ADVERTISEMENT

First of all, I'd like to wish all a Happy Thanksgiving and THEN I'd like to talk about Rivalry Week for College football...

No coach in their right mind is ever going to want to play PSU, WVU, and N Dame, on top of a conference schedule every year. That is just not being realistic. And as far as Pitt trying to get better so we can compete with PSU annually, we have been trying for the past 40 years! And of course PSU fans want to play the game cause they know they have a realistic chance of beating our brains out every year.
The coach should be worried about getting his team ready to play who ever lines up on the other side of the ball. I would much rather play psu, WVU and ND every year, then playing Rhode Island, Wofford and Youngstown State. Going 3-0 against the first three teams gets you ranked in the Top 10, going against the other three may get you mentioned in the area of "others receiving votes".
The outcome of a Pitt - psu game goes well beyond what happened on the field during the game.
I found this to help you understand why it means so much to most Pitt fans...

UF-Miami say hi. Besides, how many that fit that limiting description are in different conferences?

Will OU-Okie St be played in a few years?

OK but Florida plays FSU and its unrealistic that they play 2.

Why does Georgia play GT? Why can Georgia play GT but PSU cant play Pitt?

The coach should be worried about getting his team ready to play who ever lines up on the other side of the ball. I would much rather play psu, WVU and ND every year, then playing Rhode Island, Wofford and Youngstown State. Going 3-0 against the first three teams gets you ranked in the Top 10, going against the other three may get you mentioned in the area of "others receiving votes".
The outcome of a Pitt - psu game goes well beyond what happened on the field during the game.
I found this to help you understand why it means so much to most Pitt fans...
The coach is worried about winning games and keeping his job. Playing PSU, WVU and ND every year along with a conference schedule would make that impossible. This isn't the good old days when we were an independent. And I don't need to be reminded about what it USED TO MEAN to play psu. Wonder if you would feel the same if the psu tight end had caught the sure td pass and we would have blown that first game after totally dominating them and Nardo would be 0-4 against Jimmy Franks? If you can honestly say you would still want to play them every year, then like I said earlier, you're a better person than me.

The coach is worried about winning games and keeping his job. Playing PSU, WVU and ND every year along with a conference schedule would make that impossible. This isn't the good old days when we were an independent. And I don't need to be reminded about what it USED TO MEAN to play psu. Wonder if you would feel the same if the psu tight end had caught the sure td pass and we would have blown that first game after totally dominating them and Nardo would be 0-4 against Jimmy Franks? If you can honestly say you would still want to play them every year, then like I said earlier, you're a better person than me.
Would I feel that same way if the "what if" situation you mentioned would have happened...YES.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT