gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Chris Dokish‏@ChrisDokish 39m39 minutes ago
Chris Dokish Retweeted Mark Schlabach

This should be interesting

Chris Dokish added,

Mark SchlabachVerified account@Mark_Schlabach
Sources tell ESPN as many as 3 dozen Division I basketball programs could face NCAA penalties once evidence of FBI probe is public. "It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top. It's the teams that are already there."

2 replies 0 retweets 8 likes

Chris Dokish added,

Sources tell ESPN as many as 3 dozen Division I basketball programs could face NCAA penalties once evidence of FBI probe is public. "It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top. It's the teams that are already there."

Seems like a lot of cheaters out there

THAT'S why JD took off!

Seriously, as much as this team sucks right now, it feels good knowing that at least we don't pay our players 100,000 dollars.

Does it really feel good?

I couldn't care less if we pay our players 1,000,000 dollars and we have good players and win.

There's nothing actually wrong about paying players besides NCAA rules. In every other situation in the world and profession, etc. you get paid for your skill...

When you cover up sexual assault, hire prostitutes, etc., that's when it gets too far.

Pay our next coach $4 million if he can teach how to play tough defense and rebounding. Watch Auburn, UVA, Nova, Gonzaga, Mich St., Xavier, Cindy. We won in the past on Defense 1st or you not playing. Our next coach has to preach that or we will be a perennial has been.

I would be very surprised if the big name schools received a harsh punishment. The NCAA only hammers smaller schools.

Reactions: Chaos
I would be very surprised if the big name schools received a harsh punishment. The NCAA only hammers smaller schools.

Besides, these schools were CLEARLY dealt with by LAW ENFORCEMENT. The PERPETRATORS will go to JAIL. NO ONE ELSE knew about this. The NCAA shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with type of stuff.

Didn't the UPS case argue that legal violations are not under the control of the NCAA? I would not expect much of a response. Even with UNC admitting that athletes were given grades for no work, benefit not available to general student population, there was no penalty. Don't expect much to happen.

The NCAA would never penalize 10-20 major programs at the same time. It would be incredibly difficult with their limited resources to review each individual case and levy a penalty.

They will just elect to punish Prarie View AM or Monmouth because that would be easier and then they can feel good about their enforcement division

Seems like a lot of cheaters out there
Reminds me of baseball when everyone was juicing- the way the Pirates played I knew they were clean. Given Pitt’s modest success pre-KS, I can only assume they are clean as well.

From the link:

"So how bad could be it? In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-co...hes-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

Pitt made the tournament as much as almost anybody out there. Our former coach is the winningest in maybe the greatest conference ever. Howland's and then dixon's tenures were far and way the best years ever in the history of Pitt basketball. I can almost guarantee there will be schools exposed in this that didn't accomplish anywhere near what Pitt did.

Besides, these schools were CLEARLY dealt with by LAW ENFORCEMENT. The PERPETRATORS will go to JAIL. NO ONE ELSE knew about this. The NCAA shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with type of stuff.

The NCAA doesn't have anything to do with this. This is the FBI, the Federal Government.

The NCAA would never penalize 10-20 major programs at the same time. It would be incredibly difficult with their limited resources to review each individual case and levy a penalty.

They will just elect to punish Prarie View AM or Monmouth because that would be easier and then they can feel good about their enforcement division

I don't think you understand what is happening here. The NCAA won't do anything. They can't do anything and were told to stay out of it. The Federal Government, the FBI, is going to handle this and dole out the punishments, which will alter the fabric of college basketball. Top teams and top coaches will be punished by the FBI, not the NCAA. What the NCAA can do is like shooting a water pistol while the other guy, the FBI, has a bazooka.

I don't think you understand what is happening here. The NCAA won't do anything. They can't do anything and were told to stay out of it. The Federal Government, the FBI, is going to handle this and dole out the punishments, which will alter the fabric of college basketball. Top teams and top coaches will be punished by the FBI, not the NCAA. What the NCAA can do is like shooting a water pistol while the other guy, the FBI, has a bazooka.

Why do people keep repeating this? If the FBI proves that specific athletes were paid, the NCAA will have to issue the appropriate sanctions under their own rules.

Chris Dokish added,

Good I hope they find all of the cheater colleges and put the really bad ones "out of business.:

Let's Make College Basketball Great Again! ha ha!

Let's atleast return return the sport to College Basketball with real student athletes.

The others can figure out how to get to the NBA without mucking up college basketball.

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU RAMS! & PITT Panthers!

From the link:

"So how bad could be it? In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-co...hes-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

I wish they'd just come out with it already!

This is why cheating is worth it.

Why do people keep repeating this? If the FBI proves that specific athletes were paid, the NCAA will have to issue the appropriate sanctions under their own rules.

Exactly. The FBI can arrest people who break about 200 categories of FEDERAL LAW, that's it. Everything else will be under the NCAA rules and enforcement.

Now could congress try to step in and regulate college athletics more if the NCAA fails? Sure, would be messy, and is also basically another topic. And it's a particularly partisan era so maybe nothing would get done. Politicians could threaten to do certain things, e.g. codify the supreme court decision about their Sherman Anti-Trust status to make it easier for athletes to get paid; or pass a law changing the national labor relations act to make it easier for athletes to form unions. That might wake the NCAA up?

Reactions: Jpripper88
What is the true "elephant in the room", if this has happened in college basketball on this great of level, what the hell is really happening in college football, which generates much more revenue?

Reactions: gopitt10
Reminds me of baseball when everyone was juicing- the way the Pirates played I knew they were clean. Given Pitt’s modest success pre-KS, I can only assume they are clean as well.
Pops, Dale Berra come to mind. It was everywhere. The steroid stuff started a bit later. Brady Anderson morphed from Freddie Patek to Mickey Mantle.

The NCAA is a crap organization and shouldn't be trusted to impose any sanctions that would be appropriate for the crime committed. These are crimes that will be dealt with by the FBI. I'm sure the NCAA will do their puny sanctions as well, but it pales to what the FBI can and will do.

I guess I can ask a similar question. Why do people continue to not understand how serious this is getting? Paying athletes is just the tip of the iceberg. Let the NCAA deal with that. It goes way deeper than that and it's everywhere.

The NCAA is a crap organization and shouldn't be trusted to impose any sanctions that would be appropriate for the crime committed. These are crimes that will be dealt with by the FBI. I'm sure the NCAA will do their puny sanctions as well, but it pales to what the FBI can and will do.

I guess I can ask a similar question. Why do people continue to not understand how serious this is getting? Paying athletes is just the tip of the iceberg. Let the NCAA deal with that. It goes way deeper than that and it's everywhere.

What can the FBI do about people who violated NCAA rules but not federal laws covered by the bureau? (The answer is nothing.) We might get a few more coaches or shoe salesmen in jail but it'll be the NCAA's mess to clean up after.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT