ADVERTISEMENT

Few Thoughts on Team

chillsy

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2007
Aldie, Virginia
I was at the VA Tech game last weekend, and as I make my comments below I realize how short our bench is, the fact Capel needs to bring in better talent, and what he had in the cupboard when he took over. All of these observations are from the VA Tech game, which was a disaster, but I have watched enough of this team this year that it all applies:

1. The basketball IQ on this team is low.....they make plays that just make you scratch your head and wonder "what are they thinking?" Slapping a rebound to an opposing player, passing up open shots, constantly passing up opportunities at a fast break, bad decisions with the ball, especially Johnson and McGowens.
  2. I realize Johnson is probably not a true PG, but he waited until less than 12 minutes left in the game to start penetrating, and make plays from that penetration. If they had a deeper bench, I would have sat him the entire 2nd half. No emotion, or urgency to make anything happen. Has regressed huge from last season.
  3. Champagnie is going to have a good career at Pitt. Hustles 100% of the time, tries to make plays, crashes the boards. His shooting was awful at VA Tech, but he was trying to hit 3's and that isn't his game. I was watching him shoot 3's in warm-up and he couldn't make them then either. He should be slashing and hitting the pull-up jumper. Playing the game within 12 feet of the hoop.
  4. Not sure if Murphy's issues are physical or psychological, but he brings zero value to the game right now. A 3 pt. shooter that won't shoot the 3!! I saw it posted here that he is not athletically enough to get his shot off in the ACC and I believe that. Although he won't shoot the wide open 3 either. Probably needs to play in the A-10 or American whatever the conference is called.
  5. Toney is a great athlete, but he reminds me of Cam Wright in a lot of ways. Can't shoot consistently right now, misses too many in close (he had to have missed 2-3 layups), was terrible in traffic at VA Tech. But you can see the potential and he needs to gain that consistency next year if Pitt is to progress. Right now playing strictly on athletic ability.
  6. My 14 year old son commented how big Brown was as we were sitting close to the court. I responded that he disappears in games too regularly. And I was right. He plays soft. Got beat on the boards all night. I know he was exhausted late in the game, but there was a sequence where he did not even leave his feet for a rebound and he just casually reached for the ball. That is unacceptable! I would hope Capel inserts Hughley next year and Brown rides the bench, except for 5-6 minutes a game to give Hughley a breather.
  7. In fact, Pitt plays relatively soft and that is hard to watch having enjoyed the Dixon era with tough minded, skilled and physically dominate players. Before anyone corrects me, I realize this is the ACC and a different brand of bball, but VA Tech outplayed and out-physicalled us ALL game. Again, I realize it is a short bench and the team is tired, but even if they were rotating in 10 players, it would be the same result.
  8. Finally, the team is obviously not listening to Capel and that is a HUGE issue. He has said it and it is obvious by watching the free lancing going on each game. It starts with Johnson and McGowens, as they are just not good basketball players right now. There is virtually no inside presence as Pitt gets beat on the boards constantly. I haven't seen so many layup misses since Aaron Gray played.
I love Pitt basketball, and I think Capel is the right guy to get it turned around. It is not going to happen in 1-2 years, and I would expect us to take a step forward next year and hopefully return to the NCAA tourney in '21-'22. I would not be surprised to see Johnson transfer next season. He just doesn't look like the same player as last season and doesn't looked engaged.

Capel will bring in better players, as we are already seeing that (i.e. Hughley, hopefully Jeffress, Schifino). We'll be back, it is just painful to watch right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News