ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Maisel Nice Comments On Pitt Win, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
1. Notice how all most of the former Miami Hurricanes players who went public with their frustrated tweets about the 58-0 loss to Clemson on Saturday are middle-aged? Retired from the NFL? Miami’s problems are deeper than the head coach. Firing Al Golden isn’t going to change what ails the ‘Canes. Miami can no longer live on local talent alone, not when that talent is lured away by lavish locker rooms, indoor practice facilities and that most basic of baubles, the big, loud, filled-to-the-top, on-campus stadium. The game has changed, and Miami has given all of college football a 20-year head start.

2. It never ceases to amaze me how coaches never recognize the chance to bow out on top. It speaks of their love of working with young people, and of their addiction to competition. The resignation of Central Florida head coach George O'Leary, 0-8 two seasons after his Knights went 13-1 and upset Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, is the latest example of staying too long. Bobby Bowden did so at Florida State. Frank Beamer, who has won two-thirds of his games in a 35-year career, has a 25-22 record since 2012. Who left on top? Tom Osborne and Gene Stallings in the mid-1990s. Anyone else?

3. When we write the postmortem of this season, the odds are no one will remember what Pittsburgh did to put away a stubborn Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. With the score tied 20-20, the Panthers put together a 19-play, 89-yard drive that took 9:20 in order to kick a 23-yard field goal as time expired. Pitt converted four third downs and one fourth down -- on a fake punt -- on the inexorable push toward victory. The Panthers will need bigger wins to achieve greatness this season. Back-to-back games versus No. 9 Notre Dame and No. 22 Duke loom ahead. But it’s hard to imagine the Panthers being any more impressive.
LINK:
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/p...e-miamis-problems-extend-far-beyond-al-golden

Cap, nice find. It is what I have been saying about the Miami job since it came open yesterday. They are so far behind the power schools in the P5 they make Pitt look like Alabama in comparison.
Agree Owtie, I was surprised to find it as well, as I was covering the Miami Vacancy! It was an insightful comment but I have been reading and hearing many Sports Broadcasters and Writers talking about Narduzzi in glowing terms!

Thanks for posting, Captain.
You are welcome....it was found by a small search but like you know what they say....BIG THINGS HAVE SMALL BEGINNINGS!

Kind of describes Coach Pat & Staff quiet start of this season taking it one play at a time and one game at a time and not winning big in scores but winning more games!

Reactions: JSSTartan
1. Notice how all most of the former Miami Hurricanes players who went public with their frustrated tweets about the 58-0 loss to Clemson on Saturday are middle-aged? Retired from the NFL? Miami’s problems are deeper than the head coach. Firing Al Golden isn’t going to change what ails the ‘Canes. Miami can no longer live on local talent alone, not when that talent is lured away by lavish locker rooms, indoor practice facilities and that most basic of baubles, the big, loud, filled-to-the-top, on-campus stadium. The game has changed, and Miami has given all of college football a 20-year head start.

The above was posted by our esteemed colleague CaptSidneyReilly today

Here is what i posted yesterday.....

The idea that Al Golden is the problem at Miami misses the point

I dont know if he can coach or not......but the Miami program is dying a slow death every Saturday.....when all those big time prospects in S FLa go to a game 25 miles from campus and see 17,500 to 25,000 in the seats.

Slowly.....painfully. The Miami program will NEVER again be what it was.

The smartest thing they can do (and its not even a real game changer)....is move their games to Marlins Stadium.

Pitt and Miami at the moment......are two elevators heading in very different directions.

Any idea how many Pitt will be favored against the U? Will they even show up?

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
What's happening at The U is eerily similar to what happened to Pitt in the 80's.
Exactly, and great observation, Coach Coker had Miami humming winning and playing in NCS in early 2000 after coming from NCAA Sanctions and cleaning up the program. They actually created a way for all their Great Early to NFL Players to come back and train and take courses and graduate later from Miami to keep growing their Programs with Super Players! It was Marvelous Model of Excellence!

Coker objected to Donna Shalala leaving the Big East for the ACC and he was soon gone and ever since Miami has been rebuilding?

Another example of how a College President or Chancellor Vision for Football has to be Outstanding to attract and find superb People to help build and maintain it.

Donna Shalala embraced a Booster that was buying Players and later became a Convicted Felon on a Ponzi Type Investment Scheme and all of sudden she never knew anything?

Miami has not been the same ever since and since joining the ACC has not won even its divisions once, Pitt may actually win the division before them?

Pitt, Miami, Cuse, FSU, have the richest History & Traditions in Winning National Titles, Wins, Top Talent in the ACC!

Pitt and Miami have so little done and so more to do too to rebuild their Programs!

Pitt has found the people to do it it in Gallagher, Barnes and Narduzzi and Miami is about to do the same too, unless they hire Franklin?

Don't forget Wannstedt was offered the Miami Job a few years before Pitt, but wanted Pitt instead, until the Pederson Poison knocked him out at Pitt!

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77

The above was posted by our esteemed colleague CaptSidneyReilly today

Here is what i posted yesterday.....

The idea that Al Golden is the problem at Miami misses the point

I dont know if he can coach or not......but the Miami program is dying a slow death every Saturday.....when all those big time prospects in S FLa go to a game 25 miles from campus and see 17,500 to 25,000 in the seats.

Slowly.....painfully. The Miami program will NEVER again be what it was.

The smartest thing they can do (and its not even a real game changer)....is move their games to Marlins Stadium.

Pitt and Miami at the moment......are two elevators heading in very different directions.

I concur but Miami is just one year behind Pitt and is making the changes necessary to change what happen in Miami under Shalala. It is on the Miami Athletic Director shoulders that has been there and is the sole reason why Golden was let go as Miami gave him all control now. we shall see if he can choose the right coach to rebuild Miami!

Any idea how many Pitt will be favored against the U? Will they even show up?

One game at a time, UNC is next, in my opinion, Miami can beat Pitt this year too, Pitt can only win by one play and one game at a time, and every game is tough for this Team and Coaching Staff!

I really havent read a single negative thing about our team outside of the Pittsburgh writers (Boyd, QB shuffle, recruiting, etc).

Very good national pub

Syracuse's new coach actually seems pretty good as well, they played well against us this week and he has that defense playing well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT