ADVERTISEMENT

Efton Reid public service announcement

PittMan2003

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2016
Not trying to be one of our overly negative posters here...

But expect the worst (for your sanity's sake). Every time I get some hope we are going to get him, I remember the seemingly 50 or more times where we were a runner up or close for a good player. Keep your expectations low.

Not trying to be one of our overly negative posters here...

But expect the worst (for your sanity's sake). Every time I get some hope we are going to get him, I remember the seemingly 50 or more times where we were a runner up or close for a good player. Keep your expectations low.
Good advice

Reactions: TWPitt
I am hoping more for a Hugley dismissal. Legal shennanigans are accepted by everyone so Pitt will be happy if a plea gets announced where the kid has to do public service by cleaning Schenley park for a day. That seems like a much higher winnable bet than Efton Reid choosing Pitt IN ONE WEEKS TIME. OH NO. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

I am hoping more for a Hugley dismissal. Legal shennanigans are accepted by everyone so Pitt will be happy if a plea gets announced where the kid has to do public service by cleaning Schenley park for a day. That seems like a much higher winnable bet than Efton Reid choosing Pitt IN ONE WEEKS TIME. OH NO. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

There is no guarantee that Hughley would stay at Pitt, even if his case is dismissed.

Reid is following Milan on twitter, the only coach. His mom has followed Pitt BB, etc. There are at least indicators suggesting it as a possibility rather than trying to lure transfers to make an impulsive commitment. Hugley had his preliminary date postponed again until May. Maybe they do not have enough evidence to proceed to trial. Maybe they have more than enough and they are trying to plea down. Either way, it is not good to keep postponing. You want this stuff dealt with ASAP.

I think so too but we all thought West would too...... This one is bigger literally and figuratively.
Well reading the tea leaves back obviously it seems like if West was a done deal should’ve been done quicker.

Reading the tea leaves in Reid’s recruitment Pitt is the only one constantly mentioned. Some say it’s LSU or Pitt, some say Pitt or OSU I had heard Pitt or Maryland before QW committed there.

Unless he and his mom have been perpetrating the greatest troll of Pitt fans of all time... things seem headed Pitt’s way.

I think we sold him on a role playing 30 mpg in the ACC and letting him play like a modern 5. LSU and OSU can’t give him that. We had Terrell Brown at points play outside the paint, shoot jumpers from the mid range, things like that - and I don’t think it’s a hard sell to say “you can do 10x of the stuff that Brown could do.” Even if I question whether he has the skillset to be a one and done, I think you can make a compelling argument that Pitt gives him the best chance of developing into being one.

I also think he likes Pitt. His mentor’s a Steeler fan, I think his game plays well in the ACC, Milan has deep relationships down in Richmond, and he’s been the priority recruit for 3+ years now. The relationship is pretty deep.

Well reading the tea leaves back obviously it seems like if West was a done deal should’ve been done quicker.

Reading the tea leaves in Reid’s recruitment Pitt is the only one constantly mentioned. Some say it’s LSU or Pitt, some say Pitt or OSU I had heard Pitt or Maryland before QW committed there.

Unless he and his mom have been perpetrating the greatest troll of Pitt fans of all time... things seem headed Pitt’s way.
Yeah but there’s some LsU tea leaves now. Never a good sign. But at LSU, no matter what they tell him or give him, he’s just another big down there. Here Capel isn’t promising anything as all players have to work but the only thing keeping Reid from 30 minutes and significant accelerated growth on the court is an injury or foul trouble.

Reactions: pierre93 and TWPitt
I think Reid chooses Pitt
I definitely would not predict Reid to Pitt as Capel has been about 0 for 50 on recruits at this level but I am more confident about him for some reason. I want to believe Capel realizes this could make or break his career and will find a way to get him.

Something I was thinking...How is he going to get better when he is dominating Max Amadason and some walk on center in practice every day!?!?!

Robert Foster.

I’ll believe Pitt can land a consensus 5 star national top 25 player when he signs a Pitt LOI, and not for one second until that moment. Until then I give this about a 5% chance of actually happening.

Well the three times we've done it in the last 15 years were all big men so that's a good sign. Right?

Well the three times we've done it in the last 15 years were all big men so that's a good sign. Right?
I’m talking about this version of Pitt basketball, not Pitt of 10-plus years ago. It was hard/rare enough then.

By the way, I count two guys that fit that description in the past 15 years-Adams and Taylor. Who’s the third? I assume you’re not characterizing Blair as a consensus 5 star top 25 guy, because as good as he was in college, he wasn’t that level of prospect out of HS. . He also grew up walking distance from campus and had a very strong grandma that also lived a short walk from Pitt who overruled his parents at the last second on his college decision-I think he was a bit of a special case.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I’m talking about this version of Pitt basketball, not Pitt of 10-plus years ago. It was hard/rare enough then.

By the way, I count two guys that fit that description in the past 15 years-Adams and Taylor. Who’s the third? I assume you’re not characterizing Blair as a consensus 5 star top 25 guy, because as good as he was in college, he wasn’t that level of prospect out of HS. . He also grew up walking distance from campus and had a very strong grandma that also lived a short walk from Pitt who overruled his parents at the last second on his college decision-I think he was a bit of a special case.
I know. I was joking.

Im counting Birch as the third.

Damn! I always forget that guy was ever at Pitt. I still think things might be different with the program to this day if he had stuck around and developed for 3-4 years. That really screwed Dixon.

And right on cue, Khem Birch was waived today by Orlando after 4 years there and is expected to sign with the Raptors.

Reactions: HOF Coach

If your discounting Blair , then you need to discount Adams too . He was a special case were JD knew his brother or something like that .
But your forgetting Pitt‘s best legitimate recruit in Birch . Well maybe not 100% legit !

If your discounting Blair , then you need to discount Adams too . He was a special case were JD knew his brother or something like that .
But your forgetting Pitt‘s best legitimate recruit in Birch . Well maybe not 100% legit !
But Adams was a consensus top 20 guy.

Reactions: Ski11585
Waived or quit in a huff?

Waived. He was playing reasonably well for Orlando, but he's an UFA after this year and they'd prefer to give his minutes to Mo Bamba and Wendell Carter. There's no point in keeping him for depth and it's unlikely he had any trade value.

You can't get much closer than this- under-rated at #32.

You're telling us to be more negative?

You must be new around here. This board is DT trying his best to be positive (if not optimistic), SMF's trolling psy-ops masterpieces, and the rest of us trying to kick a football as Lucy yet again pulls it away.

Reactions: DnTanna07
The NBA trade deadline was around two weeks ago, so at this point no UFAs-to-be have any trade value.

Right, which is why I said it was unlikely he had any trade value or they would have moved him for something at the deadline. The point is that he wasn't waived because he was playing or acting poorly.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Waived or quit in a huff?

Most Pitt fans have a justified bad opinion of Birch, but since leaving Pitt he has totally changed his persona. He was a warrior at UNLV and a locker room leader. Reading the articles about his release from the Magic it seems as if he was a team leader there as well, despite his limited playing time.

For him to have lasted this long in the NBA as a 6’9” center with no real offensive skills is a testament to his toughness and team first work ethic.

He was higher than that , but he was a gift from Heaven ( or New Zealand ) for JD .

Before Adams even came to Pitt he had been listed as a lottery pick in the draft. No matter what he may have said publicly he was a very obvious one and done.

Article on 5 possible teams (Pitt, OSU, UVA, NC St, FL St). He has 4 ACC schools and one B10, no LSU. His guess is Pitt or OSU.

The article with his coach someone posted said he valued relationship with HC and style of play. We've had no bigs of consequence for me to gauge style of play for a big in Capel's offense. In fact, we've struck out on everyone that was recruited. Maybe a board expert can elaborate on style of play for a big in Capel's offense.

Most Pitt fans have a justified bad opinion of Birch, but since leaving Pitt he has totally changed his persona. He was a warrior at UNLV and a locker room leader. Reading the articles about his release from the Magic it seems as if he was a team leader there as well, despite his limited playing time.

For him to have lasted this long in the NBA as a 6’9” center with no real offensive skills is a testament to his toughness and team first work ethic.
I’ve told this account before , but up at Greentree I talked twice with Khem seemed like a nice quite shy kid , but watched twice as other Pitt players were getting on his shit for no apparent reason . Was it just upperclassman hazing the new kid or was it jealously of all the attention he was getting ? Seemed mean spirited to me , but who knows , but his early departure speaks volumes . Stayed at UNLV for two yrs , would’ve been nice had he stayed at Pitt for three yrs .

Had JD been able to keep him at Pitt the unanswered question is would other highly rated guys have followed and did losing him cost JD shots at other elite players . ( Adams was a gift ) Can hear it “ Pitt couldn’t keep Birch for more than a handful of games why would you want to go there , we know how to treat special players ....” Wasn’t there , but I partially blame JD for Birch’s early departure. Treating everyone the same seems like a wonderful concept , but some guys need more attention then others and remember these are still kids . In the real world people with elite skills in any endeavor get treated differently.

Article on 5 possible teams (Pitt, OSU, UVA, NC St, FL St). He has 4 ACC schools and one B10, no LSU. His guess is Pitt or OSU.

The article with his coach someone posted said he valued relationship with HC and style of play. We've had no bigs of consequence for me to gauge style of play for a big in Capel's offense. In fact, we've struck out on everyone that was recruited. Maybe a board expert can elaborate on style of play for a big in Capel's offense.
NC State is a finalist? What? Never heard them with him. No way we beat NC State. They select, not recruit.....and go .500 in league

NC State is a finalist? What? Never heard them with him. No way we beat NC State. They select, not recruit.....and go .500 in league
Here we go again, throwing crap against the wall.

BTW I asked you a question the other day and am still waiting for your reply.

Did you watch Soriano play to say he would be another Coulibaly?

Reactions: pittjas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT