ADVERTISEMENT

File under, "Didn't see this coming", Taulia Tagovailoa picks Maryland

The only thing I ever said about locks is he is an elite recruiter. He's had a top 10-15 class now prior to this signing.

People assumed he was going to have his pick of where to go, because of his name.

But in the end he was a barely rated 4* coming out of high school. There are no indications he impressed anybody at Bama while there. And is currently rated a 3* player by 247.

I’m not sure he had the choice to go to these schools people were linking him to. Maryland seems about right for his talent projection.

People assumed he was going to have his pick of where to go, because of his name.

But in the end he was a barely rated 4* coming out of high school. There are no indications he impressed anybody at Bama while there. And is currently rated a 3* player by 247.

I’m not sure he had the choice to go to these schools people were linking him to. Maryland seems about right for his talent projection.

Let me know the last time any Pitt commit much less a qb chooses Pitt over Bama, LSU, Michigan, Oregon, etc lol...

Why would Saban hire him? If it were purely recruiting, why make him oc?

He was the single not co OC for 1 year and Shawn Watson could have thrived with that talent. Tua, an NFL line, NFL backs, NFL WR’s. There are plenty of coaches who are good or really good assistants but don’t have what it takes to be a good Head Coach.

He should start off 2-0 this year like last year but then it will continue to get worse as the season goes on. We know he can recruit and he has a bunch of talent in his backyard. But until proven otherwise he is 6-40 as a Head Coach.

The good news is they won’t finish last as Rutgers is in their division.

Reactions: TempleBAPittMPA
Why would Saban hire him? If it were purely recruiting, why make him oc?

Good coordinator but literally the worst head coach in college football history. He’s like Norv Turner bad on steroids.

The fact he hasn’t been accused of any crimes in the last couple years is a victory of sorts I guess, but he will be booted in the next couple years for sure. Back to the coordinator booth for good.

Good coordinator but literally the worst head coach in college football history. He’s like Norv Turner bad on steroids.

The fact he hasn’t been accused of any crimes in the last couple years is a victory of sorts I guess, but he will be booted in the next couple years for sure. Back to the coordinator booth for good.

Give it a year or 2 for the crimes.

Reactions: BFo8
I see it from a different angle. He was Co oc in title only but if you ask tua who orchestrated that offense. He's credited him many times. I'm pretty familiar with the the rbs coach who was at Bama during his run, and he glowed about locks and HIS offense. Huff recruited one of my guys very hard 2 years ago as did the rest of the sec. So I would hear about locks a lot from the opposition.

What I'm not sold on with umd is the rest of the staff.

But, I can tell you this for a fact, Jimmy franks is keeping his fingers crossed that locks fails because he knows life will get real hard if he succeeds. One of his staffers told me point blank that hire has potential to be a real thorn in psu's ass.

Just hope he hates a blue and white team as much as I do..
Maryland’s history against them... 2-40-1 with losses by a combined score of 163-6 in the past 3 seasons. At least Pitt was competitive with them (if we could just ignore the 2nd half of the 2017 game of course, though I won’t forget Pitt jumping up 28-7 in 2016... Difference is they came back and almost stole it, whereas Pitt crumbled).

I was wondering the same thing. How good is he. Taulia is not Tua. If this kids name was Joe Smith would this news even make a ripple. That being said, Good Luck Taulia and whip the pants off Slick Jimmy.

You tried to minimize the signing by saying he "barely" was a 4 star.

I still don’t know what your point has to do with what I wrote?

He was not some big time talent coming out of high school. He was closer to being a middle of the road 3* than he was a 5*. The reviews on him at Bama have not been great. There have never been any reports that he looked like their QB of the future. And now he’s rated a 3*.

The fact that we might consider ourselves lucky to have landed him out of HS is irrelevant to any of that.

Good coordinator but literally the worst head coach in college football history.

Well, he's bad, but for worst HC in history, he'd have to stand in line behind the three guys at Temple who came between Bruce Arians and Al Golden.

I still don’t know what your point has to do with what I wrote?

He was not some big time talent coming out of high school. He was closer to being a middle of the road 3* than he was a 5*. The reviews on him at Bama have not been great. There have never been any reports that he looked like their QB of the future. And now he’s rated a 3*.

The fact that we might consider ourselves lucky to have landed him out of HS is irrelevant to any of that.

He was the #4 rated qb coming out of hs.

He was a consensus 4 star recruit by 247, rivals, and ESPN.

He was the #4 rated qb coming out of hs.

He was a consensus 4 star recruit by 247, rivals, and ESPN.

247 has him as the 8th best QB out of high school that year. Which is impressive enough. I’m not saying he wasn’t a prospect of note.

But consider that his individual rating was a .92 on 247. In the 2018 class, that would maybe have made him about the 18th or 19th rated QB in the class.

Miami was a team he was rumored to. In the previous 4 classes they’ve brought in at QB:

.83 and .97

My point is he wasn’t regarded as some special talent out of HS. He isn’t something that the teams he was rumored to, don’t sign on a yearly basis. And couple that with his performance at Bama so far, I’m not sure he was in that great of a demand.

MD, a team that doesn’t roll in .92 rated QBs every year, seems about right for him.

Maryland is as much a threat to PSU as Tex Cobb was to Larry Holmes.

247 has him as the 8th best QB out of high school that year. Which is impressive enough. I’m not saying he wasn’t a prospect of note.

But consider that his individual rating was a .92 on 247. In the 2018 class, that would maybe have made him about the 18th or 19th rated QB in the class.

Miami was a team he was rumored to. In the previous 4 classes they’ve brought in at QB:

.83 and .97

My point is he wasn’t regarded as some special talent out of HS. He isn’t something that the teams he was rumored to, don’t sign on a yearly basis. And couple that with his performance at Bama so far, I’m not sure he was in that great of a demand.

MD, a team that doesn’t roll in .92 rated QBs every year, seems about right for him.

The only reason he's going there is he wasn't going to have a chance to compete with the incumbent starter at Bama due to covid and his former oc was at Maryland. The Florida school connections were purely because of his brother.

The only reason he's going there is he wasn't going to have a chance to compete with the incumbent starter at Bama due to covid and his former oc was at Maryland. The Florida school connections were purely because of his brother.

That’s not true. The reports of him at Bama were never glowing. There’s a reason why 247 re-rated him a 3*.

And your last sentence is my point. That’s exactly what I said. People thought he was going to a school like Miami because he wants to be in FL and Miami would want him. My point is I’m not so sure Miami would want him. I dont’ think his list of suitors was going to be particularly impressive. He probably belongs at a Tier III type P5 program. MD, Minn., Syracuse, Washington State, etc.

That’s not true. The reports of him at Bama were never glowing. There’s a reason why 247 re-rated him a 3*.

And your last sentence is my point. That’s exactly what I said. People thought he was going to a school like Miami because he wants to be in FL and Miami would want him. My point is I’m not so sure Miami would want him. I dont’ think his list of suitors was going to be particularly impressive. He probably belongs at a Tier III type P5 program. MD, Minn., Syracuse, Washington State, etc.

Where are you seeing him being a 3 star now?

https://247sports.com/Player/Taulia-Tagovailoa-90519/

https://247sports.com/Player/Taulia-Tagovailoa-90519/high-school-192068/

There were several "experts" who thought he might be better than his brother at the same stage of their careers coming out of HS -

Where are the "negative" reports of him while he was at Bama?

It's hard to find many reports at all because Saban doesn't give much info period especially when it comes to backups. If anything, he flips out when asked about the progress of guys who are in that role.

I heard a rumor from an actual coach that he would end up at Oklahoma or Maryland as soon as he hit the transfer portal. The Florida schools were only connected because he said the main reason he signed with bama was so his parents could travel to games. But, in reality he just wanted out of his shadow.

I think he's a good QB. I don't think he's his brother. I do think he has pretty strong arm and some escapeability as a QB.

Where are you seeing him being a 3 star now?

https://247sports.com/Player/Taulia-Tagovailoa-90519/

https://247sports.com/Player/Taulia-Tagovailoa-90519/high-school-192068/

There were several "experts" who thought he might be better than his brother at the same stage of their careers coming out of HS -

Where are the "negative" reports of him while he was at Bama?

It's hard to find many reports at all because Saban doesn't give much info period especially when it comes to backups. If anything, he flips out when asked about the progress of guys who are in that role.

I heard a rumor from an actual coach that he would end up at Oklahoma or Maryland as soon as he hit the transfer portal. The Florida schools were only connected because he said the main reason he signed with bama was so his parents could travel to games. But, in reality he just wanted out of his shadow.

I think he's a good QB. I don't think he's his brother. I do think he has pretty strong arm and some escapeability as a QB.

You’re looking at his recruiting profile rating. You need to look at his current college rating on 247. He’s a 3* with a .87 rating. So a good, not great, 3* prospect.

You’re looking at his recruiting profile rating. You need to look at his current college rating on 247. He’s a 3* with a .87 rating. So a good, not great, 3* prospect.

That rating might be accurate. But, it's kind of ridiculous when kids are true freshman and aren't part of the gameplan to do so.

I'd love to see them re-rank every class 4 years after the kids entered college. Talk about subjectivity bias.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT