ADVERTISEMENT

Final thoughts on the season

jlazinger

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2011
Well, we went out with a whimper but here are some thoughts on the season:
  • Hamilton won't be missed. He proved he's not a big conference player once ACC play started.
  • Champaignie is found money. He was our best player this year and we basically won any time he had a big game. Almost 13 PPG and 7 rebounds is a nice line for the year. That 3 point stroke will come up to at least 30% if he spends the summer shooting them. He's tall and athletic enough to always get that shot off.
  • 16 wins for this season stinks. If they don't lose to Nichols state, hold on against L'ville instead of losing in OT, I think we at least feel a little better at 18-15 than 16-17.
  • X was at his best when he could slash and kick. Unfortunately, a lack of outside shooting made this very hard. A reverse 8 TO to 2 assist game yesterday was a sour note to end the season on. It was clear from the start he thought he would breeze through the season and be an NBA pick. We'll find out what he's made of based on how he works this summer. He actually cut his TOs by half per game but his shooting was down by 4%, 3s down by 2% but FT was up 1 %. his points were down by 4 per game too.
  • Trey - I really hope he doesn't leave but he also went backwards in every meaningful stat. Down in FG, 3P, FT (although assists doubled).
  • Toney really turned a corner. FG up 10%! 3P up 8%! Also a great Jaron Brown style defender who can handle 1 through 4. The only regression was rebounding which is likely from him spending more time on the perimeter.
  • Brown - another guy that went backwards in everything except FG (actual 9% improvement). He seems like the type of guy that will leave and be a good stats bad team guy on a bottom tier MAC team.
  • IDK what we will get from AKC but man does that kid play hard. Wish I could say that for everyone on this team.
  • I want Ryan Murphy back. He can't defend at this level but I could see an Ashton Gibbs freshman year type role for him. He was a great asset until he got hurt and then never got it back together, which can happen with concussions. He had 35 threes through the Cuse game on 1/25 which was through 20 games, a nice 1.5 per game. He hit 3 total in the final 10 games, all but one of them losses. Considering two of those losses were by 4 or less, that's likely the difference.
I still feel good about Capel. We have some good talent coming in next year and he's shown he can also bring in some under recruited diamonds in the rough. However, next year they need 19 - 20 wins or people will lose patience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News