ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN, Broadcasters Are Said To Confront Football Ad Slump, Still Dominates But How Long?, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Just the Facts Madam, why College Football will have to go to better Match-Ups to retain Audiences and not schedule Lightweights like the Big Ten does to bolsters more Winning at the Top by beating more Big Ten Bottom Feeders to produce overrated Top 25 Teams for Rankings such as what happen in 2016. The NFL is doing it now as Highlighted InRed, in time College Football will follow. Facts are better Match-Ups Higher ratings & Ad Income.
Excerpts & Video ESPN Still Dominates:

TV networks including ESPN are bracing for a drop in advertising revenue for football games in the coming season, which could drag down sales growth for sports broadcasts overall, advertising and television executives say...................That’s a blow to media giants that rely on sports for a growing share of their business. Sports were long thought to be a safe haven for TV networks because viewers savored the live viewing experience and were more likely to sit through commercials, but the erosion of the NFL’s audience last season has thrown that assumption into question. ESPN, Fox, NBC, CBS and the NFL Network all carry pro football............Still, many of the most-watched shows on TV last year were sports, which accounted for 31 percent of national TV advertising in 2016, up from 22 percent in 2011, according to Kantar Media. ESPN has been a major contributor to Walt Disney Co.’s profit, while 21st Century Fox Inc., parent of the Fox network, has invested heavily in sports. Virtually all of the largest media companies, including CBS Corp., NBC owner Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Inc., have costly long-term contracts to air sports.........But pro football is the most-watched programming in the U.S. and secures the largest ad deals. TV viewership of the NFL fell 8 percent last year, according to Nielsen data, hurt by poor matchups and competition from the presidential election, along with negative publicity surrounding head concussions and player protests during the national anthem........NBC typically sets the market with “Sunday Night Football,” the most-watched regularly scheduled prime-time program........Against that backdrop, auto companies are spending less as sales retreat from record levels, while drug companies pull back due to new generic medicines, according to buyers and TV executives.....The NFL has crammed popular teams into nationally televised night games early in the season, hoping to lift ratings............Aside from the NFL, college football is the biggest sport up for sale at the moment. College ratings were steady last year, but sports networks are offering more games, such as Fox’s Big Ten package, just as advertisers grow more wary. The four broadcast networks -- CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox -- all air college football in the fall, as do more than a dozen cable networks, from ESPN and Fox Sports 1 to the Pac-12 Network...........Competition has forced ESPN, the market leader, to take a more conciliatory approach with its college coverage. With Fox eager to steal viewers and ad sales, ESPN has accepted less than the rate increase it demanded last year, according to people familiar with the matter.............“ESPN is at a crossroads,” Michael Nathanson, an analyst at MoffettNathanson LLC, wrote in a recent report. The audience for ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” shrank 12 percent last season.........The Disney network is trying to shore up its ad business by selling more spots for viewing that occurs outside the home, such as in bars or hotels. Disney plans to introduce a standalone ESPN streaming service this year...........“They’ve lost a ton of money in subscriber fees and they are trying to get that money back,” Schwartz said. “It’s not just them. The entire marketplace is gravitating toward out of home and ESPN is the leader.”
Video & Link:
ESPN Defends Its Position But Bloomberg Article Analysts Differs On ESPN Future Trends:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-said-to-contend-with-football-ad-sales-slump

Can't wait to watch the first ESPN Monday night game between Jacksonville and Cleveland. There in lies one of the big problems facing the NFL. By the time Monday night rolls around people are burned out on football from the weekend and there is usually isn't s good matchup to get viewers.

Reactions: caleco's
Bars never get tired of NFL football. The same thing was said when Thursday Night FB began.

Can't wait to watch the first ESPN Monday night game between Jacksonville and Cleveland. There in lies one of the big problems facing the NFL. By the time Monday night rolls around people are burned out on football from the weekend and there is usually isn't s good matchup to get viewers.

I could watch college ball five days a week. Never tire of it. Give me McNeese vs. Southern on a Wednesday. NFL? My viewing is way down, except for Steeler games, and even then I typically watch only the primetime games on TV, the rest I tune in on the radio. I avoid the NFL studio shows like the plague.

Monday Night Football was created for Gamblers to make back money lost on Games during the Weekends. The League was founded by Bookies for Bookies and has turned into a Big Billion Dollars Bonanza By, Of, & For Bettors and expanded to Fans, Advertisers, and Networks!

Now A Great Free Enterprise National Institution of Entertainment and Money Making and follow College Football where it all began! Newspapers did not put in Odds and Lines for Social Integration but to sell their Publications?

You do know the French & Indian War and Revolutionary War was funded by Lotteri$ run by Ben Franklin and others!

What a country!

Bars never get tired of NFL football. The same thing was said when Thursday Night FB began.
They make a great deal money and pay huge fees doing it. The Steeler's Bar in Cleveland and Charlotte are just some examples and all over the nation the one place counted on to make money and why ESPN will run more advertisements there but not upset the Home Subscribers.

A Radio Station Host in Cleveland once attacked a Cleveland Bar Owner for having a Steeler's Bar and tried to start a Boycott Campaign shaming the Bar to quit being a Steeler's Fan.

The Radio Station lost Ratings, Advertisers, and Listeners and quit that Campaign and ended up actually paying to do Remote Broadcasts there and Cleveland Fans came too, both are doing even better now.

I could watch college ball five days a week. Never tire of it. Give me McNeese vs. Southern on a Wednesday. NFL? My viewing is way down, except for Steeler games, and even then I typically watch only the primetime games on TV, the rest I tune in on the radio. I avoid the NFL studio shows like the plague.
I just started in 2016 Tuning in CFB & NFL Games on the Internet Streaming while at the Computer and listening to the Opponents Broadcasts on Pitt, Penn State, WVU, USC, ND and Steelers. It is great to hear them talk about their Teams and others details about the games being played and what Pitt and others were doing right against them.

I found that more entertaining and have more content and less Commercials then listening to even The Fan and TV! ESPN Commentary, 4 to 5 Minute Commercials during Ref's Instant Replay and missing Plays ended my viewing of them at any Bars and cut out Cable Decades ago.

Millennials Generation Y are also staying away from going to games and why Attendance is down as well and TV makes way more money now. They love the streaming at anytime day or night!

Last edited:
There is rarely an NFL game on in my house. No interest. I go to 99% of Pitt home games and will watch them on the road or other ACC team match ups, but that is about it. I refuse to support theOSU network (ABC) on Saturday Prime time or really any other big ten match up.

Will be interesting as this will be my first Football season without cable. I still can get local stations, but if Pitt isn't on a network, I guess a trip to BWW.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT