ADVERTISEMENT

Femi Odukale film breakdown

CougarClaws

Head Coach
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Somewhat lengthy...
Would not consider myself among the top dozen basketball minds of Center Court, however I have developed a bit of an eye for details in the sport. Spent several hours today reviewing film, much of it in slowmo, of Odukale. I watched his 18/19 season 1st, then started in on his 19/20 vids.

18/19: Noticably shorter and lighter in physical build, decent hops, nice left hand finishes around the hoop, decent left hand dribble. Femi pushes a lot of his jump shots, with a lowish release well out in front of his face. Plays a lot on the baseline, lots of corner jumpers. Is not a PG, but has a real nice feel for how to set up his teammates. Lots of dishes in the lane off fast breaks, not many crossovers or between the legs dribbles, but they all look smooth, quick, and coordinated. Although it's clearly against lessor competition than he is playing now.

19/20: Grew a couple inches over the spring and summer, and I swear his hands are closer to his knees now, incredible length for a guard! Packed on some real muscle. Noticably better leaper - at times it seems like he's floating a bit - and elevating for a really long time.

Now has the look of a left hand dominant dribbler - regularly brings the ball up court left handed, even when guarded tight. Dribble is noticably not as tight as last season - think he's still adjusting to the new body, and looking to penetrate much much more aggressivly. Little bit of that Grant Hill vibe from a shape and movement perspective now. Dunks a lot two handed in traffic.

Has developed into a very good playmaker. Sometimes he clearly knows where he's going with the ball before it gets to him - that says "vision" & "thinker" to me. Breaks down his man and penetrates often, has a great feel for the little bounce passes. Lots of those old school dishes in tight to bigs, like Pitt basketball used to be. Gets many rebounds and blocks under his own basket, as he has a tendency to collapse toward the hoop as players he's not defending penetrate.Throws a ton of long outlet passes initiating the break from those defensive rebounds, very impressive part of his game IMO. would not yet call him a strong defender, but he's very good around his own hoop.

Shot looks much improved. No longer seeing the push, now it's more of that pulling the string thing, with a higher release point. Still looks a bit mechanical with it though. Surprised to see hardly any left hand finishes this season, but he is driving to to his right a lot more often it seems, and dunking a ton more, often in heavy traffic.

This is a very exciting player. I am now a huge huge fan. Clearly an unfinished prospect, that has taken a huge leap forward recently in both skill and physical talent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News