ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bubble Watch regarding Pitt

Indiana State and Pitt should both be in. No one wants to see Cream Abdul Jabbar or Blake Hinson get left out. Unfortunately, they could both be left out.
I think the national media is going to do all they can for ISU to get in. Pitt doubtful. Pitt media and athletics department need to keep tweeting and getting in people’s ears about Pitt, Hinson, the road record and their record over the past 15 games.

It's a little concerning that so few bracketologists see Pitt as currently in. Assuming the herd is right, we almost need to beat Wake in the quarters as opposed to a lower seed. Agree that if we make the final we are a lock, but losing in the semis feels more like a 50/50 proposition where I would have otherwise thought 80-90% in.

Nervous+wreck+-+Learn+Funny+Jokes.png

It's a little concerning that so few bracketologists see Pitt as currently in. Assuming the herd is right, we almost need to beat Wake in the quarters as opposed to a lower seed. Agree that if we make the final we are a lock, but losing in the semis feels more like a 50/50 proposition where I would have otherwise thought 80-90% in.

Most bracketologists arent going to have us in if we beat Wake and lose to UNC. But they arent factoring in road wins. I truly believe that if we win Wednesday, we are in. 90%-95% unless all heck breaks loose with bid stealers.

Most bracketologists arent going to have us in if we beat Wake and lose to UNC. But they arent factoring in road wins. I truly believe that if we win Wednesday, we are in. 90%-95% unless all heck breaks loose with bid stealers.
That's where I have been as well, but now I'm less sure. I believe the committee has explicitly said that road wins are a focus, so it's entirely possible that they're in if they beat Wake. However, if they lose to Wake I believe they'll be left out.

Um, what?

Lunardi has Indiana State in the field right now after losing in their conference tournament.

They have the 303rd worst non conference schedule in the country.

They also have 1 Q1 win, 4 Q2 wins, and a Q4 loss.

Pitt has more Q1 wins than that, more Q2 wins than that, and zero Q4 losses. Indiana State has played the 125th overall toughest schedule in the country, which is way worse than Pitt or any ACC team for that matter.

And they are still in per ESPN.

Look, this is all a show right now. It means nothing until the conference tournaments are over.

Indiana State has 1 great thing going for it. Road wins, they have 9 of them. But they still dont have a Duke road win on their resume.

Joe Lunardi is a fraud.
It seems to me Lunardi doesn't weigh all the factors, both positive and negative, to determine if a team is in or out. Instead, he focuses on one factor, either positive or negative, as his reason why a team is in or out.

Nah. It's more just about contradicting the kool-aid guzzling slapdicks on the board that either don't have the intellectual capacity to process any data, facts or information that conflict with what they want to believe, or who simply refuse to do so. I have said about 100 times in these threads that I personally believe that Pitt as the 4 team in the ACC and playing its best right now has earned a spot in the Dance, but due to the way the field is chosen based on specific data and metrics, and since the NET and Quartile system, we are in very real danger of being left out. Like it or not, that's a fact.

Here's a little news flash for you--Lunardi isn't the only "bracketologist" who has Pitt in the first four out--it's pretty much everyone at this point. And almost all have ISU as last four in.

But, you're right, you got me....it's just the same anti-Pitt agenda that has had me on the Pitt message board since Harry G and Crazy Paco invented Pitt message boards back in the dial up days.
I'm aware that most bracketologists don't have Pitt in, and I certainly hope Pitt gets in but will not be shocked if they don't.

None of that makes Lunardi good at his job (unless you feel like his job is making up arbitrary criteria and then selectively applying them to different teams to generate discussion/pageviews, not providing accurate information and drawing logical conclusions).

Why you (and so many others in our supposed fan base) spend so much time talking about teams you obviously have so much disdain for is something I'll never understand.

@Joe the Panther Fan

You want to take this one? Or have you changed your mind regarding the "Net" ranking.

Why would I change my mind on the NET rankings? It measure what the NCAA wants it to measure. You or I or god might not like it, but it's the NCAA's game and the NCAA's tournament, so they are the only ones who count.

Incidentally, you like quoting Torvik all the time. Torvik says that Indiana State is in right now and Pitt is not, and that Indiana State is better than Pitt. Does that cause you to give up on Torvik?

Lunardi identified the reason:

Pitt: 344th at the start of the week. There's never been a bubble team, ever, even close to that, that's gotten in. So I'm not optimistic.
Except he has TCU on with a worse OOC schedule.

But Pitt played two more conference games. They should get to add @cuse and @ncstate to NCSOS weight.

Or maybe they could force us to add Louisville, and then it gets even worse! :)

The ACC is not the only conference that plays 20 conference games. The Big Ten does. The Big East does. The PAC12 does. Several of the mid-majors do as well. I would assume the others are the same, but the ACC changed to 20 because of all the crappy non-conference games that teams were scheduling. The idea was that playing two more ACC teams instead of two more MEAC or ASun would help strengthen team's schedules. Instead what happened was that most teams still play those MEAC or ASun games and they dropped two of their more competitive non-cons instead.

Because lots of coaches like to roll up easy wins.

Reactions: Conemaugh
Kolek not playing for Marquette gives Villanova a path to pick up a resume builder and then another shot at Creighton to lock in a bid. Not good news for us

• Sad
Reactions: Elsalvador
Kolek not playing for Marquette gives Villanova a path to pick up a resume builder and then another shot at Creighton to lock in a bid. Not good news for us

Crap. They could get in at 19-15 if they beat Marquette. I believe there's only been 2 15-loss teams to ever get at-large bids and nobody since Vandy about 20-30 years ago. I'd like to see the stats on teams who get to play DePaul first. I remember UConn won their 5 in 5 by beating DePaul first. Nova gets DePaul today and it seems like its a great practice/scrimmage to get your feet wet into the tournament and give you momentum going forward.

Yeah, but Nova will get preferential treatment over Pitt. Hate them so much.

You mean like what 12 teams would be saying about our win at Duke without 2 of their best players ???

That same type of victory
The head of the committee actually just mentioned how they know Indiana State was missing a starter in 2 of their losses… so you are on to something there

I like Pitt over any of these other bubble teams.

Indiana State
Signature wins: 0
Bad Losses: Illinois State, Southern Illionois

St. Johns
Signature wins: Creighton
Bad Losses: Boston College, Michigan

Virginia:
Signature Wins: Texas A&M
Bal Losses: Virginia Tech, Notre Dame

Colorado
Signature Wins: None
Bad Losses: Florida State, Arizona State, Cal, UCLA

New Mexico
Signature Wins: San Diego St, Utah State
Bad Losses: Air Force

Villanova
Signature Wins: North Carolina, Creighton
Bad Losses: Penn, Drexel, St Joes, Xavier

Iowa
Bad Losses: Michigan, Maryland, Indiana, Penn State

Providence
Signature Wins: Marquette, Creighton
Bad Losses: Xavier, Butler

Memphis
Bad Losses: Tulane Rice

I'm aware that most bracketologists don't have Pitt in, and I certainly hope Pitt gets in but will not be shocked if they don't.

None of that makes Lunardi good at his job (unless you feel like his job is making up arbitrary criteria and then selectively applying them to different teams to generate discussion/pageviews, not providing accurate information and drawing logical conclusions).

Why you (and so many others in our supposed fan base) spend so much time talking about teams you obviously have so much disdain for is something I'll never understand.
He's not a Pitt fan. Just some pathetic loser with no life that is always on here being snide about Pitt. He's a fan of one of those rapey Pretend schools.

Reactions: AllegeneeGenacGenac
Assume Pitt beats Wake and Clemson beats UVA tomorrow. My guess is that UVA would still be in the field ahead of Pitt.

By the way I just saw a stat that Wake is 3-11 away from home while Pitt is 8-5. Yet Wake is ahead of Pitt.

My sense is Wake gets in by beating Pitt and UVA is the default 4th or 5th ACC team selected. The cards are definitely stacked against Pitt and it’s being continuously reinforced by all the ESPN coverage.

Assume Pitt beats Wake and Clemson beats UVA tomorrow. My guess is that UVA would still be in the field ahead of Pitt.

By the way I just saw a stat that Wake is 3-11 away from home while Pitt is 8-5. Yet Wake is ahead of Pitt.

My sense is Wake gets in by beating Pitt and UVA is the default 4th or 5th ACC team selected. The cards are definitely stacked against Pitt and it’s being continuously reinforced by all the ESPN coverage.
I think UVA would be out in the scenario you described. No one seems to be excited about putting them in, and they're near the cut line with us.

I think we're in over Wake and UVA there. if UVA wins tomorrow, it's going to be very close.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe the Colorado State - San Jose State game isn't televised anywhere?

CSU going down would have to make them at least a little nervous on selection Sunday.

I like Pitt over any of these other bubble teams.

Indiana State
Signature wins: 0
Bad Losses: Illinois State, Southern Illionois

St. Johns
Signature wins: Creighton
Bad Losses: Boston College, Michigan

Virginia:
Signature Wins: Texas A&M
Bal Losses: Virginia Tech, Notre Dame

Colorado
Bad Losses: Florida State, Arizona State, Cal, UCLA

New Mexico
Signature Wins: San Diego St, Utah State
Bad Losses: Air Force

Villanova
Signature Wins: North Carolina, Creighton
Bad Losses: Penn, Drexel, St Joes, Xavier

Iowa
Bad Losses: Michigan, Maryland, Indiana, Penn State

Providence
Signature Wins: Marquette, Creighton
Bad Losses: Xavier, Butler

Memphis
Bad Losses: Tulane Rice

Memphis isnt a guarantee to make the new NIT. Why do people keep putting them on the bubble. They absolutely need to win the American tournament.

It seems to me Lunardi doesn't weigh all the factors, both positive and negative, to determine if a team is in or out. Instead, he focuses on one factor, either positive or negative, as his reason why a team is in or out.
Lunardi has a face made for radio.

DePaul up five with 13-1/2 minutes left.

If you are watching this game you can see why DePaul is so bad, even though they are still hanging around (Nova by two at the under four).

Guy for DePaul drives to the basket. The defense completely collapse on him. He kicks it out to a teammate who is wide open at the three point line. But he passes up the open three and kicks it around the perimeter to another teammate who is wide open at the three point line. And he passes up the open three to drive the ball into the lane, where four Villanova defenders are still standing, and throws up a pray that is not answered.

Villanova hits a three when down two with 8.8 seconds left in the game. DePaul does not call time out, races down the court and throws a wild, no look pass for a turnover, and Villanova hangs on for a one point win.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT