ADVERTISEMENT

Eating crow

KanePA

Freshman
May 6, 2017
i was really critical of Narduzzi and the overall recruiting when Pitt was in the 60’s with their recruiting ranking. Now that the dust has settled, I have learned to never jump down this staffs throat about recruiting ranking in September. Excellent close by this staff and hopefully a class that we can build momentum for the future.

yeah 35(7th in acc) isn't bad at all especially with 20 recruits. Average star ranking was above teams like wvu and nc state which were ranked just ahead. Ideally we would be doing a bit better at home and the classes would be around 20-25 but if they take 23 or 25 chances are they end up in the top 30. Not a ton of difference between 20 and 40 it will mainly come down to how this kids develope, stay on the field(health and stay out of trouble) and x's and o's. Pitt can be a 20 to 30 ranked team with this type of class, maybe a bit higher if they have good QB play. I don't see a top 10 type of team with these types of classes but hopefully PN can stabilize things and win 9 or 10, then start pulling in higher rated classes

It’s 45th on the Composite..
8th in ACC...

That is good enough to maintain where we have been at under Chryst and Duzz. It needs to improve if we want to take that next step and compete for the ACC coastal and/or ACC. I expect it will. It is difficult to recruit coming off of a 5 win season. More wins next year with Pickett emerging as a legitimate Qb will lead to more 4 stars in 2019 class.

Reactions: passedout
The difference from HCPC to HCPN is Pat recruits the whole roster and fills deficiencies.

That is good enough to maintain where we have been at under Chryst and Duzz. It needs to improve if we want to take that next step and compete for the ACC coastal and/or ACC. I expect it will. It is difficult to recruit coming off of a 5 win season. More wins next year with Pickett emerging as a legitimate Qb will lead to more 4 stars in 2019 class.

I’ve seen as low as 35 and as high as 49 with multiple in between.

Actually I take that back, it looks like ESPN currently has Pitt outside the top 50. Well screw them then.

So Pitt fans are suppose to be happy with 35th and 7th in ACC. Sorry but I would like to see a higher ranking.

Good last two gets however.
Not happy but satisfied. Could it be better yeah, but 35th with 20 recruits isn't bad. We were right there with wvu, OK st and Nc state which is were we should expect to be, anything more is bonus. To me this class is like a 8-4 season, probably where Pitt should expect to be but not something to jump for joy about.

Seems about right for Pitt right now. Coach them up. Get better. Get higher rated recruits that are a good fit. Get even better and keep it up. I predict higher recruiting rankings in the next 2 years but don't give a damn if Pitt us winning.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Only the top 7 or so teams bring in top 10 class every year. Pitt can be a top 25 team recruiting at its current level.

HCPC was recruiting at a high level in only a couple of offensive positions. My point was that Pat recruits at that level almost across the board.

All that said, HCPC looks like he's finally putting together a very good class for 2019.

The truth is unless you are consistently bringing in top 10 classes you are going to have deficiencies on your roster. That is not unique to PC.

Only the top 7 or so teams bring in top 10 class every year. Pitt can be a top 25 team recruiting at its current level.

HCPC was recruiting at a high level in only a couple of offensive positions. My point was that Pat recruits at that level almost across the board.

All that said, HCPC looks like he's finally putting together a very good class for 2019.
Recruiting in the Bottom Half of the ACC will not yield Top 25 teams. Narduzzi hasn’t proven to be a good enough coach to accomplish that..

Very true. Dude can’t even beat a top 25 team on the road, let alone any teams ranked in the top 2!
Well. You seem to be hung up on a game or two over 2 years. I am more interested in successful SEASONS... How did our game vs UNC who was missing 13 starters and had 1 win go Fireballz? Or do you not count that?

Reactions: PittPoker
In other words, you are focused on the negative things. Have fun with that.

Pitt was one of youngest teams in the country playing without their starting QB so yeah things aren't going to go perfectly.

Successful seasons start with playing a much weaker OOC schedule than Pitt plays.

Well. You seem to be hung up on a game or two over 2 years. I am more interested in successful SEASONS... How did our game vs UNC who was missing 13 starters and had 1 win go Fireballz? Or do you not count that?

I am always more interested in the "entire" recruiting class which includes JUCO and Grad transfers in. However, the recruiting class ratings game only includes incoming freshmen classes.

We finished over 50th on ESPN. 46th on 247.

Narduzzi isn't getting who he wants. He is getting about 10 wants down the line

He offers groups of kids in January. Those kids pick elsewhere

He offers kids in April. Those kids pick elsewhere

He offers kids in June. He gets a couple.

He starts throwing out desperation offers after the season and talks to kids who get processed by better programs

We beat out Syracuse for kids and yinz treat it like we just topped off a top 10 class
You should take the hint from Chris and get lost. Go get a life.

THE list of this years recruits has about 7-9 kids that are just a fraction of a point out of 4 star ville. There are about several thousand kids that play football in this country and graduate every year. Just because some one at Rivals, Scout or some other site decides there can
only be 100 5 stars and 200 4 stars don't mean crap .

Last edited:
What a difference 70 miles makes in some instances.My Mountaineers came in about 35th in most rankings and I'm not happy with it.Holgersen has to do better if we wants to get into the top tier of the Big 12.Contrary to popular belief on this board recruiting is important to winning games over a long haul.There are only so many diamonds in the rough out there guys.Holgy just plain can't recruit high school kids.I'm afraid Narduzzi is the same for you guys.I'm glad your happy with Narduzzi's recruiting I'm not with Holgy.I want studs not players that the top teams don't want because I want to win and win now.Guys the best ranking site is 24/7 by far.

What a difference 70 miles makes in some instances.My Mountaineers came in about 35th in most rankings and I'm not happy with it.Holgersen has to do better if we wants to get into the top tier of the Big 12.Contrary to popular belief on this board recruiting is important to winning games over a long haul.There are only so many diamonds in the rough out there guys.Holgy just plain can't recruit high school kids.I'm afraid Narduzzi is the same for you guys.I'm glad your happy with Narduzzi's recruiting I'm not with Holgy.I want studs not players that the top teams don't want because I want to win and win now.Guys the best ranking site is 24/7 by far.
WVU would have been in the National Title game 10 years if Pitt did not crush your hopes. That WV team had a bunch of average recruiting classes according to the ratings.

Reactions: Pitt-Chains
101 I hate to admit it but you are correct about the Big East but it was fun playing in it.Now it's the Big12 and the Acc and recruiting rankings in the 40s won't cut it.

Pitt has to start winning more games. Pitt has poor attendance at home games and it makes for a poor atmosphere. The student section is not strong or they leave early. The kids aren't supporting the team the past two years or more. Yet fans expect them to land all the five and four star recruits. The coach has to get players that fit the system and develop into good football payers. Pitt has to win more games then more players will look at them. Hopefully the crowds get better.

Reactions: cbpitt2
THE list of this years recruits has about 7-9 kids that are just a fraction of a point out of 4 star ville. There are about several thousand kids that play football in this country and graduate every year. Just because some one at Rivals, Scout or some other site decides there can
only be 100 5 stars and 200 4 stars don't mean crap .
Do you realize it’s NOT REALLY A FRACTION of a point?

Reactions: h2p_5150 and Stemfu
WVU would have been in the National Title game 10 years if Pitt did not crush your hopes. That WV team had a bunch of average recruiting classes according to the ratings.

And being in what was left of the Big East, they played a bunch of teams with a bunch of average recruiting classes.

ESPN doesn't rate or count them. The others do.

Explains, in part, why ESPN has Pitt's class lower rated than the others.

Irrespective of any of the ratings, I prefer to look at each Pitt class more broadly and longer term (as the Pitt coaches do) based on all newcomers (i.e., HS recruits, JUCOs, Grad Transfers and recruited preferred walk-ons) and how they fill needs both for immediate help in areas of need and for the longer term (i.e., athletic development players not expected to contribute for 1-3 years until after they are physically developed) and players who may provide extra longer-term depth (i.e., preferred walk-ons).

Many fans are, IMHO, too focused on which incoming freshmen will be immediate impact players when the reality is that most freshman (typically except for 4-5 star skill position players) need a minimum of a redshirt year before they will be ready to contribute beyond the scout team. IMO, the more quality depth at certain positions the less need their is to recruit immediate impact players at those positions. It is often also harder to sell a potential immediate impact player to come to your school if he plays a position which already has quality depth (unless you are a team like an Alabama or an Ohio State that can convince 4-5 star recruits to come in and wait their turn).

So, with the current Pitt recruiting cycle (including transfers), IMHO, we should focus on how we seem to have met (or not met) immediate and longer term needs for each position. It appears to me that the only position we may have fallen short at meeting the coaching staff's perceived needs (based on Narduzzi's presser remarks) is DE where we seemingly didn't land any immediate impact players only getting guys with athleticism and not yet filled out frames who wont provide immediate help (although they have potential to be very good by their redshirt sophmore or redshirt junior years when they have become physically men and are no longer physically HS kids).

Reactions: sunshinedynomite
Explains, in part, why ESPN has Pitt's class lower rated than the others.

Irrespective of any of the ratings, I prefer to look at each Pitt class more broadly and longer term (as the Pitt coaches do) based on all newcomers (i.e., HS recruits, JUCOs, Grad Transfers and recruited preferred walk-ons) and how they fill needs both for immediate help in areas of need and for the longer term (i.e., athletic development players not expected to contribute for 1-3 years until after they are physically developed) and players who may provide extra longer-term depth (i.e., preferred walk-ons).

Many fans are, IMHO, too focused on which incoming freshmen will be immediate impact players when the reality is that most freshman (typically except for 4-5 star skill position players) need a minimum of a redshirt year before they will be ready to contribute beyond the scout team. IMO, the more quality depth at certain positions the less need their is to recruit immediate impact players at those positions. It is often also harder to sell a potential immediate impact player to come to your school if he plays a position which already has quality depth (unless you are a team like an Alabama or an Ohio State that can convince 4-5 star recruits to come in and wait their turn).

So, with the current Pitt recruiting cycle (including transfers), IMHO, we should focus on how we seem to have met (or not met) immediate and longer term needs for each position. It appears to me that the only position we may have fallen short at meeting the coaching staff's perceived needs (based on Narduzzi's presser remarks) is DE where we seemingly didn't land any immediate impact players only getting guys with athleticism and not yet filled out frames who wont provide immediate help (although they have potential to be very good by their redshirt sophmore or redshirt junior years when they have become physically men and are no longer physically HS kids).
That was a waste of time.

Reactions: SempleFest06
That was a waste of time.

Undoubtedly, since recruiting our recruiting "fan boys" are so fixated on star gazing that they will always be disappointed in Pitt recruiting classes that have lower ratings than Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame and most especially PSU.

Most likely, since recruiting "fan boys" are so fixated on star gazing.
I’m fixated on Winning seasons. 5-7 is what I saw last year.

Talent wins. You don’t have a clue. Losers only post what you did about recruiting. You are exactly why this program is where it’s at, loser mentality..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT