ADVERTISEMENT

UNC ACC Tournament Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I wanted so much more tonight.

** In fact, I was almost expecting a win.

** Think about that. Our Panthers who started the ACC season 1-5 have been playing so well that I was almost expecting a win against an NCAA Tournament #1 seed in the ACC Tournament semifinal. I suspect many of you felt the same.

** And our Panthers were nearly up to the task. Hats off to them.

** More than that actually. Our Panthers made us proud. Really proud.

** I just realized however, that I am writing these thoughts this night with the fullest expectation that our name will not be called to the field on Sunday’s Selection Show. And it’s tough to get a full handle on how to feel about that.

** First, knowing what I know about selection criteria and “body of work,” I’ll certainly understand why we more likely won’t be selected.

** And just about all of the teams with whom we were competing for those precious few last spots also won big games. I’ll only have a gripe if a team such as Indiana State gets in and we don’t.

** But I know what Jay Bilas knows along with each and every Pitt fan. In my mind this night, Pitt is absolutely an NCAA Tournament Team. This can still be true even if we don’t make the Tournament.

** I suspect that UNC would say the same thing.

** What was most impressive about our Panthers who were tied with the Tar Heels near the Final TV timeout was that the played toe to toe with the best without our best being their best.

** Our pair who scored 50 the day before managed just 13 for an encore.

** But our Panthers have learned how to play their best as a team. They didn’t know how to do this two months ago. The journey to get where and how they played tonight has been pretty extraordinary.

** More than that though. Overall, our guys have learned how to be the best team they can be. Can we really ask more than this?

** The first half certainly showed that to be the case. With the Tar Heels completely removing Blake from the equation, others took his place.

** Plain and simply, Guillermo played his best half of basketball in his two years as a Panther. Jaland added his game and Austin hit a big shot too.

** And everyone defended well, against a team who is very hard to defend.

** But we took a two point lead to the locker room because Bub was so special.

** The reality for Bub is that he’s had ups and downs this season, just as most freshman do. The only issue is that he set such a high bar for himself from the start that he could only go downward afterward.

** But this night, he was the best that he can be. He scored. He rebounded. He defended. He led.

** This was without a doubt his finest 40 Panther minutes. And I say 40 because he played 40. Would you have taken him out?

** His sidekick Jaland was pretty special also. Can you believe that floater to tie the game at 62?

** They were an amazing pair, but we must realize that UNC has a pretty decent pair in two guys named Davis and Bacot. Even if Bub was the game’s best player, these two combined to make a difference our Panthers could not overcome in those fateful last four minutes.

** So now, all we can do is sit and wait and hope for a wonderful surprise on Sunday.

** But even if that doesn’t come to pass, I’m still glad we will get to watch this Panther Basketball team at least one more time.

** I’ll even try to remember that after the game when the Panthers dropped to 1-5 in the ACC, then I even thought the NIT was out of reach.

** And if I’m sitting at the Pete watching an NIT game, I’ll even try remind myself that before this season started, I thought it was more than a stretch to expect a team who lost all four senior guards to make the NCAA’s.

** Fortunately, Coach Capel restocked the floor with three pretty great guards to take their place. And over the last two days, all three have had some really special moments.

** So however the journey of this season continues, I’m glad it continues.

** Even if we didn’t get all we wanted tonight.

** Think about that. Our Panthers who started the ACC season 1-5 have been playing so well that I was almost expecting a win against an NCAA Tournament #1 seed in the ACC Tournament semifinal. I suspect many of you felt the same.

** I just realized however, that I am writing these thoughts this night with the fullest expectation that our name will not be called to the field on Sunday’s Selection Show. And it’s tough to get a full handle on how to feel about that.

** First, knowing what I know about selection criteria and “body of work,” I’ll certainly understand why we more likely won’t be selected.

** And just about all of the teams with whom we were competing for those precious few last spots also won big games. I’ll only have a gripe if a team such as Indiana State gets in and we don’t.

** But I know what Jay Bilas knows along with each and every Pitt fan. In my mind this night, Pitt is absolutely an NCAA Tournament Team. This can still be true even if we don’t make the Tournament.

** What was most impressive about our Panthers who were tied with the Tar Heels near the Final TV timeout was that the played toe to toe with the best without our best being their best.

** But our Panthers have learned how to play their best as a team. They didn’t know how to do this two months ago. The journey to get where and how they played tonight has been pretty extraordinary.

** More than that though. Overall, our guys have learned how to be the best team they can be. Can we really ask more than this?

** The first half certainly showed that to be the case. With the Tar Heels completely removing Blake from the equation, others took his place.

** Plain and simply, Guillermo played his best half of basketball in his two years as a Panther. Jaland added his game and Austin hit a big shot too.

** The reality for Bub is that he’s had ups and downs this season, just as most freshman do. The only issue is that he set such a high bar for himself from the start that he could only go downward afterward.

** But this night, he was the best that he can be. He scored. He rebounded. He defended. He led.

** This was without a doubt his finest 40 Panther minutes. And I say 40 because he played 40. Would you have taken him out?

** His sidekick Jaland was pretty special also. Can you believe that floater to tie the game at 62?

** They were an amazing pair, but we must realize that UNC has a pretty decent pair in two guys named Davis and Bacot. Even if Bub was the game’s best player, these two combined to make a difference our Panthers could not overcome n those fateful last four minutes.

** So now, all we can do is sit and wait and hope for a wonderful surprise on Sunday.

** But even if that doesn’t come to pass, I’m still glad we will get to watch this Panther Basketball at least one more time.

** I’ll even try to remember that after the game when the Panthers dropped to 1-5 in the ACC, then I even thought the NIT was out of reach.

** And if I’m sitting at the Pete watching an NIT game, I’ll even try remind myself that before this season started, I thought it was more than a stretch to expect a team who lost all four senior guards to make the NCAA’s.

** Fortunately, Coach Capel restocked the floor with three pretty great guards to take their place. And over the last two days, all three have had some really special moments.

Do you think they’ll accept an NIT invite? Some teams aren’t

So proud of this team. They definitely delivered. It was fun to watch. The last two years were fun to be a fan again. When Capel said "brick by brick and toughness" I thought it was coach speak. Capel delivered we have a culture of toughness and hard work

Reactions: Pittisit4me
They need to accept. Pitt wasn’t bigger than the CBI and they are a true bubble team. Yes they are playing a lot better but still bubble resume.

** His sidekick Jaland was pretty special also
without our best being their best.
I am arguing that our "best" are now the two growing freshman, it was a miscalculation ( if indeed it was calculated) to change our play at half time insisting that Blake fire away until he got in the groove. Those minutes early second half when he was forcing shots (combined with a couple passes directed to Fede ) were Pitt's downfall swinging momentum and allowing UNC to finally play without pressure of being behind.

I hope they don’t accept. As a matter of fact, I hope Wake declines too. Maybe it means nothing and ends up being a bad look, but the ACC needs to put an end to this perception nonsense. Pitt especially should not be sniffing the NIT.

Pitt made a valiant effort tonight , giving a #1 seed all they could handle.

Best freshman guards in nation and one of the best backcourts regardless of experience in the days of 5 and 6 yr college players .

Hopefully we’ll get to see them again next season in a Pitt uniform .

The NIL and the portal are great for players , but as a fan it‘s not ideal . Of course unless you‘re a heavily funded NIL school .

Pitt truly deserve a spot in the tourney and they should reluctantly accept an NIT invite .

Whatever the outcome this season far exceeds anyone’s expectations and was a blast !

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

** They were an amazing pair, but we must realize that UNC has a pretty decent pair in two guys named Davis and Bacot. Even if Bub was the game’s best player, these two combined to make a difference our Panthers could not overcome in those fateful last four minutes.

** But even if that doesn’t come to pass, I’m still glad we will get to watch this Panther Basketball team at least one more time.

Thanks DT for your insight and thoughts! I always look forward to your opinions and thoughts on Pitt hoops! To me you’re as objective as a fan can be! I don’t post often on this site only because the opinions of most people here infuriate me! They either are trolls or they wear Pitt rose colored glasses! Thank you for your analysis and objective journalism!

Reactions: Fredact
I hope they don’t accept. As a matter of fact, I hope Wake declines too. Maybe it means nothing and ends up being a bad look, but the ACC needs to put an end to this perception nonsense. Pitt especially should not be sniffing the NIT.
Loser mentality.

Skipping the NIT does nothing for the ACC or Pitt. Nothing.

Competitors want to play. Period. Whether you are rolling the ball out on the blacktop in front of no one or whether you have a chance to play a couple more in front of your own fans. Unless the team has just imploded with something like lockeroom issues, winners want to compete. There is a chance for a championship...a chance to play some more with you teammates...a chance for a trophy...something for which a team can be highlighted in the media guide for decades.....a chance to have a notable legacy for something as a team 30 years from now. Losers pass on that.

Last edited:
Pitt gave it their all.

I still think we hear our name called.

Bub and Jaland are pretty special. Bub was the best player on the court yesterday.

Bub can do it all. When we couldn't get a defensive board, there he was floating high out of the sky with the ball.

Blake picked a bad time to be off. If he was his usual self down the stretch we are playing tonight for the title.

Very fun season, I still think NCAA but if the NIT, I'm still excited to watch these guys.

Tip of the hat to Coach Capel and staff. It's time to put to sleep the talk of a new coach.

It was said he wasn't recruiting enough talent and can't coach. He got us two future NBA guards and has found some solid portal players. I look forward to the day when he can get us a real center. One who has strength and post moves.

*Moe-bservations:

*UNC played as a team wanting to both solidify a #1 seed, and show why they're worthy of that seed. They are a National Championship caliber team

*Pitt played as a team wanting to both win the game and show just how capable they are; across their entire lineup. They just came up a whisker short but are definitely one of the better teams playing at this moment

*College basketball - at the tournament level - has always been both "who's playing at their best", and "who's better in this particular game's matchup". Both Pitt and UNC are playing at their best; UNC was better in last night's matchup. We had no answer for Bacot

*I don't think of myself "wearing rose-colored glasses" when it comes to rooting for my alma mater. I can be objective and honest when any of Pitt's teams are competing; regardless of sport

*I don't watch a lot of games other than Pitt and other ACC teams. I watched a few other teams during this year's tournament season, but just small tastes

*I honestly don't know how well Pitt stacks up against other teams with similar resumes. My only "eye test" is how well Pitt plays against their most recent opponents

*And comparing recent results (last ten to fifteen games, maybe?) versus the overall season is where the NCAA committee should focus; especially when it comes to determining which teams among those "on the bubble" are selected for the field of 68

*Today and tomorrow might reveal additional "bid stealers". Pitt didn't fare well with the other bubble teams yesterday

*Pitt did do about as well as any other ACC teams in their tournament, despite playing just two games. At this moment, my ranking of the ACC teams would be: UNC & NC State are #1 and #2; Pitt is #3; Wake #4

*Hoping we get a play-in-game for the NCAAT; expecting we get a #1 seed in the NIT

Loser mentality.

Skipping the NIT does nothing for the ACC or Pitt. Nothing.

Competitors want to play. Period. Whether you are rolling the ball out on the blacktop in front of no one or whether you have a chance to play a couple more in front of your own fans. Unless the team has just imploded with something like lockeroom issues, winners want to compete. There is a chance for a championship...a chance to play some more with you teammates...a chance for a trophy...something for which a team can be highlighted in the media guide for decades.....a chance to have a notable legacy for something as a team 30 years from now. Losers pass on that.
NIT Champions???

I think it would be good for Pitt to play in the NIT, if that's what happens. But TBH, I doubt many fans will show at The Pete for the game if one is there. I seem to recall back when Pitt was in the NIT one season under Dixon and there were maybe 2,000 there for the game. I could be mistaken, but that was my recollection. It's just not viewed as it used to be. And if the NCAAT is expanded, forget it.

I am arguing that our "best" are now the two growing freshman, it was a miscalculation ( if indeed it was calculated) to change our play at half time insisting that Blake fire away until he got in the groove. Those minutes early second half when he was forcing shots (combined with a couple passes directed to Fede ) were Pitt's downfall swinging momentum and allowing UNC to finally play without pressure of being behind.
Totally agree. I was hoping the halftime adjustment would be to spread the floor and give Bub and Jlowe the green light to take Baycott to the basket every time UNC switched and had him guarding them all the way out on the 3 point line. Instead of taking advantage of that mismatch and possibly getting Baycott into foul trouble they were actually setting a second screen allowing a UNC guard to switch back with Baycott. Didn't make much sense to me.

Reactions: Parkview57
Do you think they’ll accept an NIT invite? Some teams aren’t

Who isnt? They should. Never undestood that. Teams accept crap bowl game invites. Playing basketball is better than not playing. Though, I would understand Blake and Bub opting out.

Also Capel is "old school." He wouldn't even have a team vote. I think he'd just accept.

Who isnt? They should. Never undestood that. Teams accept crap bowl game invites. Playing basketball is better than not playing. Though, I would understand Blake and Bub opting out.

Also Capel is "old school." He wouldn't even have a team vote. I think he'd just accept.
Football teams have 85 scholarship players and look at what happened at fsu this year. Everyone who got them to the new years bowls opted out and they got embarrassed. If say bub and blake opt out for the pros and lowe opts out to transfer( doomsday scenario) then do u want to watch a ish led pitt team with a 5 of ish austin will gdg fede play. They would have to burn barnes’s redshirt for him to play, and papa and jdg are still injured. We would literally have a 5 man rotation and walk ons

Indiana and Ole Miss. portal is open. Need to look towards next year instead of NIT

The problem with the NIT also becomes whether players likely to enter the draft or test the waters would want to risk playing in it and getting hurt. Football is obviously more of a risk, but we see guys bowing out on bowl games all the time now.

There’s also the possibility the players won’t want to play in a tournament that makes the ncaa money after being snubbed for the ncaa
That may be the dumbest reason so far. NIT barely makes the NCAA any money. Players are getting paid by collectives, not the NCAA. I'd make it a condition of their NIL, same with bowl participation.

Reactions: bschulter

We probably won't get an NCAA bid, but we certainly deserve one. And btw, if we do get an NCAA bid we're a team that no one will want to meet in the first or second round of the tournament.

I think we get in as long as we get favorable outcomes in AA and with UNC and Colorado winning.

And if not, I have no complaints. The team played very well and is easily a tourney team. Don’t think we would turn down an NIT invite in that we would almost definitely be a 1 seed and get up to 3 home games.

That may be the dumbest reason so far. NIT barely makes the NCAA any money. Players are getting paid by collectives, not the NCAA. I'd make it a condition of their NIL, same with bowl participation.
Well you can’t do that…. So….

Would be really smart to start withholding checks right as the portal opens too! The NIT just means more!!!

Well you can’t do that…. So….

Would be really smart to start withholding checks right as the portal opens too! The NIT just means more!!!
The NIT means more than....nothing....which is the only alternative.

And I'm not so certain you couldn't write NIL contracts that mandate reduced payments for non-appearances in postseason competitions that are due to injury, etc. I don't know why paying for the rights for the use of someone's image can certainly be structured in a way that has performance or morality clauses.

When these athletes become full fledged employees, I would expect such things to be the norm in contracts.

The NIT means more than....nothing....which is the only alternative.

And I'm not so certain you couldn't write NIL contracts that mandate reduced payments for non-appearances in postseason competitions that are due to injury, etc. I don't know why paying for the rights for the use of someone's image can certainly be structured in a way that has performance clauses.

When these athletes become full fledged employees, I would expect such things to be the norm in contracts.
You’re correct in the last paragraph. But as the rule is written now, it can’t be performance or participation based

You’re correct in the last paragraph. But as the rule is written now, it can’t be performance or participation based
And who is enforcing that? It wouldn't hold up in court if the NCAA came after that either.

But point conceded...they aren't going to be that blatant.

And who is enforcing that? It wouldn't hold up in court if the NCAA came after that either.

But point conceded...they aren't going to be that blatant.
Unfortunately, everything will eventually be challenged in court. In 2026-2027 they’re gonna eventually sue for unlimited eligibility and stay in college forever. Just like anything else, you give an inch, they take a mile.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
Unfortunately, everything will eventually be challenged in court. In 2026-2027 they’re gonna eventually sue for unlimited eligibility and stay in college forever. Just like anything else, you give an inch, they take a mile.
Yep, I've been saying that for a couple years now. All eligibility requirements are going to go away. Both time spent playing and academic requirements. Really thought this was inevitable as soon as NIL was passed.

Once you are making money, restraints on trade that are arbitrary are going to get blown up. I believe the five year rule will definitely go down. 4 years of eligibility makes no sense when the average of students to complete a bachelors is 5 to 6 years now. 4 years of eligibility is a completely arbitrary number.

Then you have the argument of someone making 6 or more figures and supporting a family...how can any organization arbitrarily restrain their ability to make an income.

And add to that, what does getting a D in English Lit have to do with their ability to earn that living.

It is all going to come down hard, IMO, and the ability to take courses will be nothing more than a side benefit like it is to other university employees, which will be seldom taken advantage of.

Reactions: pitt-girl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT