ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Holstein - Bama QB transfer

Agree, who the hell knows though who will be better in the new system ? Him or Yarnell.
And that’s where Pitt has to rely heavily on Bell’s talent and skill as an OC: game planner/play caller and accurate evaluator of how a particular QB will translate to operate and execute his system to its best advantage.

I expect the offense to be considerably different schematically from that of FCJ. Different tempo; timing; passing tree, for example. (Also hope the run game doesn't’ emphasize as much running inside the tackles on 1st & 2nd down. Especially when it isn’t working!🙄)

Would expect the ball to come out of the QB’s hands much quicker on a more frequently consistent basis. Some pocket movement. Try to get receivers in open space quickly and get the ball to them fast and on the move So they can run after the catch.

FCJ’s passing O plan appeared to be more about receivers getting downfield and to a precise spot and the QB getting the ball there at the exact right time and with high precision placement. Often required deeper dropback by the QB and the OL needing to protect longer. Seemed the receivers getting the necessary separation and the ball being delivered on time and accurately was problematic all last season.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Would expect the ball to come out of the QB’s hands much quicker on a more frequently consistent basis. Some pocket movement. Try to get receivers in open space quickly and get the ball to them fast and on the move So they can run after the catch.
As for receivers, I believe you're going to see more of the smaller, quick, get me in space type guys. I doubt they'll be as fixated on big guys like Means, Reynolds, Wayne, Copeland, etc. Not to say we won't chase higher rated big WRs, but there are a lot of under recruited smaller guys who can put up numbers in these offenses.

Still curious if there's any chance Devin Whitlock can contribute in the new offense. I'd love to see him get the ball in space.

As for receivers, I believe you're going to see more of the smaller, quick, get me in space type guys. I doubt they'll be as fixated on big guys like Means, Reynolds, Wayne, Copeland, etc. Not to say we won't chase higher rated big WRs, but there are a lot of under recruited smaller guys who can put up numbers in these offenses.

Still curious if there's any chance Devin Whitlock can contribute in the new offense. I'd love to see him get the ball in space.
Agree for the most part. But nothing wrong with getting a bigger wide receiver as long as he has the requisite foot, speed, and quickness. And still think Bell will utilize a tight end. Maybe even two at a time on occasion.

But yes, I certainly think this will be more of a speed oriented system and approach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT