ADVERTISEMENT

Fair assessment of Pitt hoops - article

Agree its fair. Be careful what you wish for, if you get rid of Jamie. I still think it is more likely he gets poached away from us than we ask him to leave.

I have to believe the loud "fire Jamie" people have to be younger and only experienced the good times.

I do think Jamie may be able to learn from Duzz on how to build excitement around recruiting.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
Agree its fair. Be careful what you wish for, if you get rid of Jamie. I still think it is more likely he gets poached away from us than we ask him to leave.

I have to believe the loud "fire Jamie" people have to be younger and only experienced the good times.

I do think Jamie may be able to learn from Duzz on how to build excitement around recruiting.
He definitely could learn how to land some good players. Developing some strong relationships with some of these prep school coaches would really help! THE DUZZ and his staff were able to do this very quickly! I thought that might be what our assistants were for, I really am not sure what purpose they serve!

He definitely could learn how to land some good players. Developing some strong relationships with some of these prep school coaches would really help! THE DUZZ and his staff were able to do this very quickly! I thought that might be what our assistants were for, I really am not sure what purpose they serve!
I was struck by the recent post by a guy who said that JD is aloof when recruits are in.
I have only personally witnessed two big time college coaches in front of players. Dixon and Thad Matta.
My son attends hoops camps at both schools. Matta makes sure he addresses all the players and parents at least once a day. OSU isn't recruiting basketball players at these camps, they are recruiting parents and future students. But Matta sells OSU,hard work and has his players front and center.
The Jamie Dixon camp is in name only. JD is MIA. Reagan runs the camp and does a nice job.
BUT...the Pitt camp never sells Pitt...almost no mention.
So the personalities are night and day.
My limited observations.

Reactions: bobfree
This is a fluff article. We could do MUCH better than Dixon, especially under the new competent leadership

1) Jamie's contract runs through 2023 not 2021.

2) We don't know what the buyout clause is in the contract.

3) I think that Barnes will wait to see how the season ends and then talk with Jamie about ways to improve the program ..... hopefully Barnes will have some suggestions that Jamie likes and some ways to improve things.

4) IMO, the best thing for the Pitt program would be if Jamie rights the ship and gets us headed in an upward direction now and then no coaching change would be needed.

5) A great start would be beating UNC today or at least making the NCAAT this year.

6) Ultimately, to improve the program, I think we are going to have to recruit better players and develop players better.

7) If we don't make the NCAAT this season, a change in the assistant coaching staff would not surprise me.

Reactions: 88Pitt88 and cabe23
I would say Dixon has recruited like Narduzzi.
Mostly 3 star and occasional 4 star kids.

Let's all take a deep breath about Narduzzi

This is a fluff article. We could do MUCH better than Dixon, especially under the new competent leadership
I agree that it is not impossible to get someone better, but probably not MUCH better. Dixon has generally been fairly successful until just recently, not sure who is night and day better, who we actually would have a chance at getting.

Reactions: Pitt MD
1) Jamie's contract runs through 2023 not 2021.

2) We don't know what the buyout clause is in the contract.

3) I think that Barnes will wait to see how the season ends and then talk with Jamie about ways to improve the program ..... hopefully Barnes will have some suggestions that Jamie likes and some ways to improve things.

4) IMO, the best thing for the Pitt program would be if Jamie rights the ship and gets us headed in an upward direction now and then no coaching change would be needed.

5) A great start would be beating UNC today or at least making the NCAAT this year.

6) Ultimately, to improve the program, I think we are going to have to recruit better players and develop players better.

7) If we don't make the NCAAT this season, a change in the assistant coaching staff would not surprise me.

Agree. JD needs to shake up the staff this off season. The 17 recruiting class is huge Hopefully the 16 class can add enough to JA and MY and get them back into the NCAAT (not sure they will make it this year based on their level of play lately) A more aggressive staff would make big difference in recruiting the next class, I think JD is a good coach but for whatever reason, has swung and missed on way too many recruits which is why the program has been trending in the wrong direction

Who are the much better coaches that would realistically come here? If Dixon leaves on his own that certainly changes things financially. But you seem to be advocating firing him. And the buyout would be pretty big. I've only seen one person list 5 people. Mentioned Archie, Chris Mack, Greg Marshall, Eric Musselman and I forget the other. Marshal already gets 3 mil+. Mack has a great thing going and can't imagine why he'd come here. Who ya got??

I agree that it is not impossible to get someone better, but probably not MUCH better. Dixon has generally been fairly successful until just recently, not sure who is night and day better, who we actually would have a chance at getting.
Maybe Narduzzi can use his magic and get Izzo to follow him here.

Talk of getting rid of Dixon for at least the next few years is foolish. Unless Dixon does something really stupid off the court to embarrass Pitt, like they do up in Creepy Valley, he's here for a while. He's the best coach in any sport at Pitt in a long while, maybe in 50 years. You don't fire that kind of coach.

But if the day would ever come that Dixon leaves, and I hope it doesn't, it would take $5mil+ to get the kind of coach that would get the results that posters on message boards want. And even then, it probably wouldn't happen. It's a crap shoot a lot of the time. It's not a given that we could or would do better than Dixon.

I would say Dixon has recruited like Narduzzi.
Mostly 3 star and occasional 4 star kids.

Let's all take a deep breath about Narduzzi
It is fair to say that Dixon gets primarily 3 and some 4 star recruits just like Duzz. However, I know we haven't seen it on the field yet, but Duzz got highly rated kids with nice offer sheets out of Chicago and Florida! When was the last time our football program has done that? Maybe they won't pan out,maybe they will but if you can't admit that the Duzz and staff busted tail to get these players then you have issues. I am not annointing him as president or anything,but I can definitely say he has our program on the upswing!

I cannot say the same for Dixon! We are fading fast! I like the kids we have coming for next year and hope it continues. Identifying kids we need and can get and then closing on them will be huge. I think we do need some new assistants and if we get them, hopefully together with Jamie, they can figure a way to sell them on Pitt Basketball!

I was thinking the same exact thing mentioned in the first paragraph. We really do only have one bad loss. We also have several pretty good looking victories. We're in much better shape than most think. It's really disappointing to fall apart in the most pathetic way possible like against UVA, but Pitt is a middle of the pack tourney team right now. College basketball is pretty down this season as a whole, not much difference between the 15th ranked team and the 50th.

It is fair to say that Dixon gets primarily 3 and some 4 star recruits just like Duzz. However, I know we haven't seen it on the field yet, but Duzz got highly rated kids with nice offer sheets out of Chicago and Florida! When was the last time our football program has done that? Maybe they won't pan out,maybe they will but if you can't admit that the Duzz and staff busted tail to get these players then you have issues. I am not annointing him as president or anything,but I can definitely say he has our program on the upswing!

I cannot say the same for Dixon! We are fading fast! I like the kids we have coming for next year and hope it continues. Identifying kids we need and can get and then closing on them will be huge. I think we do need some new assistants and if we get them, hopefully together with Jamie, they can figure a way to sell them on Pitt Basketball!
I'd expect effort as a minimum requirement.

Just don't understand the breathlessness about the recruiting class.
Nor am I ready to declare him a model of success after one season where we lost to every good team we played.

I hope he's half as good as people think... And let's see how he sustains things over 13 years.

My hunch is peaks and valleys like every other coach and sport, much like Dixon.

Agree. JD needs to shake up the staff this off season. The 17 recruiting class is huge Hopefully the 16 class can add enough to JA and MY and get them back into the NCAAT (not sure they will make it this year based on their level of play lately) A more aggressive staff would make big difference in recruiting the next class, I think JD is a good coach but for whatever reason, has swung and missed on way too many recruits which is why the program has been trending in the wrong direction
Didn't JD pick the staff or did Pederson eff that up also?
Listen, JD has been great at Pitt. Has been.
The players, coachezs, record, increasing empty seats are his.
Is JD a "has been"? Time will tell. As for me, I don't wait past next season to find out.

Talk of getting rid of Dixon for at least the next few years is foolish. Unless Dixon does something really stupid off the court to embarrass Pitt, like they do up in Creepy Valley, he's here for a while. He's the best coach in any sport at Pitt in a long while, maybe in 50 years. You don't fire that kind of coach.

But if the day would ever come that Dixon leaves, and I hope it doesn't, it would take $5mil+ to get the kind of coach that would get the results that posters on message boards want. And even then, it probably wouldn't happen. It's a crap shoot a lot of the time. It's not a given that we could or would do better than Dixon.
He can't carry Sherrill's or Major's jock strap. You fire him when he loses his way. Yesterday is over and gone with.

Reactions: PittPoker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT