ADVERTISEMENT

Fans going back to the 80s, a question…

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
Is this the first time you will be watching the Selection Show genuinely nervous about whether or not the team will be selected?

As a Pitt fan of nearly 40 years I believe this is indeed the first time that us Panthers fans will be watching the Selection Show gritting our teeth.

Yes there have been a number of years when Pitt has been seeded 8, 9 or 10 (1989, 1993, 2005, 2013, 2014, 2016 come to mind), but the team was never truly in danger of missing those tournaments in my mind.

Thankfully, most of the years Pitt has been in the tourney we have only been stressing about seeding.

Any recollections to the contrary?

Is this the first time you will be watching the Selection Show genuinely nervous about whether or not the team will be selected?

As a Pitt fan of nearly 40 years I believe this is indeed the first time that us Panthers fans will be watching the Selection Show gritting our teeth.

Yes there have been a number of years when Pitt has been seeded 8, 9 or 10 (1989, 1993, 2005, 2013, 2014, 2016 come to mind), but the team was never truly in danger of missing those tournaments in my mind.

Thankfully, most of the years Pitt has been in the tourney we have only been stressing about seeding.

I was a little nervous in 1989 but it was pretty well concluded they were in.

I was a bit more nervous in 2016 than 89, but I was still pretty sure we were in.

I'm more nervous this year than either of those years, but I'm still mostly convinced we are in.

2016 - felt we were in but was maybe like 95% sure, not 100%
I think the 1993 team was on solid ground despite a so-so overall record. That team had a pretty nice non-conference resume with wins over UCLA and Illinois, plus a win over a Top 10 Seton Hall team. I also remember them beating UCONN but I don’t recall if that was a good Huskies team or not.

That was also back in an era where almost all at-large spots came from the major conferences.

1985 Pitt was 8-8 and 17-12 and got a 12 seed. Mainly because they killed Villanova in their last home game who then went on to win it all. Karl Malone - the mailman - wiped us out in the 5-12 game

Reactions: PittPoker
I was thinking the same thing the other day. I go back to the mid 80s as a fan. I remember the '86 or '87 team being the first team I was aware of a bubble. I remember Joey David having to play important minutes in a BET game.

I don't really believe I've ever experienced a time when we were this squarely on the bubble. It sure doesn't help that there are thousands of crackpot charlatan bracketologists out there and on this board spouting their opinions spawned by biases and insecurities.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I go back to the mid 80s as a fan. I remember the '86 or '87 team being the first team I was aware of a bubble. I remember Joey David having to play important minutes in a BET game.

I don't really believe I've ever experienced a time when we were this squarely on the bubble. It sure doesn't help that there are thousands of crackpot charlatan bracketologists out there and on this board spouting their opinions spawned by biases and insecurities.
Lol so true

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I think the 1993 team was on solid ground despite a so-so overall record. That team had a pretty nice non-conference resume with wins over UCLA and Illinois, plus a win over a Top 10 Seton Hall team. I also remember them beating UCONN but I don’t recall if that was a good Huskies team or not.

That was also back in an era where almost all at-large spots came from the major conferences.

Providence beat us twice but we got in over them.

I was a little nervous in 1989 but it was pretty well concluded they were in.

I was a bit more nervous in 2016 than 89, but I was still pretty sure we were in.

I'm more nervous this year than either of those years, but I'm still mostly convinced we are in.
DT_Pitt: nice change of adverbs; you went from pretty well, to pretty sure, to mostly convinced. A grammarian would be proud! 😀

93 was definitely on solid ground. Actually, the 89 team was too once they beat Villanova in the first round of the Big East tournament.

Reactions: JD1976

I think not being in it for 6 years has us all a little antsy. I think we are in. I will be shocked if we are not. 22 wins and a 14-6 conference record won't be ignored because of the Duke game.

DT_Pitt: nice change of adverbs; you went from pretty well, to pretty sure, to mostly convinced. A grammarian would be proud! 😀
He used "pretty" twice and "mostly" once. Not that great a variety.
:)

By the way:

"pretty well"
"pretty sure"
"mostly convinced"

are adjectives, not adverbs.

He used "pretty" twice and "mostly" once. Not that great a variety.
:)

By the way:

"pretty well"
"pretty sure"
"mostly convinced"

are adjectives, not adverbs.

"Mostly convinced" is an adverbial phrase, because "mostly" is an adverb and "convinced" is a verb. Any word that ends in ly is usually an adverb. "Pretty" in this case is an adjective because it modifies a noun. And see Moe's explanation.

So there's your English lesson for the day. That will be $12.95 please. ;)

Reactions: Kaywood105
1985 Pitt was 8-8 and 17-12 and got a 12 seed. Mainly because they killed Villanova in their last home game who then went on to win it all. Karl Malone - the mailman - wiped us out in the 5-12 game
Yeah I was thinking about that Villanova game yesterday. Villanova just got hammered by us, finished 18-9. In the BET, they went 1-1. Got an 8 seed and then made their run.

Difference then....throughout the year Gtown, Syracuse, St Johns were top 10 teams if not top 5.

Reactions: SteelBowl70

It didn't help that they lost to Miami in the first round of the Big East.But they got in and stomped by Utah.Are you sure the UCLA win was in 93? I remember them getting killed at UCLA one year.They did beat UCLA at home but not sure it was 1993.

I never watch the selection show, I'll just google it later, But THEY ARE A LOCK, if they aren't there is something terribly wrong?

Go back in history, since the field became 64, find a Power Conference team with 22 overall wins, 15 wins in that conference that didn't make it? Post a link here. I think it would be unprecedented if they didn't make it.

I think not being in it for 6 years has us all a little antsy. I think we are in. I will be shocked if we are not. 22 wins and a 14-6 conference record won't be ignored because of the Duke game.
Agree

It didn't help that they lost to Miami in the first round of the Big East.But they got in and stomped by Utah.Are you sure the UCLA win was in 93? I remember them getting killed at UCLA one year.They did beat UCLA at home but not sure it was 1993.
Here you go…

Reactions: Black Panther
Yeah I was thinking about that Villanova game yesterday. Villanova just got hammered by us, finished 18-9. In the BET, they went 1-1. Got an 8 seed and then made their run.

Difference then....throughout the year Gtown, Syracuse, St Johns were top 10 teams if not top 5.
That Nova team were higher than kites

The UCLA road loss was 1990-91 as I recall. The loss to the 0-18 Miami team was 1991-92. That was a brutal, embarrassing loss to that Constantine Popa stiff back when the Big East tourney was on WOR New York.

Reactions: Black Panther
93 was definitely on solid ground. Actually, the 89 team was too once they beat Villanova in the first round of the Big East tournament.
That was my first Big East Tournament. Huge win over Nova. Doug West sat in front of us during the first game. I remember his ears were huge.

The UCLA road loss was 1990-91 as I recall. The loss to the 0-18 Miami team was 1991-92. That was a brutal, embarrassing loss to that Constantine Popa stiff back when the Big East tourney was on WOR New York.
I was at that game too. Terrible.

Reactions: JD1976

I was super nervous in 1993. Ended up a 9 seed.

A little nervous in 2016.

1985 , was surprised they were selected as a 12 seed.

"Mostly convinced" is an adverbial phrase, because "mostly" is an adverb and "convinced" is a verb. Any word that ends in ly is usually an adverb. "Pretty" in this case is an adjective because it modifies a noun. And see Moe's explanation.

So there's your English lesson for the day. That will be $12.95 please. ;)
Agree to disagree; in DT_PITT's examples, there are no nouns for the two pretties. "It was pretty well concluded (adverbial); "I was pretty sure (also adverbial)"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT