ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Pitt Recruiting classes in Rivals era

newcfo

Scholarship
Feb 4, 2018
Now with the benefit of hindsight and a fair sample size we can judge both actual performance as well as Rivals’ evaluations.

The Rivals era (Class of 2002-Present) more or less coincided with the rise of Pitt basketball. Ben Howland had his first really successful season in 2001-2002. The year before showed some promise of what was to come as Pitt had an amazing run all the way to the Big East Championship, but in 01-02 Pitt broke through and went 29-6, reaching the Sweet 16. Howland had some good talent at that point, but I don’t believe too many were highly ranked. I vaguely remember Mark McCarroll, Julius Page, and Jaron Brown being somewhat highly touted most of the other contributors were more diamond in the rough guys. Krauser was a big get but he was a partial qualifier that year and not eligible.

Some of these classes enjoyed an almost unfathomable amount of success over their careers. It’s bittersweet looking back at some of these names and seasons.

The list is subjective and mostly judged by the class’s hit vs miss percentage and the players individual contributions to the program. I’m fairly liberal on the grading because most of these kids gave me some real good memories.

2005 - G Levance Fields, F Sam Young, F Tyrell Biggs, C Doyle Hudson
75% hit rate
3x 4 star, 1x 3 Star
112 wins 2005-2009

A very good class and the foundation for some the best pitt teams in program history. One of the best on paper as well. Fields and Young were 4 year contributors and Biggs had a nice role for two.

2007 - C DeJuan Blair, G Brad Wanamaker, C Gary McGhee, C Cassin Diggs, F Darnell Dodson
60% hit rate
2x 4 Star, 3x 3 Star
111 wins 2007-2011

This class just barely gets the edge over the class below. Blair and Wanamaker were very fun to watch and took Pitt to some great heights. McGhee was very improved by the end of his career and a valuable player. Got 8 solid seasons out of these guys.

2003 - C Chris Taft, C Aaron Gray, G Antonio Graves, F Dante Milligan
75% hit rate
1x 4 Star, 2x 3 Star, 1 x unranked
105 wins 2003-2007

Taft was a big get and an instant contributors the Big East. Graves was a nice late addition. Gray never stopped improving and eventually made money in the league. Pretty highly touted class that didn’t disappoint.

2008 - G Ashton Gibbs, F Nasir Robinson, G Jermaine Dixon, G Tray Woodall, F Dwight Miller
80% hit rate
4x 3 Star, 1x unranked
106 wins 2008-2012

Lots of good minutes from these guys. Highly underrated class. No NBA prospects but some good college performers. Underrated class.

2012 - G James Robinson, C Steven Adams, G Chris Jones
100% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 2x 3 Star
90 Wins 2012-2016

A strong class, all three recruits became productive players at Pitt. Adams was a force by the end of his freshman year and Robinson manned the point for 4 decent seasons. However the decline had already began and these guys weren’t quite enough to reverse it, only delay it.

2009 - F Lamar Patterson, C Talib Zanna, C Dante Taylor , F JJ Richardson
75% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 3x 3 Star
99 Wins 2009-2013

Good class that netted the first 5 Star in the rivals era. Suprisingly Taylor turned out to be the third best player in his class, but still contributed enough by the end of his career. However, this class was the first of the millennium not to get 100 wins in their time at Pitt...

2013 - F Mike Young, F Jamel Artis, G Josh Newkirk, C Joseph Uchebo, G Derek Mostella
40% hit rate
2x 4 Stars, 3x 3 stars
82 wins 2013-2017

A solid class on paper never really played to their potential. After this class the program’s decline became fully evident.

2018 - G Xavier Johnson, G Trey McGowens, F Au’Diese Toney
100% hit rate
1x 4 Star, 2x 3 Stars
14 wins 2018/2019

This class could rise significantly as the years go by or it could prove to be a red herring for Pitt fans. The early returns have been very strong but these guys have to start winning in order to move up the list. A great recruiting job by Capel all around and a good start towards reviving the program.

2014 - G Cam Johnson, F Ryan Luther, F Sheldon Jeter, C Tyrone Haughton
75% hit rate
4x 3 Stars
64 wins 2014-2018

In what was really the last strong class Dixon had, he brought in three fairly strong recruits that could play at a high level. Unfortunately two jumped ship at the programs lowest point.

2010 - G Cameron Wright, F JJ Moore, G Isiah Epps
66% hit rate
3x 3 stars
100 wins 2010-2014

Wright and Moore were good players - just not quite as good as the Wanamakers and Youngs who came before them... Still not a bad group.

2004 - Ron Ramon, Keith Benjamin, John DeGroat
66% hit rate
3x 3 stars
101 wins 2004-2008

Ramon was good, but didn’t live up to the truly great pitt guards of the era. Benjamin had a good senior year on a very good pitt team. Both are hits. Despite certain personalities hyping him up, DeGroat never really made an impact after JUCO.

2006- F Gilbert Brown, C Austin Wallace
50% Hit rate
1x 4 Star, 1x 3 Star
112 wins 2006-2010

I think of Gil brown as one of the best 6th men and best athletes during the post 2000 program. Like Sam Young, after prep years and a redshirt year for Gil he must have been like 25 by the time he got out of Oakland

2011- F Durand Johnson, C Malcolm Gilbert, G John Johnson, F Khem Birch
25% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 3x 3 Stars
91 Wins 2011-2015

Durand Johnson contributed just barely enough to be a hit, but the other three were not productive at Pitt. The second 5 star recruit turned out to be a far greater disappointment than the first one. This was the first class that really signified Pitt’s decline as a top program.

2002 - Levon Kendall, Ed Turner
50% hit rate
2x unranked
104 wins 2002-2006

I count Levon Kendall as a hit. Man could he play the piano and was an underrated player on some
damn good pitt teams. Also scored a million points against Team USA one time.

2017- G Jared Wilson-Frame, G Marcus Gibbs, G Parker Stewart, C Terrell Brown, C Kene Chukwuka, F Samson George, G Kham Davis, F Shamiel Stevenson, C Peace Ilegomah
44% hit rate
1x 4 Star, 4x 3 stars, 4x unranked
22 Wins 2017-2019

Stallings threw everything at the wall he could to see what stuck and very little did. I think some of these guys could have played at this level but for whatever reason weren’t going to be successful here. This train wreck of a group will likely see the fewest 4 year win stretch in decades... if any make it to graduation (excluding JWF).

2015 - G Damon Wilson, G Jonathan Milligan, C Rozelle Nix
0% Hit rate
1x 4 Star, 1x 3 Star, 1x unranked
59 Wins 2015-2019

This class fully signals Pitt’s impending disaster. Pitt got almost nothing out of these three and this class laid the foundation for the catastrophe that followed.

2016 - G Justice Kithcart, F Corey Maginault, G Chrisshawn Clark
0% Hit rate
38 wins 2016-2019 (3 years)

Another disastrous class that cemented Pitt’s descent into the bottom of P5 schools. Dixon seemed to have checked out by this point, leaving stallings with one of the barest cupboards imaginable.

Now with the benefit of hindsight and a fair sample size we can judge both actual performance as well as Rivals’ evaluations.

The Rivals era (Class of 2002-Present) more or less coincided with the rise of Pitt basketball. Ben Howland had his first really successful season in 2001-2002. The year before showed some promise of what was to come as Pitt had an amazing run all the way to the Big East Championship, but in 01-02 Pitt broke through and went 29-6, reaching the Sweet 16. Howland had some good talent at that point, but I don’t believe too many were highly ranked. I vaguely remember Mark McCarroll, Julius Page, and Jaron Brown being somewhat highly touted most of the other contributors were more diamond in the rough guys. Krauser was a big get but he was a partial qualifier that year and not eligible.

Some of these classes enjoyed an almost unfathomable amount of success over their careers. It’s bittersweet looking back at some of these names and seasons.

The list is subjective and mostly judged by the class’s hit vs miss percentage and the players individual contributions to the program. I’m fairly liberal on the grading because most of these kids gave me some real good memories.

75% hit rate
3x 4 star, 1x 3 Star
112 wins 2005-2009

A very good class and the foundation for some the best pitt teams in program history. One of the best on paper as well. Fields and Young were 4 year contributors and Biggs had a nice role for two.

2007 - C DeJuan Blair, G Brad Wanamaker, C Gary McGhee, C Cassin Diggs, F Darnell Dodson
60% hit rate
2x 4 Star, 3x 3 Star
111 wins 2007-2011

This class just barely gets the edge over the class below. Blair and Wanamaker were very fun to watch and took Pitt to some great heights. McGhee was very improved by the end of his career and a valuable player. Got 8 solid seasons out of these guys.

75% hit rate
105 wins 2003-2007

Taft was a big get and an instant contributors the Big East. Graves was a nice late addition. Gray never stopped improving and eventually made money in the league. Pretty highly touted class that didn’t disappoint.

2008 - G Ashton Gibbs, F Nasir Robinson, G Jermaine Dixon, G Tray Woodall, F Dwight Miller
80% hit rate
4x 3 Star, 1x unranked
106 wins 2008-2012

Lots of good minutes from these guys. Highly underrated class. No NBA prospects but some good college performers. Underrated class.

100% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 2x 3 Star
90 Wins 2012-2016

A strong class, all three recruits became productive players at Pitt. Adams was a force by the end of his freshman year and Robinson manned the point for 4 decent seasons. However the decline had already began and these guys weren’t quite enough to reverse it, only delay it.

75% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 3x 3 Star
99 Wins 2009-2013

Good class that netted the first 5 Star in the rivals era. Suprisingly Taylor turned out to be the third best player in his class, but still contributed enough by the end of his career. However, this class was the first of the millennium not to get 100 wins in their time at Pitt...

2013 - F Mike Young, F Jamel Artis, G Josh Newkirk, C Joseph Uchebo, G Derek Mostella
40% hit rate
2x 4 Stars, 3x 3 stars
82 wins 2013-2017

A solid class on paper never really played to their potential. After this class the program’s decline became fully evident.

100% hit rate
1x 4 Star, 2x 3 Stars
14 wins 2018/2019

This class could rise significantly as the years go by or it could prove to be a red herring for Pitt fans. The early returns have been very strong but these guys have to start winning in order to move up the list. A great recruiting job by Capel all around and a good start towards reviving the program.

75% hit rate
4x 3 Stars
64 wins 2014-2018

In what was really the last strong class Dixon had, he brought in three fairly strong recruits that could play at a high level. Unfortunately two jumped ship at the programs lowest point.

66% hit rate
3x 3 stars
100 wins 2010-2014

Wright and Moore were good players - just not quite as good as the Wanamakers and Youngs who came before them... Still not a bad group.

66% hit rate
3x 3 stars
101 wins 2004-2008

Ramon was good, but didn’t live up to the truly great pitt guards of the era. Benjamin had a good senior year on a very good pitt team. Both are hits. Despite certain personalities hyping him up, DeGroat never really made an impact after JUCO.

50% Hit rate
1x 4 Star, 1x 3 Star
112 wins 2006-2010

I think of Gil brown as one of the best 6th men and best athletes during the post 2000 program. Like Sam Young, after prep years and a redshirt year for Gil he must have been like 25 by the time he got out of Oakland

25% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 3x 3 Stars
91 Wins 2011-2015

Durand Johnson contributed just barely enough to be a hit, but the other three were not productive at Pitt. The second 5 star recruit turned out to be a far greater disappointment than the first one. This was the first class that really signified Pitt’s decline as a top program.

50% hit rate
2x unranked
104 wins 2002-2006

I count Levon Kendall as a hit. Man could he play the piano and was an underrated player on some

2017- G Jared Wilson-Frame, G Marcus Gibbs, G Parker Stewart, C Terrell Brown, C Kene Chukwuka, F Samson George, G Kham Davis, F Shamiel Stevenson, C Peace Ilegomah
44% hit rate
22 Wins 2017-2019

Stallings threw everything at the wall he could to see what stuck and very little did. I think some of these guys could have played at this level but for whatever reason weren’t going to be successful here. This train wreck of a group will likely see the fewest 4 year win stretch in decades... if any make it to graduation (excluding JWF).

0% Hit rate
59 Wins 2015-2019

This class fully signals Pitt’s impending disaster. Pitt got almost nothing out of these three and this class laid the foundation for the catastrophe that followed.

0% Hit rate

Another disastrous class that cemented Pitt’s descent into the bottom of P5 schools. Dixon seemed to have checked out by this point, leaving stallings with one of the barest cupboards imaginable.

Couple edits:

I can't see any reason not to add all 5th year seniors as recruits.

Therefore, I'd add Nelson-Ododa, Maia and Smith to the 2015 class, but I'm not sure that changes your ranking at all.

Also, Sidy N'Dir to 2018 and Monty Boykins to 2017. Again, don't know if this changes the rankings.

I will always speak against the charge of Dixon being checked out as you mentioned for the 2015 class, as it was reported to me that he was putting more into recruiting his last year than at any other time at Pitt. But certainly, Dixon's recruiting results by then were simply terrible. So whatever the problem was, it was a problem that was significant.

Also, we should put Stallings' name alongside Dixon for the 2016 class (if not completely Stallings's name). After all, it's Capel's name that is associated with the 2018 class completely -- not Stallings (Stallings' recruits Golden and Kingsby went elsewhere). Stallings chose to keep all of Dixon's guys and didn't seem to even try to go after anyone else. I never really thought Stallings could have done much after he was hired until I saw what Capel was able to accomplish in his first six weeks. So again, the logic should be that the 2016 class is Stallings.'

Otherwise, more or less I concur with you rankings with the exception of that I think you have the 2004 class one or two spots too low. One could argue that the 2007 class surpasses the 2005 class as well.

Couple edits:

I can't see any reason not to add all 5th year seniors as recruits.

Therefore, I'd add Nelson-Ododa, Maia and Smith to the 2015 class, but I'm not sure that changes your ranking at all.

Also, Sidy N'Dir to 2018 and Monty Boykins to 2017. Again, don't know if this changes the rankings.

I will always speak against the charge of Dixon being checked out as you mentioned for the 2015 class, as it was reported to me that he was putting more into recruiting his last year than at any other time at Pitt. But certainly, Dixon's recruiting results by then were simply terrible. So whatever the problem was, it was a problem that was significant.

Also, we should put Stallings' name alongside Dixon for the 2016 class (if not completely Stallings's name). After all, it's Capel's name that is associated with the 2018 class completely -- not Stallings (Stallings' recruits Golden and Kingsby went elsewhere). Stallings chose to keep all of Dixon's guys and didn't seem to even try to go after anyone else. I never really thought Stallings could have done much after he was hired until I saw what Capel was able to accomplish in his first six weeks. So again, the logic should be that the 2016 class is Stallings.'

Otherwise, more or less I concur with you rankings with the exception of that I think you have the 2004 class one or two spots too low. One could argue that the 2007 class surpasses the 2005 class as well.
Stallings took JDs guys .
JC released KS guys and independently recruited last yrs class .

Reactions: FireballZ
Stallings took JDs guys .
JC released KS guys and independently recruited last yrs class .
Yes, of course, but that’s just my point.

Stallings made the choice to keep the guys Dixon recruited so then they become his guys, at least in part.

In fairness to Stallings, he was pretty much lauded from the onset by all for keeping these guys. Manigualt looked like a solid top 150 recruit and Kithcart around top 200 or so. Even Clark looked pretty decent until we later learned he was damaged goods. The high school pedigree of these three guys was at least around the class that Capel has snagged thus far for 2019.

Certainly in retrospect, which was the original posters’ excercise, this class was simply terrible. And because Stallings chose to keep them, they are at least partially his, even more so because Stallings recruited no one else.

I appreciate all the effort and excellent info put into this. But I simply must protest that Pitt did not get a monster year from Steven Adams. I'm not knocking him for it, nor Dixon for getting him, nor failing to acknowledge he's pulling down millions now, but we got very little from him.

Yes, of course, but that’s just my point.

Stallings made the choice to keep the guys Dixon recruited so then they become his guys, at least in part.

In fairness to Stallings, he was pretty much lauded from the onset by all for keeping these guys. Manigualt looked like a solid top 150 recruit and Kithcart around top 200 or so. Even Clark looked pretty decent until we later learned he was damaged goods. The high school pedigree of these three guys was at least around the class that Capel has snagged thus far for 2019.

Certainly in retrospect, which was the original posters’ excercise, this class was simply terrible. And because Stallings chose to keep them, they are at least partially his, even more so because Stallings recruited no one else.
I remember that class being touted as JDs best in awhile .

75% hit rate
3x 4 star, 1x 3 Star
112 wins 2005-2009

60% hit rate
2x 4 Star, 3x 3 Star
111 wins 2007-2011

75% hit rate
105 wins 2003-2007

80% hit rate
4x 3 Star, 1x unranked
106 wins 2008-2012

100% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 2x 3 Star
90 Wins 2012-2016

75% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 3x 3 Star
99 Wins 2009-2013

40% hit rate
2x 4 Stars, 3x 3 stars
82 wins 2013-2017

100% hit rate
1x 4 Star, 2x 3 Stars
14 wins 2018/2019

75% hit rate
4x 3 Stars
64 wins 2014-2018

66% hit rate
3x 3 stars
100 wins 2010-2014

66% hit rate
3x 3 stars
101 wins 2004-2008

50% Hit rate
1x 4 Star, 1x 3 Star
112 wins 2006-2010

25% hit rate
1x 5 Star, 3x 3 Stars
91 Wins 2011-2015

50% hit rate
2x unranked
104 wins 2002-2006

44% hit rate
22 Wins 2017-2019

0% Hit rate
59 Wins 2015-2019

0% Hit rate

Fantastic effort. I will look at it in more depth, but as someone who occasionally posts things like this, just want to commend and thank you for this.

Reactions: newcfo
I remember that class being touted as JDs best in awhile .

Or least we seemed to think so.

And in retrospect, the 2011 class, the highest ranked class Dixon ever brought in, was the beginning of the downfall of Pitt Hoops.

The 2014 class, maybe Dixon's worst ever on paper, now sports what looks like will be a first round NBA draft choice.

Reactions: rockypanther
Or least we seemed to think so.

And in retrospect, the 2011 class, the highest ranked class Dixon ever brought it, was the beginning of the downfall of Pitt Hoops.

The 2014 class, maybe Dixon's worst ever on paper, now sports what looks like will be a first round NBA draft choice.
Sometimes there’s guys who are no brainers , but trying to project how guys play at the next level is always a crap shoot .

I appreciate all the effort and excellent info put into this. But I simply must protest that Pitt did not get a monster year from Steven Adams. I'm not knocking him for it, nor Dixon for getting him, nor failing to acknowledge he's pulling down millions now, but we got very little from him.

I didn’t call it a monster year and it surely was not.

But I would sure as hell take a kid that is all-ACC freshman team and puts up 7.5 pts, 6.5 rebs and 2.0 blocks for next year and plays his best ball in feb-march

Fantastic effort. I will look at it in more depth, but as someone who occasionally posts things like this, just want to commend and thank you for this.

No problem dawg!

The toughest part was adding up all the win totals in my head

Sadly the numbers got much smaller as the classes went by

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT