ADVERTISEMENT

File under, "No surprise to anyone"

Rutgers is a good win.....you get to beat them in front of the wide nyc market they bring...
I hope that was sarcasm because Rutgers doesn't have a NYC market.
This is original fake news that goes way back.
Born and bred New Yorkers are a mixed group and follow traditional college football powers Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, etc.
A lot of NYC residents are transplants only living in NYC because their job is there. They follow their home state teams.
Rutgers wasn't and isn't on the radar screen. In fact many in NJ don't support Rutgers and follow some of the same colleges as NYC dwellers!

Reactions: Mikefln
Born and bred New Yorkers are a mixed group and follow traditional college football powers Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, etc.
A lot of NYC residents are transplants only living in NYC because their job is there. They follow their home state teams.
Rutgers wasn't and isn't on the radar screen. In fact many in NJ don't support Rutgers and follow some of the same colleges as NYC dwellers!

Cmon man....

You really just talk to hear your own voice, don’t you?

This isn't about the Big Ten, per se. It's about maintaining Michigan and OSU. Delany can't stand not seeing his 2 favorite programs in the end-of-season discussion. PSU is on the rise, and Nebraska could significantly improve under Frost. Wisconsin's likely to remain strong, even if they were down this year. The commissioner is uneasy with all of that as it relates to his two marquee names.

The answer's really quite simple. Everybody goes into 4 conferences, and take the 4 winners. End of discussion. The 4 conferences can/should be football only. All of the other sports stay in the old conferences. ND either hops on board, or they are out. Period.

Reactions: CCvNYC
You really just talk to hear your own voice, don’t you?
You actually think Rutgers has a NYC market.
I grew up in NJ, worked in NYC, and those people in NYC Do Not Support Rutgers other than maybe a few NJ transplants and NYC resident aren't big college football fans.

They like the NFL.

They rout for lots of different teams mostly Top 20 programs.

A quote from the article that I posted below.
“Call a bookie in New York City and ask them how many bets they took on Rutgers,” Frank said. “That will give you an idea of how popular they are.”

Read this article.
http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2380/undefined

Last edited:
You actually think Rutgers has a NYC market.
I grew up in NJ, worked in NYC, and those people in NYC Do Not Support Rutgers other than maybe a few NJ transplants and NYC resident aren't big college football fans.

They like the NFL.

They rout for lots of different teams mostly Top 20 programs.

A quote from the article that I posted below.
“Call a bookie in New York City and ask them how many bets they took on Rutgers,” Frank said. “That will give you an idea of how popular they are.”

Read this article.
http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2380/undefined
The NYC market does not like college football, Rutgers included. No one will dispute that. Of course, that doesn't matter at all for the Big 10 to choose Rutgers.

By choosing Rutgers, they were able to sell the BTN on the cable TV provider's tier one offerings in the NYC market. That's the only thing they were looking for. The fact that Rutgers sucks, and no one watches them is irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT