ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Keeps Playoff/5+7 format

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
Seems vague but five highest ranked conference champs.
so in all seriousness, a conference like the AAC or mnt west could very conceivably get an auto bid.

ok, i like it, im sure it will go over well with the SEC crowd when a team like UNLV with 3 losses gets an auto bid over a 2 loss LSU, or the big ten when Tulane gets the auto bid over wisconsin..

Unless they break away, the SEC and B10 have a vote and so does the AAC and Mt West...equal voting rights. I believe there are 12 votes, 11 conferences and NDame. Majority rules. They need to guarantee a small conference team or cannot get enough votes.

Not sure if P12 vote continues in future, but for now has 2 teams and 1 vote. B10 has 18 teams and one vote.

According to the ESPN article

"five highest-ranked conference champions"

This is definitely ambiguous!

so in all seriousness, a conference like the AAC or mnt west could very conceivably get an auto bid.

ok, i like it, im sure it will go over well with the SEC crowd when a team like UNLV with 3 losses gets an auto bid over a 2 loss LSU, or the big ten when Tulane gets the auto bid over wisconsin..
I don't think it will work that way. Key word there is top five HIGHEST-RANKED conference champs. Seems unlikely that a three win G5 school would get there but I guess there is a world where that could happen.

I don't think it will work that way. Key word there is top five HIGHEST-RANKED conference champs. Seems unlikely that a three win G5 school would get there but I guess there is a world where that could happen.
The wording is confusing to me. Why is not the P5 Conference Champs? How does the "5 highest rated champs" play into this?

So if the ACC happens to lose a couple teams, but still is one of the top five ranked conferences, then the path is actually easier to get into the playoffs.

i was just looking at last year's Mnt West winner or the AAC. unlv won the mnt west and had 3 losses, of course smu won the aac and will be in the acc so i went with the runner up..

So if the ACC happens to lose a couple teams, but still is one of the top five ranked conferences, then the path is actually easier to get into the playoffs.
There is a reference in the article that the PAC 12 members may have an easier route with less teams

There is a reference in the article that the PAC 12 members may have an easier route with less teams
i must be missing something. correct me if im wrong but arent these teams gone, starting this fall, like 2024 which is in 7 months.

Wash/usc/ucla/oregon to big 10
az state/col/utah big 12 and Cal and stanford in the acc.

Isnt this happening? I feel like im wrong since people are talking about the Pac 12 like it still exists..

i am so confused right now.

As long as they keep the 5+7 long term. That could change in the future as the SEC and BIG have said numerous times that they'd like the 12 highest rated teams.

i must be missing something. correct me if im wrong but arent these teams gone, starting this fall, like 2024 which is in 7 months.

Isnt this happening? I feel like im wrong since people are talking about the Pac 12 like it still exists..

They have 2 years to exist with Wst and Ore st. They can rebuild with that name (say they and the Mtn West merge and are called teh Pac 12. But they have a 2 year window to figure that out. So yes, they still exist as an entity right now, even with 2 members. That can change.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

The rules give them a 2 year exception to get back to the required minimum of 8 teams.

They have 2 years to exist with Wst and Ore st. They can rebuild with that name (say they and the Mtn West merge and are called teh Pac 12. But they have a 2 year window to figure that out. So yes, they still exist as an entity right now, even with 2 members. That can change.
ok, so in short, they need to merge with Mnt west, keep the pac 12 name and then they'll have a decent shot at being a higher ranked conference than say the AAC, which would make them #5..

did i get that right?

I think there is a caveat that a conference must consist of a minimum # of schools to have a conference championship so maybe the PAC is out as of now unless they are part of the +7

As long as they keep the 5+7 long term. That could change in the future as the SEC and BIG have said numerous times that they'd like the 12 highest rated teams.
I think the illusion of "anyone can win it" has to be maintained. There is some danger in trying to exclude the masses because the TV finances depend on a broad audience.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I think the illusion of "anyone can win it" has to be maintained. There is some danger in trying to exclude the masses because the TV finances depend on a broad audience.
All the big brands that draw eyeballs are going to be in those two conferences. I don’t think tv will be hurt.

The illusion will be “finish in the top 12”. I mean Sankey has openly said he wants that.

ok, so in short, they need to merge with Mnt west, keep the pac 12 name and then they'll have a decent shot at being a higher ranked conference than say the AAC, which would make them #5..

did i get that right?

Yes. Its the 5 highest ranked conference champs. For the next few years, it will be the P4 + the champ of either the MWC, American, SB, CUSA, or MAC. Eventually, WSU and ORST will add some or all MWC members but when that happens, its still 5+7 so it will still almost always be P4 + either the new P12 or American or SB or CUSA or MAC

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Actually the opposite. Easier route with more at large teams. There is no actual conference the next two years so if WSU or OSU were to get in,it has to be at large. So 7 is theoretically better.

Why do I not think this is ambiguous? Take the Conference winners and throw them in a list By themselves. The teams in that list that rank 1-5 are in the playoffs. The remaining 7 will come from Big Ten, SEC and Notre Dame.

Actually the opposite. Easier route with more at large teams. There is no actual conference the next two years so if WSU or OSU were to get in,it has to be at large. So 7 is theoretically better.
I am just referring to what was in the ESPN article. Also, unless you are undefeated, you will not be part of the +7 unless you are in the SEC or B1G. Say hello FSU!

I am just referring to what was in the ESPN article. Also, unless you are undefeated, you will not be part of the +7 unless you are in the SEC or B1G. Say hello FSU!
i think acc can get 2 in. the winner and an auto bid. dont think that's unrealistic. if the acc or big 12 has a one loss team, ranked in top 15 most of the year, they'll get in before a 4th team from the big 10 or sec.

well i think so anyways, cant say for sure. i hope so at least. that would be truly unsetting if the sec / big 10 # 4 (who will have 3 or more losses), gets in over the ACC or big 12 runner up..

Reactions: WillyDavis33
No. What I am saying is that the article actually quotes someone from the two schools saying 7 is better than 6. So I think you misread the article or miswrote what you wanted to post.

Reactions: WillyDavis33
If they vote to go with the 5+7 model next week, which is almost a given, the 5 conference champions (without regard to power conference status) who are the highest ranked will be in the playoffs. The 4 highest ranks of those five will receive a 1st round bye.

The other 7 will be added to the group based on their rankings without regard to conference. The 4 highest ranked selected from that group and the 5th conference champ will play their first round at home.

The PAC, with only 2 members, will not be eligible for conference champ status, but may be selected among the 7 at large teams.

My guess is that the playoff committee will do the rankings in the same manner they currently do.

Sankey hasn't gotten that because that's not what TV wants. TV calls the shots, here.
He hasn’t gotten it because things are still moving around and this setup is so new. When the brand games score higher in the ratings than a San Diego state vs Michigan game, then things will shift to just top 12.

Just my opinion. Everything has been shifting to brand consolidation

Reactions: pittdan77
i think acc can get 2 in. the winner and an auto bid. dont think that's unrealistic. if the acc or big 12 has a one loss team, ranked in top 15 most of the year, they'll get in before a 4th team from the big 10 or sec.

well i think so anyways, cant say for sure. i hope so at least. that would be truly unsetting if the sec / big 10 # 4 (who will have 3 or more losses), gets in over the ACC or big 12 runner up..
You see that now with the major bowls. All about the brand and national following

The AAC and every other FBS level football conference champion should absolutely receive an automatic bid.

The AAC and every other FBS level football conference champion should absolutely receive an automatic bid.
No they don’t. The MAC, Sun Belt, MWC, etc. don’t deserve an automatic bid. The 12-team (5 + 7) playoff is more than enough. Nobody cares to see UGA beat Akron by a score of 63-3.

If the AAC and all the other G5s insisted on that the P4s would tell them hey, that's great, you all have your own tournament and invite whomever you want, and we'll all go off and do our own thing as well.

And guess which one the people would actually watch and pay attention to? The G5s know that if they push too hard for too much that at literally any time the P4s can break off and completely exclude them, and most people won't care at all.

That's exactly the kind of thing that I want to see.

If the AAC and all the other G5s insisted on that the P4s would tell them hey, that's great, you all have your own tournament and invite whomever you want, and we'll all go off and do our own thing as well.

And guess which one the people would actually watch and pay attention to? The G5s know that if they push too hard for too much that at literally any time the P4s can break off and completely exclude them, and most people won't care at all.
I'll watch whichever group Pitt is in and totally ignore the other.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer

It's by design that one non power conference champion will get an autobid. Prior to the PAC12 folding it was a 6+6 highest ranked conference champions + at large bids format. They dropped the conference champion autobids to 5 when it was clear the PAC12 would not be part of the picture.

No they don’t. The MAC, Sun Belt, MWC, etc. don’t deserve an automatic bid. The 12-team (5 + 7) playoff is more than enough. Nobody cares to see UGA beat Akron by a score of 63-3.
Sauce...I could not disagree with you more. The conferences you mentioned are all FBS D-I and because of that they should be given the same opportunity to participate in whatever playoff system is chosen. The Power 5 schools do not want the "so called" lower level of FBS football conferences to be involved because they are a bunch of greedy, arrogant Jagoffs. It is their belief and evidently yours as well, that the champions of conferences like the three mentioned have no chance to beat a team like Georgia in a playoff and you guys are wrong. That is wy there are things in sports called...UPSETS. While they are rare, they do occur and that is what makes sports such a great thing for fans and players as well. We all remember what a team that "nobody cares to see" names Appalachian State did AT Michigan in 2007 and how another team that "nobody cares to see", the Army Black Knights took Michigan to double OT only to lose AT Michigan in 2019.
I'd much rather see a TRUE conference champion be given the chance to participate in a playoff format then some 3 or 4 loss fourth place finisher in the SEC or Big 10.
Either give everyone a fair and equal chance or leave the current asinine system that they currently have in place.

I've already given my answer to this in another post, but the reality of it is if college football is to survive, it MUST treat all teams equally. That means if you are in a conference that is considered an FBS D-I football conference, you have an EQUAL say in all that occurs at that level. The greedy Power 5 schools do not even realize just how much they need the other FBS football to be successful both on the field and at the bank.

Sauce...I could not disagree with you more. The conferences you mentioned are all FBS D-I and because of that they should be given the same opportunity to participate in whatever playoff system is chosen. The Power 5 schools do not want the "so called" lower level of FBS football conferences to be involved because they are a bunch of greedy, arrogant Jagoffs. It is their belief and evidently yours as well, that the champions of conferences like the three mentioned have no chance to beat a team like Georgia in a playoff and you guys are wrong. That is wy there are things in sports called...UPSETS. While they are rare, they do occur and that is what makes sports such a great thing for fans and players as well. We all remember what a team that "nobody cares to see" names Appalachian State did AT Michigan in 2007 and how another team that "nobody cares to see", the Army Black Knights took Michigan to double OT only to lose AT Michigan in 2019.
I'd much rather see a TRUE conference champion be given the chance to participate in a playoff format then some 3 or 4 loss fourth place finisher in the SEC or Big 10.
Either give everyone a fair and equal chance or leave the current asinine system that they currently have in place.
The 3-4 loss team from the SEC would likely crush one of these Cinderella teams that you think deserve a fair chance. Nobody wants to watch that, and remember, that is the only thing that really matters. If 1 out of 100 games winds up as an upset, who cares?

And I got news for you: they aren't going to treat teams equally, at all, far from it. That should be obvious. And they will do more than just survive, even if the final product isn't what we would all like to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT