ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Holstein - Bama QB transfer

Reactions: columbus mike
I hope he doesn't come to Pitt. I've already heard enough of the cow references.
You herd enough?

image-asset.jpeg

Pitt has been on him for months. I'd gladly take him as a developmental lottery ticket, but in no way would I head into 2024 with he and Yarnell. I want to aim for a bigger fish as the starter this season.

Bud Elliot has said on Twitter that the Alabama coaches never viewed him as a quarterback, as well as other coaches at a "big time QB camp," and that he himself thinks he should change positions to H-back. That sounds like what we just had, lol.

I'd much rather get an established G5 starter. Or even an FCS starter. I don't think you need a huge arm to man this offense.

Reactions: jaebree422
Bud Elliot has said on Twitter that the Alabama coaches never viewed him as a quarterback, as well as other coaches at a "big time QB camp," and that he himself thinks he should change positions to H-back. That sounds like what we just had, lol.

I'd much rather get an established G5 starter. Or even an FCS starter. I don't think you need a huge arm to man this offense.

They get a kid like this, he gets every chance to be a QB. The upside is way too high for a team like ours to be switching him to H-back. At least not until they invest several years of development. He's got elite measurables.

good lottery ticket to stash away.

Ideally brought in with a more experienced QB that maybe has a lower ceiling but higher floor to allow for Holstein to develop.

They get a kid like this, he gets every chance to be a QB. The upside is way too high for a team like ours to be switching him to H-back. At least not until they invest several years of development. He's got elite measurables.

Eh, there are always former 4 and 5-stars quarterbacks to be had. Max Browne, JT Daniels, etc. I've seen enough to not drool at the site of every one of them who enters. Drew Allar, Kyle McCord, JJ McCarthy, Cade Klubnik, DJ U.... meh, meh, meh, meh, meh. Highly-rated QBS are hit or miss. Enough people have questioned his abilities (I mean, Alabama was playing musical QB chairs the first half of the season and he, albeit a true freshman, wasn't even a part of that) that I'm skeptical. Like I said, I'm fine with bringing him on in hopes of striking future gold, but I believe we need more proven starter for this coming season. I'm not 100% sold on what we have on the roster already, especially when we're switching to a completely different offense.

Eh, there are always former 4 and 5-stars quarterbacks to be had. Max Browne, JT Daniels, etc. I've seen enough to not drool at the site of every one of them who enters. Drew Allar, Kyle McCord, JJ McCarthy, Cade Klubnik, DJ U.... meh, meh, meh, meh, meh. Highly-rated QBS are hit or miss. Enough people have questioned his abilities (I mean, Alabama was playing musical QB chairs the first half of the season and he, albeit a true freshman, wasn't even a part of that) that I'm skeptical. Like I said, I'm fine with bringing him on in hopes of striking future gold, but I believe we need more proven starter for this coming season. I'm not 100% sold on what we have on the roster already, especially when we're switching to a completely different offense.
I'm not ready to put a true freshman who hasn't played yet into that list. And frankly, most of those guys would be an upgrade to what Pitt currently has.

Completely agree that all QBs are hit or miss, but I'd much rather start with one who has his pedigree, age, and hasn't had an opportunity yet. He's like landing a middle 4* QB recruit, just one year removed from HS.

Maybe Alabama can afford to move him to H-back, but Pitt sure as heck won't. It's not like Tommy Rees is the guy that pops into my head when I think of QB guru.

I'm not ready to put a true freshman who hasn't played yet into that list. And frankly, most of those guys would be an upgrade to what Pitt currently has.

Completely agree that all QBs are hit or miss, but I'd much rather start with one who has his pedigree, age, and hasn't had an opportunity yet. He's like landing a middle 4* QB recruit, just one year removed from HS.

Maybe Alabama can afford to move him to H-back, but Pitt sure as heck won't. It's not like Tommy Rees is the guy that pops into my head when I think of QB guru.

I definitely like the addition; don't get me wrong. I just think that we've done a good enough job in the portal that 8 wins isn't out of the realm of possibilities with good QB play. I sure hope we find it and aren't hamstrung like we were last season. I'm not as big on Yarnell as most on here seem to be. But we shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT