battling Villanova every year for the BE title if they stayed with Dixon as the HC in the current BE format. They went to the ACC and immediately dropped to 8th in the conference. You are proving my point. The ONLY program that could switch to a big time conference, and maintain their strength in basketball is Villanova. Your beloved Ed Cooley and Kevin Willard would sink like the Titantic in the ACC.

Arizona and Louisville are not your everyday programs.

Seton hall is the closest of his finalists
If Pitt is out of it, then yes. Otherwise, Pitt and SH are both about 4 hours away. Little difference in time, and probably hit more traffic on the way to SH.

Duke, UNC, NC State, VT, and Pitt - All of them are about 4 hrs away from Washington DC.

UVA is a little over 2 hrs away from DC.

2021 - ACC Tournament will be held in DC.

Last edited:

Villanova with Jay Wright couldn't compete with the top of the old Big East teams. At best they were the 6th best program in the BE at the time of implosion. No team or coach has benefited from the college carousel more than Villanova and Jay Wright.

Villanova with Jay Wright couldn't compete with the top of the old Big East teams. At best they were the 6th best program in the BE at the time of implosion. No team or coach has benefited from the college carousel more than Villanova and Jay Wright.

No doubt. There's no Natty's had the Big East remained what it was. Jay Wright successfully turned Villanova into the UNLV of the old Big West. They play a bunch of 6, 7, 8 seeds in conference since there's no other top teams, which gives them a great RPI to get a 1 or 2 seed then coast through the NCAA Tournament.

He would not be thinking that Pitt is a bottom 5 ACC team in the very near future. he would go to Pitt because he loves the coach and the school and thinks the team is going to crush it. your title says pitt insider, but your comments seem to be more anti-Pitt. Inside spy ::) seriously, maybe I have rose colored glasses and you are just logical and balanced, but seems like you don't believe in the potential of the program.

Timberlake would not consider Pitt a bottom 5 team in the ACC if it had Timberlake. I'm sure he would feel Pitt would be pretty good with him on the team.

He would not be thinking that Pitt is a bottom 5 ACC team in the very near future. he would go to Pitt because he loves the coach and the school and thinks the team is going to crush it. your title says pitt insider, but your comments seem to be more anti-Pitt. Inside spy ::) seriously, maybe I have rose colored glasses and you are just logical and balanced, but seems like you don't believe in the potential of the program.

I believe in the potential of the program because I’ve seen it. But we’ve since been passed on a lot of what makes Pitt special in basketball by our peers.

And I’m just living in reality because we had a lackluster recruiting class last year. 51st and 10th in the ACC is not good enough for this head coach.

we’re gonna have to follow the senator clay Davis method apparently : crawl, walk, then run. Hopefully we don’t get popped before we can run

Reactions: Ski11585
I believe in the potential of the program because I’ve seen it. But we’ve since been passed on a lot of what makes Pitt special in basketball by our peers.

And I’m just living in reality because we had a lackluster recruiting class last year. 51st and 10th in the ACC is not good enough for this head coach.

we’re gonna have to follow the senator clay Davis method apparently : crawl, walk, then run. Hopefully we don’t get popped before we can run

I’m also going to add in that the landscape has changed since 2011. Kids no longer want to compete. Jump from aau team to aau team. Hs to Hs. It’s the reason you see duke get all 3 top prospects at same time. It’s sad but that’s just the nature of it.

Then you have the hanger ons who want to game the system by making sure kids don’t get exposed. A kid can go coast at some schools and get drafted where they may have to score 18-19 and carry a load at another school.

Sometimes it’s not about whether the kid CAN do it, but SHOULD he have to? Go to Maryland and have to carry them for 22 PPG every single damn night or go to Kentucky and average 11 and be a lottery pick. That’s where my mindset is coming from

I’m also going to add in that the landscape has changed since 2011. Kids no longer want to compete. Jump from aau team to aau team. Hs to Hs. It’s the reason you see duke get all 3 top prospects at same time. It’s sad but that’s just the nature of it.

Then you have the hanger ons who want to game the system by making sure kids don’t get exposed. A kid can go coast at some schools and get drafted where they may have to score 18-19 and carry a load at another school.

Sometimes it’s not about whether the kid CAN do it, but SHOULD he have to? Go to Maryland and have to carry them for 22 PPG every single damn night or go to Kentucky and average 11 and be a lottery pick. That’s where my mindset is coming from
Interesting take. I guess there is something to that for the cream of the crop. If I am an Nba GM, and I feel a kid is like that, wants to coast, I am not picking him. no how, no way. I guess I am old fashioned.

MD has been a good program for awhile. UK is an elite program. I completely understand why a recruit would attend either school. Dissing Pitt and going out of your way to build up programs like SH or Providence doesn’t make sense to me.

Timberlake will probably select SH because his good friend is going there, and Skinn has a very good relationship with the family. So you don’t have to come back and brag about being right.

Reactions: DnTanna07
Interesting take. I guess there is something to that for the cream of the crop. If I am an Nba GM, and I feel a kid is like that, wants to coast, I am not picking him. no how, no way. I guess I am old fashioned.

How is that any different from KD going to Golden State? Who wants to give 110% and still be middle of the pack? Sign up to play with other bona fide stars and you can afford to have some off nights and still win a ring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT