ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Keeps Playoff/5+7 format

The 3-4 loss team from the SEC would likely crush one of these Cinderella teams that you think deserve a fair chance. Nobody wants to watch that, and remember, that is the only thing that really matters. If 1 out of 100 games winds up as an upset, who cares?
Then it'a just about staging games that you believe are fun for the viewer to watch? Then they really just need to stop pretending there's and FBS and just break out the small group of allowable teams that you want to put in the playoff every year.

Then it'a just about staging games that you believe are fun for the viewer to watch? Then they really just need to stop pretending there's and FBS and just break out the small group of allowable teams that you want to put in the playoff every year.
Not my idea, but it's clearly where they are all coming from.

Sauce...I could not disagree with you more. The conferences you mentioned are all FBS D-I and because of that they should be given the same opportunity to participate in whatever playoff system is chosen. The Power 5 schools do not want the "so called" lower level of FBS football conferences to be involved because they are a bunch of greedy, arrogant Jagoffs. It is their belief and evidently yours as well, that the champions of conferences like the three mentioned have no chance to beat a team like Georgia in a playoff and you guys are wrong. That is wy there are things in sports called...UPSETS. While they are rare, they do occur and that is what makes sports such a great thing for fans and players as well. We all remember what a team that "nobody cares to see" names Appalachian State did AT Michigan in 2007 and how another team that "nobody cares to see", the Army Black Knights took Michigan to double OT only to lose AT Michigan in 2019.
I'd much rather see a TRUE conference champion be given the chance to participate in a playoff format then some 3 or 4 loss fourth place finisher in the SEC or Big 10.
Either give everyone a fair and equal chance or leave the current asinine system that they currently have in place.
They may all be considered on the same level but they are not on the same level and it is not even close. The G5 football programs are struggling to just keep the lights on and will probably be out as soon as revenue sharing happens. The reality is that most G5 programs are closer to FCS level than P4 level.

They may all be considered on the same level but they are not on the same level and it is not even close. The G5 football programs are struggling to just keep the lights on and will probably be out as soon as revenue sharing happens. The reality is that most G5 programs are closer to FCS level than P4 level.
Then really separate those leagues out, if they're never allowed in the playoffs no matter what their record is, they should be in a separate group.

I still would give them a chance to compete. Did anyone give Tulane have a chance to beat USC last year? Sure it is one game where having to win 3-4 will be tough.

Yes, I know basketball is not the same as football but one could have argued that there is no way St. Peters or FAU could have strung 3-4 wins against top teams.

I still would give them a chance to compete. Did anyone give Tulane have a chance to beat USC last year? Sure it is one game where having to win 3-4 will be tough.

Yes, I know basketball is not the same as football but one could have argued that there is no way St. Peters or FAU could have strung 3-4 wins against top teams.

Yes, lots of people did.

Everybody understands the “missed playoff game/championship game” letdown.

Kansas State one game away from BCS in ‘99, only to be upset and then lose to a mid Purdue team in the bowl game.

Bama not showing up against Utah.

Auburn against UCF.

Etc. It’s hard to care about the Sugar Bowl when you’re a game away from the playoffs.

I've already given my answer to this in another post, but the reality of it is if college football is to survive, it MUST treat all teams equally. That means if you are in a conference that is considered an FBS D-I football conference, you have an EQUAL say in all that occurs at that level. The greedy Power 5 schools do not even realize just how much they need the other FBS football to be successful both on the field and at the bank.

Actually no, what happens to the Ball States and Old Dominions of the world will have nothing, literally, nothing at all, to do with whether or not college football survives.

If you really believe that the Alabamas and the Ohio States of the college football world need the Louisiana Monroes and the Florida Internationals to survive you really have gone off the deep end.

Reactions: cashisking884

Different ball game when the entire roster is playing and the games count.

The 3-4 loss team from the SEC would likely crush one of these Cinderella teams that you think deserve a fair chance. Nobody wants to watch that, and remember, that is the only thing that really matters. If 1 out of 100 games winds up as an upset, who cares?

And I got news for you: they aren't going to treat teams equally, at all, far from it. That should be obvious. And they will do more than just survive, even if the final product isn't what we would all like to see.
It doesn't matter if a 3-4 loss team from the SEC would "crush" one of the Cinderella teams, all FBS D-I level Conference Champions MUST be given a fair shot to participate.

They may all be considered on the same level but they are not on the same level and it is not even close. The G5 football programs are struggling to just keep the lights on and will probably be out as soon as revenue sharing happens. The reality is that most G5 programs are closer to FCS level than P4 level
They are not "considered" to be on the same level, they ARE at the same level. The Power 5 schools do not want this because it takes money away from their bank accounts. The reality of it is, if they all worked together for the good of the sport, instead of the their bank accounts, they would make even more money then they do now.

They are not "considered" to be on the same level, they ARE at the same level. The Power 5 schools do not want this because it takes money away from their bank accounts. The reality of it is, if they all worked together for the good of the sport, instead of the their bank accounts, they would make even more money then they do now.

More games like Alabama versus Florida International instead of Alabama versus Florida State will absolutely not make more money.

There is just no way that is true.

They are only on the same level because they both have 85 scholarships and that is currently the dividing line but when you look at resources they are not close. There will be nothing wrong with the separation that is coming and it will be good for the G5 teams because they will be able to possibly win something.

More games like Alabama versus Florida International instead of Alabama versus Florida State will absolutely not make more money.

There is just no way that is true.
Singularly, no. Expanding the tournament is supposed to be a huge windfall so concessions were made.

If we're all being honest with ourselves, there probably aren't more than two or three schools that have a realistic chance of winning from year to year and this "tournament" won't change that.

Reactions: cashisking884
If we're all being honest with ourselves, there probably aren't more than two or three schools that have a realistic chance of winning from year to year and this "tournament" won't change that.
That was never really the point. Who you think can actually win. To me the point always was having something to play for, to just have the chance to be the team that those 2 or 3 end up blowing out. I always thought it kind of sucked that a team would go 13-0 and and then there's nothing more after that.

That was never really the point. Who you think can actually win. To me the point always was having something to play for, to just have the chance to be the team that those 2 or 3 end up blowing out. I always thought it kind of sucked that a team would go 13-0 and and then there's nothing more after that.

When the Sun Belt team is blown out early and the last two standing are Bama v. UGA, you watching that title game?

When the Sun Belt team is blown out early and the last two standing are Bama v. UGA, you watching that title game?
No, I'll only watch games that include Pitt or off brand teams that the Networks don't like. Just like now, I really haven't watched more than parts those playoffs since like 2014. I never sit down and watch entire games.

No, I'll only watch games that include Pitt or off brand teams that the Networks don't like. Just like now, I really haven't watched more than parts those playoffs since like 2014. I never sit down and watch entire games.
They are not making decisions based on viewers like you because you are in the minority and there are not enough to move the needle.

They are not making decisions based on viewers like you because you are in the minority and there are not enough to move the needle.
I know, I'm not saying they are going to agree with me, just saying I won't watch it. and it won't be something new, I already haven't watched it for years.

If the AAC and all the other G5s insisted on that the P4s would tell them hey, that's great, you all have your own tournament and invite whomever you want, and we'll all go off and do our own thing as well.

And guess which one the people would actually watch and pay attention to? The G5s know that if they push too hard for too much that at literally any time the P4s can break off and completely exclude them, and most people won't care at all.
I know which one I'll watch - the one that includes the B1G and SEC and anyone that says differently needs to put the crack pipe down. The big boys of CF are flexing their muscles

I know which one I'll watch - the one that includes the B1G and SEC and anyone that says differently needs to put the crack pipe down. The big boys of CF are flexing their muscles
Pass the crack pipe then, I'll only watch it if Pitt is included, if they are somehow left out of that league, I'll be all in on whatever league Pitt is in as my primary viewing option. it wouldn't be a change, I probably haven't sat down and actually watched an SEC game in 30-40 years, but tons of Big East games or ACC games. As an analogy, this year if Pitt doesn't make the Big Dance, but does get into the NIT, I'll be all in watching NIT every night until Pitt is either eliminated or wins it.

Pass the crack pipe then, I'll only watch it if Pitt is included, if they are somehow left out of that league, I'll be all in on whatever league Pitt is in as my primary viewing option. it wouldn't be a change, I probably haven't sat down and actually watched an SEC game in 30-40 years, but tons of Big East games or ACC games. As an analogy, this year if Pitt doesn't make the Big Dance, but does get into the NIT, I'll be all in watching NIT every night until Pitt is either eliminated or wins it.

I would watch a 1st Round Pitt NIT game over the National Championship but this is partly because Pitt competes in the same "league" as NCAA Tournament teams. If Pitt dropped to D2 in basketball, I lose all interest. I wouldn’t watch them and I wouldn't watch D1 basketball. Same with football. If Pitt drops to some lower division in football, I will retire my fanhood from the sport. Same reason I dont watch the Riverhounds. I need my team to be at the top level. No interest in minor leagues. And yea I know college football is a minor league but I view it as the top level of football in its category and it has a century of history of tradition that makes it feel major league.

I would watch a 1st Round Pitt NIT game over the National Championship but this is partly because Pitt competes in the same "league" as NCAA Tournament teams. If Pitt dropped to D2 in basketball, I lose all interest. I wouldn’t watch them and I wouldn't watch D1 basketball. Same with football. If Pitt drops to some lower division in football, I will retire my fanhood from the sport. Same reason I dont watch the Riverhounds. I need my team to be at the top level. No interest in minor leagues. And yea I know college football is a minor league but I view it as the top level of football in its category and it has a century of history of tradition that makes it feel major league.
Who's your high school team? NA or Central Catholic?

Last edited:
Who's your high school team? NA or Central Catholic?

Huh? I dont watch HS sports. Every few years, I may go see a Pitt recruit but that's the extent of it. If the WPIAL finals are on TV, I may watch some if Pitt isnt on and I dont have youth sports. Actually though, if I had to pick a team for next year, it would be Aliquippa but simply for the storylines.

Huh? I dont watch HS sports. Every few years, I may go see a Pitt recruit but that's the extent of it. If the WPIAL finals are on TV, I may watch some if Pitt isnt on and I dont have youth sports. Actually though, if I had to pick a team for next year, it would be Aliquippa but simply for the storylines.
Yet youve posted more about all levels of high school football than anyone in the history of this board. Weird for someone with "no interest in minor leagues"

Yet youve posted more about all levels of high school football than anyone in the history of this board. Weird for someone with "no interest in minor leagues"

Yea, it probably is weird because I check the scores and read some articles about HS football so I guess I keep up with what's going on but I wont go watch it. I actually went to a game this year and left at halftime because I was bored out of my mind. Looked like watching youth football.

If Pitt was D3 I'd happily follow D3, I've been a fan of minor league sports and enjoy them as much or more than major league, If I lived in Pittsburgh. I could easily go all in on the Riverhounds, I've been a Baltimore Blast indoor soccer fan for years, those players are so minor league, they couldn't make it in USL, but it's just entertainment, even this year, I've watched a few of their games streamed on Twitch if there was nothing more interesting on. I also was into arena football, XFL all that kind of stuff, I'd rather watch them over MLB or the NBA playoffs, as long as there are games and a way to watch them, I'll watch Pitt play sports, no matter the level or who they play. I don't get your thinking, the level of a league doesn't matter to me. you know what the best basketball game I've seen on TV this year was? I watched Army/Navy a couple weeks ago, just stumbled across it and Army won in OT, THOSE TEAMS SUCK, but it was the most entertained I've been watching a basketball game this season.

When they report facts rather than opinion.

In the end, it is up to you who to believe.

I made no demands to pay attention like you did.
I wasn’t even talking to you directly and I already said that in a previous post.

You're VERY sensitive. It's a message board, cupcake...

Don’t get huffy! You started this by being an obnoxious putz. I tried to be magnanimous in the face of your idiotic comments but no, you decided you wanted to slap leather with the meister, so be it…

You are out of your depth. You’ll soon realize that you don’t have the wit or the wisdom to keep up. I will demonstrate this to you in painful detail.

If anyone on this message board should keep their mouth shut, it’s you. You contribute nothing… You go to ZERO games, yet you act as an authoritarian on how one should act and speak. There is a term used for people like you, who:

A. Contribute nothing

B. Takes the moral high ground on everything topic.

C. Is fine with someone else paying as long as you don’t have to.

Aren’t you supposed to be some kind of conservative? Fine example you are….

Your move, Jack! ….I’ve got all day and night to respond….

Last edited:
I wasn’t even talking to you directly and I already said that in a previous post.

You're VERY sensitive. It's a message board, cupcake...

Don’t get huffy! You started this by being an obnoxious putz. I tried to be magnanimous in the face of your idiotic comments but no, you decided you wanted to slap leather with the meister, so be it…

You are out of your depth. You’ll soon realize that you don’t have the wit or the wisdom to keep up. I will demonstrate this to you in painful detail.

If anyone on this message board should keep their mouth shut, it’s you. You contribute nothing… You go to ZERO games, yet you act as an authoritarian on how one should act and speak. There is a term used for people like you, who:

A. Contribute nothing

B. Takes the moral high ground on everything topic.

C. Is fine with someone else paying as long as you don’t have to.

Aren’t you supposed to be some kind of conservative? Fine example you are….

Your move, Jack! ….I’ve got all day and night to respond….
I have no interest in a fight because:

1. who cares?
2. I'm far smarter than you and don't want to embarrass you further.

The games are better with the crack pipe going. Put me down agreeing with SeanMiller on this. If it is only the Big 10 and SEC, not watching. I didn't watch one second of any Big 10 or SEC game last year. I watched the playoffs, but it was because of the Big 12 and Pac.

The games are better with the crack pipe going. Put me down agreeing with SeanMiller on this. If it is only the Big 10 and SEC, not watching. I didn't watch one second of any Big 10 or SEC game last year. I watched the playoffs, but it was because of the Big 12 and Pac.
SMF and others also are wrong about the games being "better" at the highest level. I always see on TV great G5 and FCS football games. lots of action, down to the wire. I mentioned before the best college basketball game that was really exciting that I've watched this year was Army beating Navy in OT, they are both like 7-18 and nowhere near the best, with questionable athleticism, but the game itself was more entertaining than any game I've seen with Duke, UConn or Kansas. Level doesn't make games "better".

Reactions: Houclone4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT